[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Downward Spiral or The Fragile?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 534x275) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 534x275
/mu/ let's settle this. Which NIN album is GOAT: TDS or The Fragile?
>>
Still
>>
Fragile Spiral
>>
the fragile. TDS is edgy school shooter-core
>>
Broken
>>
OP here

I'm going with TDS. The Fragile just has too much filler IMO. Also Starfuckers is one of the most shit NIN songs. Still okaytier, nowhere near godtier.
>>
TDS
>>
>>62961924
>implying starfuckers inc. isn't edgier than all of downward spiral put together

pleb get off /mu/
>>
pretty fragile broken spiral machine
>>
>>62962012
This.
>>
>>62961976
if you already had a personal preferred album why the fuck did you make this thread

GTFO.
>>
>>62962354
Uh...?

Because I wanted to know what other people prefer? I'm not the only person who listens to NIN, you moron.

Imagine being this ignorant.
>>
why does one have to be better
>>
>>62961855
TDS > Year0 > Ghosts > PHM > Broken > With Teeth > Fragile > Hesitation Marks > Slip

Still / AATCHB > Quake > TFA > Further down the spiral > Fixed

>hardcore ninnie
>>
>>62962524
Whoa this is a great list. I'm actually okay with the Fragile being so far down the list. (w_t doesn't get enough praise tbqh)
Although I wouldn't put YZ so high, I like the placings of every album.

Still <3
>>
>>62962737
Thanks! Yeah With Teeth is so good, a lot of people shun it because it's not as abrasive as say, Broken or TDS but some of the best tracks are there. The bonus version has Non Entity and Home, some of the best NIN tracks.

New NIN this year I think also.

And All that Could Have Been is the best track ever, it's crushing.

>has anyone seen the Broken movie? It's pretty fucked up.
>>
>>62962524

>Hesitation Marks above Quake

Fuck you, anon, Hesitation Marks has got to be the worst original album Reznor has ever put out. Quake's OST is pretty good for being OST too.

Everything else is acceptable, though. Although I switch PHM with Ghosts, Fragile with WT, but that's about it.
>>
>>62962870

>Broken movie

wat, there's a movie? Jeez, I shudder just thinking about it.
>>
>>62962982
Quake was in a separate sub-list. The first list was main projects.
>>
>>62963020

Oh. Sorry then.
>>
Most artists' double albums aren't as good as their single album output. In most cases you have to be a major fan to really appreciate double albums.

I think TDS is the better album, but, as a NIN fan, I really, really love The Fragile.
>>
>>62961855
The Fragile Disc 1 > The Downward Spiral > The Fragile Disc 2
>>
>>62963075
To really appreciate The Fragile to the fullest extent one really should watch the AATCHB DVD. It really sets the tone for everything.

>np

What I could gather from The Broken Movie
https://youtu.be/j4hz6tssOFM

I also forgot about The Social Network OST, that was amazing
>>
>>62962997

I suggest starting with the video for Happiness in Slavery.
>>
>>62962870
And All That Could Have Been is the saddest song that Trent has ever made, in my opinion. He NAILED (pun unintended) the suicide tones in it, I mean Hurt and La Mer and A Warm Place were fantastic but it's AATCHB's lyrics that make it shine above them.

I have to watch the Broken movie. How fucked up is it?
>>
>>62962524
Nah

Fragile > TDS > Broken > PHM > Ghosts > Hesitation Marks > With Teeth > Year 0 > Slip
>>
>>62963075
I am also a huge NIN fan and though I adore The Fragile, TDS is my heart favorite. I like the idea of The Fragile being a sequel, though. TBQH it's hard to compare the two because where TDS is driven by ferocious, primal, agonising emotion, The Fragile is more centred on the afterthoughts of depressing times. I also think that TDS follows a storyline is a massive factor as to why it's the better album (because let's be honest, The Fragile would have been NIN's GOAT if 1) it was a concept album, and 2) Starfuckers wasn't on it)

>>62963094
Kek anon you can't do that
>>
>>62963431
>hesitation marks above with_teeth

pleb get off mu right now
>>
>>62963363
kek that music video is so tame
>>
>>62963363

Just watch the Gave Up one. Pretty gruesome stuff, jesus.
>>
>>62961855
OFFICIAL POWER RANKINGS

G > TDS > YZ > PHM > HM > F> TS > ET
>>
>>62963528
The Gave Up one is a part of the Broken movie though.

