[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>It's all over the place >It has no cohesion >He
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: cover.jpg (74 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
74 KB, 500x500
>It's all over the place
>It has no cohesion
>He sounds manic
>How is he in 50 mil debt?

Do a single one of you think for yourselves or do you really enjoy being a reddit echochamber more than you realize
>>
add
>Kanye's not that lyrical now
>i don't like him because he's an asshole
>the last half of the album doesn't really fit
>i don't understand that the album cover is going for a punk/tossed off thing
>Chance the Rapper sucks
>>
>>62574289
Chance was literally the best part of the entire album
>>
has the time come already to pose the question if kanye has transcended art?
>>
Daily reminder that this album has an explicitly clear theme and motif on every track other than the interludes and only a fake who isn't even paying attention wouldn't realize it
>>
>>62574150
I feel like I'm going absolutely insane. This album doesn't deserve more than a 7.0 and yet all I'm seeing is people praising it and giving it high reviews. Like, what the fuck am I missing? I've listened to it three times. It was pretty bad every time.

Someone fucking explain to me HOW THIS IS GETTING PRAISED BY SO MANY FUCKING PEOPLE
>>
>>62574300
>implying Thuggers angelic and literally unheard until now's vocals didn't push the album over the edge of hip-hop

>>62574374
I'm sorry you're not capable of critical thinking. Don't blame yourself, blame your parents
>>
File: thatsthejoke.jpg (29 KB, 560x420) Image search: [Google]
thatsthejoke.jpg
29 KB, 560x420
>>62574300
>>
>>62574374
you have a different opinion then them
>>
>>62574432
That simpsons quote references a shit joke, not a joke going over anyones head
Stop fucking posting this in the wrong context
>>
>>62574402
See, this is what pisses me off. I know you're being "le xD ironic" but at the same time I know there are people on this board that actually believe that the album has some deep underlying message and Kanye can do no wrong
>>
>>62574374
You just have shit taste dude
>>
>>62574150
Oh man I fucking hate this "cohesion" meme. It's just something retards say to seem smart.
>>
>>62574374
Honestly I don't think even Yeezy stans are claiming its more than a 7/10. That's a very accurate score and higher than the majority of major release rap albums. If it deserves praise for anything its that it maintains a pretty unique albeit lowkey vibe, straddling gospel and darkness equally
>>
>>62574481
It definitely has an underlying message, but its not a deep one. If it was a deep one the masses wouldn't get it, and the message is intended for the masses: Get your shit together and find the light before its too late
>>
>>62574289
>>i don't understand that the album cover is going for a punk/tossed off thing

Probably one of the most genius things about this album.
>>
>>62574374
It's just really good. Trained (professional) listeners seem to get it. This is not some emperor's new clothes shit. This is the real shit.
>>
>>62574289
It actually reminds me a lot of a Parquet Courts album cover.
>>
>>62574648
I have found the light and it tells me this album is worse than Graduation and Yeezus yet the dark is saying otherwise

>>62574714
>pitchfork
>trained (professional) listeners
>>
>>62574672
it was pretty obvious if you paid attention to the whole album rollout
but i understand that most people don't pay attention to all that stuff (and then still want to bitch about it)
>>
>>62574765
i've seen a lot of people say this
and i laughed and agreed
then i looked at all their album covers and didn't see any that looked like this at all
please explain
>>
>>62574672
Personally I don't even think he was going for a punk aesthetic. I think he just wanted an evocative and in your face image. I think the WHICH / ONE dichotomy of the family wedding photo and the ass really conveys the theme of the album well
>>
It's supposed to be cluttered. I see this as an homage to the various styles he's implemented into his music over the years. His cluttered life will never be perfect or organized or "cohesive", I think this is his way of accepting that.

And no, I don't think that's reading too much into it. It's pretty blatant if you ask me.
>>
File: Radiohead-The King of Limbs.png (4 MB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
Radiohead-The King of Limbs.png
4 MB, 1500x1500
>>62574374
>I feel like I'm going absolutely insane. This album doesn't deserve more than a 7.0 and yet all I'm seeing is people praising it and giving it high reviews. Like, what the fuck am I missing? I've listened to it three times. It was pretty bad every time.

Reminds me of when this album came out and nobody DARED to give it any less than a 9.5

Reviewers were so scared of looking out of touch that they did exactly that.
>>
File: WVCwjb1.jpg (119 KB, 648x864) Image search: [Google]
WVCwjb1.jpg
119 KB, 648x864
>>62574857
>>
>>62574859
Its really not even cluttered. Lengthy, sure.
>>
File: David Bowie-Blackstar.png (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
David Bowie-Blackstar.png
14 KB, 300x300
>>62574374
>I feel like I'm going absolutely insane. This album doesn't deserve more than a 7.0 and yet all I'm seeing is people praising it and giving it high reviews. Like, what the fuck am I missing? I've listened to it three times. It was pretty bad every time.
>>
I went and listened to his shit before 808.

What happened to him? Why is he no longer a lyrical genius?

We used to get shit like:
>"I’m like a fly Malcolm X “Buy Any Jeans Necessary”

Now we get:
>Sometimes I'm wishing that my dick had GoPro. So I could play that shit back in slo-mo

Where did it all go so wrong?
>>
>>62574934
Sorry, I meant in regards to its cohesiveness. It doesn't have a consistent "aesthetic", I guess. Some parts you could call gospel (ULB, FSMH), some industrial (Feedback), some dark and spacious (FML, Freestyle 4), some quiet and personal (Real Friends, 30 Hours). I see it as diverse, not cluttered. I was just addressing the common complaint
>>
strawpoll.me/6825844

vote my nigga
>>
>>62574857
i had a bunch more evidence but honestly i've posted it several times the last couple days and i can't be bothered anymore
can't find the picture of the Pablo jean jacket he sold in the Season 3 packages
and the way he released the album
and the zine
it's all him co-opting punk culture
>>
>>62575014
Those two lines are equally clever. If you don't think he brought the bars on this one than you just don't like Kanye West
>>62575031
Diverse is a much more accurate criticism than calling it "all over the place" for sure. However, every album since The College Dropout has been diverse
>>
>>62575014
>Where did it all go so wrong?

