[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of Pantera?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: 61LNFb0OpWL.jpg (89 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
61LNFb0OpWL.jpg
89 KB, 500x500
What does /mu/ think of Pantera?
>>
fucking embarrassing and bad
>>
memetal
>>
i love this album, also far beyond driven, pantera is gooood
>>
>>63029179
more like Vulgar Display of White Power
>>
RE. SPEK.
>>
absolutely br00tal
>>
File: 1303700229572.jpg (28 KB, 400x350) Image search: [Google]
1303700229572.jpg
28 KB, 400x350
>>63029250
>mfw pantera fans are 100% okay with this
>>
>>63029250
>>63029302

I've met exactly three black guys that are Pantera fans, that was pretty good
>>
>>63029250
I know lots of beaners who love Pantera.
>>
RE
>>
Spandex wig-wearing retards who on January 1, 1990 threw away their clownwear and decided they were br00tal extr33me metal.
>>
theyre good
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws5czt20EkM

yr moshing
>>
>>63029706
SPECT
>>
>>63030018
WOK
>>
"At that time, in the mid-90s, all the great metal bands, the giants of the genre, were softening their sound and moving to a more commercial format. We felt the only thing we could do was just keep playing our way, as heavy as our style permitted."

-- Phil Anselmo
>>
WOK
>>
Their "debut" Cowboys from Hell is phenomenal.

Phil Anselmo's vocal performance on that record is legendary, and I really wish he would have continued the thrashy + falsetto mix on the other albums. That scream at the end of "Cemetery Gates" is a once in a lifetime kind of occurrence.

The albums that proceeded Cowboys were pretty good as well, but Vinnie Paul's fat fucking ass refuses to re-release them.
>>
No band is perfect, but Pantera have few glaring faults.

>albums are largely free from filler tracks
>lyrics completely grounded in realism - up to this time, most metal was nothing but wizards, witches, attacking space monsters, fedora anti-religion rants, and nuclear armageddon
>bassist who understands the proper way to play bass instead of two notes for every one note the guitarist plays
>were absolute demons live
>and finally, like the Beatles and Zeppelin, broke up when their decade was over so didn't drag on past their prime to become a Spinal Tap parody of a rock band
>>
>>63030034
WHAT DID YOU SAY?
>>
Dime's peak as a guitarist were on the hair metal records. IDK how people can wank to that chugga-chugga shit of his.
>>
>>63030583
Realistic lyricism like tough redneck posturing.
>>
>>63030583
Forgot.

>not morbidly obsessed with speed
>>
Why does he look Mexican?
Why is his last name Spanish?
>>
>>63030702
Pantera conjures up every 90s white trash stereotype you can think of. It's the soundtrack of WWF Smackdown matches. Mouth For War makes you imagine Stone Cold and The Rock going at it.
>>
File: 1368479970143.jpg (40 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1368479970143.jpg
40 KB, 300x400
>>63029179
worse than sellout era Metallica
>>
>>63030583
>lyrics completely grounded in realism - up to this time, most metal was nothing but wizards, witches, attacking space monsters, fedora anti-religion rants, and nuclear armageddon

Kind of...Pantera essentially fused metal with 90s alternative rock.
>>
I get the feeling that to appreciate Pantera you either need to be from Texas or live in a trailer park.
>>
>>63030583
This is pretty accurate. My one thing about Pantera is that I don't like that very clicky drum sound they had.
>>
The oppressive atmosphere in Great Southern Trendkill is something special. Beneath that fake tough guy sound was a good band that could make good music.
>>
>>63031388
Shades of And Justice For All, no?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujt5CCeGdhY

Nuremberg, 1992. This is very funny to watch - Phil is very polite and gentlemanly to the crowd, then they break into Fucking Hostile in the blink of eye.
>>
I don't fuck my sister, so I can't say I'm a fan.
>>
>>63031431
It's almost worse because at least everything else sounds bad on ...AJFA too.
>>
>>63031526
And I don't watch WWE, so...
>>
NEVER FORGET THAT PANTERA BIRTHED THE VIRUS OF NU METAL.
>>
>>63031786
So should we dig up Cobain's carcass and put it on trial for causing Puddle of Mudd?
>>
>>63032000
Nirvana should have been the end. The whole appeal of the band was how jaded, hopeless and out-of-it they were, and everyone could see Cobain's spiral towards addiction and death. You don't make a Part 2 to that. You leave it be.

