[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
just finished listening to his entire discography, holy shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4
File: bowie_aladin_sane_1000px.jpg (191 KB, 1000x1107) Image search: [Google]
bowie_aladin_sane_1000px.jpg
191 KB, 1000x1107
just finished listening to his entire discography, holy shit you weren't kidding when you said he wasn't original
>>
>>63473790
Nice bait, but I can tell you are actually a Bowie fan
>>
>>63473790
who is you exactly?
also, what a shitty bait attempt
>>
>>63473790
>>
>>63473810
>>63473827
>>63473837
>bait
i really hate the "if i disagree with it then it's bait" meme

post one song by him you think is original and i will gladly refute it
>>
>>63473810
>>63473827
how is it bait? nothing he said is untrue or even against the popular opinion.... its ok to like him but he certainly wasnt original. he wasnt even trying to be, he was a pop star....
>>
>>63473860
It's obvious this thread is bait because you specifically made this thread for your negative opinion to catch people eyes. If you actually just wanted to share your opinion, you would have done it in the other Bowie threads
>>
>>63473860

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQSZR3NSqm8
>>
>>63473790
>what is the Berlin trilogy
>>
>>63473957
not op but if this is your best example of originality in bowie's discography then you've just proved his point
>>
>>63473810
>>63473827
>no music discussion allowed
You are the reason /mu/ sucks
>>
>>63474022
>Mike Garson's piano playing
>David's surreal lyrics

>unoriginal
You're a fucking liar and a moron
>>
>>63474043
Nice getting triggered OP because you made a fucking duplicate thread because you obviously just want an argument
>>63471863
>>
>>63473860
>African Night Flight
>Sound and Vision
>Ashes to Ashes
>Cygnet Committee
>Station to Station
>Life on Mars?
>Heroes
>Changes
>All the Madmen
>Five Years
>Speed of Life
>>
>>63474132
I'm not OP, this was my first post on the thread.
My complaint is genuine.
This "no music discussion allowed" you guys are showing is the reason why /mu/ sucks.
>>
>>63474134
>>63474104
all trying to emulate lou reed's solo career
>>
>>63473790
Bowie was literally an overrated hack more known for his wild appearance than his (lack of) talent at composing or perfoming. He was a trendhopper who basically ripped off other shit that was going on around him and watered it down for a mainstream audience, and his few good albums were collabs with more talented musicians like Eno and Mick Ronson
>>
>>63474022

It isn't my best example, I'm just fishing to see if he responds - if he actually intends to sit here forever refuting something as ridiculous as this.

Also, I'd like to see where Bowie got his influences from. If there's anything out there that is like this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2y9inP4CqE

I want to know.
>>
>>63473999
>who is brian eno
>>
>>63474226
eno, lou reed, mick robinson
>>
>>63474173
>you guys are showing is the reason why /mu/ sucks.
Then leave you fucking moron
Musician discussion is welcome. blatant troll threads aren't. Duplicate threads of bashing a musician aren't.
>>
>>63473999
You mean those Fripp & Eno albums with Bowie's voice?
>>
>>63474251
bowie is a bad musician. why does this fact make you so mad?
>>
>>63474251
David Bowie turned marketing into the essence of his art. All great phenomena of popular music, from Elvis Presley to the Beatles, had been, first and foremost, marketing phenomena, however, Bowie turned that into an art of its own. With Bowie the science of marketing becomes art; art and marketing become one. There were intellectuals who had proclaimed this theory in rebellious terms. Bowie was, in many ways, the heir, no matter how perverted, of Andy Warhol's pop art and of the underground culture of the 1960s. He adopted some of the most blaspheme issues and turned them upside down to make them precisely what they had been designed to fight: a commodity. Bowie was a protagonist of his times, although a poor musician: to say that Bowie is a musician is like saying that Nero was a harp player (a fact that is technically true, but misleading). Bowie embodies the quintessence of artificial art, raises futulity to paradigm, focuses on the phenomenon rather than the content, makes irrelevant the relevant, and, thus, is the epitome of everything that went wrong with rock music. Each element of his art is the emblem of a true artistic movement however, the ensemble of those emblems constitutes no more than a puzzle, no matter how intriguing, of symbols, a roll of incoherent images projected against the wall at twice the speed, a dictionary of terms rather than a poem, and, in the best of hypotheses, a documentary of the cultural fads of his era. Reading the chronicles of his times, it is clear that what caused sensation was the show, not the music. The show that Bowie set up was undoubtedly in sync with the avantgarde, as it fused theater, mime, cinema, visual art, literature and music. However, Bowie merely recycled what had been going on for years in the British underground, in particular what had been popularized by the psychedelic bands of 1967. And he turned it into a commodity: whichever way you look at his oeuvre, this is the real merit of it.
>>
>>63474194
Practically none of the songs I listed sound like Lou Reed
>>
>>63474251
>saying an artist isn't original is baiting
Yeah, you suck
Why not discuss about the subject instead of calling anything you don't like bait?
>>
>>63474276
>not knowing that Tony Visconti had a larger impact on Low and Heroes than Brian Eno
>>
>>63474282
Not bad, mediocre
>>
>>63474310
It is when there's already a fucking thread you fucking idiot. There is literally no reason we needed another thread for this when there is already one. Do you fucking idiots not know how to read?
>>
I agree, he literally stole kraftwerks sound.
>>
>>63474306
very very very wrong
>>63474335
so if i make an entire career out of emulating good musicians i will be considered a mediocre musician?
>>
>>63474358
>so if i make an entire career out of emulating good musicians i will be considered a mediocre musician?
probably lol
>>
showtunes
>>
>hurr I'm totally not baiting even though there's already a Bowie bashing thread and i needlessly created this one because I'm an attention seeker hurrr