>I'm assuming you don't mean the cute angsty one with Marilyn Manson shot at cielo drive?
>>
>>62963431

>Hesitation Marks above With Teeth
>Hesitation Marks above Year 0

Dude, how? I fucking fell asleep while trying to listen to HM.

>>62963565

Yeah, it's the last part to the movie, right? The one where the masked guy cuts the tied up guy and chops off his dick?
>>
>>62963556
>>62963556
You must be a very deep level of pleb to put Ghosts as your top NIN album. Kek. Gtfo.

Also this list makes (year) zero sense. Come back when a sentence you can form.
>>
>>62963590
>The one where the masked guy cuts the tied up guy and chops off his dick?
Yeah but if you're gonna watch the Gave Up clip from the film you might as well watch the whole movie.

The second (MM) version of Gave Up is so far removed from the Broken movie version. It's almost kinda funny.

Anyone here seen the Help Me I Am In Hell clip? Thoughts?
>>
>>62963663

Alright, will do. Not now though, I gotta wake up at 7 AM and it's already 2:36 AM. I'm out for the night.
>>
>>62963710
Noooo stay up and talk NIN with me. This board is so full of Kanyefags and contrarians that it's nice to find someone who doesn't think NIN is "Muh edgy teen music"

staaaaaay anon
>>
>>62962524
This dude here. I'll stay up and talk NIN
>>
>>62963741

...fuck, tomorrow's going to suck.

Fine, anon, but only because you're the only /mu/tant I've ever gotten along with. This is actually the first time I've been on this board in months, maybe years. I'm watching the Happiness in Slavery excerpt as we speak.
>>
>>62963816
List dude again.I think we're all getting along fine, the Happiness in Slavery Video is just hard to watch. It's always stood out to me. The beginning of the Broken movie I've seen many years ago opened with a man being dragged into a van away from his white picket fence neighborhood, into a warehouse and doused with gasoline
>>
>>62961855

TDS. and it's not even close.
>>
>>62963855
Sorry I meant the Help me I am in Hell video. His vocals in Broken are almost demented, like at the end of Last where he screams "throw me away"
>>
>>62963816
How do you like the video? (AYRT here by the way. Thanks for staying up!)

I actually love the HiS video. It's so unique. And I love the very end bit especially.
>>
>>62963855

Well, yeah, I just can't stand the usual /mu/tant and the gimmicky music they listen to. Then again, I haven't been here since 2014.

Has anything changed here, at all? Other than people suddenly disliking NMH all the sudden, I think it's pretty much stayed the same.

>>62963920

It's cringey in the way that it's physically painful to watch that damn machine prick the guy the way it does, but it's fucking awesome.
>>
>>62963614
What's wrong with this?

Ghosts was easily his best.
>>
>>62963855
It's a great EP. I've yet to watch the movie myself (I want to watch it but tbqqqqh I'm scouting around for a VHS copy because I'm a shameless physical copy whore)

Last is the GOAT of that EP though. Hands down.

(The Help Me I Am In Hell video I've seen is the one with the guy eating the flies. Trippy, unsettling stuff.)
>>
>>62963937
Just trends rising and falling, and a lot of division over stupid shit. I think you could find the original on ebay and there was also Closure VHS, I think that's a halo if memory serves right.
>>
>>62963937
>has anything changed
People flood the board with Grimes waifu threads and there was this time where there was nothing but Bowie Is Dead threads. So there's that.

>fucking awesome
Yup. One of my fav NIN music videos. So fucking aggressive.
>>
>>62963961
Were we even listening to the same album? It's nowhere near GOATtier.
>>
>>62963971
Same here, good luck finding that. I've been collecting halos and couldn't find it. The best I found was a first edition of Still with a canvas box. The double sided discs might have some of the said videos
>>
loved both

what album should i listen to next
>>
>>62963961

Nah, man. For an instrumental album, it's fucking great and would easily be the magnum opus of another artist that would normally do ambiental stuff. But for NIN? That is not the type of stuff that NIN does. Granted, I'm all for artistic freedom and I love the album for what it is, but I also recognize that it doesn't have anything to do with the NIN name other than the fact that Reznor composed it. There is no real connection between Reznor and that album, figuratively speaking.

