[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a no-name artist that has not released any music yet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 10
I'm a no-name artist that has not released any music yet and cannot play live. Should I just release my music on soundcloud/bandcamp and hope that people will listen to it? Or should I send out demos to record labels to see if they might want to promote/make physical copies? I think my music is good enough for that but I kind of just want to release stuff and get it over with. Is it worth waiting around in case I get a bite from a label? Or would it be better off just to release the stuff myself?
>>
>Should I drop my music in an ocean of noise where nobody is going to hear it or send it to someone who can promote my music?
Are you this retarded?
>>
>>63234095
I was hoping that I could believe in the power of internet sharing as word of mouth. I guess that's quite naive...
>>
File: 1457278358290.gif (360 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1457278358290.gif
360 KB, 480x480
>mfw sent my music to several labels, radio stations and music journalists
>none of them have responded yet

Never give up promoting, whatever path you choose
>>
File: 1454368937191.jpg (866 KB, 1017x1024) Image search: [Google]
1454368937191.jpg
866 KB, 1017x1024
>>63234171
>>63234095
>>63234062
There's a weird thing where a label won't pick you up unless there is already a certain amount of hype around your music, so before you do either of these things you should figure out how to promote it or find someone else to help you do that (basically, and agent). Learning how to social network effectively will help, but even that's got a glass ceiling. Because of the visibility of views/plays it's easy for most labels and publications to gauge your popularity off of these stats, so if you drop it and it doesn't blow up right away, and then you try to send it to people noone will take it seriously. There is a lot to consider...
>>
>>63234062
Do you post in the band camp and SoundCloud threads here?
>>
>>63234418
Yeah I get what you are saying and this is what I'm worried about. I just don't see how I'm meant to promote the music if I can't play live and no one knows who the fuck I am. It seems impossible if you don't have any contacts.

>>63234450
No. I haven't released anything yet.
>>
File: 1417547517104.gif (2 MB, 500x271) Image search: [Google]
1417547517104.gif
2 MB, 500x271
>>63234550
Have you considered sending your music to artists who have influenced you? It's not like you have anything to lose
>>
>>63234062
>Should I just release my music on soundcloud/bandcamp and hope that people will listen to it
No, of course not.
>I think my music is good enough
It isn't. Start playing live. Once you've done that, then you might be good enough.
>>
>>63234418
Idk i feel like it's not such a big deal if your self release gets traction soon after releasing it. If your music is good it will develope a following over time and labels will be interested regardless of when it was released as long as you're still making music. Just look at what happened to Car Seat Headrest. Although i say this as someone who hasn't released anything, i still recommend OP release it himself and start sharing it around to like-minded musicians within his community.
>>
>>63234737
What is wrong with putting your stuff on bandcamp/soundcloud? What would you do instead? And what makes you think your music needs to be replicated live for it to be good. I mean playing live definitely gets you more exposure but otherwise that's a pretty baseless opinion.
>>
>>63234870
>And what makes you think your music needs to be replicated live for it to be good
No you don't seem to understand. The process of playing live allows you to create a new set of quality control measure. It will also make you a better musician.

So the question is would you rather release the bullshit you just have lying around, or wait and get better at your craft before embarrassing yourself?
>>
What I always am amused by are these new generation of amateur millennial musicians who think that because they *can* put out something, they *should* put out something.

Recording yourself and distributing it online is so easy, why not, right? Better think twice. Ever wonder why so many music fans claim the "music isn't as good as it used to be"? Because in the past, it was more difficult to record and distribute music. Because of this, musicians really needed to hone their craft FIRST before they bothered to put the time and afford into releasing it. They essentially had to make sure what they were releasing was of quality... but not just by their own measure. Road testing material, making home demos, essentially having a high level of quality control.

Imagine a sea of people screaming--that is what the indie music industry is now. How can you be heard over all the other screams? How can you be better? Well if everyone else is literally upload whatever they farted out that week as their "new album!" then just work harder on your material and being a better musician before you fall to their level.

So remember: just because you recorded it, it doesn't need to be heard.
>>
Release it on bandcamp, then send it to DJs and influencers - independent ones that are likely to play it (lots of radio stations do shows where they take submissions from unknowns). If it's actually good and not too derivative, it will gain traction eventually. Just be persistant, and release an album/EP at a time; if you flood the internet with tons of shit it won't be as effective as if you release one solid, comprehensive album
>>
>>63234932
you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>63235137
I've been playing in bands for 20 years now.

