[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything more creatively bankrupt than "sampling"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: sample station.png (363 KB, 513x426) Image search: [Google]
sample station.png
363 KB, 513x426
Is there anything more creatively bankrupt than "sampling"?
>>
>>63074164
listening to music and never even attempting to create anything
>>
guaranteed_replies.jpeg
>>
>>63074164
Memes
>>
>>63074164
remixes.
Unless you're speaking about "I took this song, and added a kick on the start of the beat so now it's mine". This is absolute cancer.
>>
>>63074368

>So what do you think of my remix
>It sounds exactly the same as the original
>Bro, didn't you hear the airhorns?

Legit convo from my college days
>>
sampling is a legitimate production tool for people who dont have the talent to compose for themselves
>>
>>63074528

This

It's perfectly fine to use, but let's not lie to ourselves about what it actually is
>>
>>63074528
Couldn't you just perform a standard? Do you lack playing ability as well as composing ability?
>>
>>63074164
well being a musician in an orchestra or whatnot is just preforming a composition someone else wrote, no creativity required. Maybe if you're a solo performer you "creatively" play around with a piece, same with conductor. But they're still far less creative (in that position) than actual composers, or even arrangers.
>>
>>63074622
why would you want to do all the extra work just to make some fag online happy? its the same result. stop being a fag.
>>
>>63074622
that is even less creative than making sample based music.
>>
>>63074179
some people were never meant to create. it's better for them to never attempt than to bring more derivative trash to this world
>>
>>63074164
it's why rap is a regressive genre. soul, funk, jaz players were so nuanced and inventive.
>>
I think sampling's ok if you use it to create something completely different than what you sampled, or if you sample stuff and just implement it into something you've already written. But most of the time it's just sections of songs broken up then rearranged (sometimes they even have a drum beat being played over it!) so I guess it depends.

You can play guitar or piano and have as little creativity as most DJs these days, so it's not really what you do it's how you do it.
>>
Musicians were using samples creatively since the 70s (ex: the distorted Beatles sample on Faust's self-titled album).

People who hate sampling think it's literally just copying and pasting which is *sometimes* true but with actual good albums it's a lot more complex than that.
>>
>>63074770
I don't agree. It's better to create something shit, and keep it to yourself, but get that experience and be entertained, than to never even attempt anything
>>
File: Jazz-player-John-Coltrane-006.jpg (23 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Jazz-player-John-Coltrane-006.jpg
23 KB, 460x276
>>63074746
I'm sorry I thought you meant good music.
>>
>>63074528
autotune is a legitimate production tool for people who dont have the talent to sing for themselves
>>
>>63074979
Here's where I come in. Nobody is going to keep their shitty creation to himself. Now that the internet exists the spread of his trash is an inevitability. If he performed some standards he could gain fame as a performer and become a session musician who records music with other people and isn't required to create anything. If he does your shitty sample thing, all he can manage to do is propagate the idea that sampling other music and calling it a creation is a good thing to do. Would you like a thousand more Macintosh Pluses in the world? I wouldn't.
>>
ITT people who know jack shit about production techniques decide to criticize them
>>
>>63075144
>Nobody is going to keep their shitty creation to himself.

Pretty sure I have harddrives full of shitty creations I've never revealed to anyone.
>>
>>63074192
/thread
>>
>>63075158
Of course you do, Ringo.
>>
>>63074992
>he thinks the ripping off coltrane, etc. is good music
might as well be Wynton Marsalis.

and you realize creativity is a major facet of being able to improvise, that's like calling Rostropovich or Gould "bad"
>>
>>63075144
I don't mind him sharing it. Even if he does - think of thousands of bandcamp pages you have never and will never visit. What is the probability that you will ever listen to it, that one shit album someone made by playing around in FL Studio one afternoon? Epsilon, I recon.