Maybe I'm rambling, but hopefully my point got across.

>>62964007

>>62964007

Huh, I'll certainly be on the lookout, it'd be pretty neat to collect all the NIN halos, just like 15-year-old me would've loved to do.

>>62964009

I haven't heard anything from this Grimes dude, but his album art looks like something early Tyler the Creator would do. Is he related to the industrial genre or anything?

>>62964102

If you want aggressiveness, listen to Broken and later on Year Zero (I like to think of YZ as a spiritual successor to TDW). If you want something more sexual, listen to Pretty Hate Machine. If you want something more depressing, listen to With Teeth and later on Ghosts.
>>
>>62964102
Year Zero if those two albums were your style
>>
>>62964152
I agree with you on Ghosts. You made my night asking about the "dude" known as Grimes! She's good, but I don't even want to go further than that. She has torn this board to shreds
>>
>>62964152
The Great Below, Non Entity, And All That Could Have Been, Right Where It Belongs, Mr. Self Destruct, Piggy, Reptile, Hurt, Eraser, The Day The World Went Away, Wish, Last, Suck, Sin. Some instant favorites that come to mind. I know I'm neglecting a lot of material, sorry for my poor memory
>>
>>62964218

huh, color me surprised.

>>62964296

Those are some great songs and all, but what are you referring to, anon?
>>
>>62961855

TDS
>>
>>62964367
Nothing really, I'm just tired and scatterbrained and this is pretty much /nin/ General now.

Closure, the uploader has the entirety broken up in parts. Mostly a live video.
https://youtu.be/44z5USNBzb0
>>
>>62964493

Alright. Considering I just finished the Broken film (had to pause at a few moments to take in the rawness, not really used to that sort of stuff anymore.), I'll watch it.

Wonder where that other anon went.
>>
>>62964514
Wow, where did you find it? Probably sleeping lol. Hopefully we can keep the thread alive. I'll find some rare NIN to share
>>
Fuck, I wish I was born early enough to have been able to go to a NIN concert playing TDW/Broken.

Considering that Trent got old and married, we'll never see that kind of rawness from him ever again.
>>
>>62963816
>>62963855
>>62963920
Why don't you guys get a room and just blow each other already, christ.
>>
>>62964562

Google "broken film 1993" and search it on Videos, it should be a 20 minute long movie

Word of advice, this is some pretty heavy stuff.
>>
>>62964640

Go back to your Kanye threads, you fucking faggot.
>>
>>62964563
Probably right but we'll see. The pain and isolation he felt really drove NIN for a long time, and he's at a different stage in his life now so we'll see.

>>62964641
I've seen it before, it's pretty fucked. I will watch it again though thanks.

Also, I neglected to mention purest feeling https://youtu.be/UR26Fo1972c
>>
>>62964694
The poster of that vid is incorrect, it did not come out in 94, it was pre-PHM
>>
>>62964694

I thought Purest Feeling was a bootleg album? Still rad find, though.
>>
>>62961855
his bitch wench from htda made him half decent. so, htda. tell maynard/tool to hurry up and make another album.
>>
>>62964740
I think it was a demo of PHM, some good songs are on it but it doesn't touch halo one.

>>62964746
I think NIN and Tool are releasing albums this year.
>>
>>62964746

I thought HTDA was a project they decided to start together? And what does Maynard have to do with it?

And yeah, HTDA is notoriously underrated/under-appreciated

>>62964780

NIN is releasing this year? Eh, I don't know. You know it's bad when you're more hyped for a new Pendulum album than a NIN album
>>
>>62964780
PHM was halo two, I'm fucked up
>>
>>62964803
Absolutely. I'm glad Trent got his shit together for his sake and he's made really good projects since then.

NIN / Aphex Twin - At The Heart of it All
https://youtu.be/ixA_fC-cLzQ
>>
The Fragile
>>
>>62964916
3rd best post ive seen all week.
>>
>>62964924
And the others?
>>
>>62964066
It was on EBay once but I was an idiot and didn't buy it in time :(

>>62964367
I have the closure collection on VHS, and is pretty cool but Trent made some questionable choices about the music video collection. Perfect Drug over Burn? :(

>>62964514
>other anon
I'm back! I had a piano lesson, sorry.

