[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HAHA I KNEW THIS SHIT WASN'T DONE YET This album won't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: file.png (14 KB, 420x89) Image search: [Google]
file.png
14 KB, 420x89
HAHA I KNEW THIS SHIT WASN'T DONE YET

This album won't be finished for months
>>
kanye rules
>>
>>62546374
>release album
>hol up senpai let me add some songs
>release album for real this time
>wait a sec nigga lemme fix one of the songs real quick
JUST
>>
oh my god this is real. this release has been a fucking disaster
>>
I dislike Kanye's music but this is pretty entertaining
>>
he's going to change the name and album cover at least once more. I fucking guarantee it.
>>
>>62546437

It's performance art and intentional
>>
>>62546437

Do you really not think kanye is in on the joke here?
>>
>>62546485
:)
>>
>>62546485
It's terrible performance art. It's like a 1/10
>>
>>62546374
>inb4 he removed it from the album
>>
GENIUS
E
N
I
U
S
>>
Nigga you don't get do-overs for an ALBUM.

Album was iite. Should've kept the original album title and kept the original tracklisting which was, like, 9 or 10 tracks or some shit. Everything after Waves - sans FML and Faded - have no type of thematical connection with the first half of the album.
7/10
Better than Yeezus. I think he was in a better head space with this junt than he was with Yeezus.
>>
File: 1274581341703.jpg (34 KB, 305x350) Image search: [Google]
1274581341703.jpg
34 KB, 305x350
YES FUCK YES THAT VIC MENSA AND SIA PART ARE GOAT THANK YOU YEEZUS
>>
Kanye's intention is expising how vile the "geberal public" is. He wants people to react negatively towards him.
>>
>>62546485
lol whatever you need to say to yourself
>>
>>62546485
So the album sucks on purpose?
>>
>>62546526
>>62546628

I'm not even a Kane defender, but this is obvious all intentional and it's been effective, people have been talking about this album for weeks now because of the wacky rollout/changes
>>
>>62546546
30 hours does.
>>
>>62546485
This isnt even bait, /mu/ thinks this way now
>>
>>62546374
literally thinks he has another week left
we could have a different album soon
good fucin god
>>
is someone gonna post ITT a mega or zippyshare to the final final (for real) final version of wolves when he releases it? so that i dont have to get autistic and shit about my download of TLOP not being the final official complete version
>>
>>62546489
I think Kanye is too stupid to even grasp the concept of humor.
>>
lol so post modern kanye wunderkind all praise jesus
>>
File: AHAHAHAHAH.jpg (64 KB, 640x714) Image search: [Google]
AHAHAHAHAH.jpg
64 KB, 640x714
>>62546374
woah
this is one wild ride
>>
What's wrong with him wanting to slightly change it? It hasn't been psychically released so what's the problem?
>>
anyone else hope he removes FACTS
>>
He knows he's done goofed and now he's going to degoof it, what a goofball!
>>
>>62546913
are the people who bought it getting a refund?
>>
>>62547000
go bleach ur asshole
>>
>>62547131
>implying i didn't grab it from what.cd
im just curious
>>
He should put out the "fixed" Wolves as a GOOD Friday track, if he's still doing those again like he said he was
>>
>>62547000
>buying music

wew lad
>>
>another kanye album where he whines about nike not liking his shit taste in fashion and how everyone keeps judging him

>classism is the new racism
>charges $300 for his shows

have you guys seen him speak on shows? he doesnt know what he's talking about. he's the kind of guy who think's he's an artist but really has no fucking clue what the art he compares himself to means

all he's good at is songwriting and producing

his fashion is terrible and I really hope nobody actually thinks he's a creative genius
>>
>>62546489
>>62546437

There is no joke.
It's 2016. You can drop some songs, test the water, and take them back if it ain't quite right...
This is the beauty of modern music and the dwindling role of major labels.
I don't care about "sticking to schedule" or any of that shit. Make the album better Kanye, nobody's stopping you.
Seriously how are you people not getting this? It may appear like a butchered release, but there IS NO RELEASE, only songs that comprise an "album". Kanye has an arranged a tracklist / has the album pretty well finished, but he can put it out/take it down/edit/put it back up as much as he wants. If he wanted he could change it multiple times throughout the year. It's his album dude...
>>
>>62546374
JESUS CHRIST STOP KANYE
JUST STOP
>>
>>62546374
he should fix his whole discography while he's at it
>>
>>62547315
*tips fedora*
>>
>>62547336
God isint real
>>
>>62547248
>This is the beauty of modern music
Do you really think it's beautiful when musicians are uncertain of their art and "test" it out before saying whether or not it's on the album?

This is the quintessence of what being a pussy is all about. It's a turn off when someone is uncertain about their art and has to "test it out" to see if people like it. And if they don't he'll play it off as a throwaway track, and if they do he'll say it's on the album. What a fucking pussy faggot I really hope you don't look up to people like this let alone make excuses for them.
>>
>>62547224
I don't mind that he released a few albums, but I do feel like he might benefit more if he continued being a behind-the-scenes musical genius like back in his Rocafella days. Or at least take some notes out of Jay-Z's playbook on how to be a better businessman instead of 'spazzing' and griping in public as a way to conduct business.