How about you?
>>
>>63235011

People have been releasing bedroom recordings since the days of 8-track recorders. Tons of musicians who are now legends in their own right got their start that way. You clearly aren't a musician, or you'd know that people who are passionate of their craft and proud of their work are usually the harshest possible critics. If OP thinks it's ready to be released, he's the highest authority on that.

tl;dr - you know not of what you speak. STFU
>>
>>63235211
>Tons of musicians who are now legends in their own right got their start that way
Name them
>You clearly aren't a musician,
lol See >>63235166

Everything else you said was a non sequitur. Did you even read what you replied to?
>>
>>63235166
You can get better at your craft without performing live. You can also embarrass yourself performing live. Just because performing live worked for you doesn't mean it's a requirement to be a good musician.
>>
>>63235278
>You can get better at your craft without performing live
How?
>You can also embarrass yourself performing live.
Yet how you deal with trainwrecks will make you a better performer

Are you just a bedroom NEET musician or something? Are you afraid of performing live?
>>
>>63235011
What makes you think I haven't recorded a whole bunch of material without releasing it before posting this thread asking for advice?
>>
>>63235011
>>63235211
Both of you are right and both of you are wrong
>>
>>63235352
>What makes you think I haven't recorded a whole bunch of material without releasing it before posting this thread asking for advice?
People like that don't go to 4chan seeking advice of what to do with their music career

How many songs have you written?
>>
>>63235271
massives names in electronic music from the 90s: The Belleville Three, Aphex Twin, Autechre, A Guy Called Gerald

I read and understood every word of what you said. You just have a misinformed opinion is all
>>
>>63235405
>massives names in electronic music from the 90s: The Belleville Three, Aphex Twin, Autechre, A Guy Called Gerald
What you donb't know, is they sat on a massive pile of material you've never heard while they honed their craft.

I've been doing this longer than you've been alive. But I have a feeling you are going to continue being naive.
>>
>>63235459

So what? You literally have no idea how much music OP has made, how long he's been making it, or even what it sounds like. You're talking completely out of your ass and just making assumptions.
>>
>>63235547
>>63235372
>>
>>63235349
>how?
Are you seriously saying it's impossible to become a better musician if you don't perform live? It's a good thing Leviathan had all those live performances before he released some of the most praised usbm releases.

>>63235372
Seeing as you are asking me directly trying to call me out as some 'amateur millenial farting out whatever I produce' I've actually recorded about 6 albums worth of material. I've never played live but you think I haven't advanced as a musician since then?
>>
>>63235575

>People like that don't go to 4chan seeking advice of what to do with their music career

That's called making an assumption.
>>
soundcloud and bandcamp can give you some attention, but if you really want to get noticed you gotta get out there and play concerts, get connections and make a name for yourself.
>>
release it yourself. release it for free, and if enough people like it, make some physical copies and sell them to cover the costs of making them. if you learn to play live find some bars and nice cafes to play in and some small festivals in the summer.

fuck career musicians
>>
>>63235593
>Are you seriously saying...
Ooops you didn't answer the question. Try again?
>I've actually recorded about 6 albums worth of material.
No but how many songs have you recorded?
PRO-TIP: An "album" consisting of one long drone note with FL sequenced drums is not what I am asking.
>>63235606
...based on 20 years of talking to people like you (and him)
>>
now im kind of curious

what kind of music do you make op
>>
>>63235459
Post a link to some of your output. Im actually curious.
>>
>>63235703
>>63235691
>inb4 OP's material blows this guy the fuck out
>>
>>63235767
>inb4 no matter what I post you'll say OP blows it out of the water because of butthurt
Nice try btw.
>>
>>63235652
Exactly how did I not answer the question? I provided a completely valid example of a musician that has never performed his music live and yet has released some of the most praised black metal albums in music history.

>those 6 albums you made must have been just one long drone note with sequenced drums

Seriously go fuck yourself. You act like you've just seen it all and know it all. I don't have to prove anything to you about my musical output. I was just asking for advice on how to release my music now that I actually want to do it.
>>
>>63234062
Please read this Anon.
>>
File: B_5fyN9UMAA1GKk.jpg (35 KB, 592x592) Image search: [Google]
B_5fyN9UMAA1GKk.jpg
35 KB, 592x592
Why is a seasoned career musician shitposting on an imageboard dedicated to Malaysian noodlemaking
>>
>>63235914
>Seriously go fuck yourself
Wow, calm down. I must have called it, huh?

I'm sure your butt-drone is fantastic and your mom and your cat love it. Feel free to upload it to soundlcoud and get 10 plays from other NEETS. You don't have to take the advice from someone who has been making music longer than you've been alive, I don't really care.

