[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can i make a living off being a musician?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
>>
can i make a living?
>>
that's not the point
>>
for the majority of people probably not.
>>
>>63203563
If your decent (which comes with practice) and play as much as you can and live in a country that isnt a fucking cultural desert like I do-

then yes you can

that or luck

or going to sony and sucking a couple of dicks
>>
>>63203563
i don't know. I'm gonna get a degree so that's my safety net
>>
>>63203563

where is this picture from
>>
if you're a musician who sells blowjobs on the side then yes
>>
thats a great photo
>>
>>63203563
if you are the dog from the photo, i hope you can, i would be impressed
>>
File: 2525_1.jpg (33 KB, 533x400) Image search: [Google]
2525_1.jpg
33 KB, 533x400
>>63203708
>If your decent (which comes with practice) and play as much as you can and live in a country that isnt a fucking cultural desert like I do-

>then yes you can

not really, it is all luck and positioning,

>"hard work tho pays off"
pic related is where it ends up
>>
if you really think 4chan can answer that for you, then no
>>
Spoilers,
No.
>>
probably not
you should still give it a try though
>>
No, you most likely will not make a living off of being a musician.

However, being a musician will significantly improve the quality of your life. Being a musician =/= financial success. Make music you want to make, and please, for the love of God, please give 0 fucks what others think of it. Take criticisms and ponder them, but NEVER let someone who dislikes the central idea of your musical expression stop you.
>>
>>63203563
You know about /mu/, so no.
>>
Probably not. It's a rough world. If you tried really hard to make it you're whole schedule gets fucked up. Waking up at 4 in the afternoon for breakfast.

fun though
>>
>>63203563
while it would be cool to make a living off being a musician, i dont think i have the ambition or confidence to make it to that point unless i completely stumble into it.

i'll still make music, put stuff out, and maybe even perform but i'll make my living off some other boring job in the meantime
>>
File: 1445285586336.jpg (48 KB, 261x520) Image search: [Google]
1445285586336.jpg
48 KB, 261x520
>>63203563
>intending to use art for monetary purposes
do vanish
>>
Make music you like, put it on bandcamp, try to play some shows

worst case scenario
>people don't like it

best case scenario
>people do like it, you make some money to spend on the side, maybe a shit ton of money if you get signed

honestly the middle point between the best and worst case scenarios is not a bad place to be
>>
Define "Living"
You could be a music teacher at a school and do your own music shit on the side.
Teachers don't make dick, but being a music teacher would be easy as fuck.
"Ok kids pull out your recorder, ok thanks kids have a good day"
35k a year as a teacher is better than nothing.

Otherwise, you have to be HOLYSHITAMAZING at music and have super high quality stuff to make it on your own at all
>>
>>63203572
don't know man
>>
Been making music for two years. I've sold one download. And had one peak day with 5000 listens. Out of those 5000 roughly 50 listened to the EP all the way through.

Now this is what i've accomplished by living in bumfuck south dakota, with no gigging.

You might fair better.

I'd suggest getting a job and doing it on the side. Unless your attractive as shit and you got some catchy music - i don't see music as being a lucrative endeavor.
>>
It depends on what you do. Just trying to "make it" won't work on its own but if you learn how to use audio and recording equipment or know how to play a whole bunch of instruments then you could get a job in a studio as an audio engineer or session musician

There's definitely ways to make it work
>>
>>63208412
I have been making music for 6 years and that is more exposure than I have ever gotten...
>>
If Hopsin can...
>>
File: 1454799357601.jpg (31 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1454799357601.jpg
31 KB, 540x540
>>63208412

>selling music
>>
You either have to be absurdly talented or willing to work really, really hard. And being on 4chan you are almost certainly neither of those things.
You could theoretically do it if you reduce your standards of living to nothing (meaning no internet except public wifi) and play as many shows as you can possibly book. Assuming you can even get shows in the first place.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiitifPJkow

He make a couple of interesting point on that I guess
>>
>>63203573
But what if it was the point
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.