[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /mu/ have such terrible taste in jazz?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
>>
File: 1456884800187.jpg (132 KB, 799x1086) Image search: [Google]
1456884800187.jpg
132 KB, 799x1086
Who cares, Jazz is an anti-intellectual genre.
>>
File: Copy.jpg (580 KB, 838x682) Image search: [Google]
Copy.jpg
580 KB, 838x682
>>63222868
because no one gets past the essentials
>>
>>63222988
>because no one gets past the essentials
>posts an "essentials" chart
>>
the JTG revolution came and left everyone with bland and homogenized taste. blindfold threads came around and turned listening to jazz into a game. anyone that dare steps outside of the essentials or blindfold test threads are labeled avant-teens/"poesurs"
basically the reason why /mu/ has such terrible taste in everything.
>>
>>63223145
What do you actually want it to be like? I've seen discussions on all sorts of jazz from classic swing to the most modern releases. It doesn't always go very in depth - at either end of the timeline there aren't many (or even any) people with that detailed a knowledge of the genre - but every time there's a jazz general or a sharethread something comes up that I've never heard of before and which is interesting.

Of course there's shitposting, but if you have a problem with the quality of posts on the subject then fucking contribute instead of whining like a bitch. There's plenty of places to do that.
>>
>>63223145
exactly, it's why there are people who refuse to believe that there is better 50s jazz than fucking Art fucking Blakey and thing that Kenny Dorham is the end of trumpet playing

it's pathetic

>>63223510
i want it to be people having actual discussions about jazz, which happens to be an incredibly broad topic, that goes beyond the same surface level hard bop faggots or the most rockist fusion crap like bitches brew and sun ra
>>
>>63223709
>>63223510
>>63223145
OP here
For fuck's sake I just want people to stop talking about Pharoah Sanders and all that bullshit

I don't even care if people listen to good entry level stuff like Parker or Hubbard; as long as they don't soil threads with mentions of Aloce Coltrane and Sun Ra and drive me fucking insane
>>
>>63222868
>Jazz

It's very difficult to get into. It's subtle and the various styles are not well known or distinguishable upon first listen.

It reminds me of classical in that sense. I've found both genres difficult to break into, and am just now sort of understanding classical music and it's various subtleties.
>>
>>63222868
Because this board is in-love with rockist jazz

Sad really....
>>
>>63223783
It's the intersection of folk (through blues), art, and popular music

It's basically a summary of the Western (but specifically American) musical lexicon, and so of course it'll be broad. I just wished /mu/ didn't shoehorn a few token albums into their taste and then use the critical acclaim of said albums as a defense when they're called out (not understanding the context or even why those albums are acclaimed)
>>
>>63222988
"Modern piano trios" mostly from 60s and 70s.
Fucking hell /jazz/. You say jazz isn't a dying genre
>>
Pic related is one of my favorite jazz records.

I also like Sketches in Spain (Miles Davis), Money Jungle and stuff like that.

Any recommendations on how I should expand my love of jazz?
>>
>>63223904
12 out of the 20 of those are from the 80s or afterwards
>>
File: big band.png (676 KB, 838x682) Image search: [Google]
big band.png
676 KB, 838x682
>>63223949
you seem to like big band stuff, so check out this chart

also Monkey Jungle is a piano trio so check out this chart
>>63222988

and start doing the slightest bit of independant research instead of being spoonfed the most obvious of all obvious albums
>>
>>63223968
Thank you very much Anon.

I usually do a lot of research on the music I like but don't put a lot of effort into jazz. I'm on it though.
>>
>>63223995
it's fine it's just funny to me because out of all kinds of music jazz is without a doubt the largest time sink for me, so i tend to take it out on people who don't know as much
>>
Because /mu/ has more non-musicians than musicians that shitpost about taste and kanye.
If everyone that was on this board went through the grind of learning an instrument for 10 years, minimum, this place would be fantastic, but it's not and we have weebs who jerk off to cartoons instead
>>
>>63223949
Listen to more albums by musicians you like. Look up who plays on those albums (which was your favourite solo? who played it?) and then listen to albums by those people too.

If you want to check out anything from the forties or earlier (and you should at least be checking out early Ellington based on what you like) then remember that the main format back then was singles, so you'll be looking for box sets. A lot of sets of that sort of music are for fucking casuals and have horrible digital noise reduction on them which ruins the music, so do some research first.
>>
>>63224043
i don't play an instrument very well at all and i still feel like i understand jazz because i've done a lot of reading and listening and gone to performances regularly

not to say that you're not entirely right but it seems like in the realm of jazz the idea is that you can't understand it if you can't play it and i don't think that's true at all
>>
>>63223951
Exactly. I wouldn't call the 80s modern
>>
>>63224358
Anything from 50's onwards is modern jazz, poser.
>>
>>63224358
modern refers to bebop, although here it means playing that incorporates post-bop, free jazz, free improvisation, extended techniques, or other aspects of modern jazz improvisation
>>
>>63223968
That Apfelbaum album is pretty cool - checking it out now.
>>
>>63222988
The only modern jazz recording in your list is Mengelberg,
>>
>>63224734
you don't think Steve Kuhn is a modern pianist?
or Fred Hersch or Paul Bley or Uri Caine or Geri Allen or Myra Melford or Jamie Saft or Craig Taborn or John Medeski or Kris Davis or Keith Jarrett or Cecil Taylor?

what the fuck is your definition that only applies to Mengelberg?
>>
>>63223968
Needs Fire! Orchestra, London Jazz Composer's Orchestra and The Jazz Composer's Orchestra.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.