Just answer why you are afraid to play live. That's all.
>>63235991
>If it's the advice I don't want to hear, then it's shitposting
lol
t want,
>>
>>63234687
not op but they're dead
>>
>>63234062
As someone that started posting on /mu/ a few years ago and has had majors reach out via email I can tell you its about word of mouth and hype. Just put out trash for now, I'm assuming that is what you are working with.. and stick to SC threads. When you have a track thats actually fucking special you'll know and it'll be time to send it to LOCAL blogs. i.e small shitty ones.. and go from there.

Aims (how I did it):

1. local shitty blog
2. local good blog
3. appropriate a track to something on the internet, send your music to someone who makes 200k view vids on the reg of some sort. doesnt matter if its impresionistic dance or doing some vidya composing. whatever. even hotline devs are a fucking email away.
4. labels will catch wind only. they dont give a fuck about your submissions unless you have a really really good-

PRESS KIT

You can either write this shit in third person yourself... which really sucks to have to do. Or you can get some blog quotes first. Your age is a big factor. Your look is a big factor. When your email isnt a wall of text like this advice you are golden..

And as for what happened with me: I had a bunch of experimental stuff. Went through a break up and put up some catchy stuff where I actually sang. Got blogged. Got some local radio. Small country so boom, labels.. what do the labels ask me to do? Delete all my smaller songs and keep the catchy singing ones.. I was a brat and said no, they never called again. i've been on welfare since but I think I made the right choice, I don't want to have some short lived career and get dropped by a major or indie in 2 years.

Also, if you can get their attention once.. you can do it again. So don't be too phased. But if you are in your twenties. MOVE FAST. I hate to use these yahoo answers caps but seriously, the age is so important if you want to make it on any label.
>>
>>63236034
Necrophilia is always an option
>>
>>63235850
I'm not mad, but you are acting like an asshole. I'm actually curious about your stuff and i'll let you know if i actually like it, but idk why you'd care about an anons opinion anyway. And i don't think OP is gonna post anything since he hasn't released it yet, so just post a link, you have nothing to lose.
>>
>>63236030
Not him, but you come off as a real dick.
>>
>>63236054
rev is that you?
>>
>>63236117
he's b8ing, no one that age acts like that
maybe some mentally impaired people
>>
>>63236030
Post your music then if you are so talented. I want to hear what a career musician who has been performing for 20 years sounds like.

>must have called it
no. no you didn't.

>why you don't play live
I have no equipment apart from a laptop and midi keyboard. My songs are too complicated to play all the parts. It's just me.
>>
If your background is /mu/, you are already fucked credibility wise anyway
>>
>>63235652
>>63235459
holy fuck man it's just a dude asking for advice no need to be a dick
>>
/mu/sicians most likely to make it?
>>
>>63235652
This guy has a small dick. I bet OP's a fucking rapper.
>>
>>63236115
>i'll let you know if i actually like it
I don't care
>you have nothing to lose.
Not correct.
>>63236117
>>63236219
>If it's the advice I don't want to hear, then it's shitposting
>>63236193
>My songs are too complicated to play all the parts
Wow!!!!!!! HOLY SHIT! I bet you are fucking MOZART!!!
>I have no equipment
Why not? Just go buy the equipment you need.
>>63236683
5 1/2 Say what you want.
>>
>>63236829
I have the same size. Nevermind, we're friends.
>>
>>63236878
I've been told it's fine.
>>
>>63236970
It is legitimately average so no hate. We're the one size fits all.
>>
>>63235271
Blue oyster cult
Bright eyes
Bruce Springsteen
Elvis Presley
Chris Cornell
Eddie Vedder
Uncle tupelo

The list goes on...
>>
>>63237145
Almost all of those artists have demo recordings you never heard. Pointing out Chris Cornell specifically, there's probably 100 songs he wrote that were never put out.

Elvis, that was another era, and a special case. As you probably know, songs were written for him, Brill building songs. THOSE guys wrote tons and tons of songs themselves, it was their job. There were many tracks that were written but never released, because they were crap.
>>
>>63236193
Save up and buy a sampler, that's what I did. Then you can break things down into different pads that you'll trigger. It will make it look like you're actually doing things.
>>
>>63237392
>>63236193
I forgot to add, if you have vocals then of course you should do those live, which can be done well through something like a roland 404. If you have guitar or bass, then do some of those parts live. If you are serious about making it, you really should be able to play a live show. Anything. The reason I say that is because it's REALLY fucking hard to make a dime with just recordings.

