[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/ - Music Production Genera
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: R-5371492-1391729630-8341.jpeg.jpg (23 KB, 300x297) Image search: [Google]
R-5371492-1391729630-8341.jpeg.jpg
23 KB, 300x297
Previous thread: >>63502237

"Best DAW?" Edition

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Under construction
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com

>/prod/ IRC:
http://www.rizon.net/chat
Channel: #/prod/

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgBS3KnGYvQ
>2:45

How in the FUCK does he get those sounds? It's incredible.
>>
https://clyp.it/la1q3tww

Recorded the drums earlier for this on a shitty 2 track usb 8 channel mixer. Added lots of reverb, and EQ, on the recording path as well as in my DAW holy shit. I tried my best /mu/ I really did. Me and my friend just did the guitars. How do you think it sounds? We haven't added vocals and bass yet.
>>
>>63532051
To me, shitty recording quality always makes this type of stuff sound better. I like it.
>>
Is /prod/ truly dead?

>https://clyp.it/gem2g44l
>>
>>63532051
i enjoyed it like that desu
>>
File: image.jpg (108 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108 KB, 640x960
Figure is so fun to use but it sucks when my lack of theory knowledge fucks me over and I don't know what I'm playing. Can anyone explain how C sharp exists of the key of B?

Pic relate.
>>
>>63533079
It's C# minor. Is it weird to you that D minor exists in the key of C major?
>>
File: like burgers.png (178 KB, 333x363) Image search: [Google]
like burgers.png
178 KB, 333x363
>>63531967
It's just a growler and side chain bro. I mean, not to rag on your guy there, but it's basic stuff.
>>
>>63532051
Sounds like crap. I like it.
>>
>>63532051
also, do you have a soundlcoud or something ?
>>
So Push 2

Worth it over push 1? Push 1's are pretty cheap now
>>
>>63533324
There's gotta be more to it, man. I mean, listen to this other shit he makes.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4xoQN48-pA
>1:00

how do
>>
>>63533542
ive always wonder how and skrillex and them make that sound
>>
>>63533958
I mean, I've gotten close but it was on accident. I wanna know how to do it on purpose.

>https://clyp.it/xnr0dh5p
>1:43
>>
https://clyp.it/mvm12u3q

bad flashcore thing I did earlier today, just messing with some live knob fiddling and the drum synth
>>
>>63532051
this is slick, cant wait to hear the vocals
>>
>>63532446
love that snare. good vibe to this, it'd be cool to hear this fleshed out a bit more
>>
>>63534080
if you get a sound you like, note how you got to that point. save the patch, project file, etc
>>
File: prod on life support.png (2 MB, 1300x865) Image search: [Google]
prod on life support.png
2 MB, 1300x865
>>63532446
>Is /prod/ truly dead?
nah still on life support senpai
>>
>>63532051
you're making me snore repeating that line without anything much to explore. more layers man think kevin think kevin he'll shield you from shit songs aight?

also the song itself feels kinda dispirited but keep goin cause most people can't even make something which sounds halfway decent and you can.

ps compress dem guitars dat bass dose drums n all that needs loudness and clarity
>>
>>63531967
clever resampling and distortion and resampling and distortion and,,,
>>
>>63535191
Also keep playing guitar and learn any song you like whenever you aren't creating
>>
>>63533439
>Memebleton
lol
>>
>>63533079
>>63533079
C#m is the ii in B major, if that's what you mean.
>>
>>63531967
>>63533542
Filters, distortion and resampling.
Look up SeamlessR's "How To Bass" videos on YouTube.
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-24+at+11.47.38).jpg (203 KB, 1508x513) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-24+at+11.47.38).jpg
203 KB, 1508x513
What sound are you working on atm, /prod/?
https://u.pomf.is/vspzej.ogg
https://u.pomf.is/walpfp.ogg
A simple mono saw synth with a sweeping high res lowpass filter.
One normal saw an octave down and one saw two octaves above with 7 voices of unison.
Some delay and reverb for flavor and EQ to remove the highs and lows.
>>
>>63536873
http://dump.no/files/f5a1fa166f34/LTPTTF_Vers_til_Metal.mid

This. I'm working in midi since I'm on my laptop away on easter holiday.
>>
I think the amount of file hosting sites the people here came up with in the last week is quite astonishing desu
tindeck was by far the funniest most shitty one tho
>>
Does anyone know how to add a metronome into ableton?
>>
>>63537288
Enable it, it's next to the tempo the two dots.
>>
morning, /prod/

You guys have any advice on attempting to remove reverb from a vocal stem?
>>
>>63537318
Maybe a multiband comp or a noise gate.
>>
How do I make some sick ass FlyLo style beats?
>>
>>63538228
lofi drums, no quantization except for MAYBE the backbeat, and some grainy synth timbres.
>>
>>63538270
lol is this legit advice or are you throwing shade at flylo?
>>
>>63538228
Learn how to make music in general, you'll know the rest then.
>>
>>63538282
nope, totally legit advice. that's the formula that's worked well for him, barring songs like Ready Err Not and Tronix
>>
I'd like to announce that I just ordered a Dave Smith Prophet 08 module.

