[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw taste has vastly improved as I've gotten older >have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: the sad frog.jpg (114 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
the sad frog.jpg
114 KB, 1252x1252
>tfw taste has vastly improved as I've gotten older
>have friends I used to listen to modest mouse and tortoise with when I was 16
>they just listen to rihanna now
I have left my friends in the dust. I think I finally understand "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times". Sure pop is cool but sometimes I want to show these guys Stan Kenton or Les Rallizes Denudes. They're too busy thinking Jeremih is a genius and don't even like tortoise anymore

Anyone else lonely at the top?
>>
>>63362787
is this a meme?
>>
>>63362837
No I'm sad that the primary thing I bonded over my friends with has deteriorated

I think similar things have happened to other people on this board and wanted to talk about it
>>
>>63362837
yeah you just fell for it dude
>>
>>63362787
>don't even like tortoise anymore
How is it possible for taste to regress? Also yeah none of my friends have good taste who cares there's more to talk about than just music
>>
>>63362922
>there's more to talk about than just music
Like what?
>>
>>63362787
5/5
>>
>>63362922
i dont see how its possible to like tortoise in the first place
>>
>>63363681
They are the only artist to ever successfully combine electronic music and rock so that should be viewed as an achievement
>>
Becoming a /mu/core anti pitchfork has made it harder to talk to my /p4k/core friends.

>>63363703
This is some juicy bait.
>>
>>63362787
Congratulations you finally evolved from /mu/core to sub-/mu/core.
>>
>>63363823
Stan Kenton is way more patrician than sub-/mu/core like Fishmans and Sweet Trip
>>
This is just what happens to anyone who pursues any interest with any voracity beyond passive. Unless they start to grow with you, they don't have that same flame of passion as you do. The thing is, few people have even the embers of passion, despite the fact that they all could.

It starts with a spark. Always. When you're exposed to new worlds and new ideas, the sparks fly. However, not all the sparks catch. Many die out quickly, leaving only an ashy ghost as their dying breath, then ceasing entirely. On the other hand, many do catch. You know this, as they have caught in you. They catch in other people too, just like they caught in your friends all that long time ago, but this is where you differ. Even caught, the ember is small and weak. One breath can extinguish it forever, yet within it is the potential for a blaze that will burn brightly until the day of your death. Whether knowingly or not, you have nurtured the ember. You have fed it with knowledge, with new experiences, with more sparks. Your ember has grown. Theirs have not.
This is the essence of all betterment: to carefully tend to the embers of passion. If practiced, it will become natural when you feel a spark.
You cannot force your friends to tend to theirs, it is something they must do. What you can do though, is give them new experiences, new knowledge, new sparks. If they tend to none of them, so be it. They will die cold. Many people do.

>tl;dr: Your friends aren't hot.
>>
>>63362787
Stan Kenton is great, one of my favourite band leaders.
>>
LMAO if they're your good friends, who gives a fuck? It's music dude. It really shouldn't affect social interactions this much.

You can always introduce music to them, sure. Expecting them to like it....not really.
>>
>>63363942
this

if you dont have any common interests besides music then you're not even that good friends
>>
>>63364741
Maybe but what if it is just the primary thing that draws people together?

People may also like watching soccer or gossiping or snorting cocaine together but there's usually a primary interest that they all have
>>
>>63364767
i think it's more important to have personalities that work well together rather than interests, me and my friends hardly have any common interests except for a few things yet we've been best friends for over 10 years
>>
>>63364950
this guy gets it
>>
>>63363703
I like tortoise plenty, but this is just not true
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.