[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So we all agree that this album is a letdown, but Golden Gal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4
File: file.png (260 KB, 472x312) Image search: [Google]
file.png
260 KB, 472x312
So we all agree that this album is a letdown, but Golden Gal is one of the best songs they have ever written right?
>>
its a gr8 album and 1 off theyre best actually
>>
Album actually restored some faith in them after CHz. Hoping for more surprises in the next record, but this is on the right track for them

Golden Gal is good but it isn't even the runner-up
>>
>>62955719
This was a FUN album and more enjoyable than CHz but won't go down in AnCo's history books.

Its just a bit reserved in all honesty. It feels like they're holding back.

However, I have hope for the future and feel like they have one great album still left in them.
>>
>>62955749
Oh hey @childrentalking
>>
I honestly think it's their worst and it makes me incredibly sad as they used to be miles away as my favorite band.

Golden Gal is an alright song while simultaneously being one of the best on the album. Bagels in Kiev and Laying in the Grass are two of my least favorite ac songs ever. "bagels for everyone!"

The live show was just boring. They've stopped experimenting. They've figured out the animal collective formula and they're sticking to it

Ratking was insane though.
>>
too many songs sound the same. only floridada, golden gal, and maybe on delay are big standouts. a lot of these songs you could play and I wouldn't be able to tell you which one it was.
>>
>>62955719
Probably my least favorite AnCo related release ever. I liked Enter The Slasher House and PB Vs The Grim Reaper a lot more.
>>
>>62955719
It's a solid album, Floridada, Lying in the Grass, Golden Gal, Vertical and Hocus Pocus are all great songs but the rest of it is quite forgettable.
This guy here puts it nicely >>62955908.
It really feels like they are holding back on their usual sound, like they were trying to do something more minimal but forgot to add a lot of the flavour that albums like MPP and Strawberry Jam provided. Ah well, at least Floridada is rad as fuck.
>>
>>62955999

Checked.

I disagree with your thoughts on Aco but I agree 100% on ratking.
Saw them for the first time a couple years ago Webster hall when they opened for earl sweatshirt. The live instrumentation is something every rap artist should do.
>>
It was better than CHz but it was still very forgettable
AnCo gave me 4 10/10s so im perfectly happy with them never making another good album
>>
Album would be so much better without the ooh-AAH-ooh-AAH-ooh-AAH vocals on almost every song.
>>
>>62955999
>>62956018
>>62956031
there r ppl who actually enjoyed chz more? wow get out

>>62955980
who
>>
>>62955719
I like the first 4 tracks and Golden Gal, that's about it.
>>
Actually the opposite for me; the album is satisfying, yet Golden Gal ended up being one of the worst songs they've written in a while.
>>
>>62956166
woah, really?
why didn't you like it? it's one of my favourites on there.
>>
their whole try to make every song really short, fast, and energetic hurts the album. all the songs kinda run together and all sound the same.

They needed a few longer fleshed out songs and a few slower atmospheric songs to give it some variety.

There's also just way too much going on in both this album and CHz. Every song doesn't need to be packed to the brim with a million different synths and effects. Sung Tongs, Feels, SJ all are so much simpler by comparison, and it's so much better. All of the melodies now are buried under a bunch of shit.
>>
>>62955719
Can we all agree that she's mad cuz they keep changing the taste of coke?
>>
at least it was better than life of pablo
>>
>>62956201
I thought the opposite about PW, it felt like there wasn't enough here for it to truly feel like an animal collective album.

Like compare this and MPP side by side. and you'll see what I mean.
>>
I like PW. Right now I'd say it's far from their best, but it's not their worst either. Of course, opinions are apt to change.
>>62956141
CHz is their best album you dummy.
>>
>tfw anco have peaked and will never again make an album on the level of Sung Tongs, Feels, SJ, or MPP

they got old bros
every single band that doesn't break up eventually gets old and they stop making great music. They are nearing their 40's.
It's over.
>>
>>62956141
CHZ at least had emotional variety and pleasant melodies--at least in the first half
>>
I get the feeling that a lot of the people staunchly defending PW jumped on the bandwagon after CHZ or even PBVSGR.