Besides, just because I don't like something and think it's trash doesn't mean it doesn't have a right to exist. Not saying you must think like that, but for me it's a reasonable way to approach this subject.
>>
>>63075149
also people who know jack shit about creative bankruptcy.
>>
>>63075214
/thread
>>
>>63075149
>production techniques
If you're talking about production when you mean creating a song, your music is probably vapid of any creativity.
>>
>>63074164
yeah, being a /mu/tant
>>
may I just point out that OP is horribly inadequate in his definitions.......

if you play a electronic drumset this is "sampling", the sounds were "sampled"

here's another one, what about all the compositions/songs that are "arguably ripped off of " similar other songs?

I'm telling you your definitions are shit.

just because I write something original and perform something original, doesn't mean it doesn't rip off something else.

it is possible to be more "creative" with a sampler than it is a violin. like lennon said, he was an artist, you could give him a tuba and he'd bring you something.

the medium doesn't matter. just because you've created a definition in your head of what is or is not creative doesn't make your viewpoint valid. there are countless unoriginal technically "talented" musicians
>>
>>63075273
How is that a /thread? All he is proving is that he doesn't listen to jazz.

>>63075214
Fake books were a thing and still are a thing to the extent that Real Books are a thing. Literally all you need to know to be able to improvise is to hear a chord change and know which notes go over it. Your vaporwave trannies could easily accomplish it if they ever thought of putting effort into their work.
>>
i always sample single tones/noises. with that i'm rebuilding new songs. its just another great and funny way to create music.
you can also listen to the stuff i made if youre bored:
https://soundcloud.com/doktorp
>>
https://youtu.be/gONq4dvl9BY?t=297
>>
>>63075412
thanks. couldnt have written it better
>>
>>63074164

Having sex with your mom
>>
let me put it this way, to continue.

to "improvise" to most people is muscle memory. I can "improvise" a melody out of the major scale over a progression.

that doesn't mean its creative...its using boxes, muscle memory, a "lick library" in your brain, to form something "new", but who said it was better?

imagine me playing a piece, and I switch out a well known melody with two or three notes that make it "different", did I create this?

The problem is, no one claimed or objectively stated what can be "better" than anything else.

It is completely possible that a "sampler" does something completely "original" composed of separate loops/parts of things he didn't make "from scratch", he might not have access to a studio, but still wants professional sounds.

also bait

also this thread is fucking retarded

I can't believe people are this stupid, fuck off OP

the worse part is, you'd think I was mad because I sample, when in reality I don't, you're just retarded
>>
File: cover_481417822010.jpg (25 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
cover_481417822010.jpg
25 KB, 300x300
That's the same as covering to me in a way. You can make it original. For example Paranoid Android by Consider the Source.
>>
>>63075425
so you're saying whatever garbage a faggot in a middle school jazz ensemble improvises or even Wynton Marsalis is more creative than what DJ Shadow, etc. have done?
>>
>>63075337
What rappers don't understand. If your music was good it wouldn't need that to impress people.
>>
>>63075337
>I don't know what music production is
Whatever you say my man
>>
B-b-but muh c-cultural recontexualization!
>>
>>63075843

you mean appropriation
>>
>>63075621
If a random video from youtube is representative of an artist's work, I'm going to say yes.
>>
>>63075893
I meant what I said, buster brown.
>>
>>63075952

Well better turn a 360 and walk the fuck into my fist, honky
>>
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 382x132) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 382x132
>>63074164
>>63074179
>>63074528
>>63074724
>>63074939
>>63074955
>>63075144
>>63075269
>>63075412
>>63075425
>>63075580
>>63075621
>>63075685
really depends on what you mean by sampling.

Sampling synths/ rompler > analog

I want the electric guitar to sound like the electric guitar, i want the violins to sound like violins, i want the drums to sound like drums, i want the schnozberries to taste like schnozzberries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m00W14KqqOo
>>
>>63075929
my god what a pleb
>>
File: 250px-Daphnia_pulex.png (63 KB, 250x285) Image search: [Google]
250px-Daphnia_pulex.png
63 KB, 250x285
>>63076388
Thank you for devaluing the meaning of the word pleb. Go somewhere else before you start using words like 'problematic' and 'wank'.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.