>>62964563
I feel this so hard
>tfw eighteen
>tfw Trent rarely tours my country :(
I wish I was around for the TDS era. The Closure docco has the best live footage of any concert I've ever seen of any band, tbqh.

>>62964640
I disappear for an hour and I come back to this. Classic /mu/.

>>62964641
>heavy stuff
I'm so pumped to watch it.

>>62964694
Purest Feeling is so good. Love the random and out of place saxophone. Thank god that did not make the final cut.

>>62964780
Fuck yeah new NIN 2016.

>>62964803
Eh, HTDA is kind of eh. Not anywhere near the godtier that was Trent's earlier stuff.

>>62964809
?
>>
>>62964906
It's pretty amazing Aphex Twin wrote that song without even hearing TDS. It slots into place perfectly.
>>
>>62961855
Downward Spiral
>>
That reminds me, I was bored a few weekends ago and I made a playlist of all Trent's TDS remixes in order of the TDS track list. Listening to it in full is weird as fuck. It's like hearing a completely different album, even though the songs are fundamentally the same.
>>
>>62964906

Of course, I wish the best for Trent Reznor (Especially after The Fragile, holy shit), but ever since Year Zero, I feel like he should lay the Nine Inch Nails title to rest and focus on new kinds of work. I was so glad when I found out about HTDA, and even more glad when he worked with Atticus in both Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Gone Girl and The Social Network.

I mean, I bought Hesitation Marks the day it came out, and I bought the deluxe edition to boot because I was a hardcore fan by then. When I was hearing it in my car, I never felt more disappointed about music in my life before. It was the ultimate let down. I loved the two singles that came out that summer and look what the rest of the album had in store. It is truly, to this day, one of the more depressing moments I've had with music to date.

>>62964945

Hey man.
>>
>>62965030
>never felt more disappointed
Yeah, it's a pretty disappointing album. The singles were promising, as you said, which made HM itself all the more underwhelming.

I sort of wish Trent hadn't released it under the NIN name. It's so far removed from NIN it's not even funny (like what that anon said before about the problem with Ghosts; it's just not NIN-feeling.)

>Hey man.
It's good to be back :)
>>
>>62965030
I actually liked Hesitation Marks quite a bit, but I was let down as well, especially after seeing the cover artist was the same as the one who did TDS, thinking it would be a return to form for NIN.

>>62964987
It really is strange. The eraser remixes were my favorite, Reptilian, and The Art of Self-Destruction.
>>
>>62965030
Sorry, same anon who just replied to this. I forgot to mention something

>especially after The Fragile
The entire background of the song La Mer is the most heartbreaking thing ever. Trent moved next to an ocean with intentions of committing suicidw there? That's so sad, man.

That being said, Adrift and At Peace is the perfect finale to that song (and, in my opinion, the entirety of The Fragile). Too bad fucking nobody knows about its existence because it was released only on the official site and not in stores until at least five years later.
>>
>>62965075

I wonder how would fans react if he made up another band title, composing stuff like HM or Ghosts. Hell, I'd love to hear more stuff like Ghosts.

>>62965098

Ah yes, that cover. Fuck, remembering that assumption kinda hurts. Do you remember how everyone was saying that it would be like a combination between Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral?

>>62965100

I remember hearing about Adrift and At Peace, but I never got my hands on it. The Fragile honestly deserves a 20th Anniversary edition. For a double album, the Fragile had quite a few mysterious extras.
>>
>>62965098
Have you tried finding all the alternate versions of the TDS songs and piecing them into an alternate album? It's really an experience. I did mine like:
>The Art of Self-Destruction
>Piggy (Live)
>Heresy (Blind)
>All the Pigs, All Lined Up
>Closer to God
>Ruiner (Version)
>The Becoming (Still)
>Dead Souls
>Underneath the Skin
>At the Heart of it All
>Eraser (Denial;Realisation)
>Reptilian
>The Downward Spiral (The Bottom)
>Hurt (Live, from AATCHB)

Try it if you haven't already. It's different, but it gives the songs so much more meaning than they already have.
>>
>>62965100
It was a bitch paying 140 bucks for Still only to have it reissued for 9. I thought the same thing about La Mer. The last part of The Great Below is so tense, and I think that song runs into La Mer as well, like it does on AATCHB

>As I descend from grace
>in arms of undertow
>I will take my place
>in the great below
>>
>>62965159
>a combination between Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral?
:(

>Adrift and At Peace
Definitely listen to it! The majority of Still is comprised of songs intended for The Fragile but never made the final cut. It's a beautiful song. (Also the Still version of The Becoming is godtier. Literal godtier.)

