[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Picking up an instrument as an adult
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: index.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
Not sure if this even qualifies for /mu/ but do any of you have experience as adults picking up an instrument for the first time?

I'm 33, have time on my hands, and am thinking about taking up the violin. Is this a complete farce, or if I love it should I just go with it regardless if I don't necessarily make anything of it?

If anyone has any experiences, I'd love to read them.
>>
do it bro
>>
>>63172962
It's never too late to start OP. Unless you get arthritis or something.
>>
you probably won't be a GREAT player ever but it's a fun, enriching, constructive way to spend your time so fucking run with it
>>
>>63172992
Nah. Honestly, I'm a recovering addict that is looking to fill my time with more positive things than booze and pills.
>>
>>63172962
Do it. Violins sound amazing. If I could, I'd choose a brass instrument tho
>>
>>63173027
This is obviously a novice question, but no difference between violin and fiddle correct?

Before I polarize the conversation, I'd like to learn some classical piece but would also like to play some Punch Brothers.
>>
>>63173062
IIRC fiddle is just an umbrella term
>>
>>63173062
fiddle is just slang for violin or viola when you use it to play folk, you're good
>>
>>63173121
>>63173139

Much appreciated. As of now, I'm looking at violin stores in the area and a teacher. Any specific resources anyone would recommend? I'm just googling right now
>>
started with guitar with 20, pretty good now 6 years later. motivated a 40 year old co-worker to start playing, and he's a beast 3 years later.

if you have fun doing it and are aware it will take its time it's really never to late to start with music.
>>
Yeah, you can do it. However, it'll take about quadruple the effort to get anywhere in comparison to someone who started at the "right time" (around 10).
>>
Well fuck, thank you all for the positivity. I think I'm going to do it.
>>
>>63173183
I think it depends where you live, but googling is probably the best option, unless you know someone who may have references
>>
>>63172962
If you ever get good, hit me up, let's start a band

I'm kind of inspired by Vampire Weekend's sound right now
>>
>>63173284
I'm looking up places in Louisville now. It's a major city, I'm sure I won't have problems finding a reputable store.
>>
>>63173324
Ha. You might be waiting a while, but I"m game. I'm more punch bros and decemberists right now.
>>
So far, the consensus I'm reading is for a beginner to buy their violin online. I've found an article that endorses the cremona sv 130 4/4, not sure if anyone has any experience with them.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.