Seriously on collected animals people are super passive aggressive if you critique it at all
>>
>>62956198
I mean, the song is alright; I wouldn't say it's bad at all. I just think that in comparison to the 'broken carnival ride' feeling that songs like Hocus Pocus and Recycling have, Golden Gal seemed like a really safe, run-of-the-mill song. It also doesn't have the energy of songs like The Burglars or On Delay, which is another thing that I prefer in AnCo songs most of the time.

I guess that Spilling Guts might be a 'worse' song just because it's so short and doesn't go anywhere in its two minutes.
>>
>>62955719
youre fucking tripping if this is any less than an 8/10 for any of you

this is a melodical masterpiece and the complex rhythms paired with the clean textual audio environment make this album shoot easily to an 8, i love AnCo and originally listened to them for the vocal style and melodies. this album is their strongest album VOCALLY i believe, with sung tongs and feels close behind

and Floridada is the sleeper hit off this album, but every song is a banger

and you idiots will eat your words in a couple months when all the people who are too stupid to listen to music finally actually listen to what they are hearing on the 46th random listen ten years later and say oh fuck im stupied i dont know how to listen to music
>>
>>62956362
its a more precise and logical take on their previous iterations

yes that happens when you get older, you're not as bold and courageous, but you are more calculated, wiser
>>
>>62955719
golden gal isnt even on the top5 from the album for me t b h
8/10 4me
idc bout u
>>
>>62956562
it's like a 5-6

Burglars and Floridada both have pretty cool melodies, every other melody is just serviceable or in some cases bad--see lying in the grass

it sounds like they combined SJ, CHZ, and MPP, put them all in a blender, and made a thin liquid out of them. It's not terrible, but nothing sticks out and it just tastes like generic animal collective.
>>
Album is great jam wise, lacks a lot of their old feels but damn you can pump this whole album
>>
>>62956393
todays supernatural is a good song and arguably a better 1 then any single of pw but nah chz overal was a huge mess also pw is super pleasant on the melodic side especially wat the fuck ru on?

>>62956318
stop having awfull opinons pls

>>62956660
dis basically

i wish every band dat reached theyre career worst followed wit 1 off theyre strongest releases ever but than again not every band is anco
>>
i feel like i'm some weird alternate universe because I think this album is amazing.
>>
>>62956865
actually scratch dat chz isnt theyre career worst but u get the point
>>
>>62956865
listen to tantrum barb

then listen to lying in the grass

and tell me PW has a lot of pleasant melodies
>>
>>62956906
You're not alone, them changing sound obviously doesn't go so smoothly with every listener, so its understandable to hear some ppl not liking it despite the album being jam of the year so far
>>
>>62956983
how did they change their sound? it's psychedelic electronic pop music, same as SJ and MPP
>>
I thought it was pretty not good the first time few times listening to it but I listened to it while on acid the other day and I was blown away by how good it was.
>>
Love the album. I think people are too attached to it being an animal collective release desu. Yes, in almost all their other albums they had slower passages in songs or slower songs. Just because thats gone doesn't make it a bad record. Take it as it is. 9/10 if i have to rate
>>
>>62955719
This is the worst PW opinion I've seen yet
>>
>>62956718
i think you gave it one adhd listen then trashed it but we're entitled to our opinions
>>
>>62957431
I've listened to it probably over a dozen times, I have the deluxe vinyl, seen em perform it live

see
>>62956960

it's ok it's just generic animal collective. They didn't do anything too exciting or change their sound and very few of the melodies move me like all of their other stuff has

It's an ok album, but that's pretty disappointing coming from AC who has such a high bar for quality.
>>
Floridada, Hocus Pocus, Vertical, Lying in the Grass, The Burglars, and Golden Gal are all bretty gud but the rest just isn't that great to me
>>
>>62957228
have they ever played with these super rubbery and uncanny synth sounds/timbres before? some of the sounds on this album are verging into pc music territory.
>>
>>62958259
Water Curses was the same thing just more textured and layered
>>
I actually really liked Painting With, one of their better albums.
>>
>>62958259
>some of the sounds on this album are verging into pc music territory.
that was probably an inspiration with them - they're touring with GFOTY this year
>>
>>62958424
>Strawberry Jaw = 2.5

you're opinion is null and void
>>
>>62955719
There is not a single track even close to being decent on that putrid piece of shit
>>
>>62958823
yeah in no way is PW better than SJ

lyrically, sonically, melodically
>>
Official power rankings coming through

Spilling Guts
Recycling
Vertical
Bagels in Kiev
Floridada
Lying in the Grass
Summing the Wretch
Hocus Pocus
The Burglars
Natural Selection
On Delay
Golden Gal

