[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he an industry plant? I know that Logic is. Is Drake? Do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 4
File: Rodeoalbum.jpg (11 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
Rodeoalbum.jpg
11 KB, 220x220
Is he an industry plant? I know that Logic is.

Is Drake?

Do industry plants bother you? How do they impact music?
>>
Only true industry plant is post malone
>>
>>62902475
industry plant?
>>
>>62902629
its someone who is a puppet of a record label. they are endorsed/pushed by labels to sell lots a music
>>
>>62902629
A musician who claims to be unsigned/indie but is secretly signed to a major label. Helps them get airplay, mostly. An example is Iggy Azalea, who's label got caught saying something like 'play her until she's popular'

>>62902571
Logic got signed 5 months after Young Sinatra came out. Didn't announce until his first album I believe. Hype machine.

http://ca.complex.com/music/2015/06/what-is-an-industry-plant
>>
>>62902698
are they really puppets though? I don't think logic has a ghostwriter
>>
>>62902475
I stopped worrying about whether an artist is an "industry plant" or not when people started throwing it out as a buzzword for things they don't like.
>>
>>62902475
If its top 40, it's an industry plant.

Not even fucking kidding bro.
>>
>>62902775
it's true though. I like Logic's mixtapes and I like Travis Scott. I think fans should be aware of the why behind music too. Especially if ghostwriting is secretly rampant (looking at you Taylor)

then there's people like Meek Mill, having a rise on youtube then getting BTFO by Drake who has a ghostwriter, and probably is an industry plant
>>
>>62902752
Nearly all popular music that hits the billboards has been marketed and developed to SELL SELL SELL.

There is absolutely no artistic merit to anything in the Top 40.
>>
All of hip hop and hip hop culture is suspect of industry plants. Think of the audience they're targeting. Not the hardest group of people to pull a fast one on.

Drake? He's ugly as hell, from canada, confirmed doesn't write his own lyrics. He's a plant for sure.
>>
File: 1422928291665.png (118 KB, 707x512) Image search: [Google]
1422928291665.png
118 KB, 707x512
/indierock/ here

There's a handful of bands that have garnered so much popularity from the mere idea that they're popular to begin with - labels will get in touch with websites to write an article about the band / an upcoming release, which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but it's often used to create the illusion that a band is well-liked
>>
>>62902698
isn't that why labels exist?
>>
>>62902908
I wouldn't say all of hip hop. Wu-Tang is a perfect example.

Even Kanye said he'd leave his label unless they gave him a solo project
>>
>>62902940
Well, originally they existed as a conduit for artists to contractually agree to record under and distribute their music through. You know, make a reputation and name for themselves while making some money.

It has now turned into "Nah, you don't own anything we own it all and we're taking like 80 percent of the profit from everything you record and you're going to deal with it because you signed a contract with us and no matter how sour things get you're stuck with us"

I mean just look at Kesha.
>>
>>62902924
that kinda shit is absolutely haram
>>
>>62902924
I can't think of any examples
>>
>>62902908
Fuck you Drake is a top tier cutie
>>
travis scott isnt an industry plant, but he is a shitty musician. halsey, flo rida, g eazy, and charlie puth are 100% plants however
>>
>>62902698
So virtually every popular hip hop musician?
>>
>>62904450
Tobias Jesso Jr immediately comes to mind
>>
Anyone who was on a major label before their first release is a plant.

Anyone who got famous in their teens is a plant. (Only exceptions being Justin Bieber, and Earl Sweatshirt)

Anyone who got famous off of 1 song.
Drake isn't a plant he had rich parents who were connected and bought the best writers and producers. Technically he paid for his spot at the top.
>>
>>62902698
You're actually retarded. You just described every chart topping artist ever.
>>
>>62902908
I mean he came up off of Young Money, pretty believable story. Why would a label think this random degrassi fag was so marketable
>>
>>62906181
What about people like Party, or anyone signed under Drake. Are they considered plants?

He just picks up hot people from his city, all of a sudden they don't deserve credibility because of the boost?
>>
>>62902698
this is not what a "plant" is you retard. you are literally describing what every single record labels do and why they do exist.

an industry plant is somebody whose "rag to riches" story is completely fabricated. the label finds the talent but pretends it didn't sign him. they produce his mixtapes and put them on the internet, pretending that the dude is "grinding", creating buzz and a fanbase. then after a while the label pretends it is signing this "next promise of rap music who set the internet afire with his mixtapes". a notable example of this is j.cole.

a plant can also be someone often with no talent whose connections in the industry let him be signed. a glaring example of this is travis scott, a know biter, garbage producer, trash rapper and all around douche.

drake isn't a plant. he was discovered on the internet by j.price.
>>
>>62902851
> I like Logic's mixtapes and I like Travis Scott.

you should really go back to hiphopheads.