>20th anniversary
Trent's been pushing that for a while now. It's the record company he's waiting on (they hold all the rights)
>>
>>62962524
>Quake

This has yet to be added to the official /mu/ NIN chart.
>>
>>62965168
I'll have to try that, thanks. I have the tracks I'll put them into a playlist. Where does memorabilia fit into all of this?

I'm glad I didn't see the PHM comparisons, that would have made me disavow it even more.

They should include this in the remaster of The Fragile, it was originally only on the cassette edition.

https://youtu.be/VriXJri8B5M
>>
>>62965174

FUCK, I used to sing that out loud all the time when driving around.

Damn it, the fucking feels from that album. All the anger, all the hate and all the violence that has been festered up ever since Pretty Hate Machine, the same angry phantom that absolutely destroyed Reznor; all of that finally coming to an (almost) end in that last song from the first disk.

>>62965199

Will do, I'll check if there's any lead on those songs anywhere.
>>
>>62965174
>140 bucks
>reissued for 9

I just picked it up off iTunes, haha. I want a CD copy but I have had so much trouble finding one :(

Also, can we discuss how underrated Things Falling Apart is? Because Slipping Away is one of NIN's best yet most underrated b-sides.
>>
>>62965223
Memorabilia doesn't fit in because it's not reaaaaally a NIN song and doesn't go along with the theme of TDS.

>>62965226
The Fragile is great. So great. I love how it can be seen as a follow up to TDS (kek at how Trent stated HM was the "actual" sequel to TDS. Like, for reals? Come on.)

You can find the songs on most digital stores now, I think. Or YouTube. Definitely listen to the acoustic version of Something I Can Never Have (from Still) as well. Trent is a god.
>>
>>62965229
Metal and 10 Miles High as well. My favorite remix album aside from Yearzeroremixed only for the simple fact that you could remix the songs yourself for the first time.

>>62965226
That's pretty much how I would describe it too.

>we mentioned quake, what is the official /mu/ chart?
>>
>>62965223
>They should include this in the remaster of The Fragile, it was originally only on the cassette edition.
Yes, definitely, such an underrated song. I hope a remaster will happen one day soon. It's loooooong overdue.
>>
>>62965279
10 Miles High is great. The only flaw with that album is say is that there are too many Starfuckers remixes. That was such a bad song and I don't need alternate versions of it. I dislike it almost as much as I dislike The Perfect Drug. Cheesy and bland.
>>
>>62965272

Just heard Adrift and at Peace. Wow, that is fucking chilling. Why the hell was that left out of The Fragile? And the acoustic version to Something I Can Never Have is haunting. I related to the original version when I was still in high school, but fuck, I'd be lying if I said that I'm not getting that feeling again.

Also, I think we're forgetting about Year Zero and everything that album stood up for and actually wound up doing back in 2007.
>>
>>62965272
There is a NIN app on the app store, I think all the content is there as well to stream. I don't use iOS anymore though so I wouldn't know.

>>62965347
I have a Year Zero tattoo truth be told. It's a shit cover-up tattoo but it means a lot to me and my personal journey, so I can relate. Whatever happened to that YZ movie he was going to make?
>>
>>62965347
>chilling
I love it. Listening to it is like feeling all the feelings it portrays all at once. I can feel the tension, the emptiness, the relief. It's brilliant. Glad you liked it!
>Something I Can Never Have
>highschool
In my opinion, one of the best songs about unrequited love there is.

>Year Zero
>2007
Not my favourite NIN album, but I do enjoy it. What impact did it have though? (Not bait, just genuinely asking)

Also, check out the Still version of The Becoming. Literal GOAT.
>>
>>62965377
There's an app?

Brb, downloading right now.
>>
>>62965377

IIRC, Reznor wanted to take a long break before coming back to the music industry, and he didn't want to touch NIN again.