Those Walt Disney and Steve Jobs self-comparisons were embarrassing as fuck. I don't care how memeing he is, he needs to smarten up.
>>
>>62547429
You're throwing the word genius around too much. Just because you make good beats doesn't make you a "musical genius"
>>
>>62547248
preach nigga. When it's all said in done, we're gonna be looking at the final version of the album when we're looking back on it. I'm glad he didn't wait to release the "complete" version.
>>
Is he intentionally burning his legacy to the ground?
>>
>>62547486
I'd say that one of the highest form of intellect is the ability to synthesize creatively. There are a lot of influences on this album and none of them individually subsume the whole. It's new and old hip hop all at once.
>>
>>62547486
If you think so. I guess it doesn't take much to change the entire sonic landscape of a music genre twice. I wonder why nobody else had done it.
>>
>>62547410
this desu, kanye a coward
>>
>>62547593
>>62547588
you cant just say those things without providing evidence

what is he synthesizing creatively? how and what sonic landscape is he changing twice?
>>
>>62547410
>2016
>not crowd-sourcing your music
plen
>>
>>62546943
Facts isn't even bad you autist, how could you like the rest of the filler shit on the album and not like facts
>>
>>62547410
Well, I don't completely disagree...

It takes balls to commit to a release, for better or for worse.

But I mean, Kanye's been doing this shit for over a decade. He's earned the right to do whatever he feels it takes to put out something truly significant for our popular cultural zeitgeist.

Even the great albums of the last 50 years have been sprinkled with filler. That was a flaw of the music industry, literally forcing artists to follow a strict formula for how they release their music. Kanye's already proven he can write a great album, but he's now striving for perfection. Honestly, dude could die tomorrow... let him do what he feels he needs. He may be a dickhead, but there's no denying he's one of the most significant artists of our lifetime, and he's earned the right to handle his own output however he pleases. I'd rather Kanye put his own stamp on it than some old jewish dude telling him when it's finished.
>>
>>62547653
what the fuck does crowd-sourcing have to do with any of this?
>>
>>62547410
>implying he's not working on this for self satisfaction

You just don't get it.
>>
>>62547647
Heavy trap influence
Gospel vocals
Gospel chord progressions
Still hip-hop song structure

the melodic texture/timbers and the beats, are right in line with everything you'd hear today. but used differently than what you'd hear with these loud overproduced hip hop singles that you hear all the time.

you can make fun, danceable music without spamming bass. similarly, you can show restraint in your production without it sounding lazy.

can't wait for the Danny brown album. It better be epic
>>
>>62547721
lol your delusion is pretty funny desu. anyway im not here to rain down on your parade, if you rredditors think kanye is a creative genius then enjoy yourselves. i was just speaking objectively but i understand it's hard to understand when you're living in a bubble
>>
He wants us to see it in incomplete form so that we can see its problems apparently disappear as he tweaks the tracks so that when he says it's done we'll all think it's perfect
>>
I think this is the funniest release of an album. I hope he changes the album art, too
>>
this is post art
>>
>>62547702
>"test it out" to see if people like it >>62547429
eh
>>
File: 2aexcts.png (16 KB, 90x101) Image search: [Google]
2aexcts.png
16 KB, 90x101
>>62546708
How?
>that outro on 30 hours
>pic related
Shut up nigga and end the song or let the beat ride out.
>>
>>62546485
quite vague. care to put that white suburban mind to work and elaborate? my mind's clearly closed but I'm open to interesting explanations. i'll judge whether it makes a lick of sense or if it's genius. I'm a genius too :)
>>
>>62547809
wow i cant believe i've been conversing with someone that thinks this. holy shit i just realized im surrounded by a bunch of people who's knowledge of music is limited to p4k and rreddit/mu/ essentials

theres no use in trying to convince you guys otherwise. of course you think kanye's music is innovative, you havent listened to much else outside of your tiny bubble
>>
>>62547809
>implying trap is a good thing

making a trap album is like selling out at this point
>>
>>62546485
Nice Poe's Law. It is legitimately difficult to tell if this is a real Kanye defender or a parody of Kanye defenders.
>>
>>62547647
Of rap music?

case i:
When he was producing for Rocafella records, he basically invented the whole sped-up soul samples production style that got copied many times over.

case ii:
Although it gets downplayed, 808s and Heartbreaks had a huge influence on the sound of rap- most notably influencing Drake to adopt most of Kanye's blueprint from that album and transpose it to his whole musical style.

There have been maybe a few handfuls of producers that can say they've had the same influence on rap's "sound":

Dr. Dre (NWA, The Chronic, The Chronic 2000)
Timbaland
RZA
Puffy
Lil Jon (Crunk music -> trap)
and Kanye West
>>
>>62546671
lol, doesn't change the quality of the music, just makes the circus crazier. i don't hate it tho. i'm a 6 - 7.
>>
>>62547809
>Heavy trap influence
>Gospel vocals
>Gospel chord progressions
>Still hip-hop song structure
and why is this deserving of the creative genius moniker?
>>
>>62546546
You do if you haven't released it yet.
>>
>>62547212
mu doesn't support artists, i agree. they just get fucked by them.
>>
>>62547887
give me some recommendations
>>
He's not adding Vic and Sia. He's literally fixing the song.