After the traumatic experience of losing his mother and subsequently blaming himself for it he's now stuck with Caitlyn and Kris.
Poor guy.
>>
>>62574916
>>62575065
I guess I can see it. He really started appropriating punk with Yeezus. Still, I don't think punk was his sole focus but an influence
>>
>>62575190
right, agreed
>>
>>62575014
Kanye doesn't really give a fuck about his music like he used to. He honestly believes that he can have a bigger influence in the fashion world than he can in the music world, so he's been dedicating all his energy to his stupid shoes and shitty t-shirts for the last few years.

He's still musically talented as fuck, so his production work is as sharp as it ever was. I don't think he'll be able to make anything other than incredible beats his whole life, that's where his talent lies.

He's never been a great lyricist, but you can tell in his earlier album he was at least trying to be one. He was putting forth a lot of effort and you could tell. But as his success ramped up his lyrics declined and he began to rely more and more on lazy autotune singing. Now you get entire songs where he just sorta moans and sings in autotune, which allows him to write even less than he used to because singing fills a song with less effort than rapping does.

He still shits out amazing beats with little to no effort. But he's a pretty shitty writer and when his lyrics are given the same lack of attention the songs suffer immensely.
>>
I think the biggest downside of the album is sorta mirrored by how the conversation has kinda come to a close in this thread already. While it has an idea and executes it well, its pretty one dimensional. An album like MBDTF has more to say for itself
>>
>>62575358
>But as his success ramped up his lyrics declined and he began to rely more and more on lazy autotune singing

That's why I don't like him no more. I hate his autotune shit.

I love his production on Talib Kweli - Young Man. It's just perfect.
>>
>>62575358
You're right but not that right. He definitely put in an effort on this one, but his production talents have outshined his lyrical talents since MBDTF
>>
>>62574332
lol

>daily reminder that I am willing to do mental acrobatics to generate depth on Kanye's

I like that one part where he totally inverts stereotypes and doubles down on thematic tones related to fame wealth and religion when he's like

Tell me if you can relate: If I fuck a model who just bleached her asshole and I get bleach on my t-shirt then I'll look like an asshole.

T H E M E A N D M O T I F
>>
>>62575448
You gotta admit he pulled off the autotune on this album more tastefully than on 808s. He didn't overuse it
>>
>>62575566
I'm a retard.

>on Kanye's behalf
>>
>>62574150
This is a fucking masterpiece I have an MBA in music theory.
>>
>>62575492
How can you say that after listening to his lyrics on Ultralight Beam, Freestyle 4, Father Stretch My Hands, 30 Hours and Wolves?

He would have never allowed verses that low-effort to show up on his earlier releases. Can you imagine something like the back half of 30 Hours on MBDTF?
>>
>>62575566
Its a satirical exaggeration. Yeezy may be insane but he's self aware
>>
>>62575448
I hated the autotone on SNL, but it was pretty okay on the album. I'd pref no autotone on kanye, but I like autotune on people like thugger/travi$. I love the album, I listened to it more than 30 times since it came out. And fucking chance man, I was already a fan from acid rap and his newer features, but this made me love him more.
>>
>>62575601
I agree with you to some extent. I just believe his vision has been different on every project and he chooses records to fit his vision, regardless of what we might think about it
>>
>>62575705
So what's his vision on this one? His vision seems to bend more and more towards "I don't feel like rapping so I'm gonna 'sing' for 4 minutes" with each release. This would be fine if he could actually sing, or if his singing would at least improve, but it has gotten worse with each album since MBDTF, and even on MBDTF his singing was pretty bad.

I mean Jesus Christ, the singing on the back end of FML is easily the worst he's ever done.
>>
The worst part about Kanye West at this point in his career is he seems like he isn't having fun. He seems angry about something, like he smelled something really bad and can't understand why no one will take responsibility for farting. His brags come off like sneers and his introspection is just a list of more shit he wants right now; he comes off like a spoiled brat.

His earliest albums are great because, in addition to the quality production that doesn't try for IDM-inspired innovation, he is having so much fun that you want to join in with him. Since then his career has been marred by these public feuds and silly attempts to "take over" other industries -- and all of that shit shows up in his music, as bitterness and entitlement and smugness about his prior successes.

It isn't nice to listen to and it seems like he implicitly demands his fans treat everything he puts out as a 10/10 masterpiece. It's why he seemed so flustered that his dumbass video game about his angel mom going to heaven didn't catch the crowd's attention. It's why he premiered that shit in that context in the first place.
>>
>>62575826
You're right, but who of us here doesn't have some level of that same mentality inside of us? This is part of what makes Yeezy so relatable. He's an angry sperg who finally got normies to listen
>>
>>62574913
um... what?
>>
I literally listened to this album the entire day.
It's fucking amazing. But after SSI they feel like BONUS CUTS.
>>
>>62574289
I agree with all but the last one

That opening track is the first time I actually like Chance's rapping

Acid Rap and that other stuff he did was trash, esp when he fucked up Life Round Here w/James Blake, speaking of which the first track sounds like he ripped off james blake and afaik it is chance's song so it makes sense
>>
>>62576083
Pay no mind to the delusional fedoras, they got lost on the way to /r9k/
>>
>>62575358
>Kanye doesn't really give a fuck about his music like he used to.