>>63471863
>>
>>63474337
Maybe they are just two different OPs unaware of each other's threads you fucking moron?
>>
>>63474358
>very very very wrong
Tell me specifically which songs that I listed are attempts at copying Lou Reed then

Also, no one claims Bowie was a great musician. Hu surrounded himself with great musicians, but he was a sublime songwriter. He could write classics in every genre; there's arguably no artist more versatile. Letter to Hermione, Young Americans, The Width of a Circle, Blakstar and Golden Years were all written by the same man. That's talent.
>>
>>63474438
maybe he should have checked the catalogue you fucking moron
and I highly doubt it since he also used an Aladdin Sane picture
>>
>>63474438
not him, but no one's dumb enough to not check the catalog and do a quick ctrl+f search

Besides OP maybe
>>
>>63474444

I don't know, there are a few songs in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwfwqCxNb6I that you can definitely tell influenced Bowie.
>>
>>63474444
>Tell me specifically which songs that I listed are attempts at copying Lou Reed then
all of them

nice quads
>>
File: tumblr_n7vvlvxInl1rwcmrwo2_500.gif (874 KB, 500x296) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n7vvlvxInl1rwcmrwo2_500.gif
874 KB, 500x296
>>63474444
checkity china, the chinese check 'em
>>
>>63474457
Sorry, but not everybody checks the whole catalogue every time we make a thread
>surprised about two OPs using the most famous Bowie Era images
Wow

>>63474460
Nobody cares about checking
Literally what are the odds
>>
>>63474513
>Sorry, but not everybody checks the whole catalogue every time we make a thread
You probably should then because it's a fucking rule
>>
>>63474513
>what are the odds of there being a thread about a /mu/ favorite artist that's recently died
You got me there anon
>>
>>63474513
>OP posts his thread at 13:25
>there was a post in the other thread at 13:21

There's no way he didn't see it
>>
>>63474478
Have a dubsthread and ya brain starts crickin'. Crickin'...crickin'!
>>
>>63473790
>>63473860
>>63473920
>>63474043
>>63474194
>>63474208
>>63474276
>>63474282
>>63474358
>>63474438
>>63474467
>>63474513

1 You are retarded, not literally, just retarded
2 You listened to your first Lou Reed album, you think its better than any Bowie perhaps. Wrong
3 Still desperate to spread your meme ever since Bowie died, trying too hard
4 Check the catalog next time and dont double thread. Its obvious
5 Dont multipost in the same thread pretending to be more then one people
>>
>>63474043
Yo, when someone really wants to discuss about something he usually arguments. If someone just says "this is shit" or "this is underrated" it means nothing. The OP has to prove his point and eventually other anons answer.
>>
File: SAMEASITEVERWAS.jpg (49 KB, 750x506) Image search: [Google]
SAMEASITEVERWAS.jpg
49 KB, 750x506
>>63475744
cunt
>>
>>63475744

1. You have tiny wiener.

2. Lou Reed is boring as shit, Bowie has more life and bombast to his presentation. I was just stating that the influence is there.

3. I like Bowie, I can always count on being amused even if I don't like everything he put out.

4. Quit bitching about there being two threads, why is that the focal point of this conversation?

5. >Everyone who doesn't agree with me is THE SAME PERSON.

Grow up.
>>
>>63474478
>tfw no one else knows the reference
>>
>>63474304
this nigga been posting scaruffi pasta all fucking day
>>
As Bowie said: "It's not who does it first, it's who does it second."

Was he original? Maybe, maybe not. The point is he took what other bands and artists did and did their style just as good (if not better) then them. That's what really counts.
>>
>>63473999
>steal krautrock music and put in your album
>original xDDD
Are you retard?
>>
>>63475744
Delete this; The post.
>>
>>63477555
You are one persistent fuck you know that
>>
>>63477608
dude im not OP and or a fan/hate of this Bowie but people are just getting really defensive on this thread for no fucking reason.
This thread just end on "haha its subjetive".
#Peace. -_-'
>>
Not OP but I love how fucking angry Bowie fans get when they're confronted with the truth. Bowie is a good musician but he doesn't have an ounce of originality in his entire career. He might be the first musician to make a concept album about his death and die shortly after its release though, I'll give him that
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.