Skip to 1:25. The voice doesn't sync up with the instrumental. That's what he's fixing.
>>
>>62547977
It's not, all of that's been done before
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (35 KB, 711x400) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
35 KB, 711x400
>>62547887
plen ...... you wan sum fuk ?
>>
i like wolves tho
>>
>>62547000
thisss
>>
>>62546546
I still have the original release if you nigs want it
>>
>>62547930
This is pop music, trap is pop music.... nothing more to say.
>>
>>62547964
>he basically invented the whole sped-up soul samples production style that got copied many times over.
not the first to do it
>>62547964
>808s and Heartbreaks had a huge influence on the sound of rap- most notably influencing Drake to adopt most of Kanye's blueprint from that album and transpose it to his whole musical style.
are you implying that modern popular rap like drake is good?

also that list of producers is embarrassing on your part. dr dre and rza are really the only influential ones on there (for the better). there are at least 50 producers in the last 30 years who have had a more positive influence than the rest of that list. and the fact that you cant even think of more than 2 leads me to believe i'm talking to someone with a limited knowledge of hip hop. which explains why you think kanye west's production is innovative
>>
>>62547887
I'm >>62547964

Not >>62547809

But I'm pretty much agree with what that person has posted. If you don't think that Kanye has had tremendous influence over the sound of rap over the past 18 years, then I can't say that you've been paying attention.

If you don't think he's a "musical genius," please feel free to provide evidence of why you don't particularly think so. Instead of, you know, generally characterizing who you think you're talking to on an Anonymous message board.
>>
>>62548028
>>62547977
never well I'd say, but that's what the disagreement
>>
This is why he leaked it.
He wants a 10/10 album, so ye waits for all the critics/fans to spot the bad about his album and fix it then.
That's why it's not a big release yet.
>>
>>62548163
He's never going to get a 10/10 if he tries to please everyone
>>
ahhhh I get it. It's SUPPOSED to be unfinished garbage.

GENIUS
E
N
I
U
S
>>
>>62548163
this is why i think he's a pussy
>>
>>62548163
i can't tell if that is an awful idea or a good one
>>
>>62548141
>implying Kanye did it well
>>
So lads, when's the inevitable divorce?
>>
>>62548064
would becool
>>
>>62548102
>are you implying that modern popular rap like drake is good?

Why would I imply that?

My essential arguement is that a creative, "musical genius" has influential ideas that can change the way whole genre 'sounds' for a period of time. Like any 'art movement' in history?
>>
>>62548102
> dr dre
You do know Dre didn't really make beats or anything, right? He wasn't a beat maker; all he does is give the beats a more grandiose sound - e.g., leveling the bass,/ slightly tweak shit.

Dr. Dre is just an overglorified music engineer.

You must be really white not to see how much of an impact Kanye's had on the sonic landscape of rap music.
>>
>>62548229
then the blood on the tracks
>>
Did Kanye release the Art of Fugue of our generation?
>>
>>62548223
The Star Wars fanbase has very strong opinions about this issue
>>
>>62547248
I actually agree with you whether you're trolling or not...
>>
plus all the top artists playing MINOR roles on this album. says a bit about the hierarchy lmao
>>
So this is the future of music releases. Soon enough, musicians will be streaming logic pro sessions on twitch for all to see. This album is going to change more than just the sound of hiphop for years to come.
>>
>>62548223
It's an awful idea for now, but in a few years, when nobody cares about the release of it, it will sound very polished and complete.
>>
>>62548238
ADDITIONALLY, I should add that I do not believe his current endeavors have been in any way currently, very "genius" or smart or good. All I am saying is that he has been a musical genius.

If people have problems with the word "genius," I suppose we could have a whole thesis unpacking what that word means, defining it, and whether it applies to certain people or musicians, but that exercise seems really pedantic.
>>
>>62547410
this is Ye's Government Plates. clashing success and failure together. it worked for DG but not for Ye. look at all this back pedaling.
>>
>>62548238
If you don't think he fits that description ....

listen to hip hop before yeezus
all the shit yeezus took
and then to hip hop after yeezus
??????
?????? prophet ??
>>
>>62548238
So for better or for worse, a musical genius is someone that can influence a generation of musicians? That's an interesting definition of the word genius because it implies that someone who makes shit art is a genius if it influences a lot of people to make the same shitty art.

I guess we're starting to distort the meaning of genius right now. Is a genius someone that makes other people think they're art is good, or simply someone that makes good art? I would hope its the latter but you kind of have to be a genius to convince people a piece of shit is a masterpiece. Not saying kanye's music is a piece of shit or anything, i'm just trying to make a point.
>>
>>62546485
It's certainly intentional. Since rap/hip hop is more a form of entertainment than art, people like to talk about it more so than they like to listen to it, and West and co. are simply taking advantage of that.

As for the performance art aspect, I'm not so sure, but I guess that's subjective.
>>
>>62548253
>over glorified music engineer

All those drums people sample? Yeah, great musicians were behind those drums, but great engineers were also responsible for how those drums "sound" on the record. So idk why you would downplay the accomplishments of a sound engineer, when their whole purpose is to, you know, ENGINEER THE SOUND.
>>
>>62548064
Post it, moe.
>>62547992
It's on Tidal and available for purchase.
>>
>>62548320
>clashing success and failure together.
how was government plates clashing failure with success? it was just a great album
>>
>>62548298
not trolling man,
I've been in a band for 5 years having only released recordings for feedback and then deleting them. It's a vicious cycle, and sometimes you need an artist to just "jump" - but it's the state of modern music. There are no excuses for releasing bad music, and you DESERVE to be ripped to shreds for putting something out that isn't up to par. If it's not good enough, hold out til it is.
>>
>>62548346
>yeezus

My argument doesn't apply to Yeezus.