Don't believe that for one second. Why do you idiots only think one person can only do one thing.
>>
>>62574300
no that was Desiigner on Pt. 2
>>
>>62574374
You are not crazy. It is middling at best. The promo effort has swayed the unwashed masses to believe it has to be great. It just isn't even good.
>>
>paid Lebron $1 billion not to run away

...how is that treating him like a slave?
>>
>>62574289
>>Kanye's not that lyrical now
why is this a bad point? kanye's lyrics have been utter garbage for years and he's so lazy at rapping now. he puts NO effort into the vocals.
>>
>>62576167

it's simple. you don't like kanye west. you probably read actual fans praising kanye on /mu/ and you tried to fit in by listening to some of his shit and thinking it was okay. anybody who's followed kanye's career since beginning knows this album is fucking great.
>>
>>62574374
It doesn't matter what album it is, some people aren't going to get it or like it. Not everyone likes the same things, and some people are just contrarian.
>>
>>62576180
I think we all know he was on one with facts

>>62576167
>>62576195
So this is the cutoff point of intelligent discussion huh
>>
File: 1378653066001.jpg (23 KB, 541x566) Image search: [Google]
1378653066001.jpg
23 KB, 541x566
>>62576256
>kanye west albums
>having the potential to support "intelligent discussion"
>>
>>62576292
It sure was fun reliving pre 2015 4chan for a while
>>
>>62574374
pitchfork gave it a NINE, which is a score they give to albums they consider masterpieces. if they had any credibility before, they lost it with this. even kanye doesn't consider the album we heard on tidal to be finished. what a joke.

what's worse is i don't even think he even bothered to paid them off, i think they just realize that the identity pitchfork is selling kind of depends on the idea that kanye is an infallible genius. if kanye goes down, they go down with him.
>>
>>62575826
MDTF,Yeezus and TLOP are his best albums though.
>>
File: 1454195533642.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1454195533642.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
>>62576432
>>
>>62576430
Pitchfork has been trying their damndest to market rap to hipsters for a long time
>>
File: yepls.png (155 KB, 1314x693) Image search: [Google]
yepls.png
155 KB, 1314x693
Ay
>>
maybe the echo chamber can answer me this: WHAT THE FUCK DOES "Waves" MEAN?

Sounds like an upbeat, cathartic song... but he's just talking about being so faded that he's fucking other dude's bitches and not giving a shit? It just doesn't make any goddamn sense.
>>
>>62575826
His Co-Writer stopped working with Kanye a month ago because Kanye's "mental and spiritual state just arent right anymore". Im actually genuinely concerned.
>>
>>62576684
2deep4me
>>
>>62576684
>WHAT DID HE MEAN BY THIS XD
dude has issues. move on
>>
Kanye has put out new tweets.
>>
>>62576717
Just go back to listening to ASAP Rocky
>>
HE'S BACK AT IT BOYS
>>
>Beats are a step backwards from Yeezus
>Half the features are boring as hell
>Ye's lyrics are boring and lamer than ever
>I couldnt give less of a shit about the "theme" ye hamfisted in here
>Kind of just drags on without ever grabbing my attention
Itd be considerably better if he stopped pretending this is "rap".
>>
>>62574402
>>implying Thuggers angelic and literally unheard until now's vocals didn't push the album over the edge of hip-hop

can you please tell me which track/part you're referring to?

I literally could only make out Chance, Frank Ocean, Rihanna, and (vomit) Chris Brown.
>>
>>62576915
I'm not going to pretend you just made any truthful criticisms but it is more of an R&B album than a rap album
>>
>>62577033
While I don't think its immediately apparent I think the androgynous voice singing on Highlights is thug. I could be wrong but it wouldn't be the first time ye got a totally new performance out of a featured artist
>>
>>62576888
I'm a white dude that listens to indie rock and janglepop, homie.
>>
>>62577033
Highlights
>>
>>62576915
>>Ye's lyrics are boring and lamer than ever
>>I couldnt give less of a shit about the "theme" ye hamfisted in here

Only these points are valid.
It's an 8/10 album for me.
>>
>>62577131
It couldn't be more obvious homie and by homie I mean never my homie
>>
>>62576684

>be dude in San Fran
>play rap music in my home
>never help the real artists

this is pretty accurate, senpai
>>
>>62574150
>these are common criticisms
>therefore they are irrelevant

Kanye fans gettin desperate.
>>
>>62576430
>if kanye goes down, they go down with him.

No they won't because Pitchfork latches on to whatever is popular at the time in order to continue existing. People like to think there's some big political conspiracy behind it but it's all business.
>>
File: kellurself.png (113 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
kellurself.png
113 KB, 750x750
>>62577553
you are literally whats wrong with the world senpai, how do you live with yourself
>>
>Echo chamber

Dear god the irony is almost profound. For the love of god you people are actually insufferable. Literally EVERY THREAD is you autists screaming over each other trying to prove how indifferent you truly are about this album. Just accept the fact that this album will be considered a class in a couple of years and there's nothing you fucks can do about it.

