[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think I've accurately dissected the groups on /mu/:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: damo suzuki.jpg (117 KB, 620x469) Image search: [Google]
damo suzuki.jpg
117 KB, 620x469
I think I've accurately dissected the groups on /mu/:

>Pedestrian
>Not at all aware of music below surface level; does not care about music beyond it being background noise for partying
>Favorites: Whatever is Top 40 right now and a few classics

>Dadrocker
>Believe that music hasn't been good since Kurt Cobain died. High levels of rockism.
>Favorites: Pink Floyd, ACDC, Jimi Hendrix, Black Sabbath

>Poptimist
>Like the dadrocker, but with music released after 2000. Does not stick to a particular genre.
>Fear looking pretentious; only listen to whatever P4K and TND feed them
>Favorites: Grimes, Kendrick Lamar, Chvrches

>"I want to fit in on /mu/"-core
>Listens to whatever is on the essential /mu/core charts and believes it's good without question. Will get very upset if someone calls it bad.
>Favorites: Have a Nice Life, GY!BE, Radiohead, King Crimson, Slint

>Avant-Teen/Mallgoth/Poseurcore
>Pretends to like strange and experimental music because it's "deep and esoteric" without actually having the technical or historical knowledge to understand why it's significant
>Most of their taste comes from Chart threads, The Wire, and Brainwashed.com
>Favorites: Coil, Gerogerigegege, Merzbow, Sun Ra, This Heat

>Fake Patrician
>Someone who claims to love music that is regarded as amazing without really getting what made it interesting due to having zero music theory knowledge.
>Favorites: Coltrane, Wegner, Bach, Ellington

>True Patrician
>It's a secret. They will contact you when you are here.

Thoughts?
>>
who are you quoting
>>
Why Damo Suzuki?
>>
tl;dr pretty sure i'm patrish
>>
my thought is that this thread didn't really need repeating
>>
You should change this to

>True Patrician
>too busy playing and learning about music to argue with anonymous strangers on the internet about Kanye West
>>
>>63289248
20th thread today saying that you cant be a "true" music listener without knowing music theory

We get it, you wasted 80k on a shitty college course and wanna feel like it was worth something
>>
File: IMG_2265.jpg (2 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2265.jpg
2 MB, 1936x2592
So, Can thread?
>>
>>63289273
This, OP why are you so bored
>>
>you can't enjoy music unless you know music theory
this is the shittiest meme
>>
>>63289248
The true patrician is the one who makes the list
>>
File: damo.jpg (25 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
damo.jpg
25 KB, 350x350
>>63289317

>I play water and sandbag

What did he mean by that?
>>
this shit thread again?
>>
Where do I fit in if I am educated on musical history and theory, but don't care about the experimental aspect of music, nor whatever is on /mu/ most of the time?
>>
what if i don't fit into any of these
>>
File: 91K1feCjgLL._SL1500_[1].jpg (546 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
91K1feCjgLL._SL1500_[1].jpg
546 KB, 1500x1500
>>63289302
or patricians just avoid threads about shitty pop music like Kanye

also it's funny that you think us patricians don't enjoy discussing music
>>
>>63289248
>no one on /mu/ actually likes music

well shit i coulda told you that
>>
sounds correct
>>
real patricians wouldnt come to /mu/

were all plebs
>>
You shouldn't have mixed Avant-Teen with Poseur-core.
I'm Avant-Teen and my favorites are Feldman, Stockhausen, Evan Parker and Taj Mahal Travellers.
>>
>>63289952
>Stockhausen
that's poseur-core
>>
>>63289317
Uhh he has a flared, broken rib just like me.

That's cool
>>
>>63290034
no he's right, Stockhausen is avant-teen because they can just memorize a bunch of talking points about total serialism and computer music to defend themselves while poseur-core is just much more plain and has nothing significant beyond being "wierd" which is why Sun Ra is poseur-core (no one who knows anything actually likes him) but Stockhausen is avant-teen (avant-garde but only in the context that teenagers lack)
>>
>>63290530
>no one who knows anything actually likes him
pretty sure Sun Ra is critically acclaimed
>>
>>63290530
>memorize talking points

/mu/'s hatred of perceived avant-teens knows no bounds. there are definitely people who actually have historical background knowledge on these artists from, you know, reading up on them and developing that knowledge. sure, it's not the majority, but it's unfair to label anyone who likes those artists some kind of poseur to the point that even those who know what they're talking about are just accused of feigning knowledge
>>
>>63290530
interestingly enough, two members of can were stockhausen's pupils. well then.
>>
>true patrician

Kek
>>
>>63290827
he's actually literally not
>>63290922
>unfair to label anyone who likes those artists some kind of poseur
the label has nothing to do with people to happen to like those artists, it's a reflection of people who like nothing but those artists. i can assure you that anyone with the knowledge who's done the research to understand why Stockhausen was a brilliant artist also has a deep understanding of Bach, Handel, Beethoven, Mozart and Schoenberg, because Stockhausen's work makes literally no sense outside of the western tradition
>>
File: 5x5 artists.jpg (445 KB, 1250x1250) Image search: [Google]
5x5 artists.jpg
445 KB, 1250x1250
This list is shit.

Where would I even fit in?
>>
>>63292514
>nothing but /mu/-approved indie rock and hip-hop
you're what we call "I want to fit in on /mu/"-core
>>
>>63292810
Problem is most of that isn't /mu/core.

DIIV, Foals, Bush, Airbag, Pond, The War on Drugs, and Lowlife I wouldn't consider /mu/core.
>>
The only way to truly become a patrician is in volume. Sure you can take recs from people and threads but you will be a part of them and a combination of many other people, a listener of their environment.

A true patritain must discover music on their own, finding the greatest and worst albums through research, physical media, and things thought to be lost in the sands of time. If you keep listening to stuff you will eventually find some of these, if you know what to look for.
>>
>>63293205
yikes dude

>>63294359
also yeah this, becoming a true patrician takes a lot of time and effort, it's about using every resource available and learning.

That being said I really enjoy coil and this heat so perhaps my opinion is meaingless
>>
i don't fit into any of these things and i am taking it to mean i am a patrician
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.