I think Yeezus was trash.

All of his in-house work with Rocafella records on Jay-Z albums and Beanie Sigel records, the College Dropout and Late Registration, 808s, and MBDTF really apply.
>>
Why does he have to be a genius or a hack to most people? Personally I think when he releases an album that he has a couple of fresh ideas that keeps the music interesting for a longer period than your average rap album and it normally helps that he tries to have a flowing concept. This doesn't make him a genius but I respect his attempts to raise the bar. It just seems like at least he keeps his ear to the charts and tried to spot a hole to fill and normally he's quite successful.
>>
>>62548364
People say Zappa was a genius too.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>62548237
>>62548402
https://mega.nz/#!7NED1IQI!N-9jndvr1Dx_6PuKpGfEx8IHIN2WgI3S0NrR5jVsXmU

Here you go anons
>>
>>62548435
tru and those were his best albums.

but, the fact that even "shitty" Yeezus was influential, says something
>>
>>62548467
It's mostly two circlejerks, one that thinks Kanye is the new John Lennon and the other one that is vehemently reactionary
>>
File: 12 year olds.png (143 KB, 1192x382) Image search: [Google]
12 year olds.png
143 KB, 1192x382
musicians are like student's now, asking teachers (fans) to proof read their work to their liking before submitting it

how can you call kanye a genius when it's the fans that decide what is good and what isnt

so does this prove that scaruffi's last point about the meaning of art is true?
>>
>>62548500
a bit small no
>>
>>62548495
Certainly more so than Kanye but >>62548467 is right
>>
>>62548503
Yeah. I guess I would have to unfortunately agree with that, and the implications of Yeezus's influence.
>>
Track Listing nOt Permanent
>>
File: tlop.jpg (145 KB, 935x577) Image search: [Google]
tlop.jpg
145 KB, 935x577
>>62548542
yeah the copy I have has bad compression
>>
File: 1pEhPtv.png (35 KB, 121x195) Image search: [Google]
1pEhPtv.png
35 KB, 121x195
>>62548378
Except you made it sound(double entendre dont even ask me how) that Dre played a hand in how rap music sounds today.
Not really. He is more of a cult of personality than a pioneer in the genre.
I'd liken him to Eazy E.

Without Kanye, 50 cent's model for the genre would still be a thing.

Don't let Kanye's antic skew how you look at his contribution to the genre.
>>62548500
>pic related
>>
>>62548467
heresy
>>
>>62548530
yes.
>>
>>62548567
I would say I agree with >>62548467 as well,

but isn't a genius someone who is able to find those holes to fill, approach something from a different angle, and do things in a way people haven't really thought of before?
>>
just wanted to say that i really like the discussion we're having in this thread. i'm the guy who's saying kanye isnt a genius but it's leading to some insightful stuff like this >>62548530
are we really in a new era of releasing music? how do you guys feel about this? i have many gripes about it but does anyone think it's a good thing? and why
>>
>>62548530
People take this blurb completely out of context. We're all critics and we collectively decide what is good art and what isn't, which means that we ultimately drive art's progression and direction. People who perceive this as Scaruffi thinking he's the shit are just naive teenagers with a shallow understanding of art, society and music.
>>
>>62548697
i bet your mothers pussy tastes good faggot
>>
>>62548530
>that filename
I hope you realize the irony in your own post for the sake of your dignity
>>
>>62548623
All I need to point to is The Chronic, which influence G-funk and the whole Westcoast sound, and The Chronic 2000 (which is really Scott Storch, and Mark and Jeff Bass' contributions), which adapted on that sound and influenced how NY hip hop sounded in the early 2000s.

I suppose Dr Dre is not solely responsible, but if he hadn't cultivated other artists to be involved in his work, would there even be a Westcoast g-funk sound?

>Without Kanye, 50 cent's model for the genre would still be a thing.

Isn't that pretty important too?
>>
File: 1398469523698.jpg (27 KB, 350x335) Image search: [Google]
1398469523698.jpg
27 KB, 350x335
>>62548756
you're a big guy for me
>>
>>62548729
gb2reddit
>>
>>62548796
not helping your case kiddo
>>
He's probably just fixing the beat fuckup at 1:26, he cut Vic and Sia for a reason.
>>
>>62547887
you might have autism :-/
>>
>>62547248
I would agree with this completely if he wasn't selling it for money every time. I love the idea of an artist "releasing" an album, getting feedback from fans/critics, and then fixing what he/she deems necessary. No real release feels like the next step from all the surprise releases that artists are doing these days. But I don't think you can put out a product for $9.99 or whatever and then tell everybody "no, wait guys, that's not the whole/finished thing, but this new version instead." It's just a middle finger in the face of everyone that actually wants to support you.
>>62547410
I don't really see it as "testing it out", it's more of a collaborative and communal thing with the fans. Whether or not this was Kanye's intention, I still think it's cool that he'll listen to what the fans have to say and actually taking it to heart and trying to put out a better product.
>>62548320
Oh look, another Kanye thread where someone asserts some spurious relation to DG, what a surprise.
>>62548253
>You do know Dre didn't really make beats or anything, right?
Really? That's kinda disappointing, I did some quick Googling and apparently Daz ghost produced most of The Chronic and Doggystyle?
>>
>>62548670
it's the soundcloud era. half-baked ideas, unofficial releases, experiments whose success/failure is based on the wisdom of the mob.

