[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone actually like Revolution 9? I like the weird atmosphere,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: hqdefault.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
Anyone actually like Revolution 9? I like the weird atmosphere, very eerie. I feel like there's also a certain tragic aspect to it. It sounds a lot like musical schizophrenia, which of course was very relevant to the period in which it was made considering the acid casualties of the sixties.
>>
Yeah it's legitimately one of the best Beatles songs ever

Not trolling
>>
>>63150732
I non ironically feel this way too. I wouldn't say it's my favourite of all time, but I would say its one of the best songs on White Album
>>
it's actually pretty sweet and i wish it sparked more popular interest in musique concrete, etc.
>>
I love it. I understand why people don't care for it, but to dismiss it as "just noise" or "garbage" like a lot of people do is foolish. If you actually take the time to actively listen to it you'll notice so many musical qualities. Dynamics, "tempo" changes, panning, even crescendos and decrescendos. Plus, it's even better when listened to in the concept of the album.
>>
>>63150894
>>63150732
>>63150683
Thank Yoko
>>
>>63150683
listen to more Stockhausen
>>
>>63150683
>>63150894
>>63150913
Revolution take 20 is my favorite. I love how it starts out normal as Revolution/1 and devolves into a jam session before fading out into what would become Rev. 9
>>
>>63150963
is that why there's those electronic noises in the background of the last part of revolution 1? i've never found any info on those sounds, which is extra confusing cause the song is supposed to be like this throwback rock n roll 50s tune
>>
>>63150924
Go to bed Scruffy
>>
>>63151012
>is that why there's those electronic noises in the background of the last part of revolution 1?
Of take 20? Or the album version?
>>
>>63150683
it's the only good beatles song
>>
>>63150924
Revolution 9 is genuinely on par with a lot of Stockhausen
>>
>>63151108
And there it is. The most pretentious opinion I've ever heard. I'm done for the night, I'll see you guys tomorrow
>>
>>63151012
Yep, I'd link a YT of take 20, but none exist, unless you want one with the pitch slowed, but yeah, Take 20 is 10 minutes long, while Revolution 1 fades out at 4 minutes or so. A few of the electronic sounds were mixed out, but at the tail end of the track you can hear the jam start to build up before it fades out...
>>
>>63151171
i can tell you haven't been on /mu/ long
>>
When I first heard it, I was a kid, and my older cousin had told me to listen to it in the dark at night. I did, and I thought it was fucking terrifying, but I was dedicated to lasting it out to say I had listened to it all.

The one thing I remembered more than anything was at the end, when a woman (I didn't know it was Yoko at the time) muttered "If you became naked". For whatever reason, it made me think of being in a hollowed out war zone, with the sky gone black and a woman looking down at me, with me stripped naked and with nowhere to go. There was no one for miles except for the woman and I, but she just kept staring down at me, drinking me in, and I think I spent about ten minutes sitting there in the darkness, trapped in that scene, before I remembered where I was and turn on the lights.

I still remember her and the scene with all kinds of detail, even though I never had a moment like that again. I never listened to the whole song again after that; something keeps me from being able to make it through it, though I couldn't tell you why.
>>
>>63151531
>>>/x/
>>
File: 1412742407034.gif (1 MB, 260x146) Image search: [Google]
1412742407034.gif
1 MB, 260x146
>>63151531
>>63151730

Eh, that's not really spooky enough for /x/. It's mildly spooky, tops.
>>
>>63151138
maybe he's reccing you rude bitch
although if he's not...he actually is
>>
>>63152272
as OP I have to say that wasn't me and I'll definitely check out Stockhausen
>>
>>63150886
This. I heard Revolution 9 after I started reading about dada and absurdist art. It seemed like the kind of music Becket or Ionesco would like.
>>
I do. I love it and value it as the only song of its kind in the Beatles discography. It does have a very eerie and unsettling feeling to it, very cold and desolate, downright jarring at moments. It has such a bizarre atmosphere. I never skip it when listening to the White Album.
>>
>>63150683
It's shit
>>
File: 13111903243134.png (14 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
13111903243134.png
14 KB, 400x400
>>63151531

The fuck am I reading here?
>>
>>63151531
2 spooKy 4 me
>>
it's a fun track
>>
YOU BECOME NAKED
>>
>>63151531

S P O O K E D
>>
[Chorus]
Number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number

[Verse 1]
Then there's this Welsh Rarebit wearing some brown underpants
About the shortage of grain in Hertfordshire
Everyone of them knew that as time went by
They'd get a little bit older and a little bit slower but
It's all the same thing, in this case manufactured by someone who's always
Umpteen your father's giving it diddly-i-dee
District was leaving, intended to pay for

[Chorus]
Number 9, number 9

Who's to know?
Who was to know?

