[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why wasn't Electric Wizard bigger?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 500x500
They have a decent following but never really hit huge mainstream success. They have a great sound and their catalog is pretty impressive. Why didn't they have more commercial success?
>>
They aren't exactly radio-friendly sounding. What songs do you think would hit mainstream?
>>
>>63466374
He says mainstream like metaltards say mainstream. Mainstream like deafheaven for example.
>>
>>63466348

because black sabbath already existed?
>>
>>63466374
I don't mean Wonderwall Oasis type mainstream, more like Bring Me The Horizon metal type mainstream
>>
File: 1421052018620.jpg (108 KB, 576x720) Image search: [Google]
1421052018620.jpg
108 KB, 576x720
>>63466417
Listen to any Electric Wizard song in front of people who aren't into the same kind of music you are. Observe their reaction. Come to terms with your Asperger's diagnosis. Electric Wizard are fucking great, but there are obvious reasons why most people don't enjoy this stuff.
>>
>>63466521
I get they don't have a sound a huge number of people would like, but among the metal fans, why didn't they have more success? Maybe if you had any comprehension skills you'd realize this was the point that I was asking from the beginning.
>>
>>63466605
This is Doom Metal. The whole genre has never been a super popular one. They are literally among the top 5 most successful doom metal bands.
>>
>one of, if not the biggest bands in not only their genre but the world
>WHOA MAN WHY ISN'T MY MOM LISTENING TO THIS ON AT WORK RADIO I WISH GOOD MUSIC WAS BIIIIG

I fucking hate retards who say shit like this
>>
It's.
Too.
Slow.

All popular metal is fast.
>>
>>63466605
>huge mainstream success
>huge mainstream success
>success among the metal fans
Sorry, but what did you expect people to think when you wrote the original post like that? Just saying. Moving on from my OCD dickery, I'll say that they are actually pretty well-respected in the metal community, probably more than their contemporaries like Sleep, Bongripper, etc. At least half of the metalheads I know dig them a lot. I know at least five huge fans. They've made big waves if you ask me.
>>
what a retarded thread
>>
>>63466800
what a retarded site desu. i forgot why i ever enjoyed this place a long time ago
>>
>>63466894
the memes get stale after a while
but some generals and the odd thread here and there are still nice
>>
>>63467025
yeah it really is the unusual threads that make it worth anything. i can't wait for another lemmy thread, or the /dgg/ after bottomless pit drops for that matter
>>
>>63467066
spot the newfag
>>
>>63466800
youre retarded
>>
Not marketable enough in any scene or subculture, definitely not marketable enough in a commercial sense
>>
>>63466639
Why though, I can not get to anything but doom metal and some black metal
>>
>>63466713
>fast metal
why does this gay shit exist again
>>
>>63467887
if u don't fuck with grindcore i don't fuck with u
>>
Huh, literally just finished listening to Dopethrone for the first time. Good shit, not too keen on the whole 10 minutes of silence thing the title track has going on though.
>>
>>63467902
grindcore isn't even metal tho
>>
>>63466348

They're in a niche genre within a niche genre.

let doom/stoner/sludge bands stay underground with a cult following how they are now.
>>
>>63466348
Doom metal is really a one trick pony, even considering all the subgenres within it. Dath/doom like Ophis or Velnias can have a bit more appeal, but that is only for people into other genres of extreme metal.