>>62965386

Year Zero had that cryptic ARG going on and covered relevant political subjects in a time where most everyone was oblivious to the bullshit the government was up to. The Iraq war and the Bush presidency come to mind.
>>
>>62965415
Ohhhh right. That's cool. I knew it was about the government but I didn't realise that it ran that deep. Man that's genius. A movie would have been so rad.

On an unrelated note, am I in the minority in that I prefer the Version version of Ruiner to the album (TDS original) one? The vocals are clearer in the Version one IMO.
>>
>>62965386
Year Zero prompted a political awakening in me and a desire to start creating electronic my own music. The album was really prolific with the sticker on the back, saying if "be a patriot and report suspicious activity" complete with a number and everything.

Who else followed the goose hunt with the Morse code on the disc?
>>
>>62965446

I wanted to like the Version version, but it's too reminiscent of the god awful early 2000s dance music I kept hearing around when I was in elementary school. Also, Ruiner's lyrics demand for the abrasiveness.

>>62965476

This man. I remember getting into electronic music fused with rock because of Year Zero (And Pendulum, of course, but that's another story).
>>
>>62965502
>I wanted to like the Version version, but it's too reminiscent of the god awful early 2000s dance music I kept hearing around when I was in elementary school. Also, Ruiner's lyrics demand for the abrasiveness.
Fair enough. I can see what you mean, haha. I really like the guitar thrash after "how'd you get so strong". So good.

>Morse code
Yes, I remember that, good times man. That album was an experience.
>>
>>62965539
The ruiner solo is one of my favorite moments on TDS, along with Eraser and the sonic explosion on Mr. Self Destruct

>I am the bullet in the gun! I am the truth from which you run!

nin got me into more industrial, and later dark EDM like Wumpscut even.

Random, but has anyone heard this David Bowie track? It's like the original "A Warm Place"
Which reminds me of "I'm Afraid Of Americans"..
>>
Seeing as the thread topic wrapped up quite nicely, can I suggest a new one?

List your top two NIN songs, not including anything that wasn't released on their main albums (i.e. no remixes, no live versions, etc) and your favourite NIN music video.

For me, top two songs:
>The Becoming
>La Mer

Music video:
>Closer (a classic)
>>
David Bowie - Crystal Japan
https://youtu.be/Xm2ciX0_UP8
>>
>>62965606
>sonic explosion
One of the best moments in any song ever, in my opinion. So good!

>David Bowie
You mean Crystal Japan? Trent cited that as heavy (albeit unintentional) influence on A Warm Place.
>>
>>62965621
I like this, /mu/ needs more NIN. Enough of the same artists on every post.

I can't pick two man, that's cutting it short for me.
I will say Help Me I Am In Hell is my favorite video. There's just nothing quite like it.
>>
>>62965651
Jesus Christ I had that on blast the first time I heard it and hit my head on the ceiling of a Ford Astrovan I was so startled.
>>
>>62965672
Five top songs, then? :3

Help Me I Am In Hell is a really unique video, yeah. It's almost hypnotic.

/mu/ always needs more NIN. I'm not OP but back in January I did start up at least ten NIN General threads. I'm glad this one is still going, and I'm glad someone else but me has set it up this time.

>>62965695
Similar thing happened with me when I listened to The Day The Whole World Went Away. It was late at night when I first heard it, shocked me right out of my skin.
Worth it, though.
>>
>>62965745
Thanks for the posts, maybe the rest of the board will actually even hype the new album.

Top five... And All That Could Have Been (easy number one), Ten Miles High (does that count?) Eraser, Piggy, Right Where It Belongs
>>
>>62965621

>top two

Oh my god, where to even begin.

>The Great Below
>Ruiner

I feel like it's so wrong though, I can't even decide.
>>
>>62965808
>Eraser
All the love to this song. Honestly, it'd be in my top two easy, but I love The Becoming juuuust a tad more.
>Piggy
So underrated! But a true classic.
>AATCHB
This song means so much to me, man. It's perfect. I think this is Trent's lyric skill at its best. That first verse gets me so hard, especially the way he sings it.

Jesus fuck, why is that song so underrated? >:(

>hype the new album
You know it. I'll make sure /mu/ becomes a bunch of ninners before the year is out.
>>
>>62965850
>Ruiner
I love the transition between the end of Closer to this track on TDS.

