[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>calls it "daring, avant garde, original, experimental"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6
File: 7.png (1 MB, 1318x836) Image search: [Google]
7.png
1 MB, 1318x836
>calls it "daring, avant garde, original, experimental"
>lists off influences of musicians i like
>hmm i should check this out
>listen to it
>utter crap without a hint of originality

It blows my mind that this is the kind of stuff that he thinks is "avant garde and experimental" yet he blows off actual avant garde music as "music that john cage did decades before"

It took me a while but I just realized that he's a legitimate "plebeaian" and I don't ever use that word. I used to always roll my eyes at this accusation when other mutants would make it and convince myself that they're just butthurt that he didn't like an album they liked. But this album is the definition of mediocrity and couldn't be further from experimental.

I guess to people like him music is experimental when it doesn't sound like the top 40 stuff
>>
>>63450964
He's the bad kind of modern "music fan" that stays way into the loop because it's a major factor of his self image (which is retarded).
>>
He listens to whatever will give him Youtube money, dude gives no shit about music
>>
>>63451020
Yeah. I understand that he needs to appeal to his fanbase but he should also introduce them to something challenging every now and then

I mean how the fuck is this experimental? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XibHLDrlUls
>>
>it's another "anons circlejerk over Fantano hate whilst simultaneously giving him attention" episode
>>
>>63451100
Sounds kind of experimentalesque to me t b h
>>
>>63451093
yeah man reviewing 'the drones', a relatively obscure noise rock band from Australia, totally gets him shit tons of youtube money
>>
>>63451190
they're the biggest """""experimetnal""""" band in australia at the moment

their videos have hundreds of thousands of views
>>
>>63451100
This is shit
>>
>>63451190
>drones
>relatively obscure band
yeah relative to rihanna
>>
>>63450964
same with that matmos album. Entry level AF & unchallenging. A true token experimental album
>>
File: 1458104907994.jpg (441 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1458104907994.jpg
441 KB, 1200x1200
>Adele - 24
>7
>Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth
>6
>Childish Gambino - Before the Internet
>5
>>
>>63451293
that matmos album is the least experimental "experimental" album i've heard in a while
>>
>>63451190
You don't know a lot of actually obscure music, do you?
>>
>>63451351
Not him, but holy shit he said RELATIVELY obscure, he didn't say they were straight obscure. And yes, compared to mainstream bands they are relatively obscure. The casual normie wouldn't have heard of them, so they can be considered RELATIVELY obscure. Why the immediate need to act like a condescending faggot?
>>
>>63451351
hence 'relatively'. fucking condescending moron
>>
>>63451411
thats such a shitty metric to use though. he's the internets busiest music nerd, not the internet's busiest music thats relatively obscure to top 40 nerd
>>
>>63451411
dis nigga got my back. also funny how we both used 'condescending'

>>63451436
>>
>>63451411
>>63451436
lol knowing obscure bands make you condescending now?
Sorry for offending your fantanity, drone friends
>>
>>63451411
this isn't a thread about what that anon said

this is a thread about fantano calling this album "daring, avant garde, original, experimental"
>>
>>63451448
We all now that title is not literal m8, it's just his nick or whatever. If he was loyal to it he'd review less rap and more classical lmao (which I would greatly appreciate tbqh although it would probably result in a shit review)
>>
Name an album from 2016 that is more experimental than this and is actually good then fag
>>
>>63451535
no because i don't want plebs like you to taint its name
>>
>>63451470
No, using a super obscure or mainstream dichotomy is fucking stupid, despite the amount of obscure band you know.

>>63451503
And yes, Fantano is a faggot for calling that album "avant-garde" and "experimental". I'm a Drones fan but holy shit, that's just misleading. But again, he's the guy that said TMR was too dissonant or something.
>>
>>63451470
no. being condescending makes you condescending.
>"You don't know a lot of actually obscure music, do you?"

myeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees
>>
>>63451562
>M-MUH SECRIT ALBUM WILL NEVR B YOURS

You're legitimately pathetic.
>>
>>63451535
>do my research for me
If you want to stop droning you have to take the first step yourself
>>63451570
>No, using a super obscure or mainstream dichotomy is fucking stupid, despite the amount of obscure band you know.
Like someone said, he claims to be the busy nerd who is 'super into music'
I think that someone that is super into music would know more than Pitchfork hyped stuff
>>63451579
I didn't claim I did tho
>>
>>63451562
HAAHHAAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAAHHAHAH fucking faggot.