Like other anons have said, it is too slow. Also, it's emphasis on heavy distortion obscures any unique elements a band might bring to the genre. There are only so many times painfully slow, repetitive Sabbath-inspired riffs can be cranked through a low-wattage, gain amp while the singer talks about smoking bowls before that shit gets old.
>>
I legit started playing Funeralopolis at a party once and I got kicked off of music duty. I got stares, man.
>>
>>63466395
Well in that case they are. Dopethrone is like the first album people listen to when getting into doom.
>>
>>63469855
youre the type of person who should never be given the aux
>>
>>63470006
Doom doesn't nearly have the visibility Deafheaven has. They've been featured in an Apple commercial, for shit's sake. Additionally, they don't have trendy review sites shilling their material to tryhard hipsters looking to appear like they listen to more than just stuff like Beach House and TWIABP.
>>
>>63469855
>Funeralopolis
>At a fucking party

Kek. Anon, meet >>63466521. Enjoy your autism, but preferably not at the expense of innocent partygoers next time. Holy shit.
>>
>>63470144
Dopethrone is literally the most hipster and trendy doom metal album ever though. If it came out the same year as Deafheaven we wouldn't be having this conversation.
>>
>>63469855
>tfw I spin Dopethrone regurarely when I have people over and they generally like it
But then again most of my friends smoke weed
>>
>>63470190
>hipster and trendy doom metal album ever though

I think you're getting it confused with Dopesmoker.
>>
>>63470190
>most tendy and hipster album
I really wish I'll never meet people who spout shit like this in real life
>>
So what is the best song off of Dopethrone and why is it We Hate You?
>>
>>63470190
I'll put it this way: if I go to a Dopethrone show, there wont be a pack of ironically dressed faggots staring disinterestedly at the stage with crossed arms making worried glances at the unwashed, stoner metalheads surrounding them.

The same shit happened in '08-'09 with Mastodon, for whatever reason. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say Pitchfork gave them a good review and they played Coachella or something. That alone was enough to keep hipsters showing up for their shows for a few years.

Even if Dopethrone is the "trendiest" doom album, that means nothing when doom metal has virtually no visibility to begin with. Hipsters would be more likely to get into drone and listened to overhyped bands like Earth or Coil with boatloads of indie cred if they wanted to listen to this type of music.
>>
>>63469836
I dislike metal but I love Electric Wizard. I don't understand how they are the only 'metal' band I like
>>
>>63470958
Never got into metal it. Sounds to me like faster harder tryhard prog. But I really like electric wizard. I think it is because they sound post rock/drone-ish but heavier I really dig that
>>
>>63471126
Yeah I guess that's it. Metal just sounds too 'fast' for me. Electric Wizard, despite being metal, sound pretty bluesy which is what I like
>>
>>63466713
Sleep is pretty slow and got a fairly large audience
>>
Doom/stoner/sludge metal was all the rage in the late 00s.
You were a nobody if you didn't have an SG and a Big Muff.
>>
>>63466348

Because they are a shitty band.
>>
>>63470958
>>63471143
You probably like the general ambiance and melodic progressions they use, which tend to be a bit more blues-ey, as you say. It's a genre of metal that actually lets you savor a good riff rather than rip through it at 220 bpm.

Stoner doom like Electric Wizard and Acid King are Sabbath taken to the furthest extreme. From the drone side of things, I'd check out Earth. For more stuff that is literally Sabbath-like, check out bands like Graveyard, Danava, Witchcraft, Freedom Hawk,Stoned Jesus, or Saviours (although they almost remind me of Judas Priest). There is a lot of garbage stoner rock, but there are also some gems.
>>
>>63471393
Where? The funny thing about underground genres is that their popularity and visibility is often regionally tied. I've never been aware of a strong stoner or Doom scene in my area besides a couple guys being into Wolfmother and The Sword, which are probably the most mainstream-friendly bands taking those influences. I'm in California, btw.
>>
>>63471656
Orchid is also decent. And the recent Flesh of the Stars album.
>>
>>63471393
What's an SG and a big muff?
>>
>>63471786
if you don't know you're probably a nobody
>>
>>63471712
well I'm italian, and here there were a lot of bands like that, but also internationally people like Yob, Kylesa, Bongripper, Ufomammut all became big (well relatively big) around the same time or so it seemed to me.
It all petered out when the rage shifted on more traditional doom (which to be honest I like more)
>>
>>63471656
I'd definitely agree with being able to savoring the riff as you put it.