is this a good thing?

who knows. it's good in that it moves art forward and a quicker pace. it's bad in that we don't get pinnacles of achievement by a singular genius; we get a glut of variations on a theme, tire, and move on to the next.

i'd much prefer established artists birthing fully-formed albums. statements. markers of where they are now.

the lad above said it best: public workshopping is some student-level shit. it's not like he needs more feedback; this dude has a dozen producers/collaborators working with him on everything. nothing great comes from a committee, but we've entered the age of the committee, meaning we've entered the age of mediocrity.
>>
>>62547964
dude drake was on that style before 808s even came out and drakes sound honestly isnt even that close to 808s, and kanye certainly didnt invent soul-samples in hip hop

i will concede he arguably popularized it but lets not just make shit up
>>
>>62548781
>Isn't that pretty important too?
Idk what that means but, yeah, 50 was a pioneer in the genre - up until Kanye usurped him and the Ja Rule model(RnB-lite shit with gangsta aesthetic) that was a thing in rap at the time.
When Kanye was just a producer(in the rap sense - not the white people sense; meaning, making beats), he was getting a lot of attention for bringing the genre back to that soulful shit.

Again, prior to Kanye's gradual rise to stardom, (most) rap used to sound like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRcnnId15BA
>>
Okay, he's manic depressive. I tried to ignore it but his actions are far too much like my cousin.
>>
>>62547410
It's like you have absolutely no knowledge of music before the 1960s.
>>
>>62546374
> I decided not to sell my album for another week. Please subscribe to tidal.

I thought it was for sale on Tidal? What the fuck I fucking hate this Tidal cunt so much.
>>
>>62547887
you are probably a person that thinks the more "experimental" something sounds the more innovative it is. music can be accessible and innovative at the same time. you are the one who doesn't understand music, not everyone else. you are in the angsty teen stage of musical development, it will pass.
>>
File: Thiskillstheman.png (105 KB, 283x302) Image search: [Google]
Thiskillstheman.png
105 KB, 283x302
>>62548314
jesus you kanye stans are so fucking pseudo-intellectual

>have a whole thesis
>seems really pedantic

do you even know what youre talking about? this is like the im a freshmen english major starter pack
>>
>>62547410
You must be a stupid person.
>>
>>62549051
manic depressive is the optimal condition for making music. you go into the depths of hell in your mind for a while and then you come back and are able to frantically document your experience in music.

obviously not the only way to make music, but it works well.
>>
>>62548977
He hasn't charged anybody anything yet. He's not selling the album until he thinks it's perfect.
>>
>>62549023
wholeheartedly agree with this entire post. it blows my mind when someone justifies this kind of thing
>>
>>62548977
Hmmm.... I mean, I'm not Kanye so I have no idea how he'll go about this... but is it really that inconceivable that any "ammendments" he makes could be downloaded as an "update" for those that have already purchased it? Just a thought.

Here's an analogy I just pulled outta my ass... treat these songs like cars. The 2015 Honda Accord isn't reaaaallly all that different from the 2016, but is an altogether different beast if you really want to get down to it. Yeezy can update the same songs a year from now if he wants, add different features (whoever's hot at the time, etc.). That's just music in 2016, man. It's almost antiquated for him to release an "album" at all, brother.
>>
I realize I've posted a lot of rhetorical questions in this thread.

I guess, finally, I would say that if we are uncomfortable with the term 'genius' being applied to Kanye, I would say that's fine.

His best work, in my personal opinion, resided in the 1998-2011 years. Most 'genius' results from, again my opinion, in being able to see and figure out a way to do things that isn't being done by others. The ends to which, especially in music, are highly subjective.

Currently, if I am to say that Kanye West is any sort of musical genius, I might explain his current run as a waste of his potential or that he has run out of 'good' ideas.

The 'genius' term is very loaded and is not specific enough, and when applied it will not always be agreed upon that its application is correct. When compared other musical genius of the past, I think I can imagine it not being a fair comparison: nobody will accept Kanye West next to Beethoven. And personally, I think that is fine.

BUT, I would like to invite others to look for comparison's sake, other artists within Hip Hop/Rap where 'musical genius' or 'genius' generally apply. Personally, I would say Jay Z is another contender for that title. But this exercise still stands.

>>62549031
Not 'soul samples' but sped-up soul samples? I mean, it seems really simple, but how many producers were just taking slower songs and speeding them up 33.333% and making a whole beat out of it?

>>62549043
Well, 50's first album was excutive produced by Dr. Dre. I'd say Dre's blueprint for album structure bled through to 50.

But yeah, the Swiss Beatz/Irv Gotti production of the late 1990s was pretty prevalent, even on Jay Z's work. Kanye didn't start producing on Jay's albums until the Blueprint, which came out before Get Rich or Die Tryin'. The soul sound was already at work.
>>
>>62549225
Exactly. I love that he's doing this. Let me stream it for now and I'll pay whatever he asks when the final version is released. It's already a 10/10. With a few tweaks it might actually be album of the life.

