[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I used to hate this guy for no reason other than his appearance.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 1
I used to hate this guy for no reason other than his appearance. I listened to Pom Pom and loved it. It's like a send-up of all the music of the past but it's simultaneously brilliant in its own right.

Then I read and watch interviews with the guy and find out he's a pretty cool guy. Eh, calls Grimes "Stupid and Retarded" and doesn't afraid of anything

Can we have some more love for Ariel Pink?
>>
he's probably gonna make a new album this year so thats pretty cool
>>
>>63253196
theres been a lot of activity on his facebook in the past 2 weeks when befpre there was nothing since pom pom really which I think is a good sign
>>
>>63253174
Is it just me or does he look like Grimes if she didn't shave? LMAO
>>
>>63254823
have you ever seen ariel pink and grimes in the same place?

think about it...
>>
>>63253174
glad you came around. Ariel is a genius. super stoked for anything new this year
>>
I love him too. late 2014, early 2015 I listened to Pom Pom daily. Start working your way back with his earlier music, The Haunted Graffiti stuff is good too.
>>
It sounds like children's music to me. I have no idea how you people listen to this sort of shit.

When I see Lightning Bolt tonight I will spare a thought for the pitiful people who think Ariel Pink is actual fucking music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGjG7GQP6Ks
>>
POM POM was meh had potential
house arrest still his best. hope he gets shit together on this release instead of 2-3 good songs and filler
>>
>>63253174
I've seen his amoeba vid and he sounds pretty intelligent and overall enjoyable, his appearance is off putting
>>
>>63253174
I wonder what he smells like?
>>
>>63254851
a tip of the fedora to you my friend, you are correct
>>
>>63254851
>Lightning Bolt
no idea what people see in this band
>>
>>63253174
One of the most mediocre musicians this generation
>>
>>63254994
he thinks its complex probably
>>
Listened. Its shit. Never looking back.
>>
I really enjoyed Pom Pom and haven't delved into his past stuff yet. BUT: Haunted Graffiti's cover of "Baby" is one of my favorite songs.
>>
>>63254994
well let me put it this way

everybody likes noise. if you took away the noise component entirely from music, you would just be left with pure tones and that's not very interesting. for example when Ariel strums his guitar, a lot of what you're hearing that characterizes the guitar sound we love is not the tone itself but the noisy elements that distinguish it from other instruments.

people who claim to not get noise bands like Lightning Bolt or Merzbow or Sunn0))) just haven't learned to appreciate that element as much as they should have

i had the same problem when I was less experienced
>>
overrated guy. I enjoy his interviews and antics
but for every good song he makes. he shits out another painful song that makes 3mins seem like 10 mins.
seeing him live is garbage also. came on piss drunk in his high heels and kept falling. asian bass player is really good. needs a reality check that will probably never come. he would benefit from a kanye moment where somebody close to him dies and he makes a serious album
>>
>>63255046
why on earth would you think that?

do these people look like they're appreciating the complexity of the band??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7BDZ7KyNRE
>>
>>63255190
GTFO with fucking Lighting Bolt, has nothing to do with Ariel Pink.
>>
>>63254851
if you think ariel pink isn't good music you are definitely musically retarded
>>
>>63255230
GTFO with Ariel Pink, has nothing to do with real /mu/sic
>>
>>63255324
he's average music and im a huge ariel pink
>>
>>63255324
I can't think of a single artist doing anything remotely similar to Pink who isn't 10x better
>>
>>63255100
Take away the condescending parts and you almost have a good argument. Elements of noise but so are those tones. Noise music takes away half the fun. That being said music that can incorporate elements of harder noise is some of my favorite.
>>
>>63255349
before I destroy you and prove you wrong. Please indicate what ariel is doing that's so great and different than everybody else
>>
>>63255400
Yeah I don't listen to much pure noise either, I feel you.

Have you heard Six Organs of Admittance? It's a really lovely mix of gorgeous songwriting but with elements of noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtO8SoFpPPg
>>
>>63255414
Anachronistic (actually just derivative) pop music
>>
>>63255414
>before I destroy you and prove you wrong. Please indicate what ariel is doing that's so great and different than everybody else
You completely misunderstood me.

What I'm saying is "every artist that is doing things similarly to Ariel, even remotely similar, is much better".

I don't think he's unique at all. I think not only is he not unique, but most other artists in his general area are better.
>>
>>63255471
which artist's are those you speak of? I would like to have the superior version of his sound.
>>
>>63255485
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBzrzS1Ag_g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEtDVy55shI
>>
>>63255485
Foxygen instantly comes to mind.
>>
>>63255567
oh fuck you, posting fucking Tame Impala. Nothing like Ariel Pink. last time i listen to some faggot from mu
>>
>>63255593
Currents is 80s nostalgia pop just like Pink

Can you quantify the differences in a substantive manner?
>>
>>63255628
Ariel Pink is more offbeat, unhinged and warped.

Tame Impala is boring and clean, FUCK THAT MUSIC.
>>
>>63254994
>>63255100
people like lightning bolt because they take drugs. it's rave music for rock minded hipsters.
>>
>>63255714
You make it sound like he's Beefheart or Jonathan Richmond or something.