I really want to hear a track though, my man. You oughtta make a soundcloud not under your name and just post one or two things. You might get some interesting feedback. If you can't consider any criticism then you probably don't have anything great anyway.
>>
>>63236829
>>63237383

>all this pretentious shit about how amateur musicians shouldn't release their recordings unless it's been vetted 100x over

>claims to be a career musician of over 20 years but won't post a single example of something he's made

>given multiple examples of musicians who did exactly what OP is asking about and were wildly successful

>insists OPs music is probably bad when he hasn't heard any of it and knows nothing about OP besides what he's posted in this thread, which is basically nothing

2 possibilities here. One is that this guy is a bitter failed musician whose output has been continually rejected throughout the years, so he insists that nobody can make it because he didn't.

The other is that he's just baiting.

Option 2 is most likely, but both are pathetic. Do your thing OP, just be persistent and above all HAVE FUN doing it. People like that guy are all over the place. Successful musicians are universally the ones that didn't listen to such shitty advice. best of luck to you
>>
You could make a fake website for a fake talent agency/promoter and then send out emails to blogs and critics promoting your shit. I know it sounds stupid but that's what Odd Future did.
>>
>>63236829
There are sooo many examples of musicians whose record label discouraged them from releasing a song, but they did it anyway and it became a hit. A perfect example is Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On"

Musicianship isn't like an RPG where after you grind out 100 recordings, you hit the level where it's acceptable to release something. Sometimes the early shit is the best. Either way, it's clear you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about and just trying to save face after so many people have outright proven you wrong. This post is more for OP's sake, so he doesn't actually listen to your bullshit.
>>
>>63238194
I like this. That's the key for the label bullshit. You have to make it seem like there's HELLA HYPE OH MY GOD THIS KID'S GONNA BLOW UP WE BETTER GRAB HIM FIRST around your music.

At least that's what I can see.
>>
>>63238098
>>all this pretentious shit about how amateur musicians shouldn't release their recordings unless it's been vetted 100x over
How is common sense pretentious?
>>claims to be a career musician of over 20 years but won't post a single example of something he's made
Post your lastfm land I'll tell if you've heard me
>>given multiple examples of musicians who did exactly what OP is asking about and were wildly successful
[citation needed]
>>insists OPs music is probably bad
Quote me where I said that. I have no idea if it's bad or not. I don't know what genre he works in.
>>63238223
>Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On"
Strawman. I am talking about demos recorded with The Dippers, DC Tones or early workings with The Marquees. "What's Going On" was alreday past the point when he was an established musician. Did you even read the thread?
>Musicianship isn't like an RPG
It actually very much is. But if you want to release garbage recordings while you are still a beginner, by all means go ahead. Enjoy your vaporwave threads.
>>
>>63234062
Labels loak for people that already have their own following. In order to conquer the world, you have to start out small. That's where playing live shows comes in. Getting a lot of attention from people on the Internet rarely works, no matter how good you are.
>>
File: 1457298023618.jpg (14 KB, 427x338) Image search: [Google]
1457298023618.jpg
14 KB, 427x338
>>63239101
holy fuck this guy is still mad
>>
>>63239655
>here let me give you some advice...
>WOW YOU ARE SO MAD
?
>>
File: 1456189346139.jpg (6 KB, 217x250) Image search: [Google]
1456189346139.jpg
6 KB, 217x250
>>63239830
you act like a dick
no one likes you
like 5 people in this thread has pointed out that you talk like an asshole
it's like you have absolutely no self-awareness
>>
>>63240103
>you act like a dick
Oh well
>no one likes you
No my problem
>like 5 people in this thread has pointed out that you talk like an asshole
Oh well
>it's like you have absolutely no self-awareness
Oh well

Sounds like you.others are the ones who are mad, not me.
>>
File: 1456682188906.jpg (33 KB, 634x356) Image search: [Google]
1456682188906.jpg
33 KB, 634x356
>>63240174
do you behave like this irl?
>>
>>63240294
Like what? Posting memes and saying "Y U SO MAD??? XXDD"

Would you like some musical advice?
>>
>>63234418
I jave heard from people in the industry that usually for legal reasons they cant accept random demos. Not entirely sure why?
>>
>>63240439
No they just don't accept unsolicited demos because they get thousands of demos per day
>>
>>63240439
Maybe because then if one of their artists came out with something similar, the person who gave them the demo could sue for plagiarism and use that as evidence?
>>
File: 1438323631865.png (118 KB, 314x351) Image search: [Google]
1438323631865.png
118 KB, 314x351
>>63240403
>>
>>63240747
that's creepy, dude.
>>
>>63236829
>My songs are too complicated to play all the parts
>Wow!!!!!!! HOLY SHIT! I bet you are fucking MOZART!!!

This is where I know your definitely not a musician of 20 years. Any musician of that caliber would know produced tracks cant always be played live solo. Its why many solo artists need a second guy to do their live shows. That coupled with you not being able to even show one track to us that you made in these 20 years.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.