That is all. Message ends.
>>
>>63538804
Okay.
>>
>>63538860
I'm sorry. I got over excited.
>>
please assess house/techno hybrid with samples of russian pop music and ag cook
https://clyp.it/qsbylhal
>>
>>63538867
I'm just fucking with you m808, it's sounds pretty awesome. How much did you scoop it up for, considering they might be dipping in price thanks to the new prophets.
>>
File: image.jpg (396 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
396 KB, 1800x1200
redpill me on pic related. worth it?
>>
>>63538943
£1000, they're fecking pricey over here still with import duty and sales tax but fuck it, I wanted one and I had the money so I don't count the loss. It's arriving on Saturday and I'm meant to be recording a singer that day but I might cancel her and just fuck about making analogue noises all day instead
>>
>>63538954
No, just get Serum or Massive or something.
>>
>>63538954
It's great but it's expensive and a resource hog
>>
>>63539050
Why does /prod/ have such a hard-on for Serum and Massive?
>>
>>63540232
Because they're pretty good synths.
But I like Diva and Zebra as well.
>>
>>63538954
Worth it but if you're going to use a lot of it without a monster PC, bounce to audio.
>>
>>63540232
I dont. If you see a plugin mentioned a bunch of times, it's usually just a specific anon who uses it as their go-to synth.
>>
>>63538982
GOD DAMN IT

Ordered too late for courier collect today, no collection tomorrow because muh religious holiday, no collection over the weekend, no collection Monday because muh religious holiday, tl;dr it's not here til Wednesday, Rob Chapman is a fat wanker.

Sorry. Had to vent and you're the only ones who are listening.
>>
>>63536751
That's sorta helpful, but i'm still a little fuzzy. Is there some sort of concept i don't know about that i'm missing.

My theory knowledge goes as far as the circle of fifths.
>>
>>63540693
hm that sucks anon
>Rob Chapman is a fat wanker.
yup he is
>>
>>63540759
You learned the circle of fifths before your learned about diatonic chords? :/
>>
Flying Lotus is my dude.
Can anyone recommend some other artists/producers that have similar ingenuity but aren't trying to becoming FlyLo?
>>
>>63540841
It's ok. I got plenty of analogue toys to keep me amused for a few days.

Rob Chapman is a fat wanker. It's worth saying again.
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 650x1073) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 650x1073
>>63540693
Hahahaha, I can't believe Catholic shit is an actual business holiday over there
>>
>>63540939
What kind of analog toys?

Also, what's the deal with this rob chapman chap? Don't know a thing about him
>>
Anyone have any experience recording trumpets or brass before?

I got a modest setup with a Scarlet 2i4 and a few dynamic mics, should I apply compression before or after? And is there a "go-to" way to mic them? I've heard trumpets can have harsh EQs, so I was thinking of going off-axis...
>>
Attention folks, if you buy Bitwig Studio before 4th of April you get u-he's Hive, Presswerk or Satin for free.
https://www.bitwig.com/en/2ndbday.html
>>
File: WP_20160324_17_24_03_Pro.jpg (2 MB, 3072x1728) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160324_17_24_03_Pro.jpg
2 MB, 3072x1728
>>63541323
pic related

Rob Chapman is the guitar demo guy who works at Andertons and does the product demo videos. He's a /gg/ meme now.

>>63541289
It's weird because I've got a UPS delivery tomorrow, Andertons idiot couriers have the day off though
>>
>>63541559
just turn your head 90 degrees, sorted m8, job's a good un
>>
>>63541559
Get Aviary if it's an iPhone doing that to your photos. Idk what you'd use if you're android or shit phone.

that's some tasty euro you got there, especially all the MN stuff. I'm guessing you got all of those individual voices to do polyphonic stuff, and if so, what's your polyphonic CV setup like?
>>
>>63541559
now I'm jelly

didn't even know he was a /gg/ meme, how come?
haven't been to their threads for quite a while because I don't play a lot of guitar right now
>>
>>63541766
I read "tasty" as "tatty", I was going to go internet ballistic at you for a second.

Polyphony is from the Kenton MIDI to CV, Mutable CVPal and a Beatstep Pro. I don't do any live stuff on it so that's good enough for me. Recorded through Focusrite Octopre/Pro 24 so I get several modules recorded on separate tracks. I dunno, it's not the world's greatest modular but there's some nice sounds in there. I've just built it up over the last year or so, impulse buying odd modules here and there.
>>
File: modularity.jpg (2 MB, 1728x3072) Image search: [Google]
modularity.jpg
2 MB, 1728x3072
ftfy
>>
>>63542183
im new what is that thing on top? the skinny one
>>
>>63541798
If it makes you feel better, the Frequency Central modules aren't built yet. That's why the top row has a load of empty holes.

Just watch any Andertons guitar demo on yootoob and you'll see what a wanker Chapman is.
>>
>>63542200
That's a Quadraverb, crappy FX processor from the dawn of time. I don't use it now, I've got a Lexicon MX-something connected to the Pro24 on SPDIF, might give the Quadraverb to my brother.
>>
>>63542131
Oh yeah, there's another MIDI to CV box that I built from a Pete Kvitek kit. That does 4 channels of conversion. So I've got 2 channels on the Beatstep, one on the Kenton, one on the CVPal and four from that box. Eight channels of polyphony and the Prophet 08 arriving next week, good times.
>>
Anyone else using Zebra2 as go-to?
>>
>>63534080
Pretty cool growls, could use some more details and atmospheric stuff.
>>
any feedback guyzz? thanks in advance for eho is going to give costructive criticism

https://clyp.it/sagluatn
>>
>>63542405
It's easier to give good feedback if you clearly state what you're trying to do.

