[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/postrock/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11
File: Gybeslowriot.jpg (16 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Gybeslowriot.jpg
16 KB, 350x350
Classics edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vRrGCVlMHk
>>
>heads up
Be careful talking about any post rock band that isn't Godspeed here, guys. You'll be called a redditor
>>
>>63414303
godspeed is literally the most reddit post-rock band though
>>
>>63414235

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7uhaPyZG9Y

<3
>>
>>63414316
I wouldn't even know but I wouldn't be surprised.
Has everybody heard the new Mogwai?
>>
One of my alltime favorite post-rock albums.

Joy Wants Eternity
https://youtu.be/B4T_sjPLYS4
>>
>>63414303
You realize that only 3rd wave is considered reddit right?
>>
>>63414373
Wow, even more generic and derivative crescendocore
>>
>>63414340
downloading right now
>>
>>63414340
Atomic? I thought it was to be released in April
>>
File: 1444516947255.jpg (12 KB, 400x397) Image search: [Google]
1444516947255.jpg
12 KB, 400x397
Favourite esoteric post-rock?
>>
>>63414439
Magnog, although Cerberus Shoal are great too. I've only heard Homb, easy 9/10 for me, what else should I hear?
>>
>>63414316
says the redditor
>>
>>63414432
It leaked, check the pirate bay. I would zip but I can't atm

Favorite post-rock album
>He Has Left Us Alone
>>
>>63414461
there's alot of great unheard post-rock from the 90s in my opinion. I'm gonna call it "pre-lysf" post-rock

Hungry Ghosts
Cul de Sac
Aerial M
Yume Bitsu
Rachel's
Earwig

the 90s are imo the better decade in post-rock - before every band started rince and repeating LYSF into the 2000s. But don't get me wrong there are some standout bands that have sorta kept post-rock limping over the 00s and into the 10s
>>
I love jakob;

>Jakob – Subsets of Sets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ7r0aE3WwA

>Jakob - Cale:Drew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70p4Xj8GKD0

>Jakob - Dominion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTY7LNCkESc

>Jakob - Solace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uixEOC5ieC8

>Jakob - Sines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNsNMpU0I3M
>>
>>63414527
I'm no stranger to first wave man, I know my shit on the genre. I haven't checked out Hungry Ghosts, Aerial M, Rachel's or Earwig though.
Post-rock was at its best in the 90s for sure, nothing tops the first wave pioneers.
Shit, I can't think of any good modern post-rock other than neo-GYBE and neo-Swans. Some recs?

>>63414552
Take your crescendocore back to /r/music
>>
>>63414340
Isn't it a sound track to a movie or something? Can't they just do studio stuff. Stuart is in a new band, what's it called? I think it has a female vocalist.
>>
>>63414552
I saw these guys open like 6 years ago for tool. Then saw them last year in a small pub in Brisbane. They were great!

Evpatoria Report is bretty gud and new.
>>
>>63414572
ariel m is just another david pajo project
>>
>>63414641
God damn, how many names does that guy release his music under?
>>
>>63414572
Magyar Posse, have always been a favourite of mine from the 3rd wave
Something like Elvis
Linda Martini
Grace Cathedral Park
Neo-Labradford

>>63414572
>Take your crescendocore back to /r/music
I think before you start to dismiss bands like Jakob you have to remember that any post-LYSF is to some extent cresendocore - instead of dismissing them give them because of some meme, why not give them alisten? Jakob are pretty unique against their contemporaries.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv86T73odCU
>>
>>63414657
>any post-lysf is crescendocore
That's what I like so much about Neo-Swans, they break that trend. Now if every other post-rock band could follow down that route (not literally, that'd be a disaster)
>>63414669
Crescendocore band no. 17528.
Next
>>
>>63414578
He's in Minor Victories. Rachel Goswell is the vocalist. Not sure about the film score part, but it has a definite 80's apocalypse movie vibe to it.
My favorite tracks were Pripyat and Tzar
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6LKlG5wxx0
>>
>>63414676
why are you complaining about crescendocore in a post rock thread?

