[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Bands that would be amazing if they stopped fucking around.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9
File: the1975.jpg (20 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
the1975.jpg
20 KB, 720x720
ITT: Bands that would be amazing if they stopped fucking around.
>>
How do you define fucking around?
>>
>>62997544
I guess I'm just saying "bands that have potential".

Like The 1975 would be amazing if they stopped fucking around with pop and 80s shit.
>>
>>62997582
They'd be amazing if they stopped pandering to their Tumblrcore fanbase and if the singer dropped his fucking annoying accent and toned down a bit with his weird ass way of singing. Also if they experimented a bit more.
>>
>>62997582
Oh, you mean what they're most renown for?
>>
>>62997714
That's pretty much what I'm saying, but in different words.

>>62997759
Yeah, but you can definitely hear the potential for some next level shit in their songs. They're like musical gurus who are content with making shit for 15 y/o girls, but subtly let their genius show in their songs.
>>
Why would you think they have the potential or longing to produce anything better than they currently do
>>
>>62998880
I honestly concur with this. They're a tight af band of young men who know what they're doing but they could do so much better.
>>
>>62999513
>>Why would you think they have the potential

>Great songwriting
>Wide array of influences including Shoegaze, R&B, and dark ambient
>Diverse range of tones and textures

Songs like Talk! and Undo are great examples of them letting their genius slip through.
>>
bamp
>>
>>62999691

>Talk!
>thinking the worst (but still good) song on the first album is where they show their genius
And they use those things you mentioned all over the place. Since you've heard this new album, what about it makes you think they HAVEn't stopped fucking around?

>>62997714
>if they experimented a bit more
but
>tone down his weird way of singing
?
Try listening to their new album. They do a great amount of moving between accessible/more 'normal' sounds and an even wider variance then they showed on their first album (more akin to the EPs, that usually had an ambient track surrounded by 'hits')
>>
>>63001342
Talk is the best song on the album, fuck outta here.

And I haven't given it a full listen yet, but from the songs I've heard, they're still clinging to that pop sound pretty hard.
>>
>>63001646
...simply, disagreed. That hook and those few "doot, doo-doo" guitar notes is the most annoying chorus bit on the album.

And they're good at 'that pop sound'. If you've only heard the singles, then there's your problem.
It's really cool how they start the album with that sound, and then wax/wane between being more meditative and beautiful and then going back to that sound. + the production is stellar throughout. Someone on here described the album as sounding like how it feels to lay in bed with someone you love, which is actually apt...this thing's fuckin' warm & cozy.

But yeah, if you thought they could be good but were 'fucking around' before, listen to this new one as soon as possible.
Further, it's amicable for them to push the boundaries of what the normally-pop-ONLY fangirl fanbase listens to by putting their range of styles on this long album. Makes me very proud of them.
>>
>>63001832
>>simply, disagreed. That hook and those few "doot, doo-doo" guitar notes is the most annoying chorus bit on the album.
>I don't know what syncopation is, and can't handle anything even remotely experimental

Good to know.

Despite your pleb tastes, I'll give the rest of the album a listen. And naw, I just listened to the first six tracks.
>>
File: bones2.jpg (50 KB, 450x566) Image search: [Google]
bones2.jpg
50 KB, 450x566
Bones.

He has some amazing songs and a fantastic group of producers behind him. If he could focus and make a consistent album it would be GOAT. Useless was decent, but nothing he released was as good and consistent as Garbage.
>>
>>63002133
Ha.
"Can't handle" ≠ knows isn't great. Hell, the drums with the verses are good. It's just the main hook.
Judging by what you've said you can't come to terms with the fact that pop and a 'pop sound' can be brilliant.

Surprising that If I Believe You didn't strike you. She's American is like any song from the first album pushed to 125% - they know how to do what they used to even better, now. And A Change of Heart is wonderfully simple and has that gorgeous synth melody.