But I can say this:
-The waveform looks very flat, so it's clearly lacking some dynamic development
-When the snare comes in it kinda feels like it's building towards some new section or something new happening, but it just stays the same. I would suggest just putting a crash like white noise sound after the first round of the snare or something. At least think about how you build anticipation and whether or not to emphasize it.
>>
any idea why an electric piano would give a burst of static through the speakers for a few seconds every time it gets turned on?
>>
>>63542781
because it's electric
>>
>>63542781
electric piano? where do you live, 1972?
>>
>>63538954
are you the same person from the other prod thread were people told you to get serum or massive

get serum or massive

I have serum and I love it. a lot of people swear by massive but I never really liked it.
>>
>>63543006
ye same goy
>>
>>63542943
not that kind of electric piano, the ones that have a sampled piano and a few other sounds. i just use it for the midi out and the weighted keys. where else are you gonna get 88 keys for $25?
>>
>>63542781
Amplifier is kicking on, it's normal for anything that has a speaker and is turned on.
>>
>>63532051
>>63532091
>>63532902
>>63533389
>>63533415

op here thanks for the suggestions and comments

if you like it we have a band camp (that is me and my friend who is the main guitar player and writer) we'll be coming out with an EP soon

shoesthatglow.bandcamp.com
>>
>>63534080
pretty cool anon great job
>>
>>63542231
i'll take it desu
>>
making a mix(tape) to promote my next album. this is the first 10 minutes or so. whaddya think?

https://clyp.it/zfqnrjnm
>>
bippety bump
>>
>>63544212
>https://clyp.it/zfqnrjnm
please spare the public's ears and do not release this.
>>
File: defeat.png (40 KB, 283x278) Image search: [Google]
defeat.png
40 KB, 283x278
>>63545138
k
>>
What anti virus is /prod/ using?

When mastering I turn my wifi and anti virus off but I don't want to do that everytime I use my daw
Avira (which I use atm) uses way too much ram, I tried avast but it became buggy really fast
>>
>>63540232
mainly because massive (dont know about serum) is a workhorse. People brush it aside because it takes a bit of work to make decent sounding patches.
>>
>>63545641
the best antivirus of all: a separate computer that's not hooked up to the internet
>>
So I've been watching this guy called frankjavcee on YouTube and in every video he is using pirated vsts and even admits it and that he gets his drum samples from tpb. his version of sylenth says Team Vtx on it. Could he get in trouble for using these? What about if you wanted to make songs to sell and you were using pirated vst presets, could/would you be sued? Like what if the company who made the soft synth heard your song and how it used a preset in it, would the company look your name up in their user data base to see if you had paid for the synth or not? or does that not happen?
>>
>>63545974
If you're dumb enough to make videos or screenshots of pirate shit, you might get sued especially if you're big. Otherwise, no, they won't come after you.
>>
>>63545974
>Like what if the company who made the soft synth heard your song and how it used a preset in it, would the company look your name up in their user data base to see if you had paid for the synth or not?
how does this question keep getting asked? why does everyone think software devs hire these non-existent loss prevention detectives?
>>
>>63545974
sample libraries and sampling is a tricky thing. As far as synths go, there's little to be proved since it's hard to provide evidence that you used one spesific synth and not another since you can make most of the sound very much alike.

Samples are a bit more tricky since unless you manipulate them, they can prove that it is their sample you are using.

Most companies dont bother since they would lose more money on prosecuting you rather than letting it go.

Besides dont be a bitch. If you make money on the shit you're putting out, be a gentleman and at least buy something from the poor buggers.
>>
>>63545974
They don't care about it, why would they? Also him using software in his videos is still good advertising

If you're a super famous producer things might change but then you'd have enough money to buy the shit anyway
look at kanye, nobody care about him pirating serum

I wonder if frank lurks here sometimes btw
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Dual concentric pots need to come back.
>>
>>63546173
oh I'm talking about software like soft synths etc btw, sampling is a bit different
>>
>>63546179
Never liked those desu
>>
>>63531938
does this count as post nightcore
https://clyp.it/vg15bgih
what is post nightcore
I can't keep up with these microgenres
>>
Can i dj live in a club with studio headphones or should i get a pair of dj headphones for that?
>>
>>63538282
That is literally fly Los style tight there. Organic loose soul and hip hop style percussion with gritty atmosphere and electronics. His style is very off best and that's not to say off best as in shitty, the syncopation and cadences tend to happen on the off brat of his songs, the "and" of you will. Gives them a nice bounce.
>>
>>63546814
Off beat. Fuck auto correct.
>>
File: avid-header-graph.jpg (214 KB, 945x492) Image search: [Google]
avid-header-graph.jpg
214 KB, 945x492
Anyone here have experience with this?

I have to go to the studio I work at today and basically learn as much as I can about using this thing in like one day
>>
hey, /prod/

can anyone give me some advice on making synths full and smooth (i.e. not boomy)

is it mostly compression? if so what kind of settings would be ideal

the start of this is an example of what kind of timbre i mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3S1gtgVGrk

thx pals
>>
>>63545641

A Macbook Pro
>>
>>63532446
>https://clyp.it/gem2g44l
nice it sounds like that song from "drive"
>>
what should i download after ableton for hip hop production
>>
>>63547362
>implying I will ever buy a single apple product

>>63547159
lowpass to filter out harsh top end, sine waves, compression, some reverb

>>63548678
drum sample packs
>>
if youve been making tracks with vengeance drum samples that you didnt buy are you screwed? i found this from some of the documentation

"The copyright of this samplepack is owned by
Vengeance-Sound.com
Unauthorised copying/renting/sharing
and reselling is strictly prohibited and will be
pursued by international law.
Each sample pack has got it's unique watermark,
so our legal department can track every
illegal copy on the internet back to it's
original licensor."

is this bs?
>>
>>63549586

What that means (if true) is that the person who bought the sample pack, and shared it, is screwed.
>>
>>63542231

>crappy

As long as you have the original power supply and the display works, its breddy good imo. Just don't pay more than ~40$ for one.
>>
>>63549586
I call bs

there's no way they can watermark single kicks etc.
it would probably be way too much work and how would they even find out if the kick sits somewhere deep in the mix, probably processed as hell?
Also if I upload a song on soundcloud why would they think I pirated their sample pack? I could have legally bought it
They're probably just trying to scare people so that they don't share the sample packs
>>
>>63550561
I just reread the post and only now get that they watermark the whole samplepack so they know who uploaded it and not individual samples

derp
>>
>>63547159
A lot of the "not boomyness" is in the envelope. It has no attack, no decay, and full sustain. So the volume is just all the way up when you hit a key, like an organ.

