[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ok, all memes, dickriding, and hate aside, is le chocolatey meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 6
File: kanye.jpg (36 KB, 451x567) Image search: [Google]
kanye.jpg
36 KB, 451x567
ok, all memes, dickriding, and hate aside, is le chocolatey meme man the most relevant artist of the 21st century?

I'm genuinely curious, what other artists that have been around this long can generate this much hype for their album? Love it or hate it, holy fuck the internet blows up whenever he does something.

2004 to now. Who are his rivals?
>>
Kendrick may be getting there. Other than though no one.
>>
Adele
>>
>>62553145
You forgot Beyonce. I don't care for her that much personally, but she's been relevant way longer.
>>
>>62553194
Kendrick has only been around since 2011 if we wanna talk about actual actual hype.

I was thinking more Beyonce, Radiohead, Anco, fuck I don't even know. Who are Kanye's original contemporaries?
>>
>>62553240
got huge in 2011

>>62553292
this is a good answer
>>
>>62553293
None of those people touch his relevancy. Beyonce, maybe celebrity-wise but nowhere near musically. Radiohead musically yes but not celebrity-wise. AnCo...... lel no.
>>
>>62553292
>but she's been relevant way longer
Really? Not even my female friends listen to her, really. Kanye's bigger.
>>
>>62553194
Kendrick has released 3 albums. section.80 was good but he didn't totally have it yet. GKMC was AMAZING. TPAB was so fucking massively overrated, yeah it had a few good songs but just because you have a lot of things to say about racial tension in America doesn't mean you made a fucking masterpiece regardless of the quality of the music itself. Shit was really just an OK album.

But I get what you're saying and i'm really just ranting, we have to see how consistent K Dot can be with his future output. For now he's looking like a great rapper, whereas Kanye honest to god transcends what we thought being a rapper was supposed to be.
>>
>>62553293
Kanye doesn't have contemporaries
i'm not being hyperbolic, i'm not being a fanboy
that's the truth

you could name people who are better rappers but there's no one on his level as a whole
>>
>>62553145
Yes, easily.
>>
you know i honestly can't think of one. no rapper has really persisted through pop culture for so long, at least without such consistent quality
>>
>>62553145
he himself admitted drake is more relevant
>>
>>62553471
Drake runs the game right now, sure. But do you really think Drake would exist without 808s?
>>
>>62553401
The girls I know are the opposite, all over Beyonce whenever she drops something, or trying to project something from her music or music videos onto whatever they do or see.

Like how pervasive the Put A Ring On It & Run The World numbers are.
>>
>>62553403
I find it more difficult for purely lyrical rappers to stay relevant. Look at Ice Cube or wu-tang or lil wayne. You need to be like a Jay-Z or a Pusha, who can get on new trends and get hotter producers.

Maybe Kendrick will do it. I could see Drake lasting longer than kendrick desu
>>
>>62553471
yea and then he put The Life of Pablo out and everyone forgot who the fuck Drake was
Drake wouldn't exist without 808s and Heartbreak
what album of Drake's is even close to the same level as any Kanye album?

i say this as a guy who likes Drake
>>
Do we really need ANOTHER thread?
Is /mu/ being spammed as part of a viral marketing drive or do people actually listen to this shit.
>>
>>62553525
>>62553487
>>62553471
also Kanye has been around waaaay fucking longer than drake. let's see drake's seventh studio album get the same hype that TLOP did

there has to be someone outside of rap who has been as relevant as kanye
>>
Drake has yet to make anything that will be remembered as long as MBDTF, CD, or GKMC.

He's not in the conversation.
>>
>>62553544
the average age on mu I would guess is ~19 so yes, people really do listen to this shit anon. Maybe you don't get it because you're 35 years old and out of touch.
>>
>chocolatey meme man

looooool
>>
>>62553562
views is way more hyped than FLOP was
>>
>>62553544
stay mad
>>
>>62553691
you're missing the point. it's only his fourth album.

I do think drake has the potential to be as big as kanye five years from now but he's still playing catch up which takes him out of the conversation
>>
>>62553544
you must have never been around for a kanye album on /mu/
>>
>>62553562
Michael Jackson
Prince
The Beatles
Queen
Kiss

Only people I can think of at the top of my head I right now, I know over half these people are dead but that's how deep you have to go to find artists that reach his level of relevance at the point of being in the game for a long time and still being ultra relevant.
>>
>>62553779
I thought people were being "ironic"
>>
>>62553753
Drake is more popular right now than Kanye ever was, except maybe in 2007. He's never going to make an album as good as Kanye's better ones, but that's just obvious.
>>
>>62553847
I was gonna call underage but yeah I agree. Drake is on Jay-Z levels right now, but seriously around Late Registration and Graduation you seriously could not escape this fuckers music
>>
>>62553622
i'm 30 and love me some Kanye
was a freshman in college walking back to the dorms listening to College Dropout when it came out

