[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: music your girlfriend likes that you hate Also post something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 8
File: macdemarco.jpg (125 KB, 580x546) Image search: [Google]
macdemarco.jpg
125 KB, 580x546
ITT: music your girlfriend likes that you hate

Also post something you like your girlfriend hates
>city pop
>midwest emo
>j-pop
>Daniel Johnston
>>
>>63466670
btw those 4 are what I like and she hates to clarify so you dont think im a pleb faggot f a m
>>
>>63466683
>liking city pop, midwest emo, j-pop, and daniel johnston
>thinks he isn't a pleb
>>
>>63466707
;_;

post yr taste lad
>>
>>63466737
why do u want validation from strangers so bad? are u sure ur not a female?
>>
>>63467040
i dont care what you think of my taste really in all seriousness
it was just a fun thread idea
post shit bands your girlfriend likes or get out
>>
>>63466670
I'll take her off your hands friendo bendo.
Mac Demarco is euphoria compared to what girls listen to around here
>>
>>63466670
this chubby girl that is obsessed with me likes Mac DeMarco and especially likes Let Her Go
>>
top 40 trash, greatest hits of x decades, the national, bon iver, sigur ros

same goes for her taste in movies, although strangely enough not her taste in books
>>
>>63466683
Ppeb fag6ot
>>
>>63466670
>girlfriend
>>
Idk I kinda like my gfs taste, although she still listens to some bands from her scene girl days like blink 182 as nostalgia. And she likes drake who I can't stand.
I personally listen to a lot of metal (amongst other stuff) which she strongly dislikes
>>
Shitty screamo shit
Taylor swift
>>
File: 1455806762631.jpg (77 KB, 640x636) Image search: [Google]
1455806762631.jpg
77 KB, 640x636
>girlfriend
>>
Portugal the Man
Jamie xx

Outside of that she has pretty good taste
>>
File: Hellboy.jpg (241 KB, 1280x1536) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy.jpg
241 KB, 1280x1536
>>63466670
My boyfriend likes death metal, video game music and Death Grips. I like two out of three of those things.

I like Talking Heads, Cocteau Twins, Tom Waits and Stereolab. He is not familiar with any of them.

w/e
>>
>>63468004
wait, do you like screamo or Taylor
>>
>>63467627
>>63468017
chin up lads
>>
Avoiding relationships right now so my ex gf:

She liked/I hate:
>Extreme
I liked/she hates:
>Fire! Orchestra
>>
>>63466670
>Ty Dolla $ign
I can't tell if she likes him ironically or not, but I don't even enjoy listening to him to make fun of him

>Nine Inch Nails
She's really receptive to almost everything I listen to, even shit like Lumpy Gravy or Earth 2, but she once had a nightmare where I said I would never listen to any music other than NIN again for the rest of my life, and ever since then she's hated them and the idea of me liking them.
>>
>>63468281
Which two? My guess is Death Grips and vidya
>>
>She likes/I hate
Marina and the Diamonds
>I like/she hates
Anything metal
>>
File: ohno-spain.jpg (87 KB, 900x582) Image search: [Google]
ohno-spain.jpg
87 KB, 900x582
i don't get it...
>>
File: throwing up.gif (64 KB, 360x357) Image search: [Google]
throwing up.gif
64 KB, 360x357
The Front Bottoms
>>
Hates that I like:
- Songs featuring theremin (besides Beach Boys because he's still partichian)
- Aaron Dilloway and other noise artists
- Pretty sure Death Grips, but he loves watching me dance to it

Likes that I hate:
- Most opera pre-1900s
- Ironic musicals
- Britney Spears (I like pop music, but Britney- modern Britney- is specifically awful)

Still love him though.
>>
>>63468729
Have you listened to Are We Not Men?
>>
GET THE FUCK OFF MY BOARD
>>
>>63468633
You got it right
>>
She likes I hate:
Arcade Fire
M83
Motion City Soundtrack

Anything I've linked her to she seems to like. I havent come into anything she doesn't like that I listen to, though she mainly listens to surface indie shit
>>
she thinks Yung Lean is the best SBE/GTB member which is objectively wrong, as for music she likes that I hate:
>Marilyn Manson
>Dope D.O.D.
>Opera in general

I like she hates (or at least writes off because of similar artists):
>American Football
>Death Grips
>early 90's emo and revival emo in general

there's a couple more but they're more "eh" and "like" not love or hate
>>
>>63468746
At least they have a sense of humor. Infinitely better than the unironic, warbly-voiced Pitchfork-core that was coming out a few years ago like Tokyo Police Club. Can definitely hear strains of AJJ and Neutral Milk Hotel in their stuff. Historic Cemetery and The Plan (Fuck Jobs) are good songs.
>>
File: j cole.jpg (29 KB, 628x353) Image search: [Google]
j cole.jpg
29 KB, 628x353
she likes this goofy ass nikka and I rip on him all day
>>
>>63467610
The National prior to High Violet are great, lad. When Matt Berninger stopped screaming vocals and performing piss drunk on wine, they went to shit.