>YOU DIDN'T HURT ME NOTHING CAN HURT ME YOU DIDN'T HURT ME NOTHING CAN STOP ME NOW
I love the denial in these lines.

Also, the amount of symbolism and themes in TDS is fucking amazing. Unpacking it is so much fun.
>>
>>62965889
>>62965808
>>62965745

/mu/ has always struggled with being huge NIN fans. It's not as if they don't like it, it's more that it's often overlooked. I mean, /mu/ used to adore Death Grips, why not NIN? I dunno, maybe it's just me.

>>62965911

Right? TDW and The Fragile are the two most lyric-rich NIN albums out there, along with Year Zero.
>>
I just remembers something. To the anon who hadn't been here since 2014 and who I convinced to stay up, there is something pretty big you missed. Someone "pretending" to be Trent Reznor (I say that in quotations because none of us know if it was a fake or actually him) posted a sample of a song after I made my third/fourth NIN general.

They were like,
>shut up trent post a clyp.it

And someone with a Trent Reznor trip did exactly that. I still have the link if anyone wants it.

https://clyp.it/u5f32f0z
>>
>>62965947

Huh, weird. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Reznor went to /mu/. He seems like pure 4chan material, especially with his writing in With Teeth and Year Zero.
>>
>>62965928
/mu/ is definitely swaying with the winds of influence. Death Grips General was flooded a week ago and now nobody wants anything to do with them and the thread does as soon as it's begun.

Another random but on the double disc of TDS you can see the album cover up close, with a sorts of shit like teeth, blood, and wire from multiple angles that really adds to the experience. NIN are as good visually as audibly.
>>
>>62965928
The thing with /mu/ is that a lot of /mu/tants do like NIN, but there are rarely any threads about them that it's always forgotten about. I've made it my unofficial goal to unite ninners on this board (because I don't know anyone irl who likes NIN sadly :( )

Trent is actually a very skilled lyricist. That particular trait of his is overlooked quite a lot in favour of his music talent, but shit. The lyrics for AATCHB, The Downward Spiral (the track itself), and The Great Below are prime examples.

>the deepest shade of mushroom blue
Something about that line just stirs up all these feelings in me. How does he do it?
>>
>>62965983
>pure 4chan material
Kek! But to be honest I have my doubts, if he had stuff to share to his fans, I'm sure he'd know to put it somewhere where it'd gather more attention?
The track sounds distinctly like 90s era NIN, but Trent seems occupied with drum machines nowadays, so I have no idea if it's legit or not.

>>62965987
NIN itself is an experience. Visually, musically, lyrically, conceptually, etc. I probably sound like a massive dork but I really think NIN is some of the most toptier, finest music out there.
>>
>>62965995
The lyrics are really vivid on The Downward Spiral. And then there's (the bottom) which goes even further..

>so much blood for such a tiny little hole
>a lifetime of Fucking things up fixed
>In one quick flash

That's a lot for me to think back on.

That clyp sounds great, it very well may be Trent. Thanks for sharing!
>>
>>62965995

Maybe with the upcoming album, /mu/ will talk about it a bit more often. Hesitation Marks definitely had a following prior to it's release.

>>62965987

Definitely. The booklets that come with the albums are great, too. My favorite one is the one from Fragile. I swear to god, it's like they had 4k cameras back in 1999.

>>62966028

>NIN itself is an experience

It really is. NIN has the same appeal that Tyler the Creator, Death Grips and very few other artists have. It's the fact that they can combine different concept albums and mesh it into one giant storyline.
>>
>>62966028
I agree, NIN is definitely top-tier albeit as of recent he's been losing the edge a little, but it's fun to experience that side as well, Lights in The Sky are a good example of this.

>>62965995
I have a lot of ninnie friends and Year Zero and Ghosts seem to be the consensus among them.
I do think that sounds like it was from one of the Quake soundtracks.
>>
>>62966054
It's a fantastic song. So much raw emotion. I feel so bad for Trent. He's amazing to have gotten past what happened in his life back when he was writing that album.

No problem! I save all links I come across for this very purpose :)

>>62966060
I'm so pumped for the day /mu/ becomes an aggregate circle of ninners.

