[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think Diiv are really good and unappreciated. some people interpret
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: Diiv.jpg (332 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Diiv.jpg
332 KB, 1000x1000
I think Diiv are really good and unappreciated. some people interpret their laid-back style as "lack of energy", but in fact it's what helps creating a dreamy atmosphere that i really enjoy.
>>
Theyre kind of overhyped, actually. I mean, their music is enjoyable, but they're more like a buzzband because of their PR than their actual music.
>>
>>63530682
That's not true. I like them only for their music.
>>
This song+video gives me the feels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Un9GH-Z0Q
>>
Diiv aren't a bad band, but their music is pretty trendy and bland. It's unassuming, and combine that with the lack of energy it really does end up boring. They make good background noise I guess.
>>
>>63530762
I disagree with everything you said in this statement.

Dreamy soundscapes are not "trendy" and they are not bland either. and the fact its atmospheric does not make it "background music". it's beautiful and dreamy, and i actively enjoy listening to their music and their aesthetic
>>
>>63530806
They're an shoegaze-inspired indie band, of course they're trendy right now, ya dip.
>>
>>63530866
Imo it's not a trendy aesthetic at all.

Also, music covers a wide scope of emotions. music can be beautiful and deep emotionally while also being soft and laid back.
>>
diiv? more lick dick lmao
>>
>>63530621
you're crazy
>>
>>63530995
Anon, thinking about what you are going to post before posting it will help you prevent bad posts. just a recommendation.
>>
yeah what the heck was the point of this? you like fucking diiv, who cares? enjoy yourself.
>>
Diiv are boring. Literally safe clothing store music. I'd rather listen to LSD&TSFG
>>
>>63531700
It's NOT clothing store music. They went for a dreamy and laid back aesthetic that is soft and beautiful.

and also i can get you calling oshin safe (which doesn't make it bad at all, it's just very accessible), but Is The Is Are is not that "safe"
>>
Horrible, trashy band with equally trashy members.
>>
Sound like any other local indie shoegaze band I've heard. Worse actually. About 15 bands here in Oakland that are better. DIIV write bad songs.
>>
>>63530621
I second this, OP. DIIV can thrash when they want to. The way the instruments are arranged on Oshin and Is the Is are is very nuanced and encourages repeated listening to appreciate each layer of bass and guitar.. A lot of it could be considered derivative of many bands at first glance, but I feel like there is a depth to these songs that a lot of people miss because of all the bad PR. My favorite DIIV tracks from the new record are the ones where the band lets the song fall apart a little bit ("Mire" specifically), and it's getting really frustrating that no one else is really that into this record.
>>
>>63532790
Also, this band writes much better guitar hooks then the majority of the current captured tracks roster, and they don't get nearly enough credit for that.
>>
>>63531881
Put on "Oshin (subsume)", or "Mire" in a clothing store and see what happens, this band can be atmospheric but I wouldn't consider them clothing store friendly. I used to work at an American Apparel (yeah, I know) and one of my favorite ways to filter out the casual browsers was to put on "Doused".
>>
>>63531919
You are just jealous because you can't get away with dressing like that and still walk in YSL shows. I mean seriously can we stop talking about this band's sartorial choices for a second? I much prefer their look to a lot of other contemporary guitar bands-at least there's a tangible sense of personality in their press photos.
>>
>>63530621
Literally mass produced shoegaze for "hipster" kids
>>
>>63530866
If it was really that trendy it would have been them and not Mac in that NYT magazine feature. They have a fanbase, but it's still kind of nascent because of all the bad press from the past few years-that, and the fact that they don't really fit with the current poptimist narrative so many fucking music critics are pushing.
>>
>>63533032
What the fuck does mass produced even mean to you? Like there's a fucking factory somewhere underneath bushwick with a "DIIV" mold pumping out copies of the band? If you wanna criticize them based on their image at least make a coherent point that doesn't use a cliched turn of phrase like that.
>>
>>63533143
Yes I meant that, don't overthink things anon

Or are you hitting on me? =)
>>
>>63533158
Um....nope? ..Is this how you pick people up though? If so please try harder (start by not using the word "hipster"-which has almost no meaning anymore).
>>
>>63533224
crazyyaga put ur trip back

Analysit is a cunt as well
>>
>>63533261
jokes on you I'm basically a newfag and I don't even know who that trip is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sorry!
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.