[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I hate Death Grips. I immediately lose respect for anyone who
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: crazyride.jpg (257 KB, 658x439) Image search: [Google]
crazyride.jpg
257 KB, 658x439
I hate Death Grips. I immediately lose respect for anyone who listens to them, and especially those who praise them. Here's why:

Name 20 successful people that listen to them. Pop basically runs the show when it comes to music. This includes artists like Kanye West, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Justin Bieber, Zayn Malik, Adele, Katy Perry, Beyonce et al. Pop has artists making significant contributions to the entire music industry.

Death Grips on the other hand pulls most of the heavy weight packaging from teenage angst with each album. They then lay basic synths and a joke of a rapper over it. It generally lags behind pop by a mile or two in inventiveness. I never hear their music in shops or mentioned by anyone over the age of 25.

So tell me again, how exactly do Death Grips innovate? They even struggle to release a new theme with each release, and artwork is about the only original thing with Death Grips.

Yes, Death Grips is stable because they are standing on the shoulders of socially awkward teenagers. Most of the hard work is hashed out before they ever start making "music". This is fine, and what music is all about, but I prefer to be in with the leaders rather than the followers.

What really irks me and what has really brewed my hatred are Death Grips fans. They seem to think Death Grips is responsible for all that is good in the music world. I have just proven how false this is. In my experience, Death Grips fans (virgins, teenagers, and manchildren) are much less helpful than the alternative.

If you want nice pop, listen to Bruno Mars or Taylor Swift. If you like rock, Tame Impala. If you prefer, Drake or Kendrick Lamar. But please, don't feed the idiot magnet that is Death Grips!
>>
File: 1457905584478.jpg (117 KB, 633x426) Image search: [Google]
1457905584478.jpg
117 KB, 633x426
>>63299779
>>
File: 1457919517132.jpg (32 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1457919517132.jpg
32 KB, 720x720
>>63299779
>>
File: 1457921747766.png (430 KB, 949x718) Image search: [Google]
1457921747766.png
430 KB, 949x718
>>63299779
>>
>>63299779
it's obvious but knowing that someone will take it, i have to call out a bait.
>>
God, I'm not falling for this, but some of these points are just to absurd to not point out.

Losing respect for someone simply because they listen to different noise than you is absolutely insane.

I'm not gonna list out 20 artists that listen to them because I got better shit to do, but Tyler, The Creator is pretty fucking successful and he likes them.

If it was just basic synths with a bad rapper, they wouldn't have this kind of a following. Listen to Hot Head. It's pretty experimental, so inventiveness is a pretty big thing for them.

Funny enough, I was in a store in Toronto with a friend of mine and his uncle over 25 (not sure, but definitely over 30) and they were playing Death Grips.

Death Grips innovate with their "beats" (horrible term, I know) and their lyrics. Read some of their lyrics and tell me how they aren't new, how it's something recycled from something else.

Notice how I don't mention the fanbase. Socially awkward teenagers is right, horrible fanbase that they admitted is bad. But that shouldn't affect the music, unless you are some pretentious asshole.

>virgins, teenagers, and manchildren
I know this is an obvious troll, but you really had to put virgin there, as if it matters if someone has sex for them to be "helpful"?
>>
>>63300092
When I say respectable, I mean people who are objectively good, not subjective like Tyler whose main audience is edgy teenagers. Seriously Tyler's lyrics are bad.

It is perfectly fine to lose respect for someone if they listen to the absolute dogshit that is Death Grips. I have more respect for those who listen to sine waves.

Hot Head is low effort. BLOW BLOW BLOW HOT HEAD. That's not inventive, a 3 year old can come up with that.

Your friend and his uncle are an anecdote. Generally speaking most over 25 don't listen to them.

As for mentioning virgins, well, if you're above the age of 25-30 and still a virgin, your life must be pretty terrible or you're doing something wrong
>>
>>63299779
Are Bjork and David Bowie successful? They like them. I don't know if I'd call Fred Armisen or Eric Andre or Robert Pattinson successful but they also like them.
>>
>>63300167
I fucking hate myself for falling for this shit.

You asked for successful people that listen to them, not objectively good people.

If your respect is established by noise, your respect doesn't really mean much.

Just because it's low effort doesn't mean it isn't inventive. The song structure in inventive, for starters. I could go in if you want me to, but I see no point.

Most over 25 don't listen to them. This is because most over 25 don't necessarily look for experimental hip-hop. Not because it's bd, because they don't know where to find it or don't like hip hop in general, because MUSIC IS SUBJECTIVE.

