[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of Hamilton? Musicals in general?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
What do you guys think of Hamilton? Musicals in general?
>>
On Hamilton, I've never seen the musical on broadway, but judging from the soundtrack i guess it has a cool concept and story overall. However I think it plays a little safe (lyricwise, being a rap record) and the music itself feels a little unauthentic.

I like musicals, but there hasn't been a single one whose music I really liked. But i really enjoy the dramatic part of them.
>>
A wonderful triumph in cultural Marxism

10 foreskins out of 10
>>
>>61997398
Hey I hate hip hop and black people in general but this musical is great
>>
>>61998006
Well sounds like the Jews pushed on your irony buttons.
>>
>>61997060
I enjoy Hamilton as well as other musicals. Lin-Manuel Miranda has a promising career ahead of him.

>>61997366
>I think it plays a little safe
This is true (once you get beyond the initial concept of "hip-hop musical about Alexander Hamilton"); I would definitely say that Hamilton is more traditional in a lot of ways than most musicals from the 21st century. That's not a bad thing, of course.

>>61997398
>he believes in cultural marxism
>>
>>61997060
i dont hate the concept of hip hop musicals but it doesnt turn out so well (look at In The Heights i dont care what you say the music isnt that great) but overall i think this is a pretty good show even though I am much more traditional in my musical tastes

my favorite musicals are 1. les miserables and 2. Company
>>
Being surrounded by theater kids at NYU Tisch for the past few months, I hadn't gone a day without someone raving about it until I went home for winter break - but it's not that bad.

Not that great, either. It takes the sort of universal generic 90's syncopated hip-hop rhythm and makes an entire musical out of it, so every song kind of sounds the same, but even if it sounds the same the whole way through, the musical theater influence still makes that sound a unique one.

Being a Broadway cast album, though, it does have that theatrical plastic sheen of in-authentic-ness surrounding it that most musicals suffer from, save for a very select few.

Broadway needs innovation, badly, and hopefully this is the start of more genres infiltrating the scene.

>>61998119
>Company

My compatriot of excellent taste!
>>
>>61997060
I am constantly surrounded by people who won't stop hyping it and singing songs from it and so I hate it
>>
>>61998227
thanks guy. im an acting major so I have actual taste in entertainment :^)
>>
File: 1434932887900.gif (2 MB, 400x286) Image search: [Google]
1434932887900.gif
2 MB, 400x286
>>61998254
This, I have a friend that will literally not stop listening to it. I have her followed on spotify and it's the only thing she's listened to for the past month.

All my other friends like it too, and its played all the fucking time when we're hanging out and music is appropriate.

New year's eve party? Put that hamilton on as we sit around and talk, everyone intermittently shouting lines from the songs as they are sung or spoken.

Making a big dinner as a group? Put hamilton on as we cook, still shouting out lyrics.

I don't like Hamilton as a historical figure either, and I don't really like theater music or drama music, especially when it's soulless and plastic, so what little I've listened to I don't like.

>tfw everyone's chilling out talking and shooting the shit when that bitch puts on hamilton and everyone turns into a lyric spouting robot
>>
>>61998352
>acting major
Ay, same.
I honestly thought I was the only one on 4chan

Double majoring in computer science though, got too much debt to be able to support myself as an actor alone.

>>61998414
I endured a similar level of suffering when Frozen came out.

I get hella fucking triggered whenever I hear a song from that movie
>>
unironically the greatest musical ever produced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LonKGuS9uuQ
>>
>>61998463
im an acting major with an art history minor...

JUST
>>
>>61998463
You should just let it go
>>
File: 1431919613943.jpg (70 KB, 780x780) Image search: [Google]
1431919613943.jpg
70 KB, 780x780
>>61998463
I just feel like it's way too gimmicky to be a good concept, y'know? It'd be fine if there was some kind of emotional core or drama, but everything I'm hearing (which is snippets and shit, usually I leave the room when anyone puts it on) seems kind of dead and fake.

I'm not going to be some guy that says hip-hop doesn't belong on broadway, but you can't carry a play off the concept that cabinet debates are rap battles.
>>
I heard three different stories about this musical on NPR over the course of a few months. "Educational rap musical" is like catnip for those Birkenstock-wearing motherfuckers. I think it hit g-spots they didn't even know they had.
>>
>>61998414
>its played all the fucking time when we're hanging out
>not just sitting in awkward silence with your friends at all times
You really brought this upon yourself tbqh
>>
I love Alexander Hamilton and colonial history but I'm not a fan of hip hop or black people, will I like this play?
I'm seeing it in Chicago and I'm sure I'll like it anyway but just asking
>>
>>61998549
Haven't seen it myself, either, but it's not so much just "cabinet debates are rap battles" so much as it is "the life of Hamilton as a hip-hop musical". There are some pretty dramatic moments, from what I'm aware, but if the Broadway plastic sheen bothers you, I get it. I'm the same way.

>>61998608
>"Educational rap musical" is like catnip for those Birkenstock-wearing motherfuckers.
I just wanted you to know that you should be proud of this sentence

>>61998748
honestly it seems like you're the only one who can answer this question
>>
>>61998748
I think you might be able to enjoy it.
>>
>>61998414
>everyone's chilling out talking and shooting the shit
But did you play it off legit?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.