[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the appeal of live music? I listen to a lot of music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
What's the appeal of live music? I listen to a lot of music but I wouldn't want to go to a dark crowded room to listen to an inferior version

Do people purely go for the social aspect?
>>
>to listen to an inferior version
Depending on the band, this is entirely the opposite. A lot of bands deliver their most impassioned versions of songs live, and add things (alternate versions, added sounds, extra verses, different lyrics, transitions to other songs, etc etc) you'd never get otherwise.

>Do people purely go for the social aspect?
For me this is a bonus if you're in a good crowd, but this is far from my motivation.
>>
energy

people who dont have autism enjoy dancing and connecting on a more personal level with the music. A live performance at the moment you're experiencing it is often better than a studio recording; I can think of at least a few bands I LOVE that totally lose their magic on record.
>>
>>63158692
>>63158693

But I've always hated recorded live versions of songs, always preferred the studio version
>>
>>63158713
you're not listening to the right artists then
most great musicians are as good, if not better, live
>>
>>63158713
because listening to a recording of a live version more often than not loses most/all of what makes it great.
>>
>>63158772
>>63158774

Ok that may be the case. But how would I enjoy music pressed against thousands of extroverted people. How do I find the joy in that
>>
>>63158800
>thousands

yeah you like the wrong music

get off mu
>>
>>63158834
Frank Sidebottom was a small band and they played to a couple thousand every night according to Jon Ronson so...I'm assuming it's thousands.
>>
>pressed against thousands of extroverted people.
i think your idea of how live shows work is pretty far away from the reality
either that or, again, you're not listening to the right artists
>>
>>63158800
>pressed against thousands of extroverted people
You just make too many assumptions, Anon.

Most importantly, not everyone going to shows is extroverted. I am painfully awkward and ugly and introverted, but I absolutely love going to concerts. It's about the music, not the gaggle of people around you. Depending on the band though, these are other fans of the same stuff, and you may even have some music conversations. It happens.
>pressed against people
You can easily stand in the back and get the same view and hear fine. Too many assumptions.
>>
I don't know why the fuck people go any more, since 99% of them just hold up their phones and ignore what's actually happening.
>>
>>63158852
jesus christ
>>
>>63158947
no they don't you wrong generation faggot
>>
>>63158947
ur at the wrong shows if its 99 percent phones anon
>>
>>63158800
I'm introverted and anxious as fuck, but punk and hardcore concerts let me go loose
>>
Certain acts are way better live, recorded live music doesn't even come close to the actual live experience. Live recordings of bands like swans, mercury rev or my bloody valentine for example don't actually represent the live sound at all. Some musicians I love can be pretty boring to see live though.
>>
>>63159143
Who would you recommend to see live in London.
>>
>>63158977
>>63158983
Okay, I admit I exaggerated for effect (the effect of making me look a bit of a dick, in retrospect), but it is kind of depressing to see so much of an audience not appreciating a performance, whether it's fucking about with their phone, chatting to their friends throughout, or just general disinterest.
So what are you two into that has great audiences?
>>
so for example

http://youtu.be/FdPeNBv-SBM

this show was one of the best nights of my life because it was the last show at an incredible space, and this is the band that started it and lived there. The sound isn't amazing (even less so on this recording because it was so loud*) but that's not the point; it was fun, it was an emotional unique experience. The only person who had a phone out was the dude who recorded this and I'm glad he did/does it for local shows, it creates a cool document of friends/bands I love and shows I never want to forget. Nobody gets swallowed up in their phones at shows, and when they do it's usually to document the show with a pic or two or something.

If you go into a show thinking of it as a pure listening experience you'll be disappointed, but that's not all it is so that's not all you should view it as.

*recording actually sounds breddy fuggin gud
>>
>>63159199
All those attractive young people throwing themselves around and shouting

Nightmarish.

I would be eaten up.
>>
>>63158653
who is this semen demon
>>
>>63158653
>to listen to an inferior version
Wouldn't the inferior version be the studio/album versions, since it has artificially been overdubbed/mixed/mastered/limited/compressed? Wouldn't the live version be more honest and reflective of the artist?
>>
>>63158852
lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
>>
>>63159224
people dont get into punk rock because they are social celebrities anon

everyone there is awkward in some way, most of the room just knows or is at least familiar woth each other from going to shows. im shy as fuck but i was right up front that hold time tossing myself around like a ragdoll in a wind tunnel.
>>
>>63158653
>Do people purely go for the social aspect?
usually, yeah

>>63158693
>connecting on a more personal level with the music
this for example is bullshit and just means connecting with the other people
>>
>>63159195
>or just general disinterest.
can you even tell if this is happening at a live show? if you're paying more attention to the crowd than to the live, then you're probably disinterested, too
not everyone who isn't doing that shitty "middle class art student shuffle dance" isn't bored with the show, y'know
>>
File: 1448870893803.png (563 KB, 861x990) Image search: [Google]
1448870893803.png
563 KB, 861x990
Counterpoint: How the fuck am I supposed to see Blackstar live?
>>
>>63159277
What if I just freeze and stand there

That's what I do at parties and clubs
>>
>>63158653
>What's the appeal of live music? I listen to a lot of music but I wouldn't want to go to a dark crowded room to listen to an inferior version

autism: the post
>>
>>63159350
get drunk first

or just try it, its p easy to get swept up in the energy of the room
>>
>>63159621
But when I'm drunk I just start sobbing

And acid just makes me really horny

mdma (I've taken 98% purity crystals) make me feel hostile

I haven't tried cocaine I guess
>>
>>63158653
who is this tit monster?
>>
>>63159350
That's the great thing about live music, nobody cares if you just stand there awkwardly. No one really pays attention to you at all unless you want them to, especially in bigger crowds and louder shows.
>>
>>63159686
Anita eckberg
>>
its fun
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.