Beyond that, the sound itself is also fairly organ-like, basically a sine wave or something along those lines (triangle maybe)

Then it has that nice analog warm sound that means that they probably used hardware...you could try to simulate that with some tape saturation plugin or just regular saturation.

Compression isn't going to do much since the envelope is basically flat anyways, but you can feel free to compress it a little bit anyways especially with any sort of "warm" sounding compressor plugin you can find.
>>
>>63550684
thanks for the response, very helpful.
>>
>>63550592
ooohh that would make much more sense if thats what they meant because i dont see how they could do that either
but hypothetically if someone not too big had a song on itunes that had drum samples from these packs in songs that have nothing done to distort them, do you think that would be a problem to worry about, i dont think anyone would really care since its not real popular
>>
File: will smith confused.jpg (16 KB, 500x302) Image search: [Google]
will smith confused.jpg
16 KB, 500x302
Being relatively new to music production, I wanted to ask how you guys process of learning synthesis was. To me, the process is overwhelming. The concept of waves, freq, LFOs, filters, etc.. are complicated are hard to keep up, especially when every synth is difference in sound and layout.
Is there any easier way behind this or do I have to plow through it?
>>
>>63551199
I didn't "learn", per se. I just played around until I learned what everything did and watched a shitton of YouTube videos that weren't necessarily about synthesis but were modular jams/sound design showcases.

I had more fun that way. YMMV.
>>
Anytime I use Massive it mutes every other program I have running, does this happen to anyone else? Anyway to fix it?
>>
File: B8ImgCiCUAEjkch.jpg (90 KB, 600x596) Image search: [Google]
B8ImgCiCUAEjkch.jpg
90 KB, 600x596
How do I get that gritty synth sound used in a lot of Flying Lotus songs?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU9YRGLPDQ8 [Embed] (0:44)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj2RIL4lgK4 [Embed] (0:40)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcUPxzhlbkQ [Embed] (2:19)
I don't care whether it's software or hardware, I just want some type of solution
>>
>>63551389
>>63538228
fucking hell find your own sound
>>
>>63551309

Are you using Massive in standalone mode - ie: running it from a shortcut to the application (Mac OS) or from the Start Menu in Windows?

If so, then it might be the case that Massive is grabbing your audio interface exclusively for its own use, the way around it would probably be to use it as a VSTi instead, hosted within a DAW - the DAW will then have access to your interface and any VSTs hosted by the DAW have their audio piped through the DAW.

If you are using it as a VSTi and this is happening within the DAW (all other VSTs going silent) it might be hogging CPU but that's a total guess - I've never seen this happen and CPU hogging would affect everything in the DAW, including Massive itself.
>>
>>63551456
Im not the other guy that asked how to make flylo style beats. I just want to know how to do that synth sound. Plenty of other producers like samiyam and hudson mohawke use that same synth sound, but i knew way more flylo songs off the top of my head
>>
>>63551528
Yeah I've been using it standalone, I'll give it a go using it in my DAW, thanks
>>
>>63550817
no, no problem at all
>>
>>63551644
thank you for replying, seriously
>>
>>63551296
Alright, thanks.
>>
>>63551389
Sounds like lots of pitch modding with the LFO, for starters.

What I like to do when trying to emulate a synth sound is start with a basic wave type, get all the LFO, filter, envelope, and effect settings close, then go back and find which wave type sounds best. If it requires multiple oscillators, repeat as necessary.
>>
https://clyp.it/0rxr51mc

Really out of my comfort zone. Thoughts?
>>
Hey /mu/

What do you think of mynoise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjRnp9502-8
>>
>>63554047
The progression is a little weird but it's a great song. Nice job, man. I like the sounds.

Even though I like the kick, it feels like it's missing something so that it goes from good to great. Also, the sound you're using for the snare is weird too.

Again, besides the progression and the snare, good job. wouldaddtomyspotifyplaylist/10
>>
Can someone help me find artists that make similar music to Masafumi Takada & Jun Fukuda's killer7 OST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXJ4-ZJZHKQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt-9kPoXPRc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMRUxd3b2Vw

I especially love how darkly ethereal it is and how airy the synths sound while keeping this very arthouse aesthetic.
>>
>>63554654
Cheers, good constructive criticism.
>>
>>63551199
I thought it was in the pastebin but look for 'new york school of synthesis' videos on youtube. You'll find some videos that look like they were ripped from a 90's VHS; three videos to be exact, one hour each. They're called "intro to synthesis" or something like that. So when you have the time, grab a bowl of food and sit down to watch a while until you've watched them all.

It's really intuitive once you see it explained, especially if you're messing with like, a synth vst in ableton while he's explaining it. After that, most synth-related things, like what a filter does and what timbre is, are like riding a bike; you never forget.
>>
>>63554900
After fucking around with synths for over a decade you will come to realise that 99% of the time the only useful shit is cutoff and resonance. Just twiddle those and you will be squelching and squeeling in no time.
>>
File: barritonesingers.gif (652 KB, 450x120) Image search: [Google]
barritonesingers.gif
652 KB, 450x120
>>63547159
>What are Pad Presets: The Post
>>
>>6354564
windows defender my man
>>
>>63554985
do you feel cool yet?
>>
How do you clear your samples' copyrights?
>>
>>63555232
its slowly starting to come on
>>
>>63555383
you pay or wait until the original maker has been dead for like 70 years I think.

Or somehow make sure it's considered 'fair use'
>>
>>63555555
>>
>>63555565
>kpop general
what a waste

>>63538954
I torrented it once the first crack was out so I could try it out. It's pretty cool especially some of the samples but like >>63539692 said, it's a huge resource hog and is highly overpriced. If you want a good synth, get serum.