that would be like complaining about boring and unoriginal beats and mediocre lyrics in a kanye thread
>>
File: image.png (234 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
image.png
234 KB, 500x400
>>63414702
>all post-rock is crescendocore
Proof that the quality of this board has sunk to less than 0
>>
>>63414719
thats not what hes saying at all, hes just saying its a major part of it
>>
>>63414633
>Jakob
>Tool
>Same night

Wow, killer line up.
>>
>>63414719
>complains about crescendocore
>can't contribute with any of his own recs

kys my friend
>>
>>63414702
Ayye lmao

Why do people not like crescendo stuff. It's almost synonymous with post rock. Not every song needs to be a crescendo core but it certainly is an element that if incorporated well it becomes a hall mark of the genre.

Like other poster, it's like complaining about deep house that leaves out bass for a bit to then bring it back in. To hate blues that do an elegant decrescendo at the end, hate slint for strange rhythmic patterns, hate stoner doom for moving around a similar riff.
>>
>>63414731
And it shouldn't be.
In general we should just stop discussing it, there's nothing new to talk about anyways. You've heard one third wave song, you've heard them all.
>>63414745
No one has requested any. Why would I post them?
Just head on back to /r/music you stupid crescendocore fag
>>
>>63414767
it's ironic that you complain about the lack of quality on this board yet you contribute nothing and only seek to be a contrarian faggot.

YOU are the cancer killing this board. people will learn to spot your typing style and ignore you in the future and you won't be the first that it's happened to.
>>
>>63414767
You've heard first wave song, you've heard every kraut rock song that didn't originate from Germany.

See how ignorant I sound?
>>
>>63414809
thats not really apt but still lol
>>
>>63414801
First of all if you fucking learnt how to read you'd notice I was discussing first wave rarities with the tripfriend up above, right up until you faggots posted your third wave trash. I have contributed, just not in the way you faggots contribute garbage.
Take a long walk off a short pier.
>>63414809
What? The two are complete unrelated.
If you can show me a third wave album which isn't all just *listens to GYBE/Mogwai/ISIS once* then I'd be happy to listen.
>>
File: images (25).jpg (19 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
images (25).jpg
19 KB, 384x384
>>63414767
You sound like a grub, crescendo is good.

How has none one mentioned this.
>>
>>63414856
i gave you 5 recs that are exactly that you ignorant fuck
>>
>>63414869
>crescendo is good
Nice try but no.
>>63414875
None of those are 3rd wave. All fall into second or late first
>>
File: 1457386131607.jpg (24 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
1457386131607.jpg
24 KB, 500x374
>>63414886
theres no pleasing contrarian memers
>>
>>63414896
>everything i don't like is a contrarian meme
You have great taste in post-rock but you haven't even provided me any proof that third wave isn't shit. And Jakob are basically another ISIS knockoff, nothing wrong with ISIS though.
>>
>>63414922
Shit meant to type Mogwai, all these secondwavers are confusing me
>>
>>63414922
fuck off to Syria then
>>
>>63414936
good meme made me chuckle
>>
>>63414922
Evpatoria Report, *shels. Bretty gud third wave
>>
>>63415013
Evpatoria Report are marginally above mediocre and shels are boring. And both still follow the same generic crescendo style
>>
>>63414922
honestly no matter what, you're hellbent on the fact that the only good modern post-rock is neo-swans. Which yes I agree with to an extent but how is an album like To be Kind not just a noisy cresendocore album? Obviously that's besides the point and completely ridiculous.

Since Godspeed! walked onto the seen post-rock has become progressively dumbed down. Obviously, happens with alot of genres when popularity and profit becomes a huge aspect of the music.
Sigur Ros basically pushed Post-rock into the mainstream along with some of their contemporaries, and because of that ALOT of bands started doing what they and their contemporaries were doing because it's what was popular.

