[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mu/'s opinion on Aerosmith?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 6
File: aerosmith-circa mid 1980s.jpg (188 KB, 1460x1027) Image search: [Google]
aerosmith-circa mid 1980s.jpg
188 KB, 1460x1027
/mu/'s opinion on Aerosmith?
>>
Decent for a short period but have survived for decades too long
>>
JUST A SMALL TOWN GIRL
>>
http://every-album-is-aerosmith.tumblr.com
>>
>>63384832
who?
>>
The buttiest of buttrock. May as well be assrock.
>>
Rock's sounds so good. t just has these blessed moments scattered throughout that put any comparable hard rock band to shame. The guitar interplay and the tightness of the songwriting makes me prefer it just most of zeppelin's stuff.

But that albums was a miracle, they've never come close to it since.
>>
Xgau warned back then that Led Zeppelin peaked with their fourth and Rocks was Aerosmith's fourth, so do the math.
>>
>>63384854
/thread
>>
Aerosmith represented a transitional phase between the Led Zeppelin era and the New Wave era. While they continued in the established Zeppelin/Sabbath funk rock mould, they also added some new ideas such as the power ballad and Steven Tyler created a new kind of rock vocal. There was nobody before him that sounded quite like that.
>>
honestly at some point in my life this band will never be mentioned again and I will be so happy about it
>>
File: what.gif (1 MB, 198x200) Image search: [Google]
what.gif
1 MB, 198x200
>>63384832
I will never, ever be able to comprehend that the man that sang Dream On is the same man that sung any of their other fucking songs. It's impossible.
>>
Yeah there's just something about them that is aesthetically very unnappealing to me, and I'm an unabashed 70's rock fan through and through, even the forgotten bands and the less critically acclaimed ones, Aerosmith just totally rubs me the wrong way, like Foghat.
>>
>>63384832
my grandpa loves them
>>
>>63386497
Foghat just has that name.
>>
Overplayed as it is, Walk This Way is the perfect rock song. I could listen to it 10 times in a row and not get tired of it.
>>
Last Child is also a personal fave of mine, yet they have other songs I don't like at all. For example, I find Back In The Saddle incredibly abrasive.
>>
>>63386497
They can't be as bad as Journey although most people would associate them more with the 80s.
>>
>>63384832
They are literally the worst band of all time.
>>
>>63386896
Put on a Staind CD and get back to me.
>>
>>63386874
Journey is a great band though
>>
Even just among Aerosmith's contemporaries, worse bands include Journey, Styx, Kiss, and Genesis.
>>
>>63384832
They're the cheesiest and most awful rock band from that era.
>>
>>63386912
Steve Perry's nephew browses /mu/. Whoda thunk it.

Nah, your uncle is shit and his band was shit.
>>
>>63386932
Compared to Kiss? Come on.
>>
>>63386931
Kansas also sucks cock and balls.
>>
Bands who cited Aerosmith as an influence include Metallica, Guns'N'Roses, Nirvana, Motley Crue, Whitesnake, and more.
>>
Yah they had a good run in the mid-70s, too bad they became horrible drug addicts and fell apart in a hurry. Then resurfaced years later as a shitty Top 40 hit factory.
>>
Is it true they haven't written their own songs since the early 90s? I thought I'd read that somewhere.
>>
>>63387076
Not since their late 80s comeback. They started using the help of Desmond Child to write songs on Permanent Vacation. Yeah, Desmond Child, aka Captain Soft Rock.

But that wasn't the worst. The single worst thing ever was I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing. It can never possibly get worse than that.
>>
Welp, after the band fell apart with Joe Perry and Brad Whitford's departure, they became irrelevant for several years. Rock In A Hard Place was not a hit and failed to produce any singles. They get back with Perry and Whitford in 84, quickly shit out Done With Mirrors, it sucks, and then they're suddenly miraculously saved by Run DMC.

