[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I saw this on a /mu/ recommendations thread which somehow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 1
So I saw this on a /mu/ recommendations thread which somehow was posted on /co/, so my question is do you really rate this album? I personally love it and think its one of the best grime albums ever made. Do people outside of England even listen to grime? If so who do you all listen too?
>>
It's one of the better grime albums, purely because grime isn't an album orientated genre. It drags in places, but the highs are pretty special.
>>
>>62610677
Best and worst track?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRA4cp8h9hA

m8, have a listen
>>
FLUSHING MCS DOWN THE LOO
>>
>>62610771
Love that line
>>
i'm scottish and i listen to it often

not sure if that counts though
>>
>>62610745
Shame he's in prison, very talented
>>
The only thing Hip Hop has spawned that's actually shitter than grime is aussie hip hop
>>
>>62610803
#freetitch

>>62610641
Also OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDnuN8DhS9c
>>
>>62610641
>grime
>albums
wow who gives a shit
Also, both Avalanche Music 1 and 2nd Phaze were both better.
>>
>>62611057
A good grime album is just the best selection and the best sort of style
>>
what do you lads think of nwere grime? thoughts on wen? obviously not in the same spirit as the og stuff, but p good.
>>
>>62611432
Translation please
>>
>>62611538
what do you lads think of newer grime? thoughts on wen? obviously not in the same spirit as the original stuff, but pretty good.
>>
>>62611432
I like new school grime, in all honesty I found new grime first then moved over to old school, Stormzy is extremely talented, BBK are the best band I have ever seen live, and JME is absolutely awesome, its different beats and flows but it still had the grime spirit
>>
>>62611432

A handful of good tracks, fan base is literally the worst fucking thing.
>>
Grime is trash.
No matter how you look at it, it's shit.
This is coming from someone who was into it circa 2000 to 2004.
I've since realised I was a fucking uneducated moron and moved onto better things. Occasionally, I give some new artists a listen but it's all the same shit. As a genre of music, it's just bad. I mean, if I had to listen to it... I'd choose the Fuck Radio era, anyday... but even then... it's just bad.

Skepta is shit, I don't know why people are all of a sudden loving his music either, it's genuinely shit. Same with all of Boy Better Know.

Wiley sold grime out long ago. He's a pop musician through and through. Same with Chipmunk. Chipmunk is a moron, he couldn't even roll a joint two years ago and now all of a sudden he's a gangster? Lol

Grime is definitely dead. All of them sold out to make pop hits and now are trying to revert back to it after making some cash but it's just silly.

Same with UK Rap. It's just the same shit. Section Boyz, K Koke... All trash
>>
>>6261177
New grime is one of the few genres of music where the fanbase ruins it, honestly try living on a northern primarily white council estate, there is no way you could understand
>>
>>62611706
i know loads of people in /bleep/ shit on it at times, but keysound is the absolute business right now.

also loving all the jt the goon stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjl6HoMY8eA

>>62611772
whats wrong with the fan base?
>>
>>62611864
I dunno.
This doesn't sound all too pop to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZhHkpMq5Us
>>
>>62610985
i know he goes the way of dubstep most of the time, but kahn is like untouchable 2 me tbqh
>>
>>62611907
Sounds fucking horrible mate.
No one can listen to this without doing so out of irony, can they?

If you're white, you should probably kill yourself mate... Either that or get a grip.

Why would anyone listen to this shit?
>>
>>62611953
still better than the eskibeat shite innit?
>>
>>62611904

They're all millennial adolescents with no sense of context and inherent critical bankruptcy?
>>
>>62611981
>with no sense of context and inherent critical bankruptcy?

can you expand on this?
>>
im an american and this is the first and only grime album i've listened to. i liked it. do english people listen to stuff like this in place of american hip hop?
>>
>>62610677
>grime isn't an album orientated genre
great post
Wish more people could understand that grime isn't in its true essence in a track format
As for the new school, I rate everyone on this set (bar row D) very highly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVgdrGxSQN0
AJ Tracey, Jammz and YGG are capturing the original radio essence of grime
>>
>>62612877
Grime isn't album orientated, but there's still grime albums
>>
>>62612982
to be fair there are very few ALBUMS (and not mixtapes) which are actually grime as everyone seems to release pop once they get to the album stage.
Can only think of BIDC, Treaddin on Thin Ice, Home Sweet Home, Rebel with a cause and In at the deep end off the top off my head
>>
>>62610813
grime wasn;t "spawned" from hip hop. I wish this bullshit that americans spout as grime being a sub-genre of their mainstream hip hop would die
>>
>>62610813
Grime has nothing to do with hip-hop other than it having a common root with it in jamaican dancehall toasting.
>>
>>62613154
>>62613197
>tfw you will never tie up peter rosernberg and repeatedly smack him in his face while forcing him to repeat "grime derived from garage"
>>
>>62613247
Except grime takes far more from jungle and DnB than garage.
>>
>>62613197
that's not really fair- there's an undeniable hip hop influence in grime, even if it isn't a subgenre of hip hop per se. it's not that it has 'nothing to do with hip hop', it's just that people often mischaracterize the relationship between the two genres.
>>
>>62613276
It's mostly agreed that garage is the main parent (see Pay As You go, So Solid, Heartless Crew) although of course there's also lots of influence from jungle and DnB too (and more)
>>62613286
Can't disagree with this really
I like to see grime as a cousin of hip hop and not the son or brother
>>
>>62613286
>there's an undeniable hip hop influence in grime
That's not how it works you little piece of shit.