Do you Pinkfags at least revere the Modern Lovers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_exvKnrK6g
>>
>>63255719
If you take drugs, you probably take them to enhance whatever your music of choice is, be it Ariel Pink or Lightning Bolt.

Usually "you need drugs to enjoy it" is associated with stuff like Grateful Dead or Bob Dylan or come to think of it, Ariel Pink
>>
>>63255743
I'm not at all, I'm just saying how it is. I didn't say he was avant-garde complex or anything. He just adds enough zaniness to actually make it interesting to listen to, unlike fucking Tame Impala.
>>
>>63255769
yeah I was just generalizing. It's interesting to me though cause really they are just doing dance music and I'm sure some of their fans would dislike EDM
>>
>>63255790
you just hate tame impala because they're are mainstream. I've met ariel pink after a show and he loved currents
pls stop it. ariel is a really great guy who will tell you in a heartbeat kevin parker is more talented then him.
>>
>>63255819
>really they are just doing dance music
It's an oversimplification. I see why you would say it but, if you enjoy them for their tonality you probably wouldn't enjoy EDM. If you enjoy them for the way they use momentum over the course of longer musical movements, you should appreciate EDM.
>>
>>63255790
>He just adds enough zaniness to actually make it interesting to listen to
I knew when I asked for a substantive comparison, I was setting myself up for disappointment.
>>
>>63255886
i dont' care what that faggot likes himself, i just listen his music, fuck his opinions. And really I hate tame impala because of Kevin's vocals and lyrics. i'll take a shitty half ass vocals over that whiny shit.
>>
>>63255960
okay so you don't appreciate music. it's an image thing for you
please stop posting
>>
Am I the only one who thinks he looks like Kurt Cobain
>>
>>63253174
Before Today and Mature Themes are absolute must listens
>>
>>63255897
>for their tonality
not sure what you mean exactly in this context. are you referring to their timbre?

it's obviously different but it's basically the same. in a more abstract way you could say they are doing dub music but I didn't wanna say things I'd have to explain to people who don't know shit about anything. just fuck off .honey.
>>
>>63255974
how are his vocals and lyrics not part of the music?

for me, it ruins whatever is going on instrumentally (which is boring itself but inoffensive to my taste overall)
>>
>>63256016
I just mean the particular types of tones associated with loud amplified bass guitar and acoustic drumset.

You're weirdly ready to get upset with me.
>>
>>63255974
how are the vocals and lyrics not part of the music?

for me, it ruins whatever is going on instrumentally (which is boring itself but overall inoffensive to my taste)

delete this again faggot mod
>>
>>63254851
Hella is better
>>
>>63256021
using words like boring is great indicator you don't know much about music. I get it you dislike kevin parker it's a personal reason within yourself. just quit and just post your fav ariel pink songs.
>>
>Ariel Pink thread
>People throwing shit over Lightning Bolt and Tame Impala

Am I in bizarro /mu/? I can vaguely get the similarities but they're barely overlapping.
>>
>>63256104
I love Hella as well, but it would never occur to me to compare them. Hella is much more still and meditative, like Don Caballero or something.
>>
>>63256132
I would think "boring" is legitimate criticism.
>>
>>63256145
Nobody is claiming there is ANY overlap between Lightning Bolt and Ariel Pink.
>>
>>63256132
but its the right word to use to describe tame impala

and i don't know anything about Kevin Parker other than i don't like his vocals and lyrics.

so suck my dick
>>
>>63255886
>ariel is a really great guy who will tell you in a heartbeat kevin parker is more talented then him.

And he'd be wrong, because Ariel is a far more talented player and composer than Parker. This isn't out of Tame Impala hate, I think they're alright, but all of the shit he's put out since 2004 kind of eclipses them.
>>
>>63256093
that's the timbre. you ever wonder why a guitar sounds different than a piano or my ass? You can play the same pitch on different shit and it sounds different, same pitch though. a fundamental frequency vibrates and then theres a series of overtones that vibrate above that, and it's the combinations of overtones that make it sound different. That's what the timbre is. TIMBRE.

never got into lightning bolt till their last album.

>>63256180
actually that's not strictly true, because you are responding to the accusation and a warrant is only needed when an action has been executed.

I'm high on meth btw so take a grain. just really kidding though cause you get no latitude and I'm a sober attitude.
>>
>>63256180
Then why even bring them up?

>I can't believe people listen to this psychedelic pop act, they should listen to this noise rock act instead!

Like what is the point of that, it's pretty distinct sounds you can enjoy for different reasons.
>>
>>63256185
>and i don't know anything about Kevin Parker other than i don't like his vocals and lyrics.
That's fine but it's still a legitimate comparison to Ariel Pink because they both have similar approaches to songwriting and execution, and not only that but they mine the same fucking throwback nostalgia genres to do it.
>>
>>63256162
you don't know shit about music. i have no idea why you trip besides embarrassing your neet ass over lauren

>>63256185
thank you for proving my point :)

>>63256206
I'll trust the opinion of the artist themselves then some anon on 4chan
feel free to post ur fav ariel songs you unintelligent buffoons
>>
>>63256248
To be fair until Currents TI was a lot more mired in 60s pop while Haunted Graffiti was more oriented toward the 70s and 80s. I understand what you mean, though Ariel ultimately seems a lot more variable in the shit he's reviving.
>>
>>63256264
>I'll trust the opinion of the artist themselves then some anon on 4chan
There is no "trusting" someone's opinion in this case because everybody is going to have their own reaction to a given song/band.