So they hire some veteran song doctors and have the big comeback in the late 80s. Only now they're off of drugs and lost whatever edge they once had.
>>
>>63386963
I'd say Kiss were marginally less awful. Marginally
>>
>>63387170
Aerosmith at least have always had the same five guys except during their exile in 80-83 unlike the revolving door lineup of post-70s Kiss.
>>
>>63387160
Xgau liked Done With Mirrors which doesn't make sense. Why does he always whine about misogyny in rock (see his reviews of Foreigner and GNR) but gives a B+ to one of the most misogynistic albums ever.
>>
>>63387230
Because Xgau is a contrarian fuckstick with no consistency or validity
>>
>>63387160
I think, if you listened to DWM, it's pretty obvious that they hadn't been keeping up with the rock scene for some time because this album still sounds like the 70s except for some updated production cliches like the guitars being moved to the back of the mix for that 80s "chorus" effect. The songwriting and overall "feel" of Mirrors are very disconnected from the mid-80s. After all, 1985 was a lot different from the Carter years when they'd last recorded together.
>>
>>63387273
>>63387230
Because he's always been an Aerosmith fan and he has a habit of giving Bs and As to all albums from his "pet" bands regardless of how shitty the record is.
>>
>>63387230
I'm pretty sure he's almost unique among all music critics in thinking Mirrors was a good album.
>>
>>63387294
>>63387340
Some Aerosmith fans have a soft spot for DWM because it's the last "real" album before they turned into commercialized radio bilge.
>>
Joe Perry is awfully overrated as a guitarist. For one thing, all those headbanging riffs on the classic albums are Brad Whitford's playing, secondly that solo record he put out in 1980 was pure shit.
>>
So what's your favorite Aerosmith song, /mu/? Power ballad or funky uptempo country rock song.
>>
>>63387294
>The songwriting and overall "feel" of Mirrors are very disconnected from the mid-80s.

Yeah...they didn't do this.

"I'M GONNA ROCK ALL NIGHT LONG MOM AND DAD AND THE PMRC AIN'T GONNA HOLD ME BACK! GIRLS, GIRLS GIRLS! YEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" *epic shredder solo*
>>
>>63387170
If Aerosmith had one good song it automatically places them above Kiss, and they had several. I'm not the biggest Aerosmith fan either but they were miles ahead of Kiss.
>>
>>63387974
Walk This Way and Last Child alone are better than Kiss's entire discography. Not that Kiss didn't have good songs, but they couldn't touch the groove, tightness, or songwriting of Wings, Toys, and Rocks.
>>
Have a few good albums (Self-Titled - Rocks was a pretty decent run) but went on too long and fucked up their legacy/reputation.

U2 did the same thing, although U2 was a far superior band.
>>
>>63388104
Bono never did anything as horrific as I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing.
>>
>>63388026
If you think Kiss had any good songs, you don't belong on /mu/. Heck, if you admit that you even listened to Kiss in the first place, you don't belong on /mu/.
>>
>>63388121

I honestly don't get the Bono hate, anyway (Besides the fact that U2 isn't good anymore). Whatever, he's preachy about charity. I feel like South Park had that episode making fun of him and Redditor-esque people blindly followed it until it became widespread. (See Kanye West, Al Gore)
>>
Toys in the Attic and Rocks are absolutely essential rock albums
>>
>>63388121
He did worse by deciding he was God's gift to world peace and starving African babies and whatever.
>>
My uncle who is kinda like my dad but cooler explained it to me

Og Aerosmith= awesome
Neo Aerosmith = awesomely shit

Seems pretty accurate
>>
>>63388204
Das fair enough. This is one band that truly lost their edge when they stopped using drugs.
>>
Draw the Line has a few good moments but it's amazing just how fast they spiraled into shit after 1976. Night In The Ruts is barely even an album, more like a bunch of incomplete jam sessions.
>>
File: tyler.jpg (6 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
tyler.jpg
6 KB, 299x168
This thread is E to the Z ooh tweedly dee-scusting.
>>
>>63388174
I don't entirely disagree but people have disliked bono for a long time.

Henry Rollin being a well documented example. There's a live bit he did in dublin where the entire crowd cheers in total agreement when he starts trashing bono's live aid bullshit.
>>
>>63388292
lol
>>
>Steven Tyler describing Janey's Got A Gun

"I wrote this song because I'm a father and I'm sure every man sometimes has those kind of thoughts about his daughter. You know, because she's a growing young lady and she looks like her mother and all that, but most of us know better than to act on them."