Grime is UNDENIABLY derived from the MCing tradition in found British and Jamaican dance music.

>>62613387
>It's mostly agreed that garage is the main parent
It mostly not true, no matter what you think.
The MCing was never a focus of Garage and mainly an oddity that popped up due to Garage being so ridiculously popular and jungle MCs jumping on the bandwagon to make some money off it.
The sound and even name of grime itself is very obviously shaped by 2-step, however the MCing, which is where most people draw the hip-hop parallels, has nothing to do with garage.
>>
>>62613482
>Grime is UNDENIABLY derived from the MCing tradition in found British and Jamaican dance music.

i am perfectly aware of this, and i'm not trying to claim otherwise. but the post i was replying to claimed that 'grime has nothing to do with hip-hop', which is untrue. grime is derived from jamaican/british dance music, but influenced by hip hop.
>>
>>62613575
>grime is derived from jamaican/british dance music, but influenced by hip hop.
But it's not.
Where do you get the hip-hop influence?
The "rapping" is derived from jungle MCing.
The instrumentals are dirty 2-step.
>>
>>62610641
I'm from New Jersey and I love this album. The only other grime record I've tried to listen to was Integrity and I thought it was passable.
>>
>>62613617
because all of the mcs listen to hip hop also and most tend to do grime AND hip hop and a lot of tracks are blurry between the 2
>>
>>62613683
k
How about you show me?
Show me those hip-hop tunes by grime MCs.
Show me those grime tunes that sound lots like hip-hop.

>inb4 new Skepta
No, fuck off.
>>
>>62613617
because many grime mcs have repeatedly cited american hip hop as an influence! a large proportion of grime mcing doesn't resemble jungle/dancehall/ragga- it co-opts flows and delivery from hip hop. there's no denying that grime is primarily a british thing, but it seems bizarre to say that there is zero influence.
>>
>>62613750
Show me.
>>
>>62613683

I think you're reaching, and making a lazy comparison between two markedly different genres borne of predominately black male artistry.
>>
>>62613736
>>62613794
there's literally loads of examples of this in nearly every major grime artists discography
I think Wretch 32 is the best example (pre-pop) as he always jumped between the two
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYgmsCBKmLM
track related is a quick one off the top of my head but i wouldn't like to pigeon hole it as either 'grime' or 'hip hop' but it's a great tune regardless
>>
>>62613781
' There wouldn't have been Boy In Da Corner without Three Six Mafia. I made my beats modelled on the simplicity of what they were doing: "I, I, I love you" – just the way I used to hit notes, even tracks before I got to that point, it was all modelled on that music. '- dizzee rascal
>>
>>62613916
This sounds more like dancehall than anything else to me.

>>62613962
And where is the hip-hop sound on the record?
>>
>>62614048
I think the main point would be not to pigeon hole genres
I enjoy all '''urban''' British electronic music tbqh with the grime scene being the forefront of that
>>
man like aj tracey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDO35GUPpoY
best of the new wave
>>
>>62614048
i mean, he explains it in that quote. the basic, amateurish kind of production style is something that was taken from memphis rap, as well as some of his flow and delivery- listen to 'stop dat' and tell me there aren't parallels with southern styled hip hop.
>>
>>62614138
He's butchering that poor garage tune.
There's a bit more to MCing than having flows and bars and this aj clearly doesn't have it.
>>
Reminder that grime is only worth listening if it's in patois.
>>
>>62614196
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWnMbZV66p4
Nah AJ is the hardest
>>
I play this album on a monthly basis. This album just has something every other grime album doesn't
>>
>>62614264
This shit doesn't work over this instrumental at all.
Man should stick to eskibeat or some weightless Mumdance shit with that voice and those flows.

Also, he sounds way too much like Nov for me to enjoy him.
All I can think is how he sounds like he's about to drop a bar like "i'm the topshop man i'm dan".
>>
>>62614369
He's a lot better than novelist desu but those gimmicky bars and flows is what made grime great originally. Nov goes too far with the simple flows and basic lyrics meme for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2mdRYWHEqc
>>
>>62612209
no
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.