I mean, come on, the album is great. So what if it's not "cohesive"? Neither was College Dropout. Not every track has to be perfect for an album to be great. Hell, I feel like that jumbled mess of an abortion of an album cover is Kanye trying to tell us that the album is a mess, just like his fucked up mind. I mean there's what, 18 tracks, and like 15 of them are good and about 8-9 of them are great. After the I Love Kanye interlude it's pretty much potential hit after potential hit.

tl;dr stop being a bunch of fucking haters
>>
>>62574150
The album is shit.
>>
>>62574859
This. He's officially throwing form out the window.
>>
jesus christ this fucking album is all this /mu/ talks about

anyone know a safe haven of a music discussion board from all this Cancerous West discussion that isn't dead?
>>
>>62577900
No so get the fuck out pleb
>>
>>62577900
It JUST fucking released, dude.
Just wait a week. Sure, the memes will still be there, but the site will be mostly back to normal.
Relax.
>>
>MUH COHESION

are you autistic? this isn't a movie, just a collection of good songs
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 800x600
>>62577916
>calling me a pleb
>still browses 4ailchan
>in 2016
>discusses Kanye West on 4ailchan's /mu/
>in 2016
>>
>>62574471
A meme is created by the memers, not by "it's original context".
Fuck off
>>
>>62577948
you know very well 4chan's /mu/ is always talking about Kanye anon
>>
>>62578003
True, but it's not overloaded like this.
>>
>>62578026

maybe because he literally just released a new album? retard
>>
File: hnLxWXC.webm (142 KB, 460x336) Image search: [Google]
hnLxWXC.webm
142 KB, 460x336
>>62577977
>youre a pleb
>youre here pleb
>ya
>youre here pleb
>ya so?
>>
>STOP LIKING THINGS I DONT LIKE
The Thread
>>
Charlie Heat Version is such an improvement it's hilarious
>>
>>62576180

funniest part is lebron needs nike just as much as nike needs lebron, it was a great deal for both parties involved
>>
>>62574150
>all over the place
>no cohesion
both of these """""""criticisms"""""""" have been completely discredited.
>>
>>62574374
I graded it on my as an 8.9 when it first leaked yesterday, and I think it's only gotten better to me since. I think p4k's 9.0 is fair, but maybe a little low. I don't think I'll ever like TLOP as much as Yeezus, but I think it's only a matter of time before I like it more than MBDTF.
>>
Twitter should give him 1 billion dollars because he's the only thing generating traffic for that site anymore.
>>
File: three-musicians.jpg (137 KB, 900x808) Image search: [Google]
three-musicians.jpg
137 KB, 900x808
>>62574859
also picasso was known for his uncohesiveness, makes me wonder if tlop was cluttered on purpose
>>
>>62575065

Exactly glad somebody else understands this.
>>
>>62578262
That is cohesive though.

4chan needs an Art board.
>>
>>62578262
Yes its intentionally erratic and at odds with itself. That's why it's so good
>>
>>62575826

I agree with all this but i think it's actually helping his music because he's becoming more and more introspective because he is realizing his perception of the world doesn't match the feedback he's getting. His lyrics are getting more and more self-deprecating even though he's kept a lot of his ego.

He's been going through a serious midlife crisis for awhile.
>>
>>62574979
Poor thing, heres your reply
>>
>>62578335
retard
>>
>>62578397
>his perception of the world doesn't match the feedback he's getting

Damn anon, become a psychiatrist. You'd be good at that shit.
>>
>>62578479
How is it not cohesive? Go ahead tell me faggot.
>>
File: image.png (67 KB, 246x255) Image search: [Google]
image.png
67 KB, 246x255
>>62578089
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 239x387) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 239x387
>>62578511
jesus christ you are fucking stupid
>>
>>62578511
It's cohesive in it's consistent lack of cohesiveness.
>>
>>62578480
I think people just forget how autobiographical Kanye's music is. His lyrics are juvenile at times but they're also straight-forward. You can always tell what he's thinking.

FML is pretty clear in regard to the things he's going through. He also mentions seeing a psych and using anti-depressants.
>>
>>62578580
>It's cohesive i

Oh so you agree. Good. Fuck off now.
>>
>>62578641
Not that anon, sugartits. Sling that internalized rage somewhere else.
>>
>>62576684
this shit doesn't make the faintest bit of sense
>>
I got broads in Atlanta
>>
>>62574481
saying XD ironically has gotten so ficking annoying and is much worse than people who say it normally.
>>
File: couches couches couches.jpg (203 KB, 957x617) Image search: [Google]
couches couches couches.jpg
203 KB, 957x617
>>
File: a0484573441_10.jpg (275 KB, 864x864) Image search: [Google]
a0484573441_10.jpg
275 KB, 864x864
>>62574823
literally looks like this
>>
The album isn't super cohesive and it definitely has its shares of highs and lows, but its highs are fucking high. Ultralight Beam, Feedback, Waves, Real Friends and Wolves are all 9/10 or higher.
>>
>>62579635

It's disjointed for sure but that's really part of the aesthetic. Not saying it can't be criticized for it but people are acting like Ye didn't know what he's doing.

I think he wanted the album to feel disjointed and it really shows based on how varying and diverse the influences are. It's more like a collection of songs and I think it's him trying to smash convention again like he did with his industrial inspired sound on "Yeezus".

It makes the album really fresh and all the tracks stand out.
>>
I actually enjoy this album :(
>>
panda panda panda panda
>>
>>62575580

See I think 808s is literally Kanye wanting to do an RnB album where he sings bit residing that if he's to have complete creative control over it he needs to use auto tune. I can forgive him because he's so blatant about it. He knows he can't sing. He just asks you to suspend your criticism and join him in imagining what he'd like it to sound like if he was singing.

That's why I love him so much. He gets so much hate for his autotune but I only see it as being akin to a singer/guitarist using a drum track because he can't play drums.
>>
>>62579771

the /mu/ circlejerk has decided anyone who likes it is a shill so I'm sorry you must have shit taste.

