[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just listened to this for the first time. It's beautiful...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: Pygmalion_album.jpg (19 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Pygmalion_album.jpg
19 KB, 500x500
I just listened to this for the first time. It's beautiful...
I've heard so many people say it's their worst, and after listening to Souvlaki and the previous albums so many times, couldn't avoid it any more. Incredible
>>
>>63191183
Thoughts?
>>
>>63191183
My favorite of their work. Maybe I'll give it a spin tonight, haven't listened in a long time. Really resonates with me
>>
it's their best album, and almost paradoxically, it doesn't get better with repeated listens.
>>
>>63191418
>>63191435
It's definitely something that clicks right away, defies any of their previous labels. Good to see you guys enjoy it as well. What else is there that's similar to this?
>>
>>63191183
Fuck man, I've tried SO hard to get into this album. Like 10-20 listens hard. I appreciate what an amazing and important piece of singular genius, but I don't enjoy listening to it in the slightest. Strange because on paper it should be my perfect album Oh well.

>Cra-a-a-zy for love

^ is especially annoying.
>>
>>63191532
Oh man that's a great question. Off the top of my head some obvious answers would be late talk talk, the slower songs from Mogwai Young Team... thinking more about that atmosphere than just shoegaze... ride's first album I guess although that's def shoegazey...
>>
I would also throw in Eno's another green world as an unconventional similar album... bluuuuuue August moooon...
>>
Yeah it's really good.
>>
>>63191651
Thank you. I'll check that out as I haven't listened to any of those. Maybe Mojave 3?

>>63191607
I listened to it after marathoning their other work, so I think that enhances the experience. Earlier on I might now have liked it as much. Crazy For Love is a favorite.
>>
>>63191532
>Song-oriented, warm, dreamy ambient

Probably:

Grouper - Alien Observer
GG Masin - Talk to the sea
insides - clear skin
susuma yokota - sakura
windy & carl - consciousness
malory - not here not now
pleamer - resplandor
jefre cantu ledesma - love is a stream

bare in mind there is nothing quite like Pygmalion but these are all reasonably proximate

>>63191757
I don't know how you can stand that vocal! Annoying af. Blue Skied n' Clear is the only track I enjoy.
>>
>>63191532
Sorry I know that list is a bit long >>63191812

Just check out Grouper, it's the closest to Pygmalion
>>
I really love this album. Honestly Slowdive going from Souvlaki to this reminds me of Talk Talk going from It's My Life to Colour Of Spring. A huge creative leap. Pygmalion has so many new and interesting ideas compared to Souvlaki, which, dont get me wrong, I love dearly
>>
>>63191757
>after marathoning their other work

I did the same the first time I listened to it.
>>
>>63191855
That's because Neil was let off the leash for Pygmalion and made it according to his singular vision. On Souvlaki he was tied to the will of the label and to the album is beholden to the shitty songwriting of the other band members
>>
>>63191812
Thank you. I'm going to check all of these out. To me, it's similar to Campfire Songs by Animal Collective in the respect that it's not what I would expect but yet totally beautiful.

>>63191847
Long lists are great. I'm going to check out Grouper now.

I know Slowdive is working on a live album, but I really hope they come out with some new material as well.
>>
>>63191847
Grouper is a great call and also the only name I recognize from your list so thanks for the recs
>>
>>63191812
thanks for the recs family :^)
>>
>>63192196
>>63192210
NP, I should warn you that some of them fit the bill only slightly. Most of them like Jefre, Malory & Pleamor are very different but I included them because they're ethereal in a way that reminds me of Pygmalion a little bit.

In all honesty Grouper is probably the only one that's especially similar. That Windy & Carl album is mindblowingly good though, top 5 ambient for me.
>>
>>63192420
That's more than fine, I always like to discover new artists and sounds I haven't heard before
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.