[Chorus]
Number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9

[Verse 2]
I sustained nothing worse than
Also for example
Whatever you're doing
A business deal falls through
I informed him on the third night
When fortune gives

[Chorus]

People ride, people ride
Ride, ride, ride, ride, ride
Ride! Ride!
>>
[Chorus]

[Verse 3]
I've missed all of that
It makes me a few days late
Compared with, like, wow!
And weird stuff like that
Taking our sides sometimes
Floral bark
Rouge doctors have brought this specimen

I have nobody's short-cuts, aha

[Chorus]

With the situation

They are standing still

The plan, the telegram

Ooh ooh

[Chorus]

Ooh

[Verse 4]
A man without terrors from beard to false
As the headmaster reported to me
My son he really can try as they do to find function
Tell what he was saying, and his voice was low and his hive high
And his eyes were low

Alright!

[Chorus]

[Verse 5]
So the wife called me and we'd better go to see a surgeon
Or whatever to price it yellow underclothes
So, any road, we went to see the dentist instead
Who gave her a pair of teeth which wasn't any good at all
So I said I'd marry, join the fucking navy and went to sea

In my broken chair, my wings are broken and so is my hair
I'm not in the mood for whirling

Um da
Aaah

[Verse 6]
How?
Dogs for dogging, hands for clapping
Birds for birding and fish for fishing
Them for themming and when for whimming

Only to find the night-watchman
Unaware of his presence in the building

Onion soup

[Chorus]

Industrial output
Financial imbalance

Thrusting it between his shoulder blades

The Watusi
The twist

Eldorado

Take this brother, may it serve you well

Maybe it's nothing
Aaah
Maybe it's nothing
What? What? Oh

[Verse 7]
Maybe even then
Impervious in London
Could be difficult thing
It's quick like rush for peace is
Because it's so much
It was like being naked

If you became naked
>>
>>63150924
>>63151138
It's more like a pleb version of Schaeffer, I don't know why people lump Stockhausen in with musique concrète
>>
>>63157102
>People ride, people ride
>Ride, ride, ride, ride, ride
>Ride! Ride!
It's Right, as in "Alright!" from Revolution 1
>>
>>63157467
a lot of it is wrong
blame genius (you could always edit it, i cba)
>>
>>63157482
>you could always edit it
lol
>>
File: image.jpg (173 KB, 950x713) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
173 KB, 950x713
Literally my number two fave Beatles song after A Day In The Life (which brings me to tears any time I hear it).

If you think it's scary, listen to it backwards

>TAKE HIM OUT TAKE HIM OUT
>SATAN, LOOK AT ME SATAN
>ISNT HE BEAUTIFUL
>mfw I listened to it back masked and was so spooked
>>
>>63157701
i read that if you play it backwards it proves paul is dead, or something
>>
>>63151012
>>63151189
>>63150963

Also, the audio of Paul going RIGHT, RIGHT, RIGHT, RIIIIGHT in Revolution 9, was taken from the cut part of Take 20
>>
>>63150683
I like musique concrète so yes, I genuinely like that curious bit of pop concrète. I also think it's very nice that they tried to introduce such techniques to a wide audience. Might not look like it, but they succeeded. Eventually.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03UomoaO4VQ
>>
>>63157724
Seems that anything Beatles related proves that Paul's dead if you play it backwards.

I remember this beautifully schizophrenic site that had, in truly excessive detail, a recount of absolutely every and any *thing* (lyrics, cover art, interviews, whatever) that might be interpreted as some sort of message if fucked enough in the head. It was one of the most glorious pieces of unintentional comedy I had ever come across on the net. Wish I remembered the URL
>>
>>63157834
That was John you dunce
>>63157701
b8
>>63157724
If you play the phrase "number nine" backwards, it supposedly sounds like "turn me on, dead man". That is the clue in the song, aside from implications that the car horn and explosions represent the car crash.
>>
>>63158369
>pop concrète
>>
>>63158633
Yeah, I know. It's just a way of setting apart the more commited, "professional" concrète scene from the boys' enthusiastic and juvenile attempt at it (not that it makes it any less well executed).

And if you find a band that mixes electronic/tape noise and collage to their music, it's very much more likely they've been influenced by Revolution nº9 than by, say Pierre Henry's Musique Sans Titre.

Sidenote, I think we could very well apply the termp pop concrète to a few musical projects out there, like the more noisy, sample-based rock that's not necessarily abrassive.
>>
File: yarp.jpg (35 KB, 180x200) Image search: [Google]
yarp.jpg
35 KB, 180x200
>>63158490
Reminds me of something similar that did that with everything David Bowie ever did and proved every single bit of it was references to the occult. Can't find it, but I somehow feel it was the same dude. He also had some stuff on Anal Sex Magik.

It is a weird site.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.