Overall solid 8/10
>>
>>62957585
haha you buy the vinyl see them live and still wont give the album its credit due

you're jaded as fuck dude
>>
File: batman rain.gif (352 KB, 499x289) Image search: [Google]
batman rain.gif
352 KB, 499x289
>>62955719
>tfw everyone hate CHz but you like it more than PW
>>
>>62959446
Nah dude I just love AC so dearly that to see them put out these half baked melodies/chord progressions/lyrics is just disheartening

Believe me, I was hyped as fuck for the record, I listened to the bathroom flacs, the amazon samples, the original vinyl rip

I really, really wanted to love it. All I wanted was an 8/10 record

but what I got is like a 5-6.

It's not terrible, it's just not as good as I hope AC records to be
>>
>>62956613
by that logic
>abbey road
oh wait
no
>>
Strawberry Jam > Centipede Hz >= Sung Tongs > MPP > Painting With > Campfire Songs > Feels > STGSTV > HCTI >>>>> literal dog shit > Danse
>>
>>62955719
Nah, It's their 5th best album, I'd give it between a 7 and 8 of 10
>>
File: 1448957824906.gif (1023 KB, 488x370) Image search: [Google]
1448957824906.gif
1023 KB, 488x370
>Here's the objectively correct ranking you fucking retards.

Centipede Hz > Painting With > MPP > SJ > Sung Tongs > Feels > Spirit > ODDSAC > Campfire Songs > HCTI > Hollinndagain > Danse
>>
>>62958932
The only accurate rankings on there are Vertical, Bagels, and Golden Gal.
>>
>>62961880
Wouldn't put PW that high on mine but i can really appreciate somebody who puts CHz at #1. I like you anon.
>>
Why do you all fucking like Golden Gal it's one of the least interesting songs on the album
>>62961880
funny jokes man I'm laughing at how funny it is
>>
>>62956092
>The live instrumentation is something every rap artist should do.

>live instrumentation

There's literally one dude hitting a drum pad attached to his laptop. How can you be so excited over that?
>>
>>62958399
but water curses was more, well, water-y. these timbres are much more solid and punctured, if that makes sense. there's a more more dance sensibility to this record as well - something they've flirted with but never fully committed to. like, much of it sounds like the aforementioned pc music scene or the more experimental side of the uk bass scene.
>>
>>62961986
good point, m'lady.
>>
They get it right on a couple tracks but the whole thing is just okay. It's not bad, kinda good but lackluster. They got the production right, they ruined what was a pretty good set of songs with the cluttered production on chz. Still looking forward to future releases as Panda Bear is still making good shit.
>>
>>62955719
I hated it at first but have come to enjoy it, but Golden Gal still ranks lower as far as songs on that album go for me. Everything about it just seems so corny. The rest of Avey's songs on there are much better, especially Vertical and the Burglars. All of Panda Bear's songs on there are garbage though. I really don't know what happened to him. I actually thought Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper was a pretty good record, so I'm surprised by the decline in quality he underwent with this record. Panda should have left more of the record to Dave if he didn't feel ready.
>>62955749
Quit kidding yourself. It's got some good songs, but it's one of their worst. The only album in their discography I can think of that's worse than Painting With is Centipede Hz.
>>
do ppl actually think this is worse than cHZ? wow.
>>
>>62956097

>what is hocket
>what are musical themes
>>
>no "MY FEET WON'T CROSS THE PARKING LOT, THE PARKING LOT IS WAY TOO HOT"

shits fire /mu/
>>
>>62955798
tru opinion right here folks
>>
>everyone on this board already changed their opinion from AOTY to "it's alright"
>>
Animal Collective is shit and I'm glad they're no longer fashionable.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.