>>62553562
he's been around over a decade as a solo artist, put out 7 albums which were all pretty innovative and unique in their own ways, not to mention the high level of quality he's maintained, he's got that rockstar quality, he's spawned countless imitators, he's made other rappers' careers, he's changed the rap landscape....
i don't think there's anyone close to his level
>>
NO RIVALS
kanye does everything to make "kanye". He makes his own beats goddamnit. What percentage of a taylor swift song does that bitch really make? Katy Perry probably doesn't even know what pro tools is. Every other artist anyone mentions is either the product or a team or they overestimating their populartiy
>>
>>62553814
>21st Century
>>
>>62553944
i love Ye but cmon for the most part he's always had producers and on Yeezus he was barely involved in production
>>
>>62553945
read his post man
there's no answer, so he went back further
>>
>>62553988
Obviously theres an insane amount of collaboration, but considering drake doesnt even write his own raps but come on, through the wire was 100% ye, thats something no one else can do. And holy fuck the people he collaborates with, theres gotta be a skill in surrounding yourself with talent right?
>>
now that the dust has settled, is he the voice of a generation?
>>
>>62553403
No he doesn't lel
You can really tell who's underage and who's not when they act like he's anywhere near as good as Andre 3000
>>
>>62553338
>got huge in 2011
she's always been hug dude
>>
>>62554160
x2
Kendricks great. Im not sure he could handle shit like elevator like andre
the dude could make static knock
>>
>>62554206
I'm talking abt Kanye
3stacks did everything first and everything better
>>
File: Adele-pregnant-e1346449948673.jpg (33 KB, 309x500) Image search: [Google]
Adele-pregnant-e1346449948673.jpg
33 KB, 309x500
>>62554204
>huge

True that
>>
>>62553525
>808's created R&B/rap fusion

Fucking kill yourself
>>
>>62553145
>$53 MILLION DOLLARS IN DEBT
$53 MILLION DOLLARS IN DEBT
>>
>>62554074
ya i get u F A M

>>62554304
first of all 808s isn't even R&B-ey

second you completely misinterpreted his statement you dongus. he means confessional cloudy autotuned-filled emotional rap
>>
File: The Life of Pablo.jpg (244 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
The Life of Pablo.jpg
244 KB, 1024x1024
GOAT chocolatey meme
>>
>>62554074
>drake doesnt even write his own raps
Why do people think this, has he admitted it?
>>
>>62554364
Which part of 808s is cloudy
>>
>>62553401
Are you kidding me? Even the women I know who identify as 'cawntree' where I live worship the ground Beyonce walks on.
>>
>>62554364
Dan, I don't love you back
>>
>>62553145
Drake, Adele, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, and now Kendrick.
>>
>>62554257
ahh, still true. Kanye isnt a great rapper, and no one really thinks he is. Hes rapping + beats + his tracks as a whole are obviously some of the most brilliant music of our generation though.
>>
>>62554160
who, the actor?

look, i LOVE Andre 3000, but Outkast was a duo. they lasted from like '94-'03 vs Kanye's 12 years and counting

i'd stack their discography up against Kanye's and call that pretty even (they do different things, obviously Outkast is more lyrical). as far as innovation, they stack up pretty closely.

Kanye's got them beat on # of great albums. Kanye had more fame, has put more rappers over, has had the bigger impact on the rap landscape.

i'd have a really hard time picking a favorite. i might go with Outkast. but if you factor in some of the other things we've been talking about, Kanye wins
>>
>>62554448
KANYE IS A WORSE RAPPER.
KANYE IS A BETTER MUSICIAN.
>>
>>62554438
>Drake
>Adele
>Taylor Swift
2008, but she copyrighted 1989 so I'll allow it
>Beyonce
yes but what has she really done for music
>Kendrick
>>
File: diameter spin person.gif (566 KB, 162x227) Image search: [Google]
diameter spin person.gif
566 KB, 162x227
>>62554398
how big is that rock you're under and when will your mum be out m8?
>>
>>62554431
;(

>>62554404
Welcome To Heartbreak
Amazing
Love Lockdown
Streetlights
Bad News

not as cloudy as Drake or anything, but it definitely paved the road
>>
>>62554448
>has had the bigger impact on the rap landscape.
top kek

Outkast put the South on the map when it came to Hip Hop. Geto Boys and Outkast basically created the South.

Common, Twista and Bone Thugs-N-Harmony were more influential for the Midwest than Kanye ever was
>>
>>62553403
Yeah this is accurate. Holy fuck /mu/ overrated TPAB.
>>
File: 1400103800665.gif (494 KB, 500x259) Image search: [Google]
1400103800665.gif
494 KB, 500x259
>>62554515
>yes but what has she really done for music
nigga are you for real?
>>
>memes aside
>>
>>62554398
He has like 15 people with him when he makes music, im sure some of them are rappers considering his ginger best friends a rapper. Someone suggests a dope line hes not gonna use it? Also he payed rapper from the GTA to work with him and theres recordings of some reference tracks he did that are pretty much lyrics to if your reading this. Those could easily just have been them doing some entirely unrelated to recording the album though
>>
>>62553499
Should have mentioned: not American.