Oddly enough, I know what you're talking about regarding them being /girlfriend/-core. Every girl I've met has the uncanny ability to pick out the worst, most boring shit from their catalog.
>>
My ex liked the most unfathomably annoying shit imaginable. Music that was specifically made to irritate.

She couldn't stand Tom Waits.
>>
>>63467985
Wait until you meet the rare qt3.14 who actually likes heavy music, only to realize that she actually likes mallcore bullshit like Beartooth and Chelsea Grin.

Sent her some Converge, Circle Takes the Square, and Counterparts only to have her never respond. Life is fucking pain.
>>
>>63466670
Twenty one pilots
>>
>>63468959
Women will never truly understand good emo, be it from the 90s or revival. Even with my gf, who is not opposed to aggressive, intense music, she still would much rather listen to Rise Against than Pianos Become the Teeth or Touche Amore.

Given the choice, they will always cop out for unsophisticated, yet edgy shit like Manson if they have an inclination to be contrarian and "not like other girls."
>>
my ex was really into like shitty edm and reggae
everything good she was into (lauren bousfield, foxing, anco, sleep, etc.) i showed her
she talked about her pineal gland and like...chemtrails and shit too
dont date hippies friends
>>
>>63469157
jesus christ can you shut the fuck up
your personal anecdotes mean nothing of an entire gender
would you not say what you said of your gf about like, idk every fucking pleb of every gender?
>>
>>63466670
i'm so sick of this normie bullshit
>>
>>63469168
Kek. Showing butthurt over the internet and expecting something productive to come of it is so like most women, which I presume you are.

I was merely saying that my gf is a sophisticated and intelligent woman. Whereas many of my similarly sophisticated and intelligent male friends instantly get the appeal and aesthetic vibe of these bands, my gf and a lot of girls I've known like her do not. This is not to mention the lack of any significant female presence in classic or emo revival, as fans or performers.

As best I can tell, it's a bit like war dramas. Some are well made, yet women as a group tend to avoid them, even if they acknowledge they are objectively good. Seriously, If you can find 100 women who have seen Enemy at the Gates and liked it, I will cut my dick off. You won't be able to and this is an entirely analogous situation to the case of women in the underground emo scene, past and present.
>>
>>63469157
You type like a shitty P4K writer you pretentious twat
>>
My girlfriend constantly listens to headly and some playlist thats just acoustic covers of every song ever, holy shit I hate it. I listen to rap so I cant really say anything, but whenwver i play any rap she will put on heqdphones or leave the room, cant stand it
>>
>>63469358
Enemy at the Gates sucks
>>
>>63466707
>>63466737
>>63467040
>>63467093
youtube comment tier
>>
We've been dating for a while and I'm pretty much pinned her taste. We have a ton of common ground but probably just as much different

Music she likes I don't:
>pop punk
>sappy 90's pop
>boy bands
>radio pop singers like Celene Dion and Mariah Carey
>shitty 00's post-grunge like Daughtry
>Fucking Childish Gambino

Music I like, she doesn't:
>Metal
>Most Noise Rock
>the darker side of post punk
>experimental rock
>noisecore, grindcore and mathcore
>any electronic instrumental music from acid techno to house
>old blues artists like Robert Johnson and Blind Willie Johnson
>horrorcore
>hardcore
>the more noisy/darker side of post-hardcore(she still likes Fugazi, At The Drive In, and shit)
>>63470142
>has to leave the room over rap

that's excessive. What kind of rap do you normally play? also
>acoustic cover playlist
my heart goes out to you anon. That sounds like dogshit
>>
>>63469157
>Pianos Became The Teeth
>good emo

also you're a pretentious sheltered dickhead if you think women are unable to understand good emo. When's the last time you've even spoken to a girl?
>>
>>63469109
shit man, that's awful. How could anyone into heavy music not like Converge? That doesn't even compute
>>
>>63468998
fuck J Cole. For every good story he tells in one verse he has like 8 songs with shitty rapping and cheap production. One of the cringiest rappers OAT
>>
>>63470513
Jacob Bannon's vocals aren't exactly something you like straight away, they're more of an acquired taste for most.
>>
>>63470586
I guess so, but I wouldn't say they're too standoffish. At the least you have to have pretty shit taste to not appreciate the instrumentals
>>
File: 1457993459413.jpg (43 KB, 445x503) Image search: [Google]
1457993459413.jpg
43 KB, 445x503
My ex was a wannabe stoner
Ska punk and the shit with the trumpets.
2000 pop punk
Backpacker hip hop (not all bad, Tribe is my favorite hip hop group)
Fucking ska

She didn't dig Jeff Buckley and Future Funk but everything else was fine with her.

