[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i'm about to hit 'play', /mu/ walk me through
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: grace.jpg (149 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
grace.jpg
149 KB, 700x700
i'm about to hit 'play', /mu/

walk me through this. what should i be expecting and how should i listen to this album fully?

It's my first time hearing this album ever.
>>
>>63216412
it'll be musically (and sonically) a catastrophe that your ears are in the middle of walking away from. you'll hate that it's bad but love that it's bad.
>>
What the fuck is this thread?
>what should i be expecting
idk faggot, fucking music maybe?
>how should i listen to this album fully?
with your ears you fucking mongol, how else?
>>
File: Linkara farting.jpg (7 KB, 296x170) Image search: [Google]
Linkara farting.jpg
7 KB, 296x170
>>63216564
i like to know of the nuances to watch out for so i know the journey i'm walking down the path of.
>>
>>63216564
This desu

But seriously, great singing, nice instrumental performances, some great melodies and chords. If you like sensitive, feelsy 90s alternative rock with a touch of soul, you'll find it great. If you don't, why you listened to this in the first place?
>>
>>63216412
>how should i listen to this album fully?
Singing along swimming in a river
>>
>>63216681
that doesn't mean what i think you think it means
>>
Listen to his dad instead senpai
>>
>>63216610
But that takes away the entire experience of the album?
>>
>guys pls hold my hand I'm about to listen to 90s alt-rock
you are such a pathetic little weasel
>>
>>63216909
OP here,

i'm halfway through right now at a little tune called hallelujah (i heard this in a movie before - jeff buckley's best writing for sure so far
>>
>>63216412
What exactly are you expecting? Some sonic explosion like you have never heard before? This album is nothing like that, it's just a very talented singer sharing some songs he wrote along with some covers. It's pretty good, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a masterpiece. Jeff was still growing, but unfortunately his career ended tragically soon after. This album shows he had a lot of potential, but we unfortunately will never get to see it.
>>
>>63216937
and your bait is even more pathetic
>>
>>63216834
nah... this album's the best thing either of them ever did.

>>63216412
Do you like 90s rock? This guy's arguably the best vocalist to come out of that whole scene. The instrumentation is nice, and occasionally even brilliant, but IMO this one's really about the vocal performance.

I hated this album the first time I heard it, but as I got older and a little more open-minded, I came to really love it.
>>
File: 1433192949330.png (9 KB, 338x339) Image search: [Google]
1433192949330.png
9 KB, 338x339
I get so triggered when people say this isn't a masterpiece.
>>
>>63217000
>I hated this album the first time I heard it, but as I got older and a little more open-minded, I came to really love it.
Same here. I used to hate the wanking of his voice in the end of Grace, now i think it's amazing.
>>63217015
I wouldn't say masterpiece but for a debut album/being his only true release, its very good.
>>
Music your parents would like that isn't bad but isn't good, pushes no boundaries
>>
>>63216909
kek
>>
>>63217015
Live At Sin E is his true masterpiece
>>
>>63217000
>nah... this album's the best thing either of them ever did.
I'm curious as to why you think this. Tim's Star Sailor and Lorca are spectacular, and his voice is as amazing as Jeff's. I suppose that is just my opinion, but I never really see people argue that Grace is better that anything Tim did.
>>
>>63217000
>Do you like 90s rock?
As someone who absolutely loathes radiohead with a passion and gets nausea at the sight of "90's alt rock" but at the same time has grace in his top5 of all time, do you think there are any similar artists I should look at?
>>
>>63217092
failure
>>
>>63217092
Hum
>>
>>63217092
I'm not sure, man. The first thing that comes to mind is Soundgarden's Superunknown, although that's more of a hard rock record. Still, similar in that has some great vocals/complex arrangements.

Really, there's nothing exactly like Grace to me. It's got a sort of soul/spiritual tinge to it that's really unique for the 90s mainstream it came from.

>>63217083
I'll probably catch hell for this, but Tim Buckley just comes across as very generic to me.
>>
>>63217350
>Really, there's nothing exactly like Grace to me. It's got a sort of soul/spiritual tinge to it that's really unique for the 90s mainstream it came from.
Yea, that always my suspicion, and why I haven't bothered with other 90s rock, I think there's something unique to Grace that appeals to me, and is tied to Buckley as a person, so I don't see a point in really searching for similar stuff.
I have listened to Hum years ago, didn't do anything for me, Listening to failure right now.

>I'll probably catch hell for this, but Tim Buckley just comes across as very generic to me.
I always expected to like Tim more than Jeff, as he falls rather close to the spectrum of things I listen to but I didn't manage to connect to his stuff. Sounded wackier than I expected and I just didn't get it much I suppose.
>>
>>63217092
Do you like woman singers?
>>
>>63217581
I guess the right answer to that is that I don't listen to woman singers. Obviously I can't identify with them as much as with male singers but it also rarely happens that I like a woman's music. That's not to say that I'm predisposed against them, there are quite a few I like (Shiina Ringo, Sapphire Slows, Morita Doji), it's just a minority.
>>
>>63217664
Ok try this, heavily influenced by Jeff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erOMPA0Y0m8
>>
>>63217664
I'm not the anon you're replying too, but you need to listen to more music, dude. So, so many very talented female musicians out there, or bands with female vocalists.
>>
Lover You Should've Come Over is like a musical orgasm imho but some people loathe it.
>>
>>63217745
I think that is his best original so by far.
>>
>>63217732
>but you need to listen to more music, dude
wtf are you talking about, how do you know how much music I've listened to/what music I listen to
besides random bands and artists here and there from other genres (rock, UK garage, neofolk, you name it) my main interests are noise, black metal and formerly classical, now let's examine what great female artists are available to me
>noise
let me laugh
>black metal
LET
ME
LAUGH
>classical
hildegard
uhh
gubaidulina?
yah...
>>
>>63217722
listening
>>63217745
best on the album, dream brother runner up
>>
>>63217722
ok not listening anymore this is horrible
it sounds like muse or something to me
as I said, I asked for similar stuff on a whim, I've always consciously stayed away from exploring his "genre"
>>
>>63217859
what'd you think of failure?
>>
dad was an objectively better musician desu senpai
>>
>>63217874
I found it pleasant, reminds me of a friend of mine who's more into stuff like dinosaur jr etc
not my thing but I can see myself listening to it a couple more times in my life
>>
>>63217859
Well, sorry to shit in your cereal, Jeff influenced reached the furthest in Muse, Radiohead type bands. You aren't gonna find anybody that truly sounds like Jeff Buckley unless you like Hozier or some shit
>>
>>63217892
that's a good way to put it and pretty much my thoughts too.

magnified is my favourite album by them, but i think i like them because of the fuzzy basslines
>>
For a) start at the beginning of the album, not on shuffle and b) don't do anything other than listen to the album and analyze it for yourself. Other people can't really tell you what you'll get out of music.
>>
>>63217932
is this what you do for every new album you listen to?
>>
>>63217917
yea, as you can see from a post above, jeff is more of an anomaly in my taste and I don't mind that much
>>63217921
I naturally went to fantastic planet, listened to a good 20 minutes before the ours link was posted

btw that guy tried a 100% jeff scream it was so funny, there was no attempt to hide "the influence"
at first it honestly sounded to me like he just pasted it straight from the s/t track on grace or something
it wasn't as powerful but he pulled it off on a basic level
>>
File: buckleygraceperfect.jpg (721 KB, 668x1300) Image search: [Google]
buckleygraceperfect.jpg
721 KB, 668x1300
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.