[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/dead/ General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: Grateful_Dead_-_Skull_Fuck.jpg (164 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Grateful_Dead_-_Skull_Fuck.jpg
164 KB, 300x300
Any Dead fans here, /mu/?
Favorite album?
Favorite show?
Favorite song?
Are you hyped for the 5 and a half hour Dead tribute album spearheaded by The National coming out soon?

BONUS: Have you heard Garcia's first solo album? It's god-tier.
>>
>Favorite album?
Europe '72
>Favorite show?
9/3/1977
>Favorite song?
Eyes of the World
>Have you heard Garcia's first solo album? It's god-tier.
Yeah it's really good.
>>
>Favourite album
Workingman's dead or Anthem

Favourite show
Currently 10-12-68 (Fillmore)

Favorite song
Jack Straw probably

Mega linky with show, anthem and 2 random songs

https://mega.nz/#F!dEshDQqS
>>
Ooooooo stoned noodling country music.

Sooooo psychedelic.
>>
>>63292227
And live/dead, which is similar to the Charlie Miller mastered show in there, but is a partly studio dubbed and mixed album from different shows.
>Scaruffi rated 8/10
>Anthem For The Sun (1968), Aoxomoxoa (1969) and Live Dead (1970), are mere approximations of their art. At the same time, though, their free-form jams were born out of a philosophy that was still profoundly American. They were born at the border between the individualistic and libertarian culture of the Frontier and the communal and spiritual culture of the quakers. Despite being ostracized by the Establishment, the Grateful Dead expressed, better than any other musician of that age, the quintessence of the American nation, and perhaps that was precisely the reason that their music resonated so well with the soul of the American youth
>>
File: grateful dead discography.jpg (587 KB, 1109x1502) Image search: [Google]
grateful dead discography.jpg
587 KB, 1109x1502
>>
That Weather Report Suite live performance on YouTube is great
>>
File: 1456426397242.png (1 MB, 618x640) Image search: [Google]
1456426397242.png
1 MB, 618x640
>>63292305
>AOXOMOXOA
>5/10
>>
File: 1456980395319.jpg (672 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1456980395319.jpg
672 KB, 800x800
>>63292280
>>
>>63292305
Their studio albums definitely aren't the best representation of their work. I think Wake of the Flood is an underwhelming album at best but the songs on there were amazing live. Europe '72 is probably the depiction of what they were capable of as far as Grateful Dead albums go, and I also think it's where they peaked in terms of songwriting. I still don't see how you could rank Workingman's Dead and American Beauty so low though.
>>
Is Live/Dead the greatest live album of all time?
>>
File: Europe72_Cover.jpg (413 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Europe72_Cover.jpg
413 KB, 900x900
>>
>>63292283
Damn Scruffy
>>
>>63292305
What do you think of Garcia's first solo album?

>>63292346
It's a shame they stopped doing all of it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_xvNtTn62I
>>
>>63292944
yes
>>
Favorite album?
live/dead 2 good

Favorite show?
veneta oregon 72

Favorite song?
Jack Straw/Althea

Have you heard Garcia's first solo album? It's god-tier.
yes its solid, like cats under the stars more tho
>>
>>63295491
>yes its solid, like cats under the stars more tho
Why is that?
>>
>>63295507
mainly rubin and cherise
>>
>>63295546
But To Lay Me Down though.
>>
>>63295624
fan of live JGB?
>>
>>63292944
Live/Dead, At Fillmore East, and Waiting for Columbus are my top 3, at least for rock, its hard for me to pick a favorite but I would lean in the direction of Live/Dead most days.
>>
>>63291441
can someone explain to me what kind of music the grateful dead plays? classify it? all i've seen websites refer to it as is "rock" or "psychedelic" but i don't really feel like it is either of those. also i'm not a fan of their music, just curious.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
26 KB, 480x360
Post one of your songs and then we say what rating Fantano or Pitchfork or something would give it.
>>
>>63296155
FUCK. I meant to make a new thread. sorry guys.
>>
yo that grateful doe guy was identified
>>
>>63296130
They were a rock band that was initially connected to the bay area psychedelic scene, mostly through their status as the house band for Kesey's acid tests. But they had much more roots & americana influence than any other band in that scene and eventually outgrew it and came into their own distinct style informed by bluegrass and jazz and ultimately resembling a rootsy, improvisational sort of adult contemporary. Its key to understand though that long after they stopped being a bay area psych band they retained a following that consumed a lot of acid, and to support that atmosphere they had to be danceable so even as they got compositionally looser, with the songs stretching and morphing, they remained rhythmically tight to almost to the point the drums occasionally trampled on the other instruments during the jams. There's a lot of factors that put together make them one of those bands where nobody else sounds remotely similar to them so I get what you're saying but if you're going to classify them in context they're certainly a rock band, and they had a culture that was definitely psychedelic even after their music ceased to be psychedelic per se
>>
>>63295645
Only the 70s stuff really.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.