[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2009 >19 >out of high school, hearing modern indie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: murriweather.jpg (26 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
murriweather.jpg
26 KB, 250x250
>2009
>19
>out of high school, hearing modern indie music for the first time, Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear, Radiohead, why was I so out of the loop?
>"hey anon, check out Animal Collective, they're amazing"
>hmm this is interesting, seems a little cluttered and hard to understand, and maybe too consistently electronic, it's ok
>"it's more than just ok anon"
>meet a drummer, start jamming together, talking about music, AnCo comes up
>talking to a guitarist, says Sung Tongs is where it's at
>Leaf House
>College
>finishing the album on Whaddit I Done?
>wait is this even really about the melody, or what, like the textures? what the fuck?
>these guys have done some real progressing over the years, maybe I should give them another listen
>MPP starts to click
>delivery driving around town during the summer blasting the fuck out of this, singing along as loud as possible
>discover Strawberry Jam
>Peacebone
>For Reverend Green
>What the fuck even is this band anyways?
>discover Feels
>Did You See the Words?
>the end of Purple Bottle
>closing the store in the dead of night to fucking Banshee Beat
>constantly screaming harmonies at the top of lungs
>completely altering perception of music as an art form
>tfw you'll never discover AnCo again

How'd you guys into AnCo?
>>
this may sound edgy as fuck but i quite never understood sung tongs as when i listened to it while walking down a graveyard, just the feeling of emptyness and nothingness that those simple chords evoke meda me love this band
>>
>>63222174
Sort of unrelated, but in middle school when I was getting into Zeppelin I had an uncle that swore The Rain Song was a great ballad, and I never had the patience for it. When my grandpa died we were on the way to his memorial and it was raining, those days when your parents still drove you and you had complete trust in them, never even thought about traffic, and I listened to it looking out the window and it finally clicked.

I think people have moments of openness, and sometimes certain things have to catch you at just the right time.

It's interesting that it took a sort of dark state to get you into ST, cause for me most of the album is so sunny and optimistic, but I could definitely see it for The Softest Voice, the opening of Winter's Love, Visiting Friends, and Whaddit I Done?
>>
File: tfwgettingolder.jpg (38 KB, 450x299) Image search: [Google]
tfwgettingolder.jpg
38 KB, 450x299
>>63222117
I'll always remember riding around between classes or parties jamming out to MPP. And that one qt girlfriend who would always sing along to Bluish ...

I miss college.
>>
>>63222259
i 100% understand like when your with your parents just looking out the window. one day in like high school i woke up an hour early on accident and put on pandora back when that was a thing and galaxie 500 ceremony came on (i loved that song) but it was like the state i was in just watching the sun come up and the whole house was quiet and under my blankets was so much different
>>
>>63222267
How's life now though?
>>
>>63222117
>Go to /mu/
>Download MPP since it's /mu/core, like it because I'm a MGMT pleb at the time
>Don't listen to their other stuff for like two years
>Around the time CHz comes out, work backwards to Sung Tongs
>Good shit, Feels is the best of those four albums but all are good
>But then CHz is shit
>Eventually listen to Water Curses and Fall Be Kind
I have no interest in listening to post CHz stuff or pre Sung Tongs stuff
>>
>>63222363
>pre Sung Tongs stuff
Any reason why? Some of those albums get a lot of love. Don't you think you might enjoy them too?
>>
>>63222363
If you like Feels, most people here who like it the best of the big four swear by Spirit They're Gone Spirit They've Vanished. Listen at a low volume at first though.
>>
>late middle school early high school around 2010
>move from cespool /b/ onto boards that seemed cool
>stumble upon /mu/
>everyone is fucking gay
>whatever
>download /mu/ core albums
>holy shit everything is amazing
>14 year old mind can't comprehend MBV but its one of my favorite albums in retrospect

>listen to MPP
>Daily Routine comes on
>elongated piano vocal pandagasm
>jesus christ what is happening
>work my way backwards
>spend a long time with each album
>mfw anco was the soundtrack to my high school experience
>mfw it will probably remain as my favorite band forever

>tfw no one ive met knows them

It's lonely.
>>
>>63222318
this
>>
>>63222447
I have 1 friend who's as into them as I am, and some people I know that are either into them but not as much, or they aren't friends so much as acquaintances.
>>
>on acid
>hey dude check this out
>fireworks by anco
>end of the song both of us were completely naked and covered in body paint