Praise Yeezus.
>>
>>62549162
Where's the lie, t h o?
>>
>>62549023
It's really sad that it's come to this. He's essentially doing what pop stars are doing; making music that appeals to as large of an audience as possible. It takes time and effort to try and do that alone, so why not let the public do it for you?

I'm not a fan of it but it appears to be working judging by the stans in this thread
>>
>>62548163
that's his problem. people pleaser instead of doing what he wants to do. the backlash is making him do this, not artistic integrity or intuition. I'm glad his art is blowing up in his face.
>>
>>62547248
So Kanye is now the George Lucas of the music industry?
>>
>>62549312
This really should say 2000-2011. Ten years is a good run, I think.
>>
>>62548223
it can be both ya know :) depends on the perspective.
>>
>>62546437
This is the future of music. I'm excited as fuck for the future.
>>
>>62549185
I mean he mentions on one of the songs (can't remember which) that he takes Lexapro.
>>62549225
Oh, I'm not sure about how the whole Tidal thing works, I just assumed you could buy it from there or something.
>>62549023
>who knows. it's good in that it moves art forward and a quicker pace. it's bad in that we don't get pinnacles of achievement by a singular genius; we get a glut of variations on a theme, tire, and move on to the next.
Yeah, I see what you're saying here. I don't think that necessarily means we've entered some era of mediocrity, but the artist should know what the artist wants to do more than the fans think they do.
>>62549294
>is it really that inconceivable that any "ammendments" he makes could be downloaded as an "update" for those that have already purchased it?
That would be a cool way to go about it, and I'd love to see how well it all goes over.
>Yeezy can update the same songs a year from now if he wants, add different features (whoever's hot at the time, etc.).
This bit I sort of don't like. There's no real purpose in releasing something as an album then, because if tracks are constantly being updated all the time then there's not going to be much cohesion between them. I would like to think that an album is supposed to be more than just a collection of good songs, because that's typically what the really great albums are.
>>
>>62548310
that's been happening, it's just kind of sad and pathetic right now, but who knows, maybe Ye can shed some light on it. i like bad ideas. It changes people and that's the interesting part.
>>
File: kaja.png (14 KB, 586x113) Image search: [Google]
kaja.png
14 KB, 586x113
why, exactly, is this allowed?
>>
Yeezy changing the game once again
>>
>>62549570
lol
>>
>>62549570
for big bro
>>
>>62549570

He really needs to stay off twitter.
>>
>>62548403
that's the nature of experimentation. I'm with you on enjoying GP, but at the same time I can see why it can be "broken" to some. being terrible is totally okay.
>>
I don’t know if the song changed or if this is just a beat switch but this record sounds grimey. Real grimey. These strings belong inside a haunted house. Liking this Kanye flow. Nice energy. The beat hasn’t dropped yet but I’m expecting a bomb. Kanye might be a swinger. The drums dropped and my soul didn’t lift as high as I thought it would. This one is a bit strange, and another beat switch. I don’t know if this is the loop or my stream is stuttering. So far "Feedback" is one of the least impressive offerings.
>>
>>62549621
he needs to tweet more
>>
>>62549570
Jayz set him up with way more than he'd ever earn from first week sales alone.

Worth it, if he really in in debt.
>>
>>62546485
KTT.txt
>>
>>62546485
>Tfw completely ok with this theory even though I'm a normal nigga
How brainwashed am I?
>>
>be kanye
>fuck with /mu/
>>
So I can expect this to not sound muddy in a week?
>>
>>62548403
i can see the greatness and missed opportunities, so much that I think it's intentional. that's the fabric of experimentation. zero people pleasing.
>>
File: for what purpose.jpg (12 KB, 213x300) Image search: [Google]
for what purpose.jpg
12 KB, 213x300
>>62549667
when you get over the "it's performance art" you learn to dissect whether the performance art is any good

just because something does bad intentionally, the message behind it is as important as the action itself

if you do a shitty thing w/o meaning, you just did a shitty thing
>>
>>62549647
All entertainers are in some type of debt; Kanye doesn't have blue blood money.
He was just bitching about something all entertainers go through.
Rich people can have debt; poor people can't.
>>
>>62548977
DG was bound to happen
>>
>>62549023
>i'd much prefer established artists birthing fully-formed albums. statements. markers of where they are now
That's exactly what GP was.
>>
>>62546671
its still gunna sell like shit and if he doesn't get drake or future to tour with him it'll be his least profitable one yet. album was a flop, shitty marketing won't save it.
>>
super lightmeme
>>
>>62549767
It's one thing to have an $18 million dollar loan on a $20 million house. It's one thing if you've got millions of dollars in debt that funded a profitable business.

It's quite another if you have tens of millions of dollar in unsecured debt that you racked up on god knows what.