>>62906181
>Drake isn't a plant he had rich parents

retard detected. r/hiphopheads and their obsession with drake is truly here.
>>
>>62906678
>He doesn't think Rodeo was well produced

Get this hot head out of here
>>
>>62906740
Drake just payed his way to the top. how is anything I said shedding drake in a positive light at all? he wasn't a plant he had money and money bought him the best of the best.
>>
>>62902698
[spoiler]people forget drake was always a plant[/spoiler]
>>
>>62902475
Travis is for sure a plant but he's also bitter.
Post is 100% a plant shit popped off way too fast and I feel like he's too goofy to have his image work on soundcloud.

My big question is The Weeknd. I know his story like the back of my head but his buzz was crazy unreal, and makes me thin he got signed after those 3 singles.
>>
>>62906985
The Weeknd is a plant just like drake. Mixtapes in quick succession labels helping get buzz before debut albums. In the case of Drake he was Young Money's feature kid and Wayne's lap dog.

Easy
>>
>>62906678
god j cole is fucking shit. i never thought of him as a plant until now.
>>
>>62906881
and you think trashiest scott produced that? he has had people produce for him for years. travis scott is the biggest fraud in the industry.

rodeo is trash anyway. his music is as bland and grating as it comes.

>>62906882
>>62906941
>>62907041
you are stupid.

-drake is not a plant
-drake was not rich, his dad is some broke deadbeat dirtball and his mum is a single mum working as a teacher or something
-drake put his shit on the internet and j.prince's son found him, his tape fell in lil wayne's hand

you can pay all you want, if you don't have any talent you won't last. according to your clouded reasoning, i can just pay and become the biggest rapper on the planet, which is a concept so stupid i can believe somebody would seriously believe that.

jay z is unbelievably rich and can afford the best of the best writers and producers, yet his music has been trash for years and people don't care about him nearly as much as before. you can't fabricate a run like drake's career, let alone buy it.
drake haters are completely delusional.

drake real luck was finding 40. "drake" is a group comprised of drake and 40, and 40 is the real genius behind the sound. drake is just a decent performer.

>>62906985
> but his buzz was crazy unreal,
it's almost like he created something that was perfect for that moment, after years of trash rnb music.

the weeknd is shat both on here and on pitchfork but he is good. everybody in pop is trying to sound like him half a decade after his tapes. he was discovered by veteran producers illangelo and don mckinney, they helped him and produced some couple of dozens of tracks and put that on the internet. after a few weeks all the clans were lined up at his first show, trying to sign him up. there is no fucking "conspiracy" behind it.

you retards really don't understand what a "plant" is, and use is a generic term for "and i don't like these canadians, so i'll call them plants".
>>
>>62907501
Quality post
>>
>>62907501
>-drake was not rich, his dad is some broke deadbeat dirtball and his mum is a single mum working as a teacher or something
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OisZAqxeEI
>>
>>62907501
Hahahahaha holy shit. You do realize that Drake was an actor on Degrassi, right?
>>
>>62907501
> everybody in pop is trying to sound like him half a decade after his tapes

That's because he was kinda panned by the mainstream. I love the weeknd Kissland is top 10 of all time. The reason everyone is biting his style now is because he went pop but kept the darkness, so people went back in his backlog and saw what worked for him. That's why we have bitters like Bryson Tiller now. Who I also believe is a planet.

Also everyone is biting the Toronto sound.
>>
>>62907645
>>62907610

Drake wasn't rich until degrassi though
>>
>>62902475
seems like he is, has a weird shady story of how he came up, but so do tons of other people

>"oh ya i just posted a video of me singing a cover song and Usher found me!"
>"ya i just used my college money to go fly to LA to meet with a label head and showed him some shitty video i made and now im a signed artist!"
>"ya me and my friends just all made some shitty mixtapes, and some super expensive exclusive streetwear brand just decided to sponsor us because they thought we were cool. what? no i mean ya we didnt really know each other before but we were still friends kind of, i mean we all rapped, what do u mean were the boyband version of wu tang clan? nah man were not manufactured we just have fun were friends."
>>
>>62907921
Is the last one A$AP mob because I wasn't sure.
>>
>>62906026
can you really call halsey a plant when she's just an alt-pop star? Grimes is like the only alt-pop star that I can think of that isn't straight up manufactured.
>>
>>62908200
asap odd future, same shit as far as im concerned
>>
>>62908596
Odd future had a TV show man. Theyre definitely not plants, look how outlandish they are. No one in their right mind would plant those kids
>>
>>62908200
Mob just got poppin' off of Rocky ofc. Funnily enough the better rappers aren't as popular as Rocky and Ferg
>>
Chance is an obvious industry plant.
>>
>>62908764
hodgy and left brain didnt even know them, they just threw them all together to sell as odd future
>>
>>62908596
Supreme isn't even expensive. Resale is it's basic supply and demand.