>>63535281
Ableton is literally perfect, what are you on about?

>>63532446
Reminds me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GW6sLrK40k

>>63534080
The atmosphere in this is great.
>>
I hear everyone always going on about Ableton, but I am too set in my Reason/Cubase/Ardour ways. I just can't be fucked learning another way of doing shit. I started out on Cubase on an Atari ST with a black and white screen...I never use Cubase any more though, just Reason and Ardour/zynaddsub etc.

SHould I really give a shit and force myself to learn Ableton?
>>
>>63555897
If what you're using right now works for you there really isn't any reason to switch.
>>
>>63555945
Yeah, I figured as much.

Fuck, I still use software from 2001 for amen break cutting sometimes. I am too set in my ways.
>>
If anyone likes drum and bass, give this a listen and tell me what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyufY-GNAUI
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (147 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
147 KB, 1280x720
I having a problem with Sylenth1 that seems really simple but it's been bugging the hell out of me. I've been randomly going through banks and playing with presets just to see if I could find something I like. I finally did find some presets I like and now I can't figure out how to identify the bank the presets came from. Can someone help me out?
>>
>>63554047
It sounds like something I would make kind of. Not sure if that's good but I feel a connection.
>>
File: Bass EQ.png (153 KB, 1366x699) Image search: [Google]
Bass EQ.png
153 KB, 1366x699
https://clyp.it/wgbcx11k

Am I eqing my bass right?
I'm not very good at... making my instruments sound good.
Any tips, or YouTube videos I should check out, there's so many tutorials, and I feel almost over informed. If that makes sense.
>>
Do I need a sampler in order to use Ableton well or can I just use my computer's keyboard?
>>
im looking for stems but i dont know where to find them. whats the best place to find stems? im trying to mash up 3 of kai wachis songs (kannibal, X and echelon)
>>
>>63556929
Did you start with a sine wave and build on that?

Fuck that bollocks, just find a decent preset, then if you "must" change the sound do it from there. You'll save time.
>>
>>63557050
No, I started with a preset.
Woofer loving bass in Ableton.
>>
>>63549586

BS for sure
>>
>>63551199
Buy some euro rack gear. Get a oscillator and a filter to start with use them until you understand what they do, then get an envelope do the same, then a LFO do the same, add one module at a time. By the time you have those four modules you'll have a basic understanding of synthesis.
>>
What's a fairly cheap portable microphone I can use for creating my own samples to distort? Is there possibly something I can just plug into my iPhone?

Also should I just stick with FL Studio if I don't want to buy any hardware for an input?
>>
I want to make music as good as kanye west so bad
>>
>>63555811
>Ableton is literally perfect
lmfao, says every beginner electronic producer ever
>If you want a good synth, get serum.
ahahahaha, you're one of those guys too, lmfao
Don't get me wrong, theres nothing /bad/ about those two tools , they're just really not any more special than any other similar tools out there
>>
https://clyp.it/heng0jki

I am so proud.
>>
>>63559065
>9 minutes long

y tho
>>
>>63559065
pretty intense videogame music
you should master it though with a limiter and make it more crisp maybe??
https://clyp.it/t4qbcurp
check this accidental meme edm i did
>>
Someone give me a rundown why Massive is good? I see it praised, but I'm not sure how to go about using it, I have some sounds I downloaded that I can play with my midi controller but thats about all I know what to do with it

Am I suppose to make my own sounds? Tweak some sounds? Is the manual recommended reading or should I suck some tutorial dick?
>>
>>63559414
Fuck around with it til it sounds good. If it doesn't sound good maybe watch a tutorial then fuck about some more.
>>
File: 1458533844588.jpg (55 KB, 1057x611) Image search: [Google]
1458533844588.jpg
55 KB, 1057x611
>tfw can't capture the right emotion in my music because I'm too much of a newbie to know anything about what I'm doing.
>tfw not motivated to even try anymore because of it.

How the fuck do i get past this?
>>
>>63559457
Practice.
Either suffer the pain of harship or suffer the pain of regret.
>>
>>63559414
Because it has a lot of dank waveforms, filters and features to fuck with and make lots of sounds. However it's kinda dated, you might wanna look into Serum. And yes, you're kinda supposed to get into synthesis after a while. Neither manual nor tutorial, just experiment and fuck around with every knob and whatnot.
>>63559457
You wouldn't be asking this question if you were truly passionate about making music. Spend time and soon enough you'll get good, nothing's easy.
>>
>>63559443
All right I'll fucked around with it, just fuck around with the sounds I already have?

>>63559522
I'll look into Serum, but I'm thinking I should get use to one before I go diving into another? Or is it better to get to get into the new and shiny since im new to it all?

I should just get to fucking around, this whole questioning thing puts dents into my productivity
>>
>>63559618
If you haven't gotten used to Massive yet, just get right into getting used to Serum. After a while you'll figure out all synths kinda work on the same mechanics.
>>
>>63559618
>>63559869
serum is 10x more intuitive and has the better interface in my opinion
>>
>>63560143
You can even load up the Massive wavetables on Serum!
>>
>>63559869
>>63560143
All right I'll dive right into, thanks for the replies friends
>>
>>63560439
Go make great music friend!
>>
>>63559457
Learn about Major and minor triads and diatonic harmony. Memorize the stricture of a Major and minor scale and the chords that go along with it. That way you'll lay the basic foundation of bring able to make your song sound "happy" or "sad" when you want it to.

Its only difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first.

http://tobyrush.com/theorypages/
This one is pretty cool but there are many resources out there that teach this same concept in different ways.
>>
>>63558087
>I want to learn about synthesis
>BUY EXPENSIVE GEAR
Literally the worst advise ever.
Kill yourself.
>>
>>63560503
You'll also know what chords go with each scale aka what chords you can use to build/release musical tension without sounding off key.