Don't you know you aren't entitled to your own opinion?
>>
>>62576717
>white people: the post

Seriously can't take this shitty music board seriously
>>
>>62579812
I saw it as emulating Daft Punk too. Spot on.
>>
why do you guys give a shit you should probably be doing something with your lives than talking about kanyes album scrubs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! scrubs!!!! !!! !! ! ! !! !SUCRUBSBSBSBBSBSDFJDSFHSFSD
>>
>>62579825
Yeah I know I can have my own opinion but I just see a ton of people shitting all over it and I don't really get it
>>
>>62579864

Are you 5?
>>
>>62578111
This
Goddamn hilarious

Plus the whole silver surfer intermission was the best wordless diss track in rap
Straight at Wiz Khalifa like a professional
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-15-16-12-54-1.png (346 KB, 1079x1559) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-15-16-12-54-1.png
346 KB, 1079x1559
>>62574913
k
>>
How many times do Kanye fans get to use the 'It's not bad, it's supposed to be like that' line?
>>
>>62580069
It IS deliberate. That could be a shitty choice but I don't think it's an accident.

Those are two different types of critique. One is easy and is for hacks because it allows you do easily dismiss the work. The second choice is more difficult because it actually requires you to use your brain and articulate why it was such a bad choice of his.
>>
>>62580205
wow, you just proved his point. That's pretty hilarious
>>
>>62580353
and you proved his dumbass, he has a point
>>
>>62574300
his verse on Ultra Light Beams has to be the cutest verse in hip hop
>>
>>62580395
>no u

You're critiquing a critique because they don't align with yours. It amazes how much self-awareness you lack
>>
I can't believe I'm saying this, but this is a less ambitious Cherry Bomb. Even more misguided, too.
>>
>>62580453
I didnt critique anyone, i simply said he had a point and you proved it by glancing over it
>>
>>62578175
what is taste in music
>>
>>62580205
So what? Just because it's supposed to be shit, doesn't mean it's worth listening to.
>>
>>62580552
dont listen to it then? you have free will no?
>>
Here's why this album is good:

I listen to music on a daily basis. From jazz, hip-hop, indie, etc. Some underground stuff, some more mainstream stuff, some electronic stuff etc.

Never before in my life did I come to an indonesian cartoon music forum (or any other) to discuss an album like I am doing right now.

The guy as a presence, though I have to agree hes not as good as he used to be.
>>
>>62580353
>>62580552

No I said it COULD be as is you have to explain WHY it's shitty. My personal opinion is that it works for the album and I like and respect the choice.

I don't think it's objectively shit just for breaking convention. That's ridiculous.You have to explain why an album feeling disjointed is automatically a negative.

"disjointed" is not inherently bad. See what I'm saying?
>>
link to stream?
>>
>>62580721
Tidal.
>>
This album is brilliant and confirms his genius desu. This is his greatest album
>>
Makes me laugh, he gets called a genius for using a basic ryhme scheme to brag about his life over a beat that is essentially a remix of other peoples music...
Genius... is spending 40-50 years working on your art while living in poverty and being completely blind yet still creating something with so much depth and span, it has never been seen before on this earth and hasn't been seen since, even now... Hundreds of years later.
It's an insult to actual genius' to call him a genius. Inb4 ''fedora'' or ''tip'' ''olld grandpa'' whatever, I don't care... I'm 20 and still know that what I'm saying is true and you have to be a special kind of ignorant to think he's anything more than an average rapper and musician. He has lyrics like:

''Now if I fuck this model
And she just bleached her asshole
And I get bleach on my T-shirt
I'mma feel like an asshole''

And middle class sheltered white kids from the ''angry birds'' generation still call him genius. Enough said.

Also, I doubt he's even in any debt and if he is, he's not starving. Who fucking cares? Why would someone in so much debt drive a lamborghini, buy 40k fur coats and rap about how rich they are?
>>
File: lol.jpg (159 KB, 1224x620) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
159 KB, 1224x620
>>62576684
Koonye is a fucking spaz

>pic related
>>
>>62580766
edgy 15 year old tier opinion tbqh
Genius isn't a trophy they give you after a long list of accomplishments, it's a state of mind that creates art
>>
>>62580766

>Implying that line wasn't a joke
>implying there are't 18 songs worth of other lyrics that aren't that

Keep cherry picking.
>>
>>62580766
theres an angry birds generation? the fuck?
>>
>>62580857
I DARE you to find a snippet of actually decent lyrics from the entire album. This is the first Kanye release where not even a single line has made me think "heh, that was pretty clever actually". There isn't a single bit of good writing on the whole album. It's all mediocre at best or absolute garbage at its worse.
>>
>>62580766
>And middle class sheltered white kids from the ''angry birds'' generation
>I'm 20
so aren't you part of that generation, you fucking idiot?
I'm tired of all these people cherrypicking JOKE lines. kanye's always done them, even in college dropout (then your fat friend, her nickname is minivan). kanye has always had jokey lines
>>
>>62580766
Jesus Christ I hope this is bait, because if it isn't you sound like an absolutely pretentious shithead.
>>
>>62580958
lets see
I'm a deadbeat cousin, I hate family reunions
Fuck the church up by drinkin' after communion
Spillin' free wine, now my tux is ruined
In town for a day, what the fuck we doin'?
Who your real friends? We all came from the bottom
I'm always blamin' you, but what's sad, you not the problem
Damn I forgot to call her, shit I thought it was Thursday
Why you wait a week to call my phone in the first place?
When was the last time I remembered a birthday?
When was the last time I wasn't in a hurry?
>>
>>62581043
He said find something that wasn't mediocre.
>>
>>62580958