Haha that shit wasn't even exclusive until OF came around I remember going down to fairfax in the middle of the day, back in the day to buy a bogo now you have to camp out 3 days before to get one.

Also those kids used to work their asses off in Syd the kid's out they also were hyped on KTT and here, I remember Earl posting Earl on KTT, and people praised tyler when Bastard dropped. Their manager is their main reason for their success.
>>
>>62908848
>$180 basic hoodie
>$300 vans

ya haha! get a job fags! i mean vans are only $70 usually and hoodies like that are $50, but who cares!
>>
>>62908848
can you find a link to pre-samoa earl posting his shit on ktt? that sounds hilarious.
>>
>>62908823
literally one of the most "musical" rapping voices...
him being liked by the general public is no mystery to anyone...

also seems like a nice dude
>>
Pretty sure Kid Cudi was a plant, at least for his first few albums.
>>
I don't know anything about plants.
Is "industry plant" just a buzzphrase?
Is Kendrick a plant?
>>
>>62908966
Man, it's been years I could try and post it on /mu/ later if I find it

>>62908890
people who can afford supreme don't care. I literally flipped a $45 dollar shirt last week for $150 and bought that same shirt for myself again this week.
>>
>>62909079
Don't think so. He met Dre. after Section 80.

Section 80 already had buzz before any Dre mentions at all
>>
>>62902924
Together Pangea,Mac, and FIDLAR sum'd up
Only Mac is actually a likable human being what a beautiful soul.
>>
>>62909083
i can afford it and i still care lol idiot what kind of logic is that?

>i can afford it, so who cares if its way overpriced!
>>
>>62909079

no the dude has been signed to the same label for basically his whole life and the earlier mixtapes he put out were legit terrible, he didn't really start to get covered until overly dedicated and only blew up after section 80 and for good reason
>>
Do industry plants and ghost writers also occur in non-hip hop ? Like; are their any milli vanilli-like bands around who are just puppets of their label? I still don't believe the hype of The Strokes around their debut for instance
>>
>>62909264
90% of Chart topping pop stars have their songs written for them. Only reason they're heavily marketable is their sex appeal
>>
The Weeknd was the most obvious industry plant. Those first 3 mix tapes are still fire.
>>
>>62909355
wat, how is he industry plant? he refused to sign with OVO and made a shit load of mixtapes before an actual album release.
>>
>>62909373
He was discovered originally by Drakes manager before the first mixtape came out. Indie artists also don't get Doc McKinney production credits on most of their songs either.
>>
>>62909435
This guy's got an eye.
>>
>>62909461
I'm a producer myself so I'm all over production credits for everything.
>>
>>62909479
Yo let's drop a collab tape senpai.

Be the metro to my future.
The premier to my guru
>>
>>62909156
yea together pangea suck
>>
>>62909435
Agreed with you.
For me, the easiest indication that someone is an industry plant is by looking at the production/features of their early work. Real artists on the come-up don't get such high level connections that early into their career
>>
>>62909138
>if he gave me a handout. I'mma take his wrist and break it

literally a song on Section 80. try again
>>
>>62909051
How?
>>
>>62910107
If anything that line proves the point he was making. Regardless Kendrick has a well documented history of not being an industry plant.
>>
>>62906026
I thought g eazy put out a bunch of independent mixtapes to get popular
>>
>>62906533
Ilovemakonnen gaurenteed plant
>>
>>62910410
No dude's been grinding for years. Not a plant at all just had one song that drake remixed and popped off.
>>
>>62910451
that's probably the issue. How did drake come across him if not for a label connect? Why bring this little guy to ridiculous amounts of success for nothing? Don't think drake would do that
>>
>>62910735
>>62910451 is right. Makkonen has a crap ton of struggle rapper mixtapes.
Drake has been signing a bunch of Toronto people to his OVO Sound label for their sound so he collect them like pokemon. Partynextdoor, another signee, was
only signed because Drake wasn't able to get The Weeknd
>>
>>62910735
Drake would do that. Because drake and 40 have love for the music. Drake has a lot of people in the OVO label/camp that aren't Superstars, look at Roy Woods, Majid, Skepta all of them.
>>
>>62910852
Look dude, I genuinely like drake but you gotta stop putting them on a pedestal. If they love the music so much why get Drake a ghostwriter, which i'm sure he's used for a while.

Why even respond to the Meek shit in the first place if not for publicity and drama
>>
File: TpMtv.jpg (105 KB, 892x620) Image search: [Google]
TpMtv.jpg
105 KB, 892x620
>>62907501
I'm sure Drake struggled in this nice large house
>>
Payola still exists, they're just better at hiding it now
>>
>>62902724
Thanks!
>>
File: image.jpg (341 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
341 KB, 500x750
What's going on in this thread?
>>
>>62909138
He actually mentions dre in the mixtape dummy
>>
>>62902475
Yes to Scott, Yes to future, not sure about Logic, yes to Drake but he ended up having some talent anyway
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.