Hope you enjoy the thing as a whole.
These guys remind me of Tears for Fears, what with pop at the core, but so much more quality going on on top of that.
>>
File: shbokjlc.jpeg.jpg (47 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
shbokjlc.jpeg.jpg
47 KB, 300x300
>>
>>63002191
Bones is all production, a style which is and has been stale for years now. His lyricism is embarrassing, as is his incredibly try-hard nu-witchhouse aesthetic.
>>
>>63002570
>Judging by what you've said you can't come to terms with the fact that pop and a 'pop sound' can be brilliant.

Maybe I'm just not satisfied with it. It's like I hear a good pop song by them, but in the back of my mind, I know they'd sound ten times better if they went in another direction or if they weren't concerned with being "catchy" or "appealing" in every song. They're too afraid to get too ugly.
>>
the new ninneen sevenny fai record is like Robert Palmer and Rick Astley if Robert Palmer and Rick Astley had something worthwhile to say.

sure, they're fuccbois but i wouldn't change 'em
>>
File: The Life of Pablo.jpg (144 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
The Life of Pablo.jpg
144 KB, 1000x1000
>>
>>63002822
I can respect and understand that, but do you think the same of other pop you like? If that was you before, you said you think they may be musical gurus but are concerned with being appealing. So you want them to use their smarts to make more good music, though 'ugly' by comparison? A cool idea.
I actually wonder if they have any of that saved up. Surely they've made stuff like that before? Though they also seem to love the catchiness and grooves of popular songs, and the ability for them to connect with such a large group of people....

Regardless, I think they'll show off some uglier territory on their next release, whenever they get around to it again.

>>63002666
Trips reveal the bs
>>
>>63002719
pretty much this.
it's ear candy with absolutely no depth and there's too fucking much of it.
>>
File: Jack White Lazaretto.jpg (522 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
Jack White Lazaretto.jpg
522 KB, 1500x1500
>>
File: The Front Bottoms Back On Top.jpg (225 KB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
The Front Bottoms Back On Top.jpg
225 KB, 1425x1425
>>62997390
Well as long as we on the topic of underwhelming Tumblrcore...
>>
>>63003120
Lazaretto was pretty good senpai. What didn't you like about it?
>>
>>63003297
It's not bad per se I just think Blunderbuss is superior and I believe he can do better.
>>
>>63003494
I hear you senpai and I get the idea. Lazaretto starts great from Three Women to Just One Drink, but the second half of the album only has its moments. Blunderbuss is more consistent all the way through.
>>
File: Indie Cindy.jpg (354 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
Indie Cindy.jpg
354 KB, 1500x1500
>>
File: a2926324161_10.jpg (198 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a2926324161_10.jpg
198 KB, 1200x1200
this thread is the definition of RUI.
>>
I really enjoy Menswear.
>>
>>63002822
>>63002983
I think their whole like philosophy (outside of blurring genre lines) is to go back to a period when people made extremely well-composed, well-respected music that was still classified as "pop".

There's definitely some stuff about the album that's "ugly" from a pop sensibility (Lostmyhead is 5 minutes of MBV worship, a good chunk of the songs drag on well past the 4 minute mark, etc.), and the ambient stuff from the EPs definitely won't make it to the radio.

I don't necessarily think that to be "ugly" necessarily means you have to not be catchy or appealing, but I think you have to be just-so out of the "pop" box
>>
File: download (1).jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
10 KB, 225x225
absolutely embarassing.
>>
>>63003270
i thought this immediately. front bottoms just needs to step back and stop appealing to tattooed chubby dyed hair fucks
>>
>>62997390
Already amazing
>>
>>63003270
Their old shit was so good. New stuff bored me, so I dropped it. Should I try again?
>>
>>63005926

It would've been a good album for some other bands, but as far as Coheed albums go, yeah I listened to it off and on for a couple weeks and haven't listened to it since until just now because you reminded me it existed. There are two tracks on my play counter that are still just at 2.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.