Thanks for the recommendations anon, will check them out.

>>63471712
Wolfmother were huge back in 2006/2007 where I live. I am from their home city so I guess that is why.

>>63471786
Gibson SG (guitar) and a big muff pedal (gives a lot of distortion)
>>
Doom already became hugely popular around 5+ years ago compared to what it used to be. People here are just too young to remember the time when even the average metalhead didn't know much about the doom metal sound and thought that doom metal was just the death-doom type of music. Old Reverend Bizarre interviews were really enlightening on this, even if written from the Finnish perspective. Unfortunately they seem to have disappeared from the internet.

Electric Wizard got its part of this trend and became notably more popular (getting quickly sold out shows and big stages at big festivals at least over here) along with the rest of more traditional doom metal. After this EW dug its own grave by releasing very uninspired releases, not developing their live shows enough and having silly pandering to collectors in their releases. I'd say that EW had its moment already, multiple times actually.
>>
The lack of live shows probably hurt, though it was pretty cool when they finally toured the US in who knows how long, great show
>>
File: pain.jpg (3 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
pain.jpg
3 KB, 200x200
>Doom Metal
>commercial success
>>
>>63466348
>lack of obvious hooks
>use of feedback / shitloads of distortion and "noisy" aesthetic
>long songs
>vocals may be an acquired taste for some

They are well known within metal and stoner rock circles but they are nowhere near commercial enough to go mainstream.
>>
>>63472017
>Doom already became hugely popula
>things that never happened
I mean yeah there was a doom wave in the metalscene but it was mostly limited to smaller labels like Van or High Roller. I mean look: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-Music-Doom-Metal/zgbs/music/358943031
The best selling doom metal albums aren't even doom. Maybe it's different in a country where Black and Death Metal are on public radio tho.
>>
>>63472160
these are not doom metal tho
>>
>>63472212
You left out the rest of the sentence:
>compared to what it used to be.

Like I said, in the early 2000s the traditional type of doom metal was pretty much dying and pretty much no one, even the metalheads, listened to it. Nowadays it's one of the more common subgenres, metalheads actually know that traditional doom metal is doom metal and it even has had its hipster success, like already said ITT. The difference is huge.
>>
>>63472314
Still it was never "hugely popular" but I know what you mean (relatively and stuff). I still got friends who got into metal in the early 2000s who despise Doom.
>>
>>63472257
Who?
>>
>>63472376
Well maybe I chose bad words but the point was that trad doom metal and EW along with it already got its brief moment of fame, more than most underground acts and genres ever do. EW is a successful band for a band with such deep ties to underground metal. I'd say that it's about as popular as bands of its genre can get, at least without the marketing $$$ of the biggest record companies which aren't interested in that type of music. Mainstream success isn't often even seen as a good thing in metal.

Doom metal is huge compared to what it used to be, even if it isn't huge compared to Kanye West or something. Hugeness is always relative.
>>
>>63472459
Well they headlined this (888 tickets sold). I can't imagine them headlining something a lot bigger. Compared to other big bands (even really shitty ones like Machine Head) it's really not big. The show and the festival were great btw.
>>
>>63472017
What? Candlemass, Witchfinder General, Pentagram, and St. Vitus have defined traditional doom of the sort electric wizard plays since the 80s. Stoner doom bands like Acid King and Weedeater have been around since the 90s. I think it's a regional thing. Growing up, I always associated doom with Sabbath-inspired heavy riffing played through high-gain, low wattage (Orange type) amps at slow tempos.

It was only later that I learned about death/doom and funeral doom and thought it a weird fit for the genre.
>>
File: ball is death.gif (993 KB, 450x240) Image search: [Google]
ball is death.gif
993 KB, 450x240
>>63470600
>that guitar lead in the chorus
absolutely based

big fan of Witchfinder though, and Barbarian
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.