We don't have all the details on Kanye's financial situation, but I don't think things sound good.
>>
>>62549185
speaking from the flames of my depression, it def holds many secrets but it shreds your idea of potential. if you stay with your dark thoughts too much, they'll take chunks out till you're a nub. TLOP's release makes sense in a mad world. THE difference is I'm no stan. i think it's a 6 or a 7.
>>
>>62549750
ok but now it's time to decide if what he did was shitty or not. making the development of stuff public is becoming the new norm in a lot of stuff. the only way it could be considered shitty is if he charged for the album and kept changing it, and he didn't do that.
>>
>>62549338
your fanboyism, along with a lot of others, is completely yours. give him your money forever.
>>
>>62549969
Nah, Kanye good. He can afford to be in debt.
>>
>>62549570
what did he mean by this?
>>
fix what? wolves is great
>>
File: f5e.png (386 KB, 575x638) Image search: [Google]
f5e.png
386 KB, 575x638
>>62546485
>tfw when this guy is completely right
>tfw none of you can grasp this
Kanye is a master manipulator of public perception. He has lived in the public eye since 2010 and knows how to work a crowd as stupid as the American listening audience with ease. He resents this, and the weight of his power and greatest in this sense is a prevalent theme in his music. Kanye is at this point, whether you like him or not, one of the most influential people in the world, and it's idiotic to think he's not manipulating public perception through what sparse yet deliberate contact he makes with that public.
>>
here's a poll guys, everyone pitch in I can't tell what /mu/'s actual opinion on this thing is
http://strawpoll.me/6819666
http://strawpoll.me/6819666
>>
File: 1454362034499.jpg (13 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1454362034499.jpg
13 KB, 480x480
>>62550163
>people voting 10/10 i.e there is no better album
>>
>>62550163
10/10 was a meme since the begging.
>>
Is this the early access of albums?
>>
>>62548025
This guy is right.

There's some glitchy stuff going on in the background around that point. I'm sure thats what Kanye's referring to and I can't imagine he's changing anything besides that.
>>
>>62550349
S E A S O N P A S S

E

A

S

O

N

P

A

S

S
>>
>>62549999
nice quads.

but yeah depression can either eat you away or it can build you up. i go through 1-2 month cycles of deep depression followed by trying to pack all of my emotions into music, and it always builds me back up higher every time. at least for me, it just works for making music.
>>
I have to admit, I love the butthurt and shitstorm that this album's release caused on /mu/
>>
>>62550163

pretty evenly divided
>>
>>62546374
Seems like people never realized this but this is not the first time kanye have done it. The college dropout went trough various revisions before releasing the final mix and the album was already out.
>>
File: sometimes.jpg (105 KB, 541x700) Image search: [Google]
sometimes.jpg
105 KB, 541x700
So, let me see if I actually understood /mu/s opinion here.

You're considering Kanye to be innovative for the fact that he's sharing his creative process to public reaction?
>>
>>62550059

meh i think its dum
>>
>>62550234
thats not what 10/10 means at all you idiot. OH FUCK DUDE YOU ACTUALLY THINK THAT MUSIC IS LIKE A GAME SHOW WHERE THE BEST ALBUM WINS? OH NOOOOOOOOOO LOL MAN THATS SO WRONG I FEEL BAD FOR YOU HAHA
>>
>>62550450
you dont get it
>>
>>62550488

>He thinks music isn't a game show where the best album wins

Holy fuck, how dense are you senpai? LOL i feel bad for you desu hahaha
>>
>>62550450

No he's innovative because of his music. Only the most idiot, dickriding Kanyefags care about his Twitter account or that he's making a remix of Wolves.
>>
>>62550450

I thought his early work his good. I don't care much for his current process.
>>
>>62549225
nobody wants to get that. this new kanye biz is great
>>
>>62550488
You are definitely a dumb bastard.
>>
#KANYEWATCH2016
>>
>>62550234
my god
we have encountered pure cancer
>>
>>62550592
enlighten me on your perspective.
>>
>tfw such a normie that my gf is making wait to listen to TLOP over Valentines dinner

I threw on Yeezus for the first time since it came out. Better than I remembered, if I'm being honest to my family members.
>>
>>62550488
We lynch dumb niggers around here boy.
>>
TLOP was a fake album he made to sell to Martin Shkreli
He mocked it up and hyped it after receiving the offer and changed it back after Shkreli tweeted about being scammed
>>
which wild ride is crazier, mr. west's or mr. sakurai's?
>>
>>62550641
Do you agree that albums can be compared in terms of quality?

If they can, that means there is a theoretical ordering on the list of albums (everyone has their own subjective ordering).

The value of an album in this ordering is the score out of ten.

10/10 is the maximum value in this ordering. Therefore there is no album better than an album that is 10/10.

Do you understand now, dumdum?
>>
>>62550687
is your gfs kid excited to hear it ?
>>
>>62550735
thas nutz
>>
>>62547000
it's tidal. they've bought the album, so they'll have the tracks for download when he changes em.
>>
>>62550687

yeah i recently revisted yeezus and now its myy 2nd favorite album of his. Black Skinhead, Blood on the leaves, Bound 2, are just so damn good,
>>
Did anybody here actually buy the album from Tidal? I tried to earlier but couldn't, is that cause its only streaming on Tidal?
>>
>>62546374
Is this the musical equivalent of DLC?
>>
>>62546437
WEW LAD
>>
>>62550791
Lol? My gf is 21...

No. I don't think she cares thaaat much about Kanye West, really. She just said: "I never wait for her" with movies, tv, new albums, etc. so I said I'll wait.

