[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bob D
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (773 KB, 1252x1931) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
773 KB, 1252x1931
How do people listen to Bob Dylan despite the ridiculously annoying vocals, average melodies and occasionally very poor lyrics?
>>
B-B-Because he's influential...right? RIGHT GUYS???
>>
File: hat.jpg (17 KB, 300x389) Image search: [Google]
hat.jpg
17 KB, 300x389
he has a nice hat
>>
People listen to Bob Dylan?
>>
>>63160150
Good point, you've won me over
>>
In small doses
>>
>>63160188
Yeah fair enough
>>
The only point there I'll give you is the annoying vocals, (which is a pleb ass opinion by the way) the other points are objectively false.
>>
>>63160134
His vocals are largely an acquired taste, just like a lot of singers with strange voices. His melodies are (often) average because he's a folk singer at heart and folk has always been a simpler genre. And if you're going to say "occasionally very poor" lyrics, then every artist has regrettable lyrical moments you idiot.
>>
>>63160213
Well, being an opinion, surely it's subjective. If you like him good for you I'm not music man. I'll give you that 'average' melodies may be unfair
>>
>>63160230
You have not answered my question but I agree with everything you said.
>>
It depends on what Dylan era you listen to. His voice isn't really that strange early on, it's all the years of smoking piled on top of each other that make his modern voice shit.
And my dad listened to him a lot while I was growing up, so I just got used to hearing it, I guess.
>average melodies
You can tell the music isn't really the important part, but the lyrics are. Songs like Mr. Tambourine Man, he fucks up the guitar part a lot but doesn't care, it's all about the message he wants to deliver.
>occasionally very poor lyrics
Occasionally. Out of a discography of 30+ albums, I'll take it. The good lyrics density is a lot higher towards the start.
>>
>>63160134
you could say the same thing about jimi hendrix but he was still great
>>
because its easy mode, as bonus points its possible to condescend others for not having heard some rare song out of the 1000000 other bob dylan songs that dylan himself cant keep track of.
>>
File: 1456720208990.jpg (105 KB, 1024x954) Image search: [Google]
1456720208990.jpg
105 KB, 1024x954
epic thread full of good opinions
>>
>>63161257
at this point dylan cant even keep track of his better songs
>>
>>63160134
>average melodies

his chord progressions may be very simple, but his vocal melodies are actually very good.
>>
Many people listen to music entirely for the "message behind the lyrics" and not because it actually sounds good.
>>
Dylan has fantastic melodies you plan.
>>
>>63160232
>Well, being an opinion
Then why bother asking in the first place?
>>
>>63160134
>ridiculously annoying vocals,
His vocals do better to communicate the heart of the lyric, and seem less contrived than just some singer who soudns like every other singer.
>average melodies
How is that measured?
>and occasionally very poor lyrics
Like what?
>>
>>63160134
I really like his voice, I don't overvalue melody and lyrics in music, I accept that his melodies are stylistically appropriate, and while I agree that his lyrics are occasionally very poor, I think they're also occasionally very good.
>>
>>63160134
i remember thinking exactly this for the longest time, and then i listened to blonde on blonde. aside from the blues tracks which are kinda meh (i don't care for the blues), every song on there is fucking magical. melodically, atmospherically, lyrically, instrumentally, from front to back that motherfucker is packed with tremendous material. his voice is staggeringly expressive once you listen past the pack-a-day-induced wheeze that pervades the album, it's stylistically varied, and overwhelmingly inspired through and through. aside from the blues tracks. leopard skin pillbox hat has some tight lyrics and that's about it desu.

if you think these things about bob then you haven't listened to blonde on blonde at all, or perhaps just not closely enough. do that and let it be your entry point to his oeuvre.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.