[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: artists/bands you can't help but dislike
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3
File: SY.jpg (107 KB, 479x432) Image search: [Google]
SY.jpg
107 KB, 479x432
Bands and artists that you tried hard to enjoy but never succeeded

Mine is pic related
>>
>inb4 the general essentials, anything thats got p4k BNM, most dadrock and memerap
>>
>>62008602
there is nothing wrong with talking about disliking any of those things
>>
>>62008602
Nailed it
>>
>Pixies
>Joy Division
>St. Vincent

I tried and tried. Wouldn't go as far as saying that they're bad just because I don't like them, but aside from a few tracks, they surely sound bad to me
>>
>>62008602

The only actual memerap album is Acid Rap, it's also the worst album of the decade, maybe of all time.
>>
>>62008923
feel like you're thinking of Because the Internet
>>
>>62008881
>Pixies
>Joy Division
I agree, for me it's mostly how disjointed the vocals are from the instrumental.
>>
>>62008961
I love joy division and the pixies are great but I understand what you mean
>>
>>62008961
>>62008881
i love the pixies
>>
swans
>>
>>62009128
i enjoy some tracks on sftb but i just don't like them at all
>>
i fucking hate toby driver and everything he's been involved with

like steven wilson but even more hollow and overly sentimental, if such a thing was possible
>>
Björk
St Vincent
Sufjan Stevens
Animal Collective
The Smiths
Devo
The Descendents

i tried guys but it just wasnt happening
>>
Sufjan Stevens, tried listening to Illinoise 5 times, couldn't pay attention even through half of it.
>>
I've tried multiple times to listen to Merzbow and it makes my ears bleed and I don't understand the appeal or the artistic merit
>>
>>62009152
i love him but some of his projects are just pretentious

choirs of the eye and motw is some of the best music ever though
>>
>>62008584
ITT: People find out they don't like everything acclaimed and are actually capable of forming their own opinions.
>>
>>62008584

God Sonic Youth would be a million times better without Kim Gordon
>>
Neutral Milk Hotel
>>
>>62009264
I am a Bjork fanboy but I really don't think her music is for everybody
>>
File: image.jpg (245 KB, 1120x839) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
245 KB, 1120x839
>smells like teen angst
No thank you.
>>
Rollins Band
St. Vincent
Pixies
Weezer
>>
>>62009284
Same but with Carrie & Lowell.
>>
>>62008881
>>62009264
>>62010091
I find it strange that St. Vincent is so polarizing that some people just can't get into her music. What exactly is the issue you guys have? Besides the persona she has right now, which shouldn't be impacting you much anyway.

>>62008961
I actually really like when the vocals seem detached. I haven't listened to Pixies but maybe I should. I've been listening to Joy Division lately though and like them.
>>
>>62009330
You can't just jump into Merzbow, you gotta build up to it with other artists.
>>
Swans
Joy Division
Sonic Youth
Slint
pretty much any prog (King Crimson, Floyd, etc)
Aphex Twin
>>
>>62008881
>pixies

I tried listening to all their songs but i just can't enjoy it. I honestly only like the song where is my mind by them
>>
>>62010301
another more accessible track would be
Here Comes Your Man
I also immediately loved "Hey", great bass line and vocals
>>
>>62009995
I'm not the only one. I just can't get into Nirvana.
>>
>>62008881
I didn't like the Pixies much at first, I kind of prefer compositions that are a little more lush or varied. Their songs feel a little too direct for my liking, at first but that's like, actually part of the charm.
>>62010268
Disliking Swans/KC/Aphex Twin/ Slint
>>/out/
>>
>Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band
>Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Trout Mask Replica replica just sounds awful to me. Can't force myself to like it.

I don't think godspeed is bad, but i can't really listen to it too much. I don't really fully understand why people think it's one of the best bands
>>
>>62010355
>I don't really fully understand why people think GY!BE is one of the best bands

/mu/ is full of depressed borderline NEETs, that like depressing dreary music.
>>
>>62009128
yeah, they sound kinda good but I can't stand the edge.
>>
>>62008584
Kendrick and Swans
>>
Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson
>>
>>62008584
She's cute? Any nudes/sex tape?
>>
>>62010355
Listen to Slow Riot for Zero Kanada, short and sweet. I loved Lift Your Skinny Fists but I think there are certain parts of it that are drawn out
>>
Fucking Pavement! The singer sounds like he not even fucking trying! I cant believe theres people on here who seriously thin pavements waaay better than Modest Mouse or Built To Spill
>>
Talking Heads
>>
>>62010984
Modest Mouses vocals are awful m8
>>
>>62011018
its really not that bad, at least Isaac fucking tries with his lyrics Pavement just spouts random shit
>>
>>62010984
For me it's Built to Spill > Pavement > Modest Mouse.