It sounds like you think there's an objective rubrick and some people know what it is, and others don't.

For all you know Ariel Pink is half the anons in this thread. What would you do then?
>>
>>63256264
>I'll trust the opinion of the artist themselves then some anon on 4chan

And I'll believe that when I get actual evidence of him saying it instead of some anon on 4chan putting words in his mouth.

>feel free to post ur fav ariel songs you unintelligent buffoons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl6YsC1AD0Q

Early Birds is one of my favorites off of Mature Themes.
>>
>>63253174
New music when?
>>
>>63256354
>For all you know Ariel Pink is half the anons in this thread. What would you do then?

I genuinely hope this is the case, Ariel seems exactly like the kind of guy to post on /mu/. Not just shitpost but actually be one of the few to occasionally stop and discuss and rec shit.
>>
>>63256375
message him yourself on facebook
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa76c04G744

>>63256354
everything is arbitrary
>>
>>63256396
Last thing he did was a Miley Cyrus feature.

No joke.
>>
Whenever Pink fans defend him they always talk about his image, persona, personality. The closest they get to anything remotely musically related is his lyrics. And judging from the one kid who thinks TI is boring, they wouldn't know actual musical chops if it bit them in the ass.

I truly don't get it.
>>
Pom Pom is great, can't wait for the next album.
>>
>>63256411
>Make unsubstantiated claim
>Verify it yourself

This is not how it works.

Good choice, a lot of people think Worn Copy is too full of filler but I feel it's really underrated, its got a lot of gems in there.
>>
>>63256445
You are literally gleaning that from a single thread. This is the first Ariel Pink vs Tame Impala thread I've ever seen.

It seems Tame Impala fans though are really defensive, and always leaping to support their artist against any other psychedelic pop act. I've seen feuds with them against Olivia Tremor Control and Animal Collective too.

I truly don't get it.
>>
>>63256461
I concur you do ask yourself. because you said My claims aren't believable even tho I've met the man and don In person.

add r.stevie moore also he will tell you the same.
>>
>>63256491
It's because Tame Impala is mediocre and their fans can't accept that they don't have the greatest taste in music of all time. They're just a bunch of faggots you shouldn't waste time on them.
>>
>>63256491
Yeah I don't get that shit either, if you try to explain to TI fans that Morgan Delt is better they will get super defensive.
>>
>>63256375
forgot how much i loved that song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j09BsxRQdfg
>>
>>63256548
>if you have the wrong preference between these two artists you'e a hopeless faggot
It's all this cheerleading bullshit. Like Twilight fans dividing up into teams for which love interest they support.

Neither Tame Impala nor Ariel Pink is particularly good but for some reason both artists' fans act like they are some hotly disputed bordering states in a war-torn region that need to be defended for the honor of their ways of life.
>>
>>63256617
wow really nice simile you must be very well read, a big Stephen King fan perhaps?

:^)
>>
>>63256530
>because you said My claims aren't believable even tho I've met the man and don In person.

You need to provide evidence for that. I can easily say I've met Ariel Pink and he said he didn't like Kevin Parker. Unless you can present evidence otherwise, my claim is equally valid. That is how this works.
>>
>>63256681
But that would be dick of you to lie about that since it's not the sort of thing he's likely to be able to prove. Instead you should just say "well assuming that your claim is true, here's why your argument still fails"
>>
>>63256681
why are you scared of adding ariel ? He's a nice guy he doesn't bite :)
>>
>>63254851

Holy shit, cali pleb spotted
Did mommy just start giving you rides to the smell?
>>
>>63254851
>noisists actually believe this
>>
>>63254875
no one cares about the opinion of sweaty tryhard tripfags, and i dont even like the album
>>
>>63256769
The point is, you have no idea whether I'm lying or not, just as I have no idea if he's lying or not. The appeal to authority is already a fallacy, and to make one that is unverifiable is simply a waste of text.

>>63256773
Don't have a facebook, man.
>>
>LE SEW RETRO MUSIC XD

can this meme please end forever
>>
>>63253174
Not bad actually, just not something I would listen to.
>>
>>63256937
>Can people stop taking influences from the past?

Afraid not.
>>
>>63256937
Name a better contemporary pop band than Unknown Mortal Orchestra

Bonus points if there's nothing "retro" about them
>>
>>63257044
>Influences
>Sounds like it could have came out in the 60s

Thanks for confirming you're a retard.
>>
>>63257136
>Unknown Mortal Orchestra
Clarence Clarity
>>
>>63256153
>Hella is much more still and meditative, like Don Caballero
wow you are completely full of shit
>>
>>63257627
good argument bro
>>
>>63257690
he is tho, just take a quick listen to those 3 bands in question and you'll see that
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.