[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is fantastic. Not only are the people who dislike this record
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 4
File: Trout_Mask_Replica.png (159 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Trout_Mask_Replica.png
159 KB, 300x300
This is fantastic. Not only are the people who dislike this record musically uneducated, and thoroughly out of their league in taste and music discussion, but now they have to be associated with FANTANO! Jesus Christ thank God I'm not one of you pathetic teenagers.
>>
>>63357921
Fantano liked the record though
>Jesus Christ thank God I'm not one of you pathetic teenagers.
Underage confirmed
>>
>>63357942
>Fantano liked the record though
No he didn't. He said that he appreciated its place in history but that it was effectively 2deep4him.
>>
fuck off. it's people like you that are destroying this album. Stop acting superior just because you enjoy TMR ffs. Because of that attitude everybody says we only pretend to enjoy it. I don't fucking pretend to enjoy TMR. I love the it, i love dancing to it and i love to sing ant man bee while i'm on the showe. I don't consider myself some kind of genius because of it. It's just music like everything else.
>>
>>63358055
I don't consider myself a genius. I just think other people are fucking morons.
>>
>>63358055
/thread

Show's over folks. OP got his (You)s.
>>
>>63358090
That is the edgiest thing I've heard in some time
>>
>>63357921
Explain to me why this album is good.
>>
>>63358055
This to be honest familia
>>
>>63357962
>2deep4him
Literally EVERYTHING speculated about this record on grounds of music philosophy is hilariously over analyzed. I'd love to see Captain Beefheart himself come back from the dead and tell all you pretentious shills to fuck off.
>>
File: OldBootsNewDirt.jpg (14 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
OldBootsNewDirt.jpg
14 KB, 220x220
>>63357921
This is fantastic. Not only are the people who dislike this record musically uneducated, and thoroughly out of their league in taste and music discussion, but now they have to be associated with FANTANO! Jesus Christ thank God I'm not one of you pathetic teenagers.
>>
>>63358090
I remember 9th grade.
>>
Do people actually like the sound of this music or like it for something more? I can't physically listen to it. It sounds fucking awful to me and i can't stand it for more than 1 minute
>>
File: shaggs.jpg (58 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
shaggs.jpg
58 KB, 500x500
>>
I just don't enjoy the album. It's not my favorite. I still think it is a great and important album, and I totally understand how this album could evoke a response like this >>63358055, but it's just not for me.

Is that okay with this board? Am I allowed to recognize its greatness while simultaneously not enjoying it as a leisurely listen?
>>
>>63358171
They were offended at the idea of being called unsophisticated or plebs and forced themselves to listen to it multiple times until they could tolerate it. Now they tell people on 4chan that they're better even though none of them are capable of explaining why liking this album makes someone a music expert because obviously, they're bandwagoning on a meme.
>>
>>63358171
something something pleb something something you just don't *understand* something something 2deep4you something something my taste is superior
>>
>>63358202
Nothing is okay with this board, no matter whether you love or hate an album you have shit taste in the eyes of /mu/
>>
>>63358150
>speculated
I'm talking about the inherent musical compositions, kid. Not dumb philosophy shit.
>>63358171
Yeah I love the sound of it. It's exciting, like if Stravinsky had an acid session with Ornette Coleman
>>
Does anyone else that likes feel like TMR sounds less and less inaccessible and random the more you listen to it? I've listened to it so many times that I don't even remember how or why I hated it on the first listen.
>>
>>63358127
>>63358230
Do you think Gruppen, The Shape of Jazz to Come, and/or Ameriques are bad?
>>
>>63358231
I wasn't even saying my music taste was better i literally just don't understand how you can physically listen to this and not get disgusted
>>
>>63358359
>i literally just don't understand how you can physically listen to this and not get disgusted
IDK maybe by listening to stuff outside of indie rock?
Are you from reddit?
>>
>>63358293
I haven't listened to any of those albums/artists
>>
>>63358293
They're irrelevant to the discussion, explain to me why this album is good.
>>
>>63358379
Explain why this album is good without quoting or paraphrasing reviewer opinions.
>>
>>63358389
>I haven't listened to any of those albums/artists
Jesus Christ, do you even care about music?
>>63358390
>They're irrelevant to the discussion
No they aren't, their musical aesthetics are entirely comparable to TMR. You haven't listened to them either? This is BASIC shit.
>>
>>63358418
See >>63358293
>>
>>63358420
Man you can't even explain why TMR is good so I'd get on that before you start talkin shit.
>>
>>63358447
I already answered you I'm
This guy >>63358171
>>63358230
>>63358389
>>63358418
>>63358452
>>
>>63358420
So you don't actually have anything to say about the album. I'm a self-admitted Dylan freak, I don't ask people, "well, do you like Townes, Cohen or Waits?" when they say they don't like Blonde on Blonde.