>muh secret musics
>>
>>63451580
i already know
>>
>>63451618
Being 'super into music' doesn't imply you exclusively discuss super obscure stuff though. It's normal he'd give somewhat hyped bands reviews. It would be neat if he discussed more obscure stuff instead of p4k wankery though.
>>
>>63451618
>>63451562
Absolutely ebin.
>>
>>63451618
>"do my research for me
If you want to stop droning you have to take the first step yourself"
literal feminist argument. disprove his point if you want to argue fag

>"I didn't claim I did tho"
what?
>>
>>63451351
neckbearded fedora tipper alert!
>>
File: danyboy.jpg (24 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
danyboy.jpg
24 KB, 245x245
oh shit the drones released a new album, I See Seaweed was amazing

also Shark Fin Blues was the soundtrack to the greatest masturbation scene on TV
>>
>>63451093
>He listens to whatever will give him Youtube money
ah yes, who hasn't heard of that hot new band all the kids are into these days, "the drone" or something like that
>>
the term experimental has lost all meaning to describe modern music desu
>>
>>63451863
The new Drones album is nothing compared to I See Seaweed, lower your expectations before listening
>>
>>63450964
You didn't actually listen to it, did you?
>>
>>63452156
Hey Anthony can you give me some tasty vegetarian recipes?
>>
>>63452156
hi anthony
>>
>>63452156
do you like your coffee the way you like your pussy?
>>
>>63451316
>Before the Internet
>5
should be lower tbqh
>>
granted, the new drones album is not 'avant-garde' or 'experimental', but you can't deny it's not at all original, especially in the context of the band's evolution. i think it may possibly become my favorite drones record.

as for fantano, we could all just agree to stop talking about him. he's far and away lost his (already shaky) relevance and the thing that is left is superficial and exists only because memers use him as bait to arouse other memers.
>>
>>63451316
i see nothing wrong here
>>
Gonna give it a listen now, I see seaweed was a favorite of mine
>>
>>63451863
Fuck the haters. I really liked the new album. I hope you enjoy it too anon.
>>
>>63454249
This
>>
>>63454249
>especially in the context of the band's evolution
this is useless. originality within the context of a bands evolution is so easily obtainable that it shouldn't be something to praise
>>
File: aesthetics.png (2 MB, 1916x1076) Image search: [Google]
aesthetics.png
2 MB, 1916x1076
>>63451863
The best still running show introduced me to my current favorite band. Based fucking McKinnon.
>>
>>63452068
They go in new direction, but there's still whiffs of I See Seaweed on it. The sound is quite different, but the vibes are similar.
Can't decide which I like better, honestly.
>>
>>63455204
that is true and is the reason i said 'especially'. when i noted the band's originality in relation to their previous stuff, i was more focused on the way they changed their style (i understand that is still a relatively useless point, but imo it adds a bit), so i guess i didn't express myself properly.

still, i haven't heard stuff that sounds like feelin kinda free.
>>
>>63451100
this is something i've heard before, they need to change the singer
>>
Not defending the Drones, i think they're a shite band, but why does everybody ITT have some fetish towards "experimental" music? Just because it tries something new doesn't mean it's gonna be good.
>>
>>63451535
Travelers - Sleeptalking
>>
File: old guy stinkface.jpg (24 KB, 186x240) Image search: [Google]
old guy stinkface.jpg
24 KB, 186x240
>>63450964
>listening to any critic about anything ever.
>>
>>63456194
this, Pitchfork is gone, and as based as fantano has been to us, people still circlejerk about him way too much, it needs to end
>>
>>63456245
Sounds like pretty unexperimental emo influenced indie dredge anon
>>
>>63456474
Fuck, meant >>63456104
>>
>>63456474
It's a meme
>>
File: fantano being objectively wrong.jpg (356 KB, 634x698) Image search: [Google]
fantano being objectively wrong.jpg
356 KB, 634x698
reminder
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.