I personally don't find sex that amazing, really overrated. If someone chooses not to have sex, that's fine, doesn't mean their life is terrible or they are doing something wrong. Maybe they can't have sex because of their area, their looks and a lot of other things. There are a lot of factors that go into people's lives so sex isn't something readily available for all people above and below 25.
>>
>>63300092
>>63300305
holy shit you know it's bait too
>>
>>63300318
I came here for music discussion, and I'm having a discussion about music. Sure it's bait but it's still a conversation nonetheless.
>>
>>63300305
>MUSIC IS SUBJECTIVE
Stop saying this like it means anything you fuck
>>
>>63300372
Vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion is based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.
>>
>>63300404
kill yourself autismo
>>
File: GetArrested.png (11 KB, 866x158) Image search: [Google]
GetArrested.png
11 KB, 866x158
>>63300430
>>
>>63300490
Shiiiiieeeeeeeeeet
>>
>>63300363
ehh I guess
pretty sure the dude is gone now though
>>
>>63300305
Music is not just "noise", it's a medium, an art form. Death Grips just takes a big steaming dump over it. I like genuinely experimental stuff like AnCo or Flying Lotus. Death Grips is just disorganized trash. I lose respect for anyone who listens to this childish bullshit.

Please elaborate on how Hot Head is a good song

Ok about those over 25, do you think any self-respecting man would continue to listen to them over this age? Picture yourself with a nice wife and good kids, would you not feel ashamed to listen to the immature and edgy Death Grips? What would your family say?

As for sex, I guess you're right on that one
>>
>>63300622
yeah just let the thread prune
>>
>>63300713
>Ok about those over 25, do you think any self-respecting man would continue to listen to them over this age? Picture yourself with a nice wife and good kids, would you not feel ashamed to listen to the immature and edgy Death Grips? What would your family say?
See
>>63300235
I guess we'd just have to assume their families hate them for listening to death grips. that may be true for Eric Andre actually though
>>
>>63300755
I'm talking about your average Joe
>>
>>63300772
Yeah sure those too
>>
>>63300826
your average Joe isn't Bjork or Bowie
>>
>>63300713
I used noise as a general term. Death Grips is art, and I don't mind if you give me shit for that. Disorganized? Maybe, but that doesn't mean it can't be good art.

>Please elaborate on how Hot Head is a good song
Now you are just asking for a shitstorm.
The nice mildly distorted buzzsaw synth build up intro is very pleasing to an experimental listener. The drums after the intro are amazing, great work by Zach Hill. along with the nice random MC Ride edited sound clips. The "dump" of BLUB BLUB HOT HEAD is nice mildly, but then after that the shouts for the intensity are fantastic. If you haven't already realized, Death Grips work have a lot of drug related themes, so for the rest of the song any kind of buzzing synth or something like that is reminiscent of a DMT breakthrough. The arpegiating synth sounds great throughout the song, really nice notes being arpegiated, surprised they found them. The way Death Grips, and specifically MC Ride going through talking and screaming is reminiscent of the Pixies quiet loud quiet formula. The multiple buzzing sounds are great examples of breakthrough sounds like I said before, and they always lead up to a large outburst of insanity and hecticness. The "beat" plays out until they switch it back to the synth and they do this multiple times. The keypoint of the song for me are the drums and synths, how well they go together. The ending is rather splendid as well, my favorite part of the song. Ofc, you may not see this, since music is open to interpretation.

I can't say I know this, but I would not think I'd be ashamed for listening to Death Grips with children, because it's my music taste. As long as I'm not telling my kids I'm "noided" or that I have the fever (aye aye) when I really don't, it shouldn't be much of a family problem.

>>63300847
There are successful average joe's above 25 that listen to Death Grips. I can't find an example for an average joe but all I can say is trust me, they are out there.
>>
>>63300772
fuck the average joe, they're not respectable people either
>>
>>63301081
ok fair enough, good explanation of why Hot Head is interesting btw, I'm impressed
>>
>>63301108
shut the fuck up, you're just happy somebody indulged you
>>
>>63301108
I mean it is a music discussion board right?
>>
>>63301129
no, he bit the bait and made a statement, i had to put a effort in my replies and discuss music, he wrapped it all up with a great dissection of the song I kept calling crap. Pretty good tripfriend.

>>63301140
yeah, it feels good to ditch the shitposts for a while
>>
>>63299779
fuck you *glass breaks
>>
>>63300305
>>63300363
>>63300404
>>63301081
>>63301140
>>63300092

I love you, man. Great read/10
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.