Just memorize it by using it. It helps if you have a midi keyboard cus you can play and see the intervals but it's not absolutely necessary.
>>
>>63558087
>use them until you understand what they do
Or just let a nigga on YouTube explain it to you in 3 minutes or less

Not everyone is willing to mortgage their house to buy a euro rack.
>>
>>63559869
anyone know where I can get a good windows crack for serum? have the demo, love it. can't find a crack though...
>>
>>63560715
Why Would You Even Need A Windows Crack Nigga Hahaha Microsoft is Literally Giving it Away Free Hahaha Lmao
>>
>>63560715
THere's one at zombo.com

You just have to wait for the speech intro to finish before it lets you into that part of the site.
>>
>>63560715
http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5122281
>>
>>63560503
I've already learned a ton about scales and harmony. what about things like rhythm though? I've been struggling with that a bit actually. I want to study all sorts of genres rhythms and styles but for the internet is shit tier when it comes to finding information on music.
>>
>>63560833
sometimes I load up a song I like in my DAW and roughly warp it so I can loop it
Then I try to recreate the song (melodys and chords don't have to be the same but with a similar rhythm and feel to them)
then when you're finished you can look at it and see similarities and differences to other genres etc.
I think it's a good way to "learn" genres and active listening as well
>>
>>63560736
Nice troll. I'm pretty sure this speech never ends.

>>63560770
Thanks bro.
>>
File: steve duda.jpg (6 KB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
steve duda.jpg
6 KB, 300x199
>>63560715
>I have the demo, love it.
Then buy it.
>>
>>63561001
<3
>>
>>63561063
I will probably buy it when I have the money saved up. Using the crack for now though. I'd like to get all the free updates down the line.
>>
https://clyp.it/hdbdxkfd

some tech-house. too cliche?
>>
File: 20150828_014843-1.jpg (3 MB, 1905x2625) Image search: [Google]
20150828_014843-1.jpg
3 MB, 1905x2625
https://clyp.it/ssa2ozcd

I have next to no idea what I'm doing is this acceptable music?
>>
>>63562281
>https://clyp.it/hdbdxkfd
I dont like the vocal samples, they don't add anything to it

>>63562334
>https://clyp.it/ssa2ozcd
I liked it until the drop, that felt a bit too cliche
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1629x1629) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1629x1629
>>63560633
>>63560702

Buying a oscillator and a filter is hardly expensive. Having some simple hands on stuff like a couple of cheap euro modules is much more fun than watching YouTube videos.
If you don't want to buy what I suggested then that's fine. The question anon asked was what's a good way to learn synthesis, which I replyed with a good way to learn.

If you weren't some poor idiot that can't afford to spend some money on something you enjoy then that is your problem, but it doesn't make my awnser incorrect. Anon asking the question may well have a job and not be some fuckwit that can't afford a couple of hundred pounds therefore it might be helpful to them...although it also may not.

Fucking hell this board really does have its moments of retard influx.
>>
File: ON&ON2.jpg (145 KB, 501x457) Image search: [Google]
ON&ON2.jpg
145 KB, 501x457
THIS: https://soundcloud.com/forduft
>>
>>63563127
He could also stick to software since it's easier to get your hands on and won't cost him a dime.
>If you weren't some poor idiot that can't afford to spend some money on something you enjoy then that is your problem, but it doesn't make my awnser incorrect. Anon asking the question may well have a job and not be some fuckwit that can't afford a couple of hundred pounds therefore it might be helpful to them...although it also may not.
I'm not poor.
Spending "a couple of pounds" on a hobby you know absolutely nothing about just sounds like a bad idea to me.
>>
>>63563171
FUCK OFF
>>
>>63563234
yo m8, I know this bothers you because you have asked about 5 times in the last few threads now but there isn't a single reason to worry senpai
>>
Hi I made this,
it's my first time using ableton

https://clyp.it/vp5a1kni
it's a hiphop beat
>>
>>63563324
sorry lol, thanks
>>
>>63563379
no reason to be sorry senpai

>>63563376
you used other daws before tho right? bretty good
>>
>>63563418
only FL previously
>>
>>63563179
I wasn't disagreeing with software being cheaper. Yes I realise you could get a cheap or free soft synth to learn on if you own a computer. You could also read a book on how synths work, or buy a simple synth...in its most basic form a few euro rack modules is also a good option.

Anon wasn't specific on anything other than being confused by it all.

So to reply with a more fitting awnser other options would be a simple software synth like Monark, but obviously not actually Monark as its obviously too expensive for someone to learn synthesis on, or a simple hardware synth like a Volca bass or keys...presuming that it's not to complicated and £90 isn't too much money to spend on a synth to learn on also.

>no need to be a prick about it here there are plenty of other boards on here you can act like a retard and be welcomed, but not so much here.
>>
working on a beat right now, wondering what you guys think so far. it's a wip so keep that in mind.

https://clyp.it/051jnwlj

I looooove serum, shits dope as fuck.
>>
>>63563580
sounds good so far, is the synth a preset or you design it yourself?

just needs a thick bassline and it's pretty much ready to be sketched out into a basic arrangement
>>
>>63563628
yeah that's what I was thinking and no they're presets. But they're not just the serum presets, I downloaded a bunch of presets from other sound designers as well. I will eventually get to designing my own sounds with Serum, but I just knew exactly what I wanted for this and found it immediately so I used it.