Kebabs, never again.
>>
>>63470701
How can someone not like Jeff Buckley?

What other hip hop did she like? Tribe are dope
>>
>>63470732
Digible Planets, De La Soul, other shit I can't think of at the moment. That sort of stuff.
>>
>>63470787
solid. I'd rather have a backpack rap gf than a shitty mainstream rap gf that liked Fetty Wap and fuckin Vic Mensa
>>
she dislikes music in general, but the music she does listen to is just whats popular now (Sam Smith, Taylor Swift)
>>
>>63470840
>she dislikes music in general

w-what. did she actually say that? Why are you dating her? she sounds like the fucking worst.
>>
>>63470866
Yeah, she said 'I don't really like music'. She's cool otherwise. It just sucks that I can't really share music with her.
>>
File: 1457996895092.jpg (116 KB, 779x635) Image search: [Google]
1457996895092.jpg
116 KB, 779x635
>>63470817
She is so anti government/US and the usual rebel stoner shit it was unbearable. She got pissed at me whenever I laughed at the conspiracy theories she spewed. She was pretty great other than that. Never date a Muslim girl anon, it'll never work. At least she introduced me to great Punk.
>>
>>63470787
Haha damn i'd take a girl like that in a second
>>
>>63470905
I'd have been in utter shock. Props to you for sticking with her I guess. I couldn't handle that. My girlfriend and I listen to albums together all the time.
>>
>>63470922
what Punk? And yeah I would've shot down her theories like a disc at a shooting range, laughing the whole way. Lemme guess, jet fuel can't melt steel beams?
>>
>>63470445
Well, yesterday, to be honest. As I said, I have a gf. Show me a more totally and tastefully realized song coming out of the emo revival scene than I'll Get By and I will cede the point.

If you can't appreciate that song, I'll just assume you're a butthurt femanon, proving my prior point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35PIgmG4A8o
>>
Ex but

she likes that I hate:
>Arctic Monkeys

I like that she hate:
>Death Grips
>>
>>63470927
She's never listened to any of the classics, I don't think she's ever heard a Beatles song knowing its the Beatles. I told her one day we'll just listen to some classic albums (Dark Side of the Moon, Abbey Road, Nevermind etc) she said she was interested but I don't think she really would like it and would just be doing it to humor me.
>>
>>63470950
Bad Brains, Gorilla Biscuits, Minor Threat etc.>>63470950
>>
>>63470967
I'm a guy. I just think you're being irrational to say because someone has a vagina they can't understand what "good"(subjective btw) emo is. You don't have to send me that, I've heard their whole discography. They just aren't that great. I'd honestly rather listen to Cap'n Jazz, and they aren't that great either.
>>63471014
you should do it anyway, and just gauge what she thinks. My gf was of the staunch opinion that she would never like any metal. Turns out she didn't know folk metal exists, like most people, and when I showed her Agalloch she took back everything she had said and wanted me to show her more stuff. I've also shown her things like Big Black and Comus with good response. Of course my gf is actually very much into music but who knows, She might surprise you.
>>63471034
Bad Brains are great. I bet she showed you the Misfits too. and Black Flag?
>>
>>63471057
Yeah I think I'll do it anyway. Probably just lie in bed together and talk and listen to music in the background
>>
>>63470513
>>63470586
>>63470654
She was trying to act like she was speshul for having come across Tool and a few other bands with drop-tuned riffs and odd time signatures, spouting off "their face when they see the music you like" attention-whoring posts on FB.

It must have been a real blow to her ego when I informed her that their were even more fully realized forms of that music out there that she was unable to appreciate.

