[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
American Football
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
File: 1458074210499.jpg (58 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
1458074210499.jpg
58 KB, 319x319
ive listened to this album a couple of times and i dont really get what's so special about it? can someone explain why it is so highly regarded on here? like it's not bad at all... just not incredible
>>
You don't have to understand everything
>>
>>63330153
listen to screamo instead
>>
>>63330170
i just wanna know why it's usually listed as /mu/core and why people like it, i kinda wanted to see a discussion on it
>>
>>63330153
Really depends on how old you are, what kind of music you typically enjoy.

I'd say this album does a good job at setting an atmosphere and can be nostalgic for certain people.

Maybe it's just not for you, which is perfectly fine.
>>
>>63330153
M-emi
>>
I'll tell you why I personally like it. It makes me feel very nostalgic of my teenage years I spent skateboarding in autumn. I think it encapsulates that atmosphere perfectly, also
>muh feels
>>
>>63330324
i was recommened this band in a Slint thread, like I love Slint and i was told this album would appeal to me too... idk

thank you
>>
>>63330153
The math-y arrangements and the stripped-down sound are unique from a musical standpoint. For me it's super nostalgic, the album itself just sounds like a teenage summer or something, I can't really describe it.
>>
>>63330153
you won't truly understand this album unless you spent your childhood/youth in the midwest/northeast US, or south eastern canada
>>
I've read this exact thread a million times and I don't really get what's so special about it? can someone explain why it is so frequent on here? like it's not worse than hemorrhoids... just not incredible
>>
>>63330743
lmao
>>
>>63330395
If you like slint listen to this. The cover's awful but it's fantastic.
>>
>>63330153
makes me nostalgic/sad about teenage years. I love the twinkly and math-rock guitars. I just think it sounds beautiful.
>>
File: parrot.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
parrot.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
>>63330743
this
>>
>>63330963
This mostly.

I used to think exactly like you OP, did not understand the hype. This album to me was a fucking massive grower, I personally think you won't pick up how masterful this is in the first few listens.
>>
>>63330275
It's /mu/core because it's an essential emo album. It helps you get into the genre and explore it more.
>>
>>63331193
It's weird how it clicked for me. At first thought it was OK, thought it was a bit too emo for me. Then one day I listened to it and it clicked. Then I listened to it one a day for a couple days.
>>
I think people just like the math rock-emo fusion. I personally don't - I think those are two genres that don't actually work well together. It feels too structured to fit my conception of what emo 'is.'
>>
>>63330275
/mu/core is just the list of albums more often discussed here, it doesn't mean a thing, really, just the frequency of discussion.
>>
I don't understand it either. It's really goodI like the nostalgic feel to it, but the songs are monotonous desu. Also even Grimes is considered /mu/core and she's terrible. so /mu/core doesn't really mean anything, it's just a meme.
>>
>>63330153
sound and composition make it a masterpiece.
Every song is composed in a different tuning
the structures are perfect.
the wall of sound from Honestly proof that they could had inserted more distortions in the album if they would wanted to.
Lyrics are 10/10
"perfect" album imo
>>
>>63330395
I think american football is better than spiderland which is great too
>>
>>63330153
Its the feels man, the feels. Had a relationship in the summer with a girl and it was very similar to the context of the album. We never officially "dated"

Listening to AF guarantees a tear from me.

And it also happens to a hugely influential album on the indie and math emo scene. Go to Bandcamp search for emo and look at how many bands are influenced, or try to copy AF. Its arguably one of the most influential albums of the late 90's and we are seeing a resurgence in its influence with the new emo revival
>>
>>63330153
I like it, but it won't make me nostalgic. I just happen to like math rock and emo.

Also, /r/ albuns with those two genres together
>>
TTNG did it better.
>>
>>63330153
for me, the guitars are just so damn beautiful
>>
>>63330153
maybe it was never meant
>>
>>63334848

>Its the feels man, the feels. Had a relationship in the summer with a girl and it was very similar to the context of the album. We never officially "dated"

I think this is why this record clicks with me so much too.

Just short summer relationships/flings of years past that never made it to autumn.
>>
>>63335777
It even clicks more when you can't get over that relationship/fling by the next spring
>>
>>63330153
You fucking meat head
>>
Pioneered the midwest-emo sound.
Emo was branching into vastly different directions almost immediately after its formation as a genre,
and American Football carved out a genre of emo that was mathy, jazzy, soft and twinkly.

Ultimately OP, we've both been so unhappy,
let's see how we feel when the summer ends.
>>
>>63336681
I'd give credit to Cap'n Jazz for creating that sound/genre. But AF perfected it.
>>
>>63330743
>you won't truly understand this album unless you spent your childhood/youth in the midwest/northeast US, or south eastern canada

When will this meme end? It's nostalgic for any teenager that grew up in the early 2000s. I lived in a small town in North Carolina. There was this small music venue that opened up where rock bands would play. It was the only outlet for my friends. We went there every weekend for shows. It reminds me of missed chances with girls in high school. It reminds me times of being so innocent, hanging with my friends and drinking the summer before college.

Again, you didn't have to grow up in fuckin nebraska to "get this".
>>
>>63337257
but senpai north carolina is pretty much the northeast
>>
>>63330153
If you're a faggy middle schooler that was bummed out because a girl you like didn't reply to you on Aim you'll love this
>>
>>63331001

far superior album
>>
>>63334656
This 2bh
>>
>>63335580
This is the worst opinion on 4chan at this moment, congratulations.
>>
>>63337893
It's the southeast. Then again, Hillary did top trump today in the polls.
>>
>>63335580
nope
>>
>>63338027
>If you're a faggy middle schooler that was bummed out because a girl you like didn't reply to you on Aim you'll love this

But you're in middle school. Of course you're faggy. It brings you back to those days of high school and growing apart from those friends and that period in your life better than any other album.
>>
File: 1435078161309.jpg (23 KB, 240x251) Image search: [Google]
1435078161309.jpg
23 KB, 240x251
>>63338618
Jesus
>>
>>63338743
Nice meme post.
>>
>>63338781
Are you gonna cry about that too
>>
>>63330153
WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH SHE WONT FUCK MEEEEEEEE
>>
>>63338809
This is not a drake album Nigga.
>>
>>63335426
This Town Needs Guns
Algernon Cadwallader
Snowing
Cap'n Jazz

>>63330153
it's a perfect exemplification of Midwestern emo and a great introduction to mathrock
>>63334656 explains it pretty well
>>
>>63330153
Did not grow up in the US + I have never been in love. I still like it. Simply because the music is beatiful. I am not much if a lyrics-centric listener anyway
>>
Anyone else notice how each songs last lyric is the song title?
>>
>>>/emoe/

theres a containment thread for people with sich shit taste
>>
>>63334656
>the last couple minutes of Honestly
Feels like if I close my eyes I can float away and disappear
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (5 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
5 KB, 480x360
Everyone knows this is the superior housecore album
>>
File: 51F1QWjVjYL._SY300_[1].jpg (23 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
51F1QWjVjYL._SY300_[1].jpg
23 KB, 300x300
>>63330153
ep is better.
>>
You just have to make peace with the feelings you get while listening to it.

It should tear you apart on the first listen.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.