[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is it like being autistic and performing music live? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
How is it like being autistic and performing music live? I'm an aspie and about to start performing soon, I'm the vocalist/guitarist.
>>
It feels like people are watching you fuck up
>>
it feel like someone choke on your neck and then you pass out :^(
>>
Imagine a bunch of strangers staring at you while you play music for them.
>>
>>63512692
oh god no :(
>>
>>63512692
not OP but this scares me
>>
serious answer

turn around and dont face the audience. good call on kurt because he did it extremely early on although not all the time
>>
>>63512707
I do this and it works.
I face the drummer and the bassist does too so it's like we play for ourselves.
I'm this guy >>63512705
>>
>>63512671
Properly diagnosed aspergers or just "i'm an aspie with women". There's a mark difference.
>>
>>63512671
like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5SF84Ma-KI
>>
Just a word of advice a lot of people won't see fuckups especially on the pub circuit. I've seen bigger bands fuck up live. The number 1 tip is keep playing especially if it's an original song people don't know better.
>>
>>63512942
so true please take this advice
>>
>>63512671
Don't worry OP. You usually can't see anybody because the light shining in your face so you forget about everyone. Plus nobody really cares if you fuck up. Even major fuck ups.
>>
Is it weird that I have social anxiety but am not afraid of performing on a stage at all?

I'm just afraid to talk to girls...and other people
>>
People have different expectations depending on what kind of music you play. If you play some energetic rock people will expect you to be hype and have some stage presence. I think that's a load of shit because I'm not gonna fake myself to entertain other people. But that's the nature of performing live, you're trying to be an entertainer and part of being an entertainer is faking it. That's why I have no interest in performing live.
>>
>>63512942
this is absolutely true
>>
>>63512675
THIS

shit man, as a vocalist/guitarist/frontman thats the best description
>>
It's like you are under a microscope
>>
I think that performing is easier than having discussions face-to-face. You can take a very analytical approach to it and you generally don't have to improvise much. Just develop a stage persona which people like and stick with it. I'm not an aspie though but I still suck at having normal discussions. But yeah, performing is not that bad after you get used to it.
>>
File: listentomeyoulittleshit.jpg (12 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
listentomeyoulittleshit.jpg
12 KB, 400x400
>>63512671
I was diagnosed with autism several months ago at 22. I always thought I was just a weird dude with social anxiety, but apparently it was more than that.

Anyway, I play lead guitar in a metal band. The most important thing is to be confident in your abilities and know your part thoroughly. I start out with moderate stage fright every time we play a show, but it simmers down as the first song progresses. The people in the crowd aren't really on your mind while you play, you're mostly just vibing to the music and feeding off the crowd energy while focusing intensely on not fucking up. I move around and headbang and do all that gay metal shit when it feels natural. To my perspective it feels like I'm moving a shit-ton on stage, but my band mates constantly tell me I need to put on more of a show, so who knows.

The hard parts are breaks in the set and people wanting to talk to you after you play. During breaks between songs, I just go stand by my amp and tune or pretend to fuck with shit for however long the vocalist takes to banter with the crowd. It's the one time on stage that feels like people are staring at you, mostly because you're not doing anything. It doesn't take up much time though, so it's not a big deal. People will often want to talk about gear or your playing after a show. It gets awkward here, I end up having a conversation that sounds more like nervously answering survey questions. I'm sure I've given the impression to some people that I'm an asshole. People often mistake social incompetence with assholery. But most people seem content with talking about gear and influences for a minute or two.

All in all, it's not that bad. Playing in front of the crowd is the easiest part. After that, the social interactions are the same as they would be at any other time or place
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.