Listened to Ultra Light beam last night though... was feelin it so tough that I actually don't mind waiting to share it. We both love Chance too, she's gonna flip when she hears him crush that track.
>>
>>62550869
Everyone with sense pirated it, especially after the stunt he's pulled.
>>
i want to get off the ride
>>
>>62549999
good to hear, anon :)
>>
>>62550869
>I tried to earlier but couldn't
They removed the option to buy
>>
>>62550911
so the kid is with her boyfriend tonight ?
>>
File: stencil 1.jpg (132 KB, 560x600) Image search: [Google]
stencil 1.jpg
132 KB, 560x600
>>62550497

I'm trying to. I gotta say I'm listening to the album right now and it's nothing way far from interesting.

>>62550524

>He's innovative because of his music

like how?
>>
So does anyone else think this is absolute trash?
>>
>>62550234
oh nooooooo youre so dumb
>>
>>62550911
also, in reference to that first track. Is the rest of the album so... transcendental? Like, I don't mean to say it's a revelatory experience... but obviously he's gone beyond grandiose on that track. He's going to an otherworldly, almost religious place. I haven't heard "Waves" obviously, but the lyrics I've read make it seem like it's on the same plain... you know, like metaphysical "ultra light beams" of clarity, "waves" of human condition, etc.....
>>
>>62551019

yeah
>>
>>62546374
Kanye's basically just trying to please everyone at this point. That's why he's doing this. That's why he put Waves back on the album. That's why Silver Surfer Intermission and everything after it is on there. Kanye no longer cares about vision. He just wants people to be happy and support his album.
>>
File: gudbait.jpg (11 KB, 299x300) Image search: [Google]
gudbait.jpg
11 KB, 299x300
>>62550234
>>
I hope he's not talking about that troll beat at 1:30, love that, hope he's just getting vic and sia back.
>>
>>62550439
thank you m8, I did think that myself
>>
>>62549570
how the fuck is he in debt? wouldn't jay just give him 100 mil or some shit.
didn't yeezys make him even richer?
>>
>>62551019
WAKE UP NIGGA WAKE UP
>>
Honestly, people will look back at this album and talk about how fucking convoluted the release was.
>>
>>62551209
WHICH IS A SHAME BECAUSE THE ALBUM ITSELF IS GREAT
>>
>>62551209
just like they're odin gnow?
>>
>>62551019
I haven't seen you around here in a while you piece of shit.

But yeah, it is obviously a shit album.
>>
>people actually thinking he is adding Sia and Vic back
that's not what he means by "fixing"
>>
>>62546485
The greatest mistake a critic can commit while examining Kanye's work is to consider it art in the traditional sense. Kanye is making history as a troll. The reactions he gets are priceless, specially from the fanbois who struggle to justify every stupid thing he does. He's doing on a massive scale what the amateurs here can only dream of.
>>
>>62550783
yes but there is more diversity to music than that. its not all just "music". there could be two albums that are both perfect to you but are suited for completely different mindsets. so at times, one album might be more enjoyable than the other, but that doesnt mean that the other one is no longer a perfect album to you.

every album thats worth anything has a slightly different approach, and your mindset heavily affects how you react to each approach. and your mindset changes over time.
>>
File: 1454631844780.jpg (229 KB, 627x720) Image search: [Google]
1454631844780.jpg
229 KB, 627x720
>mfw i stayed up all night (brit), watched god awful snl, waited for the tidal release fuck up to be sorted, endured yasiin bey still saying 'peace', and it wasnt even the finished album
>>
>>62551019
your trash
>>
>>62551433
nobody does that shit man. thats shit from movies. you cant make albums upon albums of music that you don't believe in and are just making to get reactions out of people. this terrible mindset of thinking that its possible to make music from a completely outside perspective is probably exactly what contributes to so many failed musicians on here talking about how they can't make anything that they want to make.
>>
>>62550441
I had this thought in the back of my head. The Wire on the final release was definitely rough when I first heard it.
>>
>>62551668

Also 808's got hella changed a week before release. I still remember that original mix of Robocop it was dope.
>>
>>62550450
nobody thinks its innovative, but the people that are pissed about it are clearly thinking about it in the wrong way.
>>
>>62546374
>The Life Of Pablo (WIP)
He should just make the tracks open source and release it on github so we could get the best mix of all time, a la Leenoox.

The final mix would be called GNU/TLOP.
>>
>>62551797
Yo

that would be awesome if the world wasnt packed with terrible artists and trolls
>>
>>62551451
Then you should rate them to the degree to which they adhere to your chosen definition of quality, and state your definition of that quality along with the rating. The definition of quality in the poll was unspecified, so it is assumed that "overall quality" was the implied metric, which is the same metric that every music critic uses.
>>
File: 1452324206073.gif (2 MB, 390x212) Image search: [Google]
1452324206073.gif
2 MB, 390x212
>Pre-ordered the fucking album
>Wont be able to get it for a week after it was fucking released
>>
>>62549570

the longer it stays exclusive to tidal, the longer he losses sales.

> not available on itunes
> cant buy it in the store

people will resort to torrent the album.
like [spoiler]us[/spoiler]
>>
>>62551851
thats true. i just dont see how that kind of POV is useful unless youre a professional critic.to me, as a music listener it makes more sense to just see albums as all having their own unique sources of enjoyment that fit at different times.
>>
>>62551503
yeah, because Kanye West releasing his 7th studio album is about YOU
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.