[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/trv/ crossboarding - France edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: FranceFlag_svg.png (42 KB, 488x500) Image search: [Google]
FranceFlag_svg.png
42 KB, 488x500
Alright grenouilles, I'm going to be visiting France for the next couple weeks and I'd like to do some music tourism (?) like checking out record stores, going to concerts, etc.

Cities I'll visit: Paris - Strasbourg - Montpellier and possibly Lyon.

I'm fluent in frogtongue but mostly clueless about the French scene in general.

I'll miss AnCo at La Cigale by 3 days which is kind of a bummer [spoiler]just fuck my shit straight up famalam[/spoiler]
>>
Listen to Stereolab
>>
>>63305956
that's not very helpful pierre
>>
I live near Lyon ayyyy
but these not many good music bands in France these days unfortunatly
>>
>>63305936
Zeuhl. Fucking Zeuhl man. Also some french rap is alright.
>>
>>63305936
Basically, french music scene steals other countries music from 3/4 years before adds "something" and calls it its own...

I don't really like french music desu.

What is worth something is french rap of the 00s and there was a good dub scene in Lyon between 2005-2012
>>
>>63306021
i'm not even french
>>
The only original french music nowadays is New Retro Wave
Carpenter Brut, Perturbator, Dan Terminus, Kavinsky etc.
French music overall is just worse england imo. Like one of our most popular bands from the 80's, Indochine, is basically just bootleg Depeche Mode.
>>
>>63305936
zeuhl, black metal, synthwave
Also didier lockwood is alright
>>
>>63306400
you forget woodkid
in french rap, i recommend you kaaris, booba, oxmo, orelsan ;^)
>>
>>63306114
i'm not asking for music recs mayne

i just want to go to some cool places while i'm there cause there aren't many active venues or cool record shops in my city.

>>63306091
cool. i'm not sure if im going there but i do have some friends who could lend me a couch
is it nice?

>>63306320
>>63306400
well i wasn't planning on doing any time traveling but thanks
>>
>>63306427
Yeah actually french BM is legitimately great, I take that back. The scene is still very active.
>>
Frog here, French music is bad apart from our hip hop and metal scenes as others have already said but I'm not into either so I can't help you.
>>
>>63305936
Francoise Hardy, listen to her, no gigs tho
>>
>>63306476
quiet nice yeah, the region is pretty as well
>>
>>63306400
> Like one of our most popular bands from the 80's, Indochine, is basically just bootleg Depeche Mode.

Yeah, like I said in >>63306320, we just borrow stuff from abroad : look at Johnny or Claude François.

Only thing we have is "chanson française", and the guys doing some electro from Paris whom I find not really interesting musically.
>>
>>63305936
Frog here, check out Le Rockstore for Montpellier, never been but it's a cool indie place, don't know if the music is any good though.
>>
Who is going to the AnCo concert at La Cigale ?
>>
>>63306668
I am. Why?
>>
>>63306552
so you live there and basically know nothing about the scene, don't go to concerts, support artists or shop for music?
that's exactly the kind of reply i was hoping not to see.

>>63306566
got any other 50 year old ultra-popular music recs for me anon? no? great.

>>63306645
cool. i'll check it out

>>63306668
can you make a separate thread for this? i'm pretty bummed out that i'm gonna miss it
>>
Check out Crocodisc in Paris, maybe a bit expensive but they have god tier records and a really good Krautrock collection, also the seller is really opened.
>>
>>63306645
are you from montpellier by chance? i'm going there to visit a friend but i know nothing of the city.

>>63306718
cool, i don't actually collect vinyl or anything but that's mostly because it's overpriced and rare where i live so i might buy some pieces if i can afford to
>>
>>63306703
Would you force yourself to go see a metal concert to "support local artists" if you didn't like metal ?

I find that pretty weird desu
>>
>>63306774
No sorry, from around but currently studying abroad...
>>
>>63306803
not really but i wouldn't crash some thread and drop a shitty off-topic reply just cause there's a flag of my country in the OP either

con

protip: don't lose hope on your local music scene. if you look into it you'll find nice music and people to relate with
>>
>>63306906
Thanks for those cool tips on life senpai ;)
>>
>>63307009
nothing personnel my man
i just wanted to be smartass and drop the word "con"
>>
>>63305936
excellent jazz and funk scenes if you're into that
>>
>>63307162
fill me in on sick groovy frog jazz
what are the places to go?

>>63306427
>>63306552
>>63306427
i'm cool with metal/hip hop/zeuhl just don't forget to namesdrop hip places and cool bands
>>
>>63306906
i hope u get bullied by arabs
>>
>>63307344
das racist man i know some cool arab frenchies
>>
>>63307271
in Paris, Baiser salé, Duc des Lombars or Sunset Sunside are the places to go. Duc des Lombards is more expensive, but offers more international players. check out the lineup of Banlieues bleues, the shows are in the suburbs but quite cheap. grab a ticket for the opening on march 18th if you can, shit's gonna be good
or, if you like funk more, there's a mythic band from the 90s caleed Malka family that started making shows again and are preparing a new album. I've been to one of the shows already and it was fucking heavy, they play on march 18th for free in a town called Antony near Paris, I'll be there for sure
>>
>>63307392
>march 18th
i arrive to paris on the 21st.
i'll check out that band and the venues you mentioned
>>
>>63307515
ok, too bad for you then :^)
enjoy your stay though
oh, and I forgot New Morning as one of the venues to check out
and as for funk jams, there are often some at bars called L'abracadabar and La casserole
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.