The only good post-rock bands from the 10s are the bands who go behond this boundry, these guidelines created in the late 00s. Bands like Kairon; IRSE! Who just basically infused shoegaze with post-rock which obviously isn't a new thing but in a saturated cesspool of contemporary 3rd wave music they stood out because of their unique take on post-rock. This is what you need to look out for, every few years a band with rise out of the ashes of 3rd wave post-rock and make something genuinly unique and good.

I genuinly believe there needs to be a new wave of post-rock. And Swans should probably be the foundingfathers, their avant-folk(ish) take on textured post-rock pieces on The Seer were incredibly good. And then their more No Wave take on Post-rock with To be Kind. I just want these neo-Swans albums to be the modern LYSF were bands say "Heeyyyyy that's pretty good!"

>>63415029
>shels are boring
>Post-rock
>Boring
yeah sorry to break it to you bud.
>>
>>63415047
I'm not, I want new post-rock that's both incredibly original and good. Neo-Swans and Neo-GYBE are the only ones I can think of.
While TBK does follow several crescendocore tropes that's on only 4 of the 10 songs. And they still manage to pull it off in a style that's unique and not quite done before. And you're forgetting about The Seer.

Yes, GYBE were a major part in the watering down of post-rock, but they themselves never intended that. I point the blame to bands like EITS (who are easily the sole reason post-rock is in the shithole it is today) and Sigur Ros, which you mentioned.

Now see, that's what I'm looking for. A band mature enough to look past the cheap and superficial styles of third wave and see what they can really do with a genre with so much potential. I'll check them out, thank you very much.

I'm on your side with this, there needs to be a fourth wave with Swans pushing it through the same way Slint and GYBE did before. But no, bands should not literally just copy Gira and co. They should come up with something completely different, like GYBE made something completely different with the foundations laid by Slint and Talk Talk.

Shels are post-metal, big deal. They have the ISIS style of crescendo-sludge which really does nothing new.
And you're crazy to call first and second wave boring
>>
File: a1262743976_5.jpg (73 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
a1262743976_5.jpg
73 KB, 700x700
>>
>>63414378
Why can't you just enjoy it
Jesus you guys try way too hard to fit in
>>
>>63415496
Because it's incredibly generic and boring. Stupid redditor
>>
>>63415179
this is great
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYatqE7OA1Q
>>
Anyone know any good 'Arabic' sounding bands similar to tracks like Mladic, Peasantry and New Song #1 (Building) by GYBE?
>>
File: Death Of The Sun (1).jpg (68 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Death Of The Sun (1).jpg
68 KB, 600x600
post underrateds
>>
>>63416009
Try searching for Post-Rock in Arabic countries on RYM charts
>>
>>63416009
What is this "New Song 1"?
>>
>>63414378
Can someone explain to me each of the waves?
1st wave is stuff like Spiderland, right?
>>
>>63416417
First wave: Slint, Talk Talk, Bark Psychosis, Tortoise, Swans
Second wave: GYBE, Mogwai, Sigur Ros
Third wave: EITS, TWDY, Mono and every other GYBE/Mogwai ripoff you can think of
>>
>>63416459
Thanks. Pretty much a perfect response.
>>
>>63416276

The jam of a lifetime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHOwdByY4EM
>>
>>63416664
Good fucking lord this sounds beautiful. I just looked up New Song #2 and that one is transcendent. LP6 will be godly
>>
>>63416686
There's gonna be a LP6? Hyped rn
>>
Why does everyone hate This Will Destroy You? Theyre one of my favorite bands and every time I post about them everyone says theyre not good.
>>
>>63416664
>dickheads cheering

god I hate live shows
>>
>>63416686
>New Song #2
Holy shit yes, this is fucking great.
>>
>>63416664
Kind of sounds like Joe Cocker's version of A Little Help From my Friends.
>>
File: halal.jpg (31 KB, 283x283) Image search: [Google]
halal.jpg
31 KB, 283x283
>>63416686
>>63417309

>When the spaghetti western guitar comes in
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.