From FML

See, before I let you go
One last thing I need to let you know
You ain't never seen nothing crazier than
This nigga when he off his Lexapro
Remember that last time in Mexico
Remember that last time, the episode
Asking me why the hell I text in code
Four times that you say don't text me hoe
Told you four times, don't test me, hoe
Now we finna lose all self-control
But you ain't finna be raising your voice at me
Especially when we in the Giuseppe store
But I'mma have the last laugh in the end
Cause I'm from a tribe called check a hoe
Yeah, I'mma have the laugh in the end
Cause I'm from a tribe called check a hoe
And I...
>>
>>62580958
this one is ok imo fron no parties in la
When did I become A list? I wasn't even on a list
Strippers get invited to where they only get hired
When I get on my Steve Jobs, somebody gon' get fired
I was uninspired since Lauryn Hill retired
And 3 Stacks, man, you preach it to the choir
Any rumor you ever heard about me was true and legendary
I done got Lewinsky and paid secretaries
For all my niggas with babies by bitches
That use they kids as meal tickets
Not knowing the disconnect from the father
The next generation will be the real victims
I can't fault 'em really
>>
>>62580958

Friday night tryna make it into the city
Breakneck speeds, passenger seat something pretty
Thinking back to how I got here in the first place
Second class bitches wouldn't let me on first base
A backpack nigga with luxury taste buds
And the Louis Vuitton store, got all of my pay stubs
Got pussy from beats I did for niggas more famous
When did I become A list? I wasn't even on a list
Strippers get invited to where they only get hired
When I get on my Steve Jobs, somebody gon' get fired
I was uninspired since Lauryn Hill retired
And 3 Stacks, man, you preach it to the choir
Any rumor you ever heard about me was true and legendary
I done got Lewinsky and paid secretaries
For all my niggas with babies by bitches
That use they kids as meal tickets
Not knowing the disconnect from the father
The next generation will be the real victims
I can't fault 'em really
I remember Amber told my boy no matter what happens she ain't going back to Philly
>>
after listening to it like, 5 or 6 times I think that it's ok. It has REALLY high highs and shit tier lows.
Like, career highs and lows.

ULB, FML, and Real Friends are some of the best of his whole discog
>>
No parties in la is probably the most lyrically superior song on the album, the others seemed like he was just making a beat and letting people ride on it
>>
>>62581142
>But I'mma have the last laugh in the end
>Cause I'm from a tribe called check a hoe
>Yeah, I'mma have the laugh in the end
>Cause I'm from a tribe called check a hoe
This is literally third grade "i'm from the slap-a-hoe tribe" bullshit.
>>
>>62580857
Earlier he called Africa a fucking country... was that on purpose too?

You're a fucking moron

>>62580919
Yes, you're part of it

>>62580836
And kanye west does not fucking have it, mate.

>>62580973
I don't subscribe to shit. I'm not the one shilling the
>''edgy black guy whos a genius cos he ryhmes even tho he's so pop culture it's hard to believe it's not marketing''
all day am I?
And oh yeah! It's a joke line... See above. Read his tweets. He called Africa a country. I've watched his interviews. He's genuinely stupid...

>>62581017
Meeeeeeeeeehhh! Another fucking retard throwing around the word pretentious when someone points out opinions and facts that don't agree with his own. Fuck off and hang yourself, you faggot.
Or better yet...

Prove me wrong. On anything I've said.
>>
>>62581175
Okay, I'll give you this one. No More Parties in LA is lyrically up to par with MBDTF and prior.

But one song can't save an overly long album. You can't deny that this thing is 95% bullshit when it comes to lyrics.
>>
To be perfectly honest the album couldn't be arranged in a different way and still work
>>
>>62581369

>Calling Africa a country

We're talking about his music you fucking idiot. Completely irrelevant.

But by all means avoid talking about the actual music so you can disguise the fact you have no clue what in the fuck you are talking about and you're just babeling like a fucking retard.
>>
>>62581369
>Another fucking retard throwing around the word pretentious

Huh, sounds like you hear that word a lot. Don't you? Makes you wonder who the problem is... everyone else or you?
>>
>>62580766
I haven't seen someone use that many ellipses since livejournal.

>20
>angry birds generation

That's your generation though.
>>
https://theshibbolethblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/15/kanye-west-the-life-of-pablo/

hi guys, pls give my review a read. thx
>>
>>62581369
anon you still havent explained to me what the fuck an angry birds generation is. what are you even?
>>
>>62581043
>>62581142
>>62581158
>>62581175
You are all fucking retarded if you think these are examples of good lyrics.
Good for what? Rap? Because they certainly don't even fucking scratch the surface of other genres and other artforms. Seriously, I've yet to find hip-hop lyrics after listening to thousands of records ranging from mainstream shit like Kanye West to old school Memphis shit, to some third world field note freestyles from inner favela slums... All of the lyrics are fucking worthless.

He's a poet though, right? Right?
Don't be so fucking stupid.
>>
>>62574150
It's garbage. Fuck off, Kanye drone.
>>
the more i listen to it the less i like it
Feedback is my shit though (and i hate Yeezus)
did he sample an actual feedback to create the melody? thats pretty genius t b h
>>
>>62581521
did we fucking say anything about other genres retard? go home
>>
>>62581369
You seem to be lost

>>>/r/music/
>>
>>62581521

I mean if you purely looking at rhyme scheme he's obviously not as advanced as some other rappers but at the same time the content and theme speaks volumes. Not saying other rappers don't have both but those lyrics are definitely conveying something about Kanye as a person and he's trying to put it into music.

I mean the Beatles also sang shit like "I wanna hold your hand" but musically they were some of the greatest artists of all time.

Busta Rhymes can "rhyme" but his lyrics are shit because he says nothing of substance.

God you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>62581369

r e d d i t
e
d
d
i
t
>>
Lads, what sampling is used for Father Stretch My Hands? It's so fucking good.
>>
>>62574150
It's not an echo chamber when 90 percent of the things you said are absolutely true.