Also, I realized Ampology in Serum is the bass used on 30 Hours by Kanye West. It's used somewhere on TLOP I swear to god. if I'm not mistaken
>>
>>63563580
needs a good sub, a little more mastering to even things out a bit, then it'll be real nice
>>
>>63563772
yeah I am trying to find a decent sub to put on it now. Haven't really mixed or mastered it yet obviously. Gonna wait until I get all the sounds I want together. Gonna add some pads, some little trills and fills here and there and elaborate on the percussion hell of a lot.
>>
File: image.jpg (549 KB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
549 KB, 2048x2048
I've gotten decent at making music but still such at mastering/mixing

Would it be okay to outsource my mixing mastering to a pro? I want my shit to sound good and I feel like that is holding me back
>>
>>63563483
>>63563179
>>63563127
>>63560633
>>63558087
>>63551199
Rather than arguing like retards let's explain to anon what his options are.

With softsynths, obviously your options are cheaper, if you have a DAW then you might already have some synths you can learn on. As other people have mentioned, there's plenty of guides on youtube, as well as in the pastebin in OP.

However, for some people, synthesis is hard to wrap their head around, for me personally it took a while to understand envelopes, and it was only after I took a sound design class that it really clicked. Having a tactile interface with physical hardware might help you since you can instantly see and hear how your controls affect your sound. It's a little less intuitive with softsynths for some people, so if you want to try out hardware, there are affordable options, like getting a couple of basic rack modules, or the Arturia Microbrute.
>>
File: ROLAND_MC303[1].jpg (627 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
ROLAND_MC303[1].jpg
627 KB, 2048x1536
Saw a Roland MC-303 for sale pretty cheap here and listened to a few videos on Youtube and it looked interesting and had quite a lot of sounds I really like.

Would it be a good buy if I enjoy producing house and techno?

I've never used hardware before nor do I know a lot about it, so I'm not sure if I'd need a lot more gear with it to use it / record it in Ableton.

Might ask in /bleep/ too since this is their kinda thing also.
>>
>>63563814
Absolutely! There's people who's job it is to just mix or to just master. Odds are (if you're talking to serious professionals) your mix engineer and mastering engineer won't be the same person (different set of skills required, differently tuned monitoring, etc), but oftentimes mix engineers have a go-to mastering guy who can help you out. The mixing part might be kind of expensive, depending on how in-depth your project is, the mastering is fairly cheap by comparison.

What kind of music do you make? With more DIY genres like techno and experimental stuff, sometimes it's better to try to at least mix yourself, as the mix can be part of the art form. It's okay to outsource this too though, and most people who mix themselves will still have mastering done professionally.
>>
>>63563127
I have a modular synth too. It's one hell of a teaching tool for young musicians, but it's not a really cost effecient one. My first system consisted of a VCO, VCF, VCA, EG, midi2CV, and an envelope follower, after the rack ears and power supply it costed about $1000, I've since put more into it.
>>
>>63563907
Anything is a good buy if you like the sounds (and assuming the one you saw is in proper working condition; be aware though that if something happens to it it may be hard to get repaired for lack of older parts). As far as getting it into Ableton, do you already have an audio interface? If so, the 303 has 1/4" outputs on the back and you can just run that into your interface and into Ableton. Syncing it to Ableton's clock might be a bit more involved though, you'll have to do some research about that.
>>
>>63563911
I make experimental beats. Also sometimes house with samples and stuff.
>>
>>63564009
If he has a worthwhile interface, it would also have midi which the MC series can be clocked by
>>
>>63564020
The good thing about experimental music is that there are no real rules about mixing, so if you want to try to learn more about the process, you might find it to be worthwhile. That being said, a good mix engineer will enhance your mix and make it sound more cohesive without really changing your sounds or changing the personality of the record. You might need to work fairly closely with your engineer to take your mix in the direction you want it. But if you're totally satisfied with the production and just feel you want to have it polished up, then a mix engineer is definitely a very viable option, in any genre. Mixing can be fun/creative but it's definitely not for everybody.
>>
>>63547069
Don't worry anon, it's not nearly as complicated as it looks.
A studio I worked at had one of these (maybe it was an older model, i dunno) and it was self explanatory. I had no problem using it despite having no previous experience.
>>
>>63545641
I just use mbam to scan my computer once a while.
Protip: dont download stupid shit.
>>
File: rolandju06.jpg (51 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
rolandju06.jpg
51 KB, 500x500
does anyone know how these compare the the 106?
>>
>>63534080
this sound really cool, nice mix of 80's synth aesthetics and modern neuro.

My only gripe is that the "neuro" bass is a bit hard and harsh in the upper mid frequencies which can be a problem that is amplified when you play it on a loud hard system. There's only tiny 1-2 db adjustments with a decent EQ and I think it would be perfect. Or just lower the "neuro" bass down 2-3 db.
>>
>>63563814
Yes.

At least mastering tend to be the norm to outsource. Mostly because its a fact that you can tend to get to close to your own mix and it's good to have a pro with a fresh set of ears do your mastering for you.
>>
Anyone here tried any arduino midi/cv stuff or any other diy solutions?

I might build a synth with a kit but I dont want to spend 120 bucks on the midi/cv stuff, since I need to save some money right now
>>
>>63564745 here
or is there any other way I can send notes to an analog synth? I obviously can modify it however I want
>>
File: ps1 (1).png (108 KB, 194x192) Image search: [Google]
ps1 (1).png
108 KB, 194x192
https://clyp.it/etamirgh

is it boring?
>>
>>63565884
>https://clyp.it/etamirgh
Not boring, but I would take some of the high end off of that bass, it's grimey and gritty to the point where it sounds like buffering issues at some points.
>>
>>63538908
I'm really digging some of those sounds.What daw did you use? any plugins you recommend?
>>
what are you working on today /prod/?
>>
>>63566503
studying for my last math exam ;_; boring as hell
>>
>>63566503
Nothing c|:^P
>>
>>63566503
I have a gig tonight, I'll be practicing with the band as soon as my shift ends at the end of this hour.
>>
File: 256.png (23 KB, 489x423) Image search: [Google]
256.png
23 KB, 489x423
>>63566503
I'm reading an audiology book. My life is ruined and I'm contemplating doing an audiology course.
>>
>>63560833
Familiarize yourself with the Kodály method of rhythmic phrases. Learning it and using it is the beginning of learning to play an improvised melody without falling out of rhythm.