>>62554405
No.
>>
>>62553471
right now. Overall, drake comes nowhere close
>>
>>62553145
The circle jerk is strong with him. No different than any other fad, you look back and say WTF was I thinking.
>>
>>62554666
>No.
Well Satan I'm not American either.
>>
>>62554584
>Holy fuck /mu/ overrated TPAB.
And so did pretty much everyone else. GKMC was great music with some commentary too obviously, TPAB was mainly "social commentary musical art piece"
>>
>>62554606
>a casual album drop changes music
admit it senpai, she has only recently grown more subversive

listen to dangerously in love again man, her fame has made her into this game changer, not her music
>>
>>62554633
I mean he's always been able to rap though, he has a mixtape from 2006 when there were clearly no ghostwriters around it isn't really different than how he sounds now. I can see him taking people's punchlines and stuff though
>>
>>62554733
Scandinavia here. I remember when Beyonce was bigger, but that was years ago and Kanye was still a thing then.
>>
>>62554560
in Kanye's time it wasn't about regions anymore
he created Drake, Wiz, Cudi, Travis Scott, Big Sean...

i dunno, i hear you. you're making me doubt myself a little. but i guess i was thinking it more as being able to directly trace the sound and hear it in other rappers
whereas how many rappers can you name that ever tried to do what Outkast did?
>>
>>62554728
only with Yeezus and WTT in my opinion. the rest of his stuff is gr8, especially his first three. 808s is trash but it really did completely change the landscape of hip hop
>>
>>62553622

35 years old and not liking Kanye = out of touch? Wow..
>>
>>62554767
definitely, i mean comeback season drake is at least childish gambino level
>>
>>62554813
>808s is trash

when will this meme end
>>
>>62554905
when people stop liking 808s, then "808s is trash" is no longer a meme but fact
>>
>>62554760
m8 for a female artist the music=fame especially when the fame is from anthems and music videos which have pioneered the way things are done within the industry
>>
>>62554807
>whereas how many rappers can you name that ever tried to do what Outkast did?
90s were a different era. it was about creating your own style not copying everyone else's

now everyone just sees what's popular and copies that. notice how many rappers are doing trap music because it makes a lot of money
>>
File: 1455497871146.jpg (69 KB, 995x964) Image search: [Google]
1455497871146.jpg
69 KB, 995x964
>>62554398
>>
>>62554807
He didnt create drake
drake created drake
if anyone created drake it was wayne obviously

travis scott was signed to ti before ye even knew who he was

cudi is terrible now, plain pat and emil created cudi

You sound like someone who wasnt around when outkast was big

obviously you wouldnt be able to hear how outkast has affected hip hop, and obviously andres effect would be lesser then ye's by now
>>
>>62554728
>fad

I'm sorry you can not like Kanye but to call him a fad at this point is just objectively wrong
>>
>>62555013
dude if you don't think Kanye is Drake's biggest influence I got some fucking news for you.

Also, every single person he listed has claimed Kanye as an influence. Hell the only people I can think of who're huge right now without listing kanye as an influence are top dawg
>>
>>62554807
OutKast were insanely influential. This isn't the greatest article but just poke around, loads of people cite them as influences
http://ca.complex.com/music/NaN/Invalid%20date/outkast-influence-on-hip-hop/et
>>
>>62554962
nah, i think it's more that Outkast was just too weird at the time for anyone to even think to copy them

>>62555013
you're talking about who discovered these guys, but you're ignoring who they were influenced by

i'm 30, i remember Stankonia dropping really well. i knew the Rosa Parks single before that but wasn't really old enough to remember ATLiens and Aquemini as a whole in their heyday

you're kind of ignoring UGK too

anyway look man, i wasn't straight up arguing for Kanye over Outkast. again, I LOVE OUTKAST. i argued for both sides. i just think that when you factor in mainstream appeal + sustaining a run, Kanye gets the nod. Outkast gets the nod in other ways
>>
>>62555169
everyone has influences, saying drake was made by kanye is like saying he stole his style

all those people you mentioned were great at creating a unique sound, like kanye and andre

kanye has influences. of which im sure outkast is one, and they were both big enough to obviously drastically alter music forever.

Kanye is more influential to MUSIC
Andre is more influential to RAP

and sorry to get personal but you sound like you dont know alot of pre 2000's hip hip, it wasnt always popular
>>
>>62555464
how can you infer that I don't know about pre 2000s hip hop by saying Kanye was his biggest influence.. I'd be shocked if Drake had influences other than kanye wayne and aaliyah lol

every single song on thank me later sounds like graduation mixed with 808s. kanye was very influenced by kast and rza but you can't really hear it on college dropout
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.