The booklets are great. As a side note too, I love that most of ther releases are digipaks and not jewel case trash. A lot of work goes into the design and structure of each physical release. Even the albums that were meant to be free downloads (like The Slip) had rad physical packaging.
>>
>>62966086
>albeit as of recent he's been losing the edge a little, but it's fun to experience that side as well
Well, he has overcome his depression and he is self-proclaimed actually happy with his life, so there's that. I'm glad for him, he deserves it.
That being said I still think he's churning out top pieces. Maybe they lack the impact of his 90s stuff but there is cultivated skill in what he is currently making. HM was dull but it wasn't amateur, is what I mean.

>mfw an interview with him from '94 has him saying "I don't wanna be forty and still doing tours"
haha sure Trent.
>>
>>62966095
That was the coolest thing about The Slip, it had a different artwork for every track, even on the ID3 tags. I have a friend who swears it's his best, I might just listen to it now.
>>
absolutely the downward spiral, that's his creative peak. if the Fragile was cut down to a single album maybe we'd have an argument here
>>
>>62962524
witha teetha is his weakest imo
>>
>>62966123
>his best
You mean Trent's best work? Eh... Well each to their own I guess, but I find The Slip to be like a spinoff of With_Teeth. A lot of the songs are very similar. It's great, but not "amazing". My opinion, anyway. Still a great listen.

On a very unrelated note, let history never forget this little early days gem:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LI41K-kk34s

>tfw they don't know they're dancing to a song about suicide

topkek tbqh.
>>
I've got to sleep a little guys, I'll catch up with you. Hopefully this thread is still alive, if not I'm sure the new thread will be up like the one anon said. Welcome back to the guy who hasn't been here since 2014, please stay.
>>
Man you guys type a lot and do so many multiple replies in one post. I had to stop reading near the end

>>62961855

TDS is better IMO. Like some other anon said, double albums rarely are as good as the artist's single single album magnun opus (see The Smashing Pumpkins). They tend to suffer from filler and a little too much variety that takes some of the soul, consistency and impact from the album. Not that variety is a bad thing nor I want all songs to be the same.
But for me TDS has such a defined sound, texture, feeling; it really has an identity. It's one of those albums in which you can hear just a couple of seconds of any track and already the most simple textures and sounds bring you the feeling and the idea of the whole album. While The Fragile also has this, it feels a little too sparse, like it lacks from a sonical theme as provide precise and impactful as TDS.
While The Fragile has as many good individual moments as TDS, or even more (Somewhat Damaged, The Frail, Just Like You Imagined, that whole La Mer, Great Below, Way Out is Through streak; to name a few), the filler kinda brings it down. And the concept, themes and storyline in Downward Spiral are plainly fantastic, something that TF lacks.

TDS > TF = Still > Broken > WT = YZ > PHM = Ghosts > Slip = HM
>>
>>62966165
Before you go please watch this (linked above): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LI41K-kk34s

Mark my words you won't regret it. Thanks for staying around this long anyway :)
>>
>>62966179
Best explanation of why TDS is arguable the better album. Thanks for that, it was a really entertaining read. I agreed with pretty much everything you said.
>>
>>62966183
Haha I actually watched that before you posted that, what a great performance! That hair, the cheesy dancing, that was worth it.
>>
>>62966227
It's the cheesiest thing, never fails to make me laugh. What the hell was Trent thinking going on "USA Dance Party"? Topkek.
>>
>>62966237
He has made some questionable choices in the past for sure. That was maybe the best list yet, and a good breakdown.
>>
>>62966179
I have to say that I agree with you on all fronts there, Anon. Many points argued well for, so thank you for the coherent post!
>>
Has there been a better ARPG than the one for Year Zero? It was intense and the subject matter has only gotten more relevant, I wish more of the sites were still up.
>>
>>62966316
Was the Year Zero game ever even released?
>>
DS for sure, even though TF is my most loved. However, I don't know if it's just me but my favorite Reznor work isn't any of his NIN material. It was actually his (unbelievable) production on the first Prick album.

Granted, Trent's voice never did much for me to begin with; sort of always felt he sounded like an aggro Phil Collins, but to each their own. As a producer/musician he's pure elder god tier though. No denying that. That said, I just loved something about his compositions on this particular record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWNUz6F2z_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEyta2VdWBo
>>
>>62966394

I meant ARG not arpg.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Zero_%28game%29
>>
>>62966418
Oh right, I see. Cool!
Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.