Maybe you hear them "echo" because the reality we live in actually expresses those issues and its not some "of the mind" bullshit?
>>
>>62581653
What part?
>>
>>62581453
Are you slow or what?
I was pointing that out to prove to you, he has no fucking idea what he's talking about. None. At. All.
He could put out an album of himself farting into a fucking fan and people like you would spend hard earned money on it and claim it to be a work of a genius madman whos just misunderstood. You're fucking delusional.
I've probably listened to more hip-hop than you aswell, which makes it that much funnier replying to you.

>>62581476
I never implied people say it to me, did I?
I see people online throwing the word around at everything... Same with ''le fedora'' ''le tipping'' and all those other retarded fucking memes that you people use to try and end discussion without actually refuting anything.
Nice reading comprehension, bro. You're a real smart guy.
Again, hang yourself.
>>
>>62578603
FML is hella depressing man.

Like, are him and Kim in talks to divorce or something, ALREADY? Come on now.
>>
File: kill yourself please.png (51 KB, 339x298) Image search: [Google]
kill yourself please.png
51 KB, 339x298
>>62574150
>a lot of people think an album has problems
>OH MY GOD WHY DONT YOU THINK FOR YOURSELVES

You wouldn't be saying that if everybody was sucking his dick. Why don't you just kill yourself?
>>
>>62574150

>He sounds music

what the fuck does that even mean?
>>
>>62581307
in the end......indian......tribe called quest.....come on man you understand this
>>
>>62581716

I'm not surprised actually if that's true and yeah, it is super depressing. Probably one of my favorite tracks he's done.
>>
>>62581716
74 days, id say he did pretty good
>>
>>62581677
the beginning of part 1.
>>
>>62581554
So... Stop calling him a fucking genius then. It's not fucking hard to write rap lyrics similar to Kanye West's. I could find a fucking million other rappers that have probably spat similar verses before him but just didn't have recognition or the fame he has.

You're a fucking idiot.

>>62581588
I'm not lost, faggot. I don't even mind Kanye West. I've listened to all of his work. I'm just sick of hearing fucking idiots call other idiots genius'
Also, I'm sick of seeing people trying to convince other people that Kanye West is some sort of misunderstood genius because he sometimes rants about fashion...

I've got nothing against him at all. MBDTF was a fucking good album if going by hip-hops standards... same with 808's, despite what people say about it.
>>
>>62574374
7 is pretty accurate.
p4k are just hype chasers.
>>
>>62581825
you are a genius
>>
Album would be better if Kanye had a ghostwriter. He sounds like a kid off his meds on most of this
>>
>>62581626
>at the same time the content and theme speaks volumes
What fucking content?
What fucking themes?

You're the same type of faggot that thinks Tyler The Creator's albums were good because ''They've got like, a super cool, like, theme, you know? Like... It's got characters. Its one big story''

It is fucking retarded.

>>62581644
Fuck off and hang yourself
>>
>>62581874
If you listened to the fucking album he actually talks about this. Blatantly.
>>
>>62581857
Go to bed Drake.
>>
>>62581825
I never called him a genius at writing lyrics... personally i like him better at producing. the person asked for an example of good lyrics and i gave an example i think was ok. youre a fucking idiot for assuming otherwise, off my dick
>>
>>62581895

A U T I S M
U
T
I
S
M
>>
>>62581895
"It's retarded because I say so"

Okay, retard.
>>
>>62581895
Yeah I'm still not seeing the concept or themes people keep saying are present on The Life of Pablo.

It seems like a mess of ideas more than anything. It's like Kanye was scrambling to release something worthy of a grammy the day before the Grammys.
>>
>>62581913
Acknowledging that your shit is bad because you having mental issues does not make the music any better.
>>
>>62581694
>I never implied
>Retarded fucking memes
>You people
>Bro

Clearly not bait guys, this guy is a class-A autist. Avoid at all costs. This nigga's gonna pull an Elliot Rodger.
>>
>>62581946
I mean, I see and understand his points and even somewhat agree.

People went crazy when they found out Tyler's albums followed Haley Wolf (his persona) and Sam (another persona) and his love interests throughout life and whatnot. But it's literally just that, something to be taken at face value. These characters act out a teen aged soap opera and express their angst through their interactions with eachother.

As a commentary on any theme or concept however, it really doesn't add up to anything worth noting, yet people act as though it's FUCKING GENIUS HOLLLYYY SHIT!
>>
>>62581653
found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBYcOGkWEJY
>>
>>62581948
What I don't get is why people think an album having a concept or underlying theme makes the music good.
>>
>>62581928
personally i like him better at producing. the person asked for an example of youre a fucking idiot for assuming otherwise, off my dick

>personally i like him better at producing.
He uses samples from great songs and essentially remixes them. He's a glorified button pusher. His production would be great if he didn't rely on already great samples.
People think his production is amazing because half of the time they don't realise it's a sample. They think he created it all. Well, he fucking didn't alot of the time, maybe even most of the time. I heard unlisted/uncredited samples that had been slowed down on TLOP.

>good lyrics and i gave an example i think was ok.
And what the fuck do you know?
How much poetry have you read?
How many rap lyrics have you head?
What are your fucking credentials?

You don't know if something is lyrically okay because you have no fucking clue how to tell if they are good or not. You are retarded.

You wouldn't know how to turn a pint into piss.
>>
>>62574150
It is all over the place, and any cohesion was thrown out of the window with the numerous tracklist changes.

TLOP, is to my mind, Kanye's white album. He's thrown conventional form out of the window for a mashup of styles and sounds. The cover, which is equally erratic, is actually pretty reminiscent of the white album's cover even. Solid colour background with text.
>>
There are some great tracks here but I'm indifferent to about half of them and actively dislike a few (especially the "skits"). Disappointing.
>>
File: IMG_4669.jpg (18 KB, 251x190) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4669.jpg
18 KB, 251x190
>>62580766

>angry birds generation
>>
>>62582050
>How many rap lyrics have you head?