I'm not even the first anon, you've just done a shit job at explaining your viewpoint.

[spoiler]Doc at the Radar Station is the funner listen[/spoiler]
>>
>>63358452
TMR is good because, like these exemplary avantgarde masterworks before it, there is a unique feeling of an ordered discord, a chaos that inherently is conventional or at least simplistic in some way. And yet something like Dali's Car is really the closest rock music would come to Stravinsky a la Les Noces for at least another decade, My Human Gets Me Blues the closest to Free Jazz in rock for another decade.
>>
Like seriously TMR really isn't an album you have to ask how it's good. It's like asking why The Rite of Spring is good.
>>
>>63358420
P O S E U R
A L E R T
but in all seriously, dont be that guy.
>>
>>63358642
See >>63358507
>>
Of course the kids who don't know shit about avantgarde music left the thread when they were accosted.
This is why I barely come here anymore.
>>
>>63358507
Wow dude vague gibberish, fascinating. All you said was that it is chaotic. It is not structured, it is significantly less structured than most music, it is chaotic.

There is nothing good about chaotic, it just is. Chaotic is easy, structure is hard. Music itself is distinguished from noise by structure, both rhythmic and melodic. TMR is overrated tryhard garbage.
>>
>>63358746
>It is not structured
Aside from having complete fucking verse-chorus forms, and aside from relying almost entirely on tonal scales and tonal centers in general? You don't know shit.
>There is nothing good about chaotic
Again, I'd wager you've listened to absolutely no avantgarde music.
>>
>>63358780
Yeah it is vaguely structured because it's music and has to have some kind of vague tonal structure or else it would literally be incoherent noise.

Compared to other music it is very unstructured. Him calling it ordered chaos isn't some kind of compliment to its complexity. It really is mostly chaos and closer to noise than music. It really is a steaming pile of shit made by dudes who were dissociating way too hard on acid.
>>
>>63357921
If you think about it, TMR isn't really that different from Speedin Bullet to Heaven. Are you gonna call people uneducated for disliking that album too? At the end of the day music is subjective. Always has, always has be. Some people only have the stomach to like one messy, avant-garde record anyway so you can't really blame anyone for being turned off when they hear TMR.
>>
>>63358832
>and has to have some kind of vague tonal structure or else it would literally be incoherent noise.
Holy fuck you don't know shit. Schoenberg you fucking teenager.
>>
>>63358887
>If you think about it, TMR isn't really that different from Speedin Bullet to Heaven.
Now that I thought about it, they're absolutely nothing alike.
>>
I love this album because it's total freedom. Freedom...that thing nobody can explain what that means and at the same time everybody understands what it means.
TMR is freedom to me. That's why i love it, that's why everytime i play i just have the feel to get up and dance and sing the lyrics and makes me feel very happy. I don't care what the critics say, that's teh reason why i love TMR. It's a group of artists making music with complete freedom.
People don't have to enjoy it, i can respect that. We don't have to listen to the same things that would be very boring.
>>
>>63358888
It was implied that I was talking about song structure as well.

The point stands that just being chaotic doesn't make it good. It doesn't link chaos together like jazz does, it is almost so chaotic that it is just noise. There is nothing good or special about that. This album is tryhard nonsense, and you are pretentious and unoriginal.
>>
>>63358999
>It was implied that I was talking about song structure as well.
Song structure isn't tonal structure, and in that case see Debussy you fucking moron.
>>
Seriously TMR isn't hard to get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upo5FStElCc
>>
>>63358999
I was talking about both tonal and the structure of the actual song. You really are awful at this kid. You seriously haven't done anything but name other artists and imply that chaotic music is inherently good. You're full of shit and you refuse to accept it.
>>
>>63359053

>>63359201
>>
>>63359201
No, your original fucking quote was:
>>63358832
>it's music and has to have some kind of vague tonal structure or else it would literally be incoherent noise.

