[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would /mu/ agree with pic related? More or less it's essentially
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8
Would /mu/ agree with pic related? More or less it's essentially the same thing?

*tips*
>>
File: 1436596378645.jpg (42 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1436596378645.jpg
42 KB, 625x626
>>
>>
>electricity
>invented
damn no wonder no one likes metal fags
>>
>>63144790
No, absolutely not, there are like 2 or 3 virtuosistic metal guitarists out there doing neoclassicism and they don't even understand what classical music is about. Thats all.
>>
>>63145754
but how else will those morons justify that garbage if they can't compare it to actual art music?
>>
>>63145952
If you need to justify your music, maybe you should change your music. The music I do and listen justifies by itself.
>>
File: 1457286811138.jpg (668 KB, 2160x3268) Image search: [Google]
1457286811138.jpg
668 KB, 2160x3268
>>63146078
>The music I do and listen justifies by itself.
>>
>>63146113
Oh shit, are those thick nipples beneath that shirt? God I didn't know it were possible to find her even more attractive than I already do.
>>
>>63144790
No Baroque was the metal of its time. Classical composers had rules and shit, while baroque composers were a lot less traditional in their works.
>>
>>63144790
I was thinking about this earlier. Why do people think they are similar at all?
>>
>>63144790
>makes up opinion no living human being would ever possess
>asserts this opinion is for fedoras
Why would you even make this thread
>>
>>63144790
I think this is bullshit, but ironically I heard one time from someone who only likes classical music and knows about music more than anything I know (she is the director of my old conservatory, and she is a conductor in many professional orchestras and an amazing pianist) that out of erudite music (a.k.a classical) the only interesting things have been done on metal.
For me the only related genres to classical would be jazz or prog
>>
>>63146143
pasties
>>
>>63146273
Are you joking? Literally just look at the comment section of almost any mainstream classical piece, they're all full of dumb metalheads saying essentially the same as the OP
>>
As heavy metal became more established, bands began to experiment with moving away from blues-based structure and progression, moving into establishing complex polyphony in the interplay between melody, harmony and sub-harmony. This was exemplified by bands such as Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. In some instances these bands were even termed "neoclassical" due to their focus on late medieval chord structures and progressions.

One of the most defining features of modern heavy metal is quite possibly the use of arpeggio. Arpeggios are scales woven together and played at a rapid pace, with various repeats and skips in the scale to provide a rapid, fluttering musical narrative. Arpeggios were a late medieval development best exemplified by composers such as Vivaldi or Stravinsky who featured them heavily.

Where early heavy metal featured a blues modality, employing slow progression within their harmonies and largely flat keys, later bands began to employ a wider structure, employing neoclassical and medieval influences such as open or inverse chords, natural scales and counter-harmonies.
>>
File: descartes.jpg (1 MB, 1122x1600) Image search: [Google]
descartes.jpg
1 MB, 1122x1600
>haha yeah man metal is totally like STRAVINSKY i mean just listen to the DISSONANCE in the rite of spring. i usually listen to METAL but im here to appreciate the GREATS (my favourite composers are holst and mahler). if stravinsky were alive now hed listen to METAL hahah yeah man fucking DISSONANCE DUDE DIMINISHED FIFTHS LMAO DUDE BERLIOZ LMAO FUCKINGGGG METAL \m/
>>
File: 1455677615469.png (1 MB, 699x699) Image search: [Google]
1455677615469.png
1 MB, 699x699
>>63146373
>Arpeggios are scales woven together and played at a rapid pace
kill urself (that statement is wrong)
>>
>>63146239
No. Baroque is full of rules. Classical only has some. Baroque have so many rules that you can write an incomplete fugue and there is only one way to end it, so another composer can finish it. In the baroque period composers sends to others incomplete contrapuntal exercices as a challenge.

>Also, almost every metal song breaks baroque rules, cause the rule number one is that consecutive fifths are forbidden and metal is based on fifths. There is no counterpoint in metal (not in most of metal). So there is no fucking way that metal is related to baroque
>>
>>63144790
Yep, classical invented dissonant chugging, syncopated rhythms and technical playing.

Le Sacre du Printepts is pretty much metal and it was written in 1912:

(make sure you listen at maximum volume for a more "metal" experience)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MzuKKN1ZX8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiH3vA7q0jo

Metal is like a retarded cousin of classical. It thinks its smart and brutal, but it fails to make use of any of the elements that make classical great. Things like dynamics, counterpoint, and form. The amount of metal songs that are intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-outro is embarrassing.

Classical even to this day is more brutal, more technical, and requires more diligence to listen to.

This for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piBqsmYcj0s
most metal heads just wouldn't have the patience or insight to enjoy music like this. its too complex and disjointed for them.
>>
>>63146548
Most composers didn't follow the rules though, they just wrote what sounded good to them. It was called "free counterpoint" for a reason.

I guarantee if I give you an unfinished Bach fugue, you wouldn't be able to finish it the way it was intended. Thats one of the reason's the last piece of Art of Fugue remains unfinished 300 years later. No one has dared to touch it.
>>
>>63146373
Arpeggios aren't scales, are chords. Every music genre has arpeggios, folk, jazz, techno, every!

Every genre of music use open and inverse chords too. Inverse chords are most common in pop or rock than in classical

>flat key as a characteristic resource of a genre
This is on another level of ignorance

Seriously, research a little about what you read before posting it
>>
>>63144790
Yes, actually.
>>
File: METAL DOOD.png (108 KB, 247x389) Image search: [Google]
METAL DOOD.png
108 KB, 247x389
>>63146753
but dood they play in FLAT KEYS

FLAT KEYS
>>
>>63146736
Ok, that's true but classical composers breaks the rules too. And most of times Bach brakes a rule, he had a good excuse to brake it.
>>
>>63146855
hahahhahaha
>>
>>63144790
Well... Wagner composed shit for octobass and that's metal as fuck.
>https://youtu.be/FP1QqtGe8ts?t=1m23s
>>
>>63146373
this is amazing bait. mind if i copy it for later?
>>
>>63147249
no it is mine you can't have it i paid good money
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.