Seeing how every composition is based on an improvisation, it has of course helped me in my composition process, especially when trying to give different rhythmic vibes to melodies.

So you can make a beat and improv over it 'in-sync' and keep whatever good melodies come up. Or you can have a melody you like and play it in many different rhythms using the rhythmic vowels (pronounced syllables) that Kodály gives to each rhythmic figure (whole, half, quarter note, etc).
>>
https://clyp.it/x130o34k

this is the first thing i've ever done 100% with a microphone, the percussion is just me playing with shit lying around my desk, there's some whistling, guitar slides, and i used some shitty vst to pitch my voice to sound female

also i took a bunch of fans and aimed them at the mic, then put a bunch of resonators and them and they ended up sounding like a really smooth pad

thoughts?
>>
I just made a net(for now) label for me and two of my friends that make music, its based around post rock, industrial and trip hop stuff and i'm wondering how the fuck do i get the bandcamp thing to work, should they upload their stuff to their own bandcamps and also to the label's bandcamp?
>>
>>63566503
history shit. wish i were mixing.
>>
>>63569098
You just add the label's name on the artists BC.
>>
>>63569499
wait so i dont even need a bandcamp's label?
i dont really get it senpai
>>
>>63569542
Nah, just add the label's name on the release on the artist's BC.
>>
File: indios.jpg (91 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
indios.jpg
91 KB, 640x640
https://clyp.it/gpafr5kx
>Beat
>Bass guitar
>guitar
>sleigh

gonna try to get some1 to drop some lines to this soon. any criticism on the mixing?
>>
>>63566503
some ambient synth music with some hip hop rythms. Really just a exercise in getting shit done so this will probably end up on a 4-5 song EP. I just want something I can make artwork for and sit with a finished product in the end. Way to much I do is left in the abyss that is my projects folder.
>>
>>63570283
Don't rush to finish anything man, honestly that's going to stifle you in the long run. I know what you mean about having an abyss of songs in the projects folder. But don't just rush to put something out, especially if you feel it isn't finished. Don't make an EP of half assed songs just to release something man.

I was toying around with some ambient stylings today, tried mixing it together. What do you guys think? I called it Twouhtrix Dot Always cause it's totally like...a Oneohtrix Point Never rip off.

https://clyp.it/2yd5jxjz
>>
>>63570514
what the fuck, it didn't show as clipping n my mixer but there's a ton of clipping hold the fuck on.
>>
>>63570532
>>63570514

Here we go, took care of the clipping.

https://clyp.it/skguc3jg

Can anyone suggest a good master and compressor and limiter for FL Studio aside from FL Limiter and Maximus? I have a feeling those are both utter shite. I've heard Izotope is really good?
>>
>>63563907
OH MY GOD! I had one of these. The pitch knob broke on it though and it would randomly drop to like -62 semitones and sound extremely muddy and shit.

But it was fucking awesome for when I did use it. Made plenty of great rap beats on that thing.
>>
>>63570514
>But don't just rush to put something out
these are things that have been sitting around 95% done for about 3 years, I'm in the process of just finishing them and polishing them this last week.

but thanks for the heads up and food for thought.
>>
>>63570640
>Izotope

Izotope is great for good results very fast and not very taxing, you should try it out.
>>
>>63570668
anyone wanna chip in?
>>
File: GVAy9Ug.png (9 KB, 150x135) Image search: [Google]
GVAy9Ug.png
9 KB, 150x135
ok, newfag at this. weird question for /prod/ that works with metal.

I use an SM57 and recorded my guitar parts with a hi pass filter, low pass filter, multiband compressor, eq and another compressor. with all those on my tracks, everything was muddled and barely audible. not crisp, audible sound. I took all of those off and it sound much better (not perfect however).

I put all those plugins on when I was recording with an amp sim, but with a mic'd up amp it made it sound awful. Which of those plugins should I keep and tweak for a microphone?
>>
>>63570966
use as little as possible to achieve the sound you want.

I would say a HFP and single-band compressor is all you really need on the mic. now, when you start hammering and carving your mix you may want to tweak the EQ a little more with some boots or cunts here and there but the 2 things you'll pretty much benefit from right out of the gate is HPF and compression
>>
>>63544212
dope
>>
>>63544212
how long have you been making music for
>>
>>63570850
Perhaps I will. Need to find a demo version first. I think one of the studios I recorded in some years ago used it, seemed really nice. I feel like I grasp the concepts of mixing more so than mastering.

Anyone know of any good videos or reading material that better explain the methods of mastering or is it all really just preference?
>>
Best soft synths? I'm currently using Sylenth 1, Serum, Massive, Zebra, Iris 2, and the Ableton Synths.
>>
>>63570966
Honestly, I would recommend recording without any effects or plugins on your track, just the raw sound. You can always add the effects afterward and then tune them to how you want. If you place the effects on before hand they are now burned into the track and you're stuck with having to adjust and re-record. Don't put effects on anything when recording, unless it's distortion or something similar from a pedal. All mixing effects should be done at the very end of the song making process, and mastering as the very final step.

Also, point the mic parallel with the cone of the speaker about 6 inches from it, I've heard this is the best way to get good sound out of amps when recording.
>>
>>63571983
You already have them bro. The only other one I could suggest is Purity or Novation V-Station.
>>
>>63571983
>>63572025
try the arturia and korg synth vsts too, they're all virtual versions of famous hardware synths
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.