I would be absolutely overjoyed if any femanon could disprove this, but I have only met one woman in my life of meeting many women through music who had any interest in stuff like Converge. Vastly more men seem to be in a position to appreciate this stuff. I want to believe that there are qt3.14s who will listen to Cave In, Converge, and Circle Becomes the Square with me. Maybe a bit of blackened hardcore as well.
>>
>>63471057
Name I found Black Flag on my own. My War is probably in my Top favorite Punk albums.
>>
>>63471122
Naw*
>>
>>63471072
that sounds like fun! Wish you the best. Hopefully she realizes she's been asleep all these years
>>63471097
me too man. Alas, my gf has probably the broadest taste in a girl I've ever met, and she can't stand the stuff. Shit sucks, but that's how it is. Women definitely just aren't inclined to like it. The interesting thing is that she only doesn't like it because it legitimately puts her in a funky bad mood, which understandably would put one off to the stuff. I think Women are just more emotionally affected by what they hear
>>63471122
Nice. In mine as well
>>
>>63471182
Thanks anon!
>>
>>63471057
>Cap'n Jazz
I think we are looking for different things in our emo, friend. Oddly enough, my ex was super into Agalloch and tried to make me see the light . Took going to a Finntroll show for me to realize that most folk metal was composed by tone deaf tryhards with odinist and hurdy-gurdy fetishes.

Maybe that goes a bit towards explaining our differences in what constitutes decent music. Agree to disagree, I suppose.
>>
>>63471234
I'm actually not a big fan of Agalloch, I just knew she would like it. I prefer Primordial in that realm. And yeah I know Cap'n jazz isn't much like Pianos, I'm just comparing the two for what I enjoy, which I was suppose was a meaningless task.
>>
Almost every single person I know, dont know the artists I listen to, so someone liking them is out of the question in the same way we wont see humans using aliens spaceship (assuming they exist)
>>
>>63471010
you're both shit
>>
>>63471318
what's wrong with DG?
>>
>>63471182
>Women are just more emotionally affected by what they hear

True. Thats funny, as my old gf once told me that the appeal of black metal vocals was never having to hear what the vocalist was actually upset about, but nonetheless being able to relate to the feeling of the music.

We actually broke up in part over me getting pissed over her chucking my copy of La Dispute's Wildlife. After listening to King Park through I See Everything with me, she didn't feel comfortable having it in the apartment. The content of the songs was too fucking much.

It's funny, because I actually like those songs for their ability to make me feel empathy for other people. It feels bad, but it's a good kind of bad.
>>
>>63471266
Idk, one thing that just has always irked me about metal is a reliance on really short intervals and constrained progressions. As I've played more music, I realized that I really just like more big, open chords with suspended notes and add9s and 13s. A lot of modern melodic hardcore and emo revival deliver that type of stuff consistently, as does stuff like folk and alt. country, like Gillian Welch, oddly enough.

I just like the way that stuff sounds, which tends to be sad in a very harmonically dense way. Sometimes the lyrics can be particularly on point, which makes it even better.

If I could find similar stuff instrumentally that tended not to be so depressing, I would probably love that too. It does start to wear on you after a while.
>>
>>63470922
You must have listened to enough Operation Ivy to last a man a thousand lifetimes. I'm sorry, anon.
>>
>>63469358
tips fedora
>>
>>63471484
H-how did you know? I pretended to like it but after a while I couldn't take it anymore.
>>
My exgf was obsessed with Porcupine Tree, and everything Steven Wilson related, when I simply couldn't stand the fuck.
And I guess she never wanted to listen to Deafheaven, though I like them
>>
Taylor swift
>>
>>63469157
Pianos good emo lmaoing at u
>>
>>63471510
We've all had ska-punk loving girlfriends who wanted to skank all night and then shag in the toilets, m8. It goes with the territory.
>>
>>63471836
I don't get this meme. I don't care for their early stuff, but the past two albums have been really well put together. It just seems like if you don't chase the phrase "good emo" with "American Football" on this board, you get shitposted. I don't even hear stuff like Sunny Day Real Estate get discussed that often.
>>
>>63471799
Same. Could never shake the feeling that it was a Bong version of Dream Theater, which I find equally distasteful. Progressive metal is a surprisingly dead end genre to be into. Very few decent options beyond the big players.
>>
>>63466670
My ex-gf's favouite band is muse

god I hate muse with a passion now.
>>
>>63466670
your girlfriend is too good for you
>>
>>63469157
one of my female friends from middle school liked those two bands

maybe you just haven't grown up yet anon

listen to edm like the rest of us normies
>>
>>63472883
This is what is fucking hilarious about emo fags. They, as grown men, write music that is overwhelmingly consumed by adolescents and teenagers, particularly teenage girls. What the fuck does that say about them? Kek.

>one of my female friends from middle school liked those two bands

When I was in middle school, edgy fat bitches listened to HIM, Linkin Park, and Bullet For My Valentine. Young and/or underage fags need to GTFO.
>>
>>63468729
Is this album a meme? It's actually pretty good.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.