Pretty good
>>
>>63222468
I've gotten people into them before but so far no one really has the patience to listen to anything before MPP. I've actually never found a 'real' modern music fan, maybe I need to get out more.
>>
File: 1353389776815.png (128 KB, 264x447) Image search: [Google]
1353389776815.png
128 KB, 264x447
>be college kid with no friends
>love anco
>no real memories associated with anco
>>
>>63222488
What the fuck are you even talking about? Do you remember the first time you heard them and your thoughts? Then just post that ya dingus.
>>
>>63222363
i agree with you that feels is the best of those (and chz… isnt so good) but stgstv is even better. trust me. try it, at least

(slightly off-topic but on the topic of spirit; i havent been keeping up with anco recently so i JUST learnt that theyve apparently been playing alvin row recently and now im even more jealous of everyone whos seen them recently)
>>
can this be a thread about getting into artists in general?

>always lived in a sketchy neighbourhood
>most of the hood rats there were my friends so I usually felt safe
>walk home on a super normal thursday at 7 in the evening
>it's dark because of muh Sweden
>get mugged by 3 niggers
>knife to the throat going through my pockets and all of that jazz
>after this I can't walk through that street without constantly looking over my shoulder
>get anxious just seeing people get robbed on television/movies
>I had tried getting into Death Grips about 6 months ago
>one of my patrician friends somehow finds out I have listened to them at some point
>he urges me to try it again
>suddenly all the paranoia and anxiety makes sense
>becomes my favorite artist for a long while and still think they are one of the most innovative artists out there

S-should I thank the people who mugged me or something?
>>
>>63222117
>Randomly threw on MPP for the first time
>first thought
>"the fuck even is this lmao"
>try it again later
>instantly fall in love

music is weird.
>>
>>63222519
I mean that the memories aren't really significant. I see a lot of posts on the internet about how people having associations of certain AnCo songs/albums with very sweet or great memories and how nostalgic it makes them. I can't say that. I just listen to AnCo alone, no spectacular memories associated with them to speak of.
>>
>>63222635
Sure dude, crazy story.
>>
>>63222117
>find daily routine on youtube
>instantly got hooked, discover the album and play on repeat
>finally 'get' it after few days.
>tfw random nonsense of noise suddenly becomes joyful melodies
>could relate to the lyrics because had a crush
>it ends badly and everytime I play mpp it reminds me it hurts

its been like 4years since im into anco (about same time i got into music) and only lately that I'd discovered that early anco>>>>>mpp and sj anco

seriously I'd never imagined I would be enjoying danse manatee on repeat moths ago but thats what im doing now. p/w was such a disappointment but I think it's amazing already how much they've done its crazy
>>
>>63222318
Not bad, I graduated and now work as a freelance assistant director on feature films. I travel a lot, meet cool people. Currently enjoying Painting With on my road trips, but it's not the same feeling as MPP was at the time. Also no qt gf at the moment.

How are you?
>>
>>63222871
Pretty good. I play music, and just recently finished a massive project that kept me from playing live for the last 2 1/2 years. You might actually like it if you're into anco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Py8dirq21c

The actual music isn't as chaotic as the trailer though. Anways now that that's done I'm playing live a lot more and getting back into the local scene and it feels good. I like PW too. I'll agree, it's certainly not their best but there are a good number of tracks I like a lot, and in general I think it got underrated.
>>
what a nice thread
>>
>>63222871
Your job sounds like my dream job. Any advice?
>>
>>63223156
Share some stories anon
>>
>>63222363
>CHz is shit
Why is this a meme?
CHz is a great album
>>
i met my girlfriend on the internet over animal collective

we went to a panda bear concert the first time we met in real life

things arent so good with her right now but at least i understand the slow songs on Feels when i used to only 'get' the fast ones

i think Loch Raven is the best thing they've ever done, or at least it communicates a lot to me from where i am right now
>>
>used to be apathetic towarda anco
>second time doing mescaline
>bro and i go to my birthday party at a restaurant while peaking
>freak the fuck out
>go home
>friend puts cuckoo cuckoo on while we decipher what the fuck just happened
>completely captures the feel of the event
From then on i fucking loved anco
>>
>>63222943
cool stuff anon
>>
>>63222267
>And that one qt girlfriend who would always sing along to Bluish ...
that sounds nice
>>
How did you make it to 19 without ever hearing basic bands like radiohead? No wonder you guys are so impressed by indie pop what the fuck.
>>
>>63222117
>How'd you guys into AnCo?
I took a shit in my toilet and looked at it
srsly though if fucking AnCo "completely altering perception of music as an art form" you're probably a child
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.