[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So can any of you actually make music or are you all just talentless
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: 1432614013254.jpg (7 KB, 249x240) Image search: [Google]
1432614013254.jpg
7 KB, 249x240
So can any of you actually make music or are you all just talentless and base your elitism on what you listen to?
>>
>>63416795

Most of it is trash really. I'm talking about what I've heard on soundcloud/bandcamp threads. I've posted here for a while. I've made some decent stuff, nothing too great but I'm getting better. That being said the line between being serious and ironic is completely blurred here so don't take the pretentiousness too seriously because you can't tell if it's just to bait replies of if it's truth.
>>
i play wonderwall
>>
>>63416795
pretty much, I dont go on here much at all since I started focusing on making music. heres me man, let me know what you think
https://soundcloud.com/nick-mcgoldrick-1/tracks
>>
>>63416840
I also play wonderwall
>>
the latter
>>
You don't have to cook to enjoy quality food and to critique it - why so with music?
>>
>>63416795
I'm a pianist and a producer who exclusively doesn't post in soundcloud threads. That shit is how you stay in eternal bedroom producer mode.
>>
>>63416795
Well, look at soundcloud and bandcamp threads. Some of this stuff is good.
Me I've written soundtracks for money before so I guess I can
>>
>>63416909
there are no rules with music senpai. Why not just make what comes to mind with what you have? oh wait, thats right.
>>
>>63416909
for quality food though you understand so much more about it if you've actually cooked something. same probably goes for music, i dunno
>>
I play instruments but can't compose for my life.
>>
>>63416840
>>63416857
wonderwall bros ww@
>>
>>63416940
I know how to play some instruments, but I don't feel I can do something that haven't been done before so I rather just not.
I critique myself before I do others m8
>>
>>63416925
>That shit is how you stay in eternal bedroom producer mode.
And how do you leave eternal bedroom producer mode?
>>
>>63417019
we all do. mang. Making music for me is purely for self expression but I also hold high standards for myself. i started off using apps on my phone and ipad.
>>
File: appalacian lutherie.jpg (759 KB, 1908x1272) Image search: [Google]
appalacian lutherie.jpg
759 KB, 1908x1272
>>63416795
I can pick up and play any stringed instrument. Brass is beyond my grasp. I also throat sing. I also dabble in lutherie. I think in a lot of ways, my interest in music stems from my interest in building the tools of music.
>>
>>63417059
I guess I just don't care enough to do something with it, I enjoy the fuck out of music, and maybe this is why I'm such a harsh critique, but I have other things in mind
>>
>>63417037
Getting outside, playing shows, meeting and collating with other musicians (in person and not just emailing tracks to some anon). Get involved in your music community.
>>
>>63417111
Collaboating*
>>
>>63416909
you don't HAVE to, no

but name a single thing where people who are not proficient in the field have a more widely respected opinion than those who do
>>
>>63416795
talent is literally worthless
>>
i like poop
>>
>>63417111
What are some good places to play for a pianist? I've put out a piano album on bandcamp but it's mostly melancholic neo-impressionist compositions and I have no idea where I could play this stuff.
>>
>>63417157
Film.
>>
>>63417160

naw
>>
>>63417019
not him but you just try to play whatever you feel like playing, not trying to do anything good or be famous
try to express yourself y'know
>>
>>63417183
if you're any good, at art festivals and at cooler bars, maybe a jazz club

you might get a gig as a support act for someone else if they like your work also

(you have to be good mind you)

(I can't stress enough that you would have to be good, because if you aren't, literally nowhere is where you could play that stuff)
>>
>>63416964
Have you heard of counterpoint? it's something Bach pioneered. it's make 4 melodies with their own individual, unique nuances.

Start by making one melody. I usually start singing some notes but you can fumble around on some instruments. Once you have a melody you feel confident about, write harmonies. These harmonies can then be used as guitar parts, bass parts. And the rhythm of the first melody can help making the percussion/drum part.

Hopes this makes sense. Best of luck!
>>
>>63417183
Try bars, they're especially open to piano or acoustic guitar acts because they can always be louder but bands can't get softer. Also a lot of events like art expos (chance to play wild shit that won't fly in bars), corporate events ($$$), and weddings ($$). Ask your piano teacher too
>>
>>63417208
bullshit, people hang on every word respected directors give, many of them make bank just from the masterclasses they give on the side
>>
>>63416795

I play my little teapot.
>>
>>63417284
patrician desuyo
>>
>>63417160
What?
>>
>>63417238
>Have you heard of counterpoint?
I have, but I didn't know you could compose pieces like that. Thanks.
>>
The critic is the true artist
>>
>>63417367
The best critics are failed artists
>>
I am a professional shitposter, my instrument is the keyboard and have yet to make my magnum opus.
>>
>implying basing elitism off of talent is any better than basing it off consumption of media
muh weak self-confidence that I try and fail to mask
>>
>>63416795
I don't play any instrument because lack of money but I'd like to. I still make music tho.
https://soundcloud.com/bidocea
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.