You clearly haven't listened to ANY atonal, structureless music. You clearly have NO value in this thread on /mu/.
>>
>>63359252
Still haven't even showed that you're capable of forming an informed adult opinion about TMR. Those artists all made music that had more overall structure than TMR. It's been so many posts that I'm just giivng up on you, you're trash and can't form a coherent opinion besides "chaos is GOOD LMAO" read a book you fucking chump.
>>
>>63359340
>Those artists all made music that had more overall structure than TMR.
They're composers you fucking nimrod.
My adult opinion on TMR is that there's no reason to hate it, it's a unique artistic statement similar to many other 20th century masterworks even more chaotic than it.
>>
there are a few kinds of people you don't want to be:
1. The person who listens to TMR without having heard much else weird music, so of fucking course you'll hate it and be confused. This doesn't make it bad.
2. The tryhard wannabe who knows nothing of composition, context, or the roots that allowed an album like TMR to form. If you just fake like it or like it because Scarfman, youmre an idiot
3. Someone who disregards TMR because meme status. Someone who disregards Beefheart in general has made a grave mistake as everytjing from the A&M sessions up to Ice Cream for Crownis pretty damn great (sans Unconditionally Guaranteed)
>>
>>63359340
Not the guy you're arguing with/baiting. This is just my 2 cents on the album.

It sounds unique and different from almost anything that had been released at the time and anything that has been released since.

Aside from that it actually has really amazing riffs, memorable lyrics that are basically poetry at some points, and amazing vocal delivery.

It takes more than a few listens to be able to appreciate simply because of how different it is from everything else you have listened to. Once you get past the initial weirdness and actually listen to the album you should be able to appreciate it for what it is.

Maybe try listening to Beefheart's other works. Starting with Safe As Milk which is in my opinion his most accessible work while still being really, really good.

This opinion is coming from a person who is musically uneducated by all definitions. I also am not the best writer, so it is difficult for me to fully express myself on something as complicated as the subjective experience of music.
>>
i understand not liking the album as a whole, but goddamn what a drummer john french is. that's actually how i first appreciated the album - just zeroing in on the drumming.
>>
its terrible
>>
>>63360262
>>63360274
>>
>>63359340
Oh man this guy
>>
>>63357921
This album is shit, i don't give a fuck how much talent or creativity was involved
>>
>>63360839

>>63360349
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1t0PN2emuQI
>>
i actually have so much more respect for melonhead after he called out tmr for being sporkcore bullshit

up until now I thought he was just like every other underage newfag with entry level /mu/core taste
>>
>>63361142
See >>63361058
>>
The one thing that never gets mentioned about this album is how it got made. Captain Beefheart more or less kept his entire band hostage in a house for 10 months. Zappa told Beefheart that he could record an album with full artist freedom. Beefheart then became more or less a cult leader and mentally broke down most of the group. One member was allowed to leave the house once a week to buy some food for the house. The band members had little food a band leader that acted like a cult leader and later admitted to a member during the process he was schizophrenic. They lived this album for 9 months. When they finally went to record this album it was recorded in about 5 hours more or less making this a live album. This album literally is the diaries of a mad man.
>>
>>63361870
>not even telling the story of French getting locked in a closet for a week because he couldn't "play like a strawberry"
>>
>>63358202
fuck no, you're a pleb
>>
What should I listen too before listening to this
>>
I started listening to this a week ago out of genuine curiosity and now memetano has reviewed it and it's all you faggots are talking about god damn it
>>
>>63358055
a couple days ago we had a thread that was "describe TMR without sounding pretentious".

wish you'd been there bro
>>
>>63362498
>>63362616
>>63362704
what do you want?
>>63362761
look up the most significant and prominent blues and delta blues musicians

devour all jazz and free jazz works of significance

then skip tmr because it's just some rock star's cheap imitation of the aforementioned
>>
>>63362761
Ornette Coleman - Shape of Jazz to Come/Free Jazz
Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream
Edgard Varese - Ameriques/Ionisation
George Antheil - Ballet Mecanique
>>
>>63358171
See as much as i disbelief the multiple listens to like it, it just happened to me recently with Money Store. Its angsty as fuck though but if you are in an angsty mood its pretty good. like drive back from work pissed off music.
>>
while i recognize that this is a b8 thread, i really do genuinely believe that people who can't appreciate stuff like death grips, troutmask replica, sunn0))), etc are completely tasteless plebs.

learn to appreciate timbre as well as tone people. you are missing out.
>>
>>63362761
Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk
Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz
Cecil Taylor's early stuff
John Lee Hooker - On the Waterfront
Howlin' Wolf - Moanin' in the Moonlight
>>
>>63357921
its pretty good for a meme album
>>
I definitely don't hate or dislike it, but I don't really "get" it. I realize it's good, I just can't understand how or why.
>>
>>63358379
>being this pretentious
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.