>literally admitting he wanted to fuck his own daughter

Stay classy, Steve.
>>
>>63388469
Only a fag wouldn't want to fuck Liv Tyler.
>>
>>63384832
First 4 albums are top tier dad rock
So much fun
Hit and miss since them.
>>
>>63385298
It's cockrock you dope.
>>
>>63388469
He was an ace pedophile back in the day; they have many songs about boning 13 year old groupies.
>>
File: thelegend.jpg (452 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
thelegend.jpg
452 KB, 2048x1536
>>63385405
As in more than Zeppelins stuff? Man i went through all of Zeppelins stuff and it was fucking insane. So angsty in their early years, III onward are fucking masterpieces. I love how their sound changes by In through the out door, and Coda shows off the bands range spectacularly.
>>
>>63385691
Disagree completely. III>IV any fucking day. Since I've Been loving you> stairway. The flow in III is perfect, and i only don't like it cause two back to back slow acoustics but that's the only complaint.
Also, Houses of the Holy has them expanding to funk and caribbean and psych rock floyd stuff. Physcial Graffiti and In through the out door have some even wider range of zeppelin trying more genres.
You owe it to yourself if you like blues and dadrock to do all of zeppelin. I won't say all their stuff is great, they just have great range.
>>
>>63388535
>>
>>63386947
I'd say you are both wrong, to recognize Journey as shit is pretty wrong but i myself havent gone through album by album. From what i have heard it's kinda samey.
>>
>>63386931
That's all is a fucking great genesis song.
>>
>>63388588
>So angsty in their early years, III onward are fucking masterpieces

That's the normal arc of most rock groups. In their youthful early days, they make crude, loud, punky material and then as they age and their musical tastes get more sophisticated turn into overcooked 2deep4u wankery.
>>
>>63386963
Lol so genuine.
Theres an interview of paul stanley speaking in his usual metaphors, gene semens jewing it up and being a business man, and peter chris and ace are just high as fuck right next to them.
Ace freely isn't terrible doe, Gene simmons just took his big financial dick and rammed it through them.
>>
File: freezypop.gif (417 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
freezypop.gif
417 KB, 300x168
>>63387118
Every high school slow dance and the only slow dance
>>
>>63388703
The thing is, Aerosmith never pulled that off. Their early albums were raw, but they couldn't seem to develop the range that Zeppelin or the Stones had. Maybe if they hadn't fucked themselves with drugs, they could have done it.
>>
>>63388703
I mean you could just be Jet or Rise Against and make the same fucking rock album over and over. I appreciate the attempt at different. But that's why every album had some pushing the envelope weird shit.
>>
>>63388759
Well i mean one of the pillars of zepplin decided that taking 60 shots in a 24 hour period was a good idea so i feel like the drug train stops for most eventually.
>>
>>63388703
Shit, if you heard RHCP self-titled and Stadium Arcadium, you'd hardly even know it's the same band. If you're like 90% of people and only know their singles from 1991 up your mind would be blown if you listen to True Men Don't Kill Coyotes.
>>
>>63388827
Tyler and Perry are lucky to be alive. They should have been dead by Reagan's inauguration day in 81 with the way they were going.
>>
>>63388801
Or AC/DC.
>>
>>63388937
Oh christ so much this. One of the first bands i realized was shit.
>>
>>63388469
source
>>
>>63388831
>your mind would be blown
Not really, their early stuff is just as bland and empty
>>
>>63388980
They really aren't though, the tightness of their groove is second to none.
>>
>>63389127
It's the same goddamn groove and its just the angus young show. Bon scott died and angus took over. Not that he isn't good, i just wish it was solo so i didn't pity the rest of the shitty forgotten band on stage while angus runs over his stadium of bitches
>>
>>63389122
I don't like it therefore it's shallow and empty.
>>
>>63388661
Don't listen to Journey, dude. Your ears deserve better.
>>
>>63388137
Now I know you're a troll because only trolls say "heck".
>>
I do like My Fist, Your Face from Done With Mirrors.
>>
they have a few really solid songs. I can't hate them like AC/DC because a childhood friend of mine liked them.
>>
>>63388174
People have disliked Bono for being preachy for a loooooong time lol. Where do you think they got the idea for the episode from?
>>
Basically "I'm 16 and I know good music"-core along with Bon Jovi, Kiss, Journey, and other bands similar to those
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.