How dick you have you head?
>>
File: 1451530279135.jpg (9 KB, 263x192) Image search: [Google]
1451530279135.jpg
9 KB, 263x192
>2020 imma run the whole election

Is he really going to run?
>>
>Famous
>he still talks about southside niggas like he knows them

lol
>>
>>62582050
I know he uses samples, everyone knows he uses samples, come on. Why do you care how much fucking poetry I read, why do you care about my credentials? He asked for a lyric, I gave something that appealed to me, something I thought good. What are you even arguing about? i dont get it.
>>
>>62577123
what are you on about dude he's rapped like that in many songs before
>>
Did you know:

If you don't like this album, you don't have to listen to it?
>>
>>62581962
>>62581962
>>62581962
>>
>>62581946
Nah. It's retarded because I've actually read and heard good shit. You know, where they actually know what the fuck they are doing.

Kanye West's album themes are about as deep as his lyrics.
As I said earlier, you have to uneducated and easily impressed to find that shit impressive.
Only fucking morons who don't know anything call it genius and the majority of people buying it, only do so because it's as close to EDM as you can get without being EDM. It's EDM for blacks and ''Gangsta rap'' to most of the middle class whites.

Prove me wrong, fucker
>>
"no cohesion"
>not realising that all tracks after intermission are bonus
>>
>>62581521
OK, so what you're saying is you don't personally like hip hop music. Kanye isn't just bad, all hip hop lyrics are bad. According to you.

Thanks for giving your opinion on a genre you don't like.... loser
>>
>>62581992
You're literally talking in memes. Do you have an original thought that you could maybe use to actually add something to the discussion and thread or nah?

Hang
Yourself
Please
>>
>>62582050
>How much poetry have you read?
>How many rap lyrics have you head?
>What are your fucking credentials?

Approximately 536400 poems, 249943 'rap lyrics', and a PhD in rapology
>>
>>62582175
>if you dont like it dont watch it xD

Great job imitating a 12 year old on youtube. Should have thrown in a 'ur jus a hatur :('.
>>
>>62582203

oh lord, the insecurity and racism
>>
>>62582203
lol i've never seen so much anger about an album
>>
>>62582175

If you want to circlejerk go to reddit
>>
>>62582203
I never said I found his lyrics impressive are you fucking dense? I just said they weren't as bad as everyone said and there were themes within the lyrics.

I actually admitted they were fairly simple.

That doesn't change the emotional reality of what he talks about or the fantastic production on the album. Both of those are the main reasons why I like Kanye as an artist. Not fucking rhyme scheme

Holy shit you're a broken goddamn record go fuck yourself you smug autistic cunt.
>>
>caring so much about an album that you pay attention to the sounds of everything in depth to the point that you can tell if the album is or is not all over the place
i like the album. have listened to it once. some things were shit, some things were not. thats all. look at the songs as songs, not as an album.
>>
>>62582175
>MOOOOOOOM, PEOPLE ARE HAVING A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN ME ON THE INTERNET!
>>
>>62582013
>it really doesn't add up to anything worth noting, yet people act as though it's FUCKING GENIUS HOLLLYYY SHIT!
This. It's usually people who only listen to hip-hop. Usually people who have never read a single book in their lives. It's usually fucking idiots t b h.

>>62582038
I agree. Having one doesn't automatically make something GENIUS HOLY SHITTTT like people say about that shit.
>>
>>62581521
>>62581521
>>62581521
>>62581521
>>62581521

hey

http://genius.com/Subtle-nomanisisland-lyrics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKOMb5G5Gps
>>
>All of a sudden an Arthur Russell sample

Niiicee
>>
why is everyone on this site always so mad?
>>
>>62582310
>>62582274

strong projecting lol
>>
>>62574150
I like the instrumentals.
The lyrics are trash. But, for the most part, I've always thought Kanye was a weak lyricist.
>>
>>62582346

buzzword lol
>>
>>62575591
>MBA in music theory

FROM WHICH ACCREDITED INSTITUTION DID YOU RECEIVE SUCH A BEAUTIFUL MASTER'S
>>
>>62582321
And now he just sampled that obnoxious phone ringtone.

Goddamnit
>>
>>62582332
they get upset when everybody doesn't suck an artist's dick the moment his or her album drops.
>>
>>62582245
>Hang
>Yourself
>Please

Bahahahahaha
>>
>>62582332
Funneling our frustration with other parts of our lives to something we have a semblance (or illusion) of control over.

Having staunch opinions about music and pop culture makes us forget how trivial we are.
>>
>>62582129
You've got no answer... so you resort back to speaking in memes
Hang yourself

>>62582165
>everyone knows he uses samples,
No they don't. No they fucking don't. The majority of people think he creates everything because people have been spouting off shit so loudly about him being a ''genius producer'' that they think he creates it all.

And to the other questions... I care because you retards speak your opinion as if it is fact. It is not even slightly factual. He is not a genius. This is a fact. You go around screaming about how great he is while only listening to hip-hop. You go around claiming he's a genius poet when you've never read a single fucking poem in your life. Or ever read masterful shit that took the writer 50 years to write. One fucking poem. 50 years. Think about that... before you call retards who ryhme about bitches and clothes genius
>>
>>62582382
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

It doesn't hurt to google words you don't understand, senpie.
>>
It is AOTYAY
>>
>>62582438
>Forget

I remember on a daily basis you fucking shithead. That's why I'm here.
>>
>>62582426
people are complaining about this album more than talking about it or praising it.
>>
>>62580744
fuck you, link to stream?
>>
>>62582388
Princeton, I'm sure I don't have shit on your ITT Tech degree though, do I?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.