Besides, all the good music that came out of alternative had ties to Husker Du and the Pixies. Nu metal doesn't have those ties, it's just "hey let's make ourselves sound grungy like Nirvana"
>>
People are confusing a few things. What >>63032230 is talking about is the horrible post-grunge radio crud like Nickelback and Staind, all power chords, fake tough guy sensitivity, and Eddie Vedder impersonations. It was a parody of alternative rock more than anything. Nu metal was more like chugga chugga groove guitar and screaming about I hate my mom. And it was much less commercial than post-grunge.

But in the same vein, Pantera's sound derived from Phil's interest in hardcore punk and extreme metal. Bands like A7X were just trying to poorly copy Pantera.
>>
>>63029837
Would upvote if I could.
>>
>>63029837
At least they became something unique and awesome instead of the embarrassing attempts of Motley Crue and Def Leppard to adapt to the 90s. Besides, Phil had a legitimate metal pedigree and wasn't part of the band during the hair metal period anyway.
>>
File: giphy.gif (312 KB, 267x199) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
312 KB, 267x199
>>63032496
>have no clue what A7X is
>Google it
>>
>>63029250
kek
>>
Rob Halford for a while became obsessed with Pantera and tried to start a project called Fight. He even donned bike shorts in imitation of them. Fight only released two albums that sucked dick, but hey, it was worth a shot.
>>
>>63030664
>>63030096
Well, yeah but the hair metal stuff was still a bit unique and different owing to their Texas background as opposed to the SoCal sound of Motley Crue et al.
>>
>>63029302
i'm a pantera fan and I'm okay with that because I get down with negroes
>>
>>63029179
Disliking Pantera is pretty reddit tbqh. They have some good songs such as "great southern trend kill" and " I'm broken"
>>
Hollow is quite nice as well although they never played the melodic first half of the song live.
>>
>>63030702

>tough redneck posturing.

That's like 15% of their lyrics though. They have as many songs about being manly as Black Flag have about politics, i.e. not a lot.
>>
Lame ass band that ripped off another band(Exhorder) because Glam Metal was dead then jumped on a big label and all their fans assumes.. whatever they did they "invented"
>>
>>63035464
Forgot to post the link, you decide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgukizxZ5QM
>>
>>63035437

For real though.

Songs about ass kicking:

>Cowboys from Hell
>Mouth for War
>A New Level
>Walk
>Piss
>5 Minutes Alone
>Use My Third Arm (which is also terrible)
>War Nerve
>We'll Grind That Axe for a Long Time (debatable)
>Uplift

Wow, 10 out of over 65 tracks! Even Motorhead have more hypermasculine songs, both proportionately and a larger number songs. Nobody ever game them shit for it though. I wonder why?
>>
>>63035500

>2016
>people are still holding on to the exhorder meme

Why Exhorder? Why not something that actually influenced Pantera? Like late Black Flag, early Swans, Helmet, crossover memes like To Mega Therion, or even Kill 'Em All?
>>
>>63035632
>I-It's just pure coincidence
Phil even said he was a big fan of Exhorder and wore their shirts at the time and they were all cool with it, but I really doubt it.
>>
The Great Southern Trendkill is one of the greatest metal albums ever. Straight up.
>>
>>63035681

I mean Pantera sounds like so many previous bands since it's a Rock band and Rock is fundamentally derivative and that's ok. But, of all their influences, why keep mentioning Exhorder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dl7uw9tXg0

This would fit right in with with the slower tracks on CFH like The Sleep or Medicine Man. Phil even sounds like Henry for entire verses on that album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjPRTW3aOPs

This is could very well be on VDOP, the aesthetic is almost 1:1, guitar tone and everything.

Why keep mentioning Exhorder?

>because exhorder is arguably their most obscure influence (if it is one at all, I'm not convinced) and metalfriends are 2cool4school

heh
>>
>>63035570
What about AC/DC where 100% of their sounds were about kicking ass.
>>
File: 1454286954258.jpg (61 KB, 365x960) Image search: [Google]
1454286954258.jpg
61 KB, 365x960
WOK ON HOME BOI
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.