I will say that Pavement is the most acquired taste for some reason, and I find MM to be the most easily accessible. But I scratch my head when anyone puts either of them over BtS, absolute god tier band right there.
>>
>>62010695
I'd have to say NIN as well. In fact a good amount of industrial music that I've heard never really resonated with me for some reason.
>>
Goth post-punk like Joy Division, Bauhaus, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. I went into it expecting more heavy shit like Haunted Horses, but it was fucking disappointing. The grooves and tones of a lot of post-punk sound cheesy and outdated to me, like 80s synth pop. Some of it lingers even with Savages today, but I like them for their heaviness.

Haunted Horses, though. If goth punk was full of noisy, heavy bands like them with tribal drumming and harshly atonal melodies, I'd fucking be on board.
>>
the beatles
pixies
animal collective
daft punk
red house painters
faust
aphex twin
sunn o)))
the flaming lips
pere ubu
guided by voices
>>
>>62011475
>if Bauhaus had noisy tribal drums
Fuck you you didn't even listen to In the Flat Field
>>
>>62011475
Try deathrock. It's goth but with more overt punk influence. So it should be heavier or more noisy.
>>
>>62008881
These, especially Pixies and Joy Divison. Weird thing is I love a lot of 90s alt-rock and early post-punk
>>
>>62011612
I did listen to that one, more than their others, and skimmed through it just now. Fuck off with your idea of "tribal drumming". Bauhaus' drummer just does shitty disco and slow autistic grooves. The only thing remotely "tribal" about his drumming is the tone of his toms.

I know it seems like I'm shitting on Bauhaus and post-punk, but I think they were pretty solid anyway. Just not my taste.

Haunted Horses seems to get compared to Bauhaus a lot, but I think their drumming styles are way different, and that makes a difference to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJZb6P_mVt0
>>
>>62008584
>artists/bands you can't help but dislike
all /mu/-related albums
100% of pretentious bullshit avantgarde
100% or rap
99% of indie rock bands
90% of the rest of rock music
>>
Gorillaz
>>
>>62008956
>>62008923
Both of those albums are God tier especially acid rap. Go drop acid.
>>
Devo. I tried all of their most acclaimed albums and I can't enjoy them at all, even admitting that they had interesting ideas/concept and were influential.
>>
>>62011619
Thanks. Although, I'm finding some good shit on last.fm right now under noise punk. A lot of deathrock seems more 80s punk influenced and still has that outdated sound to me.
>>
>>62008584
Andrew Jackson Jihad (I can't fucking stand the singer's voice)
My Bloody Valentine (didn't do anything for me)
Animal Collecive (what I heard from them was terrible)
>>
I've tried to like his shit but I just can't.
>>
>>62008584
First that comes to mind is Animal Collective.

I've listened to 4 of their albums in the past month and they just don't do anything for me.
>>
>>62008584
I agree strongly with Sonic Youth. I don't hate them butt they don't connect with me on any level.

>The Who (I can enjoy the early stuff but any post-Moon and in the trash it goes. Plus "Who Are You?" Really?! Fucking really?)
>Wavves (Met them, total dickheads. All they did was smoke weed and chuckle at their own jokes)
>Nirvana (Yo Kurt, I'm really happy for you, I'ma let you finish, but Ian had one of the best suicides of all time. OF ALL TIME!)
>The Smiths (Cry some more)
>Run The Jewels (AKA poor little white boy's first rap album)
>Iggy Pop/Stooges (I love a few of their songs/albums but I never loved Iggy enough to call myself a fan. Maybe I need more listens)
>>
>Hopsin
The dude's got amazing technical skill but his melodramatic "sad" voice and his self-righteous philosophy is just annoying. And don't even get me started on the train wreck that was Fly

Also, to those that don't like AnCo can I ask why? I've always been torn on them, love most of their work but really don't care for a few songs here and there. I'm curious to see what you all have to say

>>62012241
>Andrew Jackson Jihad
I almost want to fight you for that, but I do understand your point. His voice can get sort of whiny/cringey at times (which is actually what I like about it, but understand that others don't)
>>
>>62012375
You should try listening to his music instead
>>
>>62012241
these are all valid tho
>>
>>62012833
>amazing technical skill
so you don't know shit about making music
>>
>>62011919
Clint eastwood and feel good inc are the only songs i can listen to by them
>>
Siouxsie & The Banshees
>>
>/mu/ is full of people who will brainwash themselves to like certain artists to fit in
morbid desu senpai
>>
Queens of the Stone Age
Elvis Costello
Inspiral Carpets
>>
>>62008881
I fucking hate the Pixies, and I feel like I'm objectively wrong because everyone else loves them.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.