[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>1969 Trout Mask Replica comes out >It's the best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: Scaruffi.jpg (7 KB, 209x204) Image search: [Google]
Scaruffi.jpg
7 KB, 209x204
>1969 Trout Mask Replica comes out
>It's the best album ever
>Scaruffi gives it a 9.5 his highest score and declares it the best album ever
>1991 Loveless comes out
>It is so perfect it tops even Trout Mask Replica
>Scaruffi gives it a 9.0 not a 10.0
>Scaruffi is a Dad Rocker to unable to fully accept the musical achievments of any generation other than his own
When did you realise this /mu/?
>>
>loveless
>better than trout mask replica

c'mon man, you can't even legally drink in the usa yet, so please don't make statements such as these
>>
>>61971300
Look, you may be new here, but /mu/ is where many top minds collaborate, and routinely outsmart the most well-funded, well-equipped and diabolical music critics on earth. How do we do it? Top memers, experts on every genre, unparalleled investigative skills and taste. I would trust posts here over pretty much any music critic, any day.
>>
Neither of those are the best albums ever, even though Loveless is (in my opinion) a far better album than TMR. Hiding quality music through dense polyrhythms and odd choices in music theory doesn't automatically make something the best of all time. I would put both around the 8/10 mark though.
>>
>>61971364
Please don't say you're a death grips or neutral milk hotel fan
>>
>>61971387
I hate Death Grips, NMH is mediocre.

I'm not trying to be overly critical, both TMR and Loveless are among the best rock albums.
>>
>>61971300
Loveless is just sounds that are good. Although impressive at the time TMR reaches an innovation and interpretive meaning almost immortal.
>>
>>61971458
Nope, I fully respect your opinion then
>>
>>61971542
What a brain dead criterion
>>
I don't think no one here unironically agrees with Scaruffi.
>>
>>61971608
I unironically idolize God Emperor Piero and all his works.
>>
>>61971608
I don't agree with a lot of his opinions but I like that he takes his time to review something instead of shitting out a review the week after it comes out. I do like his rating system for the most part though. I don't like that 10 is reserved for the best album ever, but I like that 5/10 really is average for him, and most of his scores stick between 4/10 and 6/10. If he says something is a 7/10 I'll definitely at least give it a listen.
>>
>>61971387
i love both

suck a dick
>>
File: 1387129468802.png (314 KB, 469x474) Image search: [Google]
1387129468802.png
314 KB, 469x474
>Dad Rock

If you listened to Loveless, when it first came out, at age 18, you would be turning 43 this year.
>>
>>61971300
what was his last 9/10?
>>
>loveless
>perfect
pick one
>>
>>61971941

Hash Jar Tempo - Well Oiled in 1997
>>
>>61971941
Some album from the 90s probably, go look for it yourself
>>
>>61971952
>>61971958
Thought it was some noise metal album from last year.
>>
>>61971991
pyrrhon got an 8 if that's what you're thinking of
>>
File: rohan.png (82 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
rohan.png
82 KB, 184x184
TMR is more inventive than Loveless. TMR is a brilliant work of avant music and surrealism. Nothing really sounds quite like it, even other Beefheart works.

Loveless is a perfectly crafted version of bands that came before them such as AR Kane and Cocteau Twins.

I can see how Scaruffi would like TMR better. Especially if you look at his general taste

I prefer Loveless tho. Because music is subjective and nothing will ever beat me being 13 listening to it in the car while reading Dune.
>>
>>61971364
hiding mediocre music under distortion and reverb doesn't automatically make something good either.
>>
>>61972219
Yeah ok because beefheart didn't rip off ornette coleman and bluesmen like charley patton just as heavily as mbv was influenced by dreampop bands before them or anything
>>
>>61972248
delusional, Loveless is far from mediocre sonically even if you strongly dislike the reverbed/distorted sound
>>
>>61972288
lol right. just because beefheart is blues doesn't mean he didn't do something different. just because you find things in the same genre doesn't mean he's a rip-off artist.

find specific examples of people who have similar lyrics or melodies before beefheart and i'll concede, but deconstructing a genre =/= rip-off ya jabroni.

mbv is like the perfect version of its genre, beefheart is playing with one's familiarity of its genre's tropes and using that as a means of expression.
>>
File: hater_you.jpg (33 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
hater_you.jpg
33 KB, 512x512
>>61971300
Wow there really are people on /mu/ that care so much about a HALF POINT rating difference from a music critic that they make a post here to complain about it.

You could just not go to his website
>>
>>61971387
>>61971458
please stop ruining this board with your shit opinions
>>
File: Lmaoing @ your life.png (189 KB, 450x472) Image search: [Google]
Lmaoing @ your life.png
189 KB, 450x472
>>61972752
They fell for the Death Grips and Neutral Milk Hotel are bad meme
>>
>>61972808
Death Grips is actually bad music

Neutral Milk Hotel is nice but really overrated, less than deserving of the amount of attention it gets
>>
File: 1449716566888.gif (238 KB, 269x202) Image search: [Google]
1449716566888.gif
238 KB, 269x202
>>61971300
>tfw you realize Scruffy was 14 years old when Trout Mask Replica came out
>>
>>61972308
It's a seriously boring album. I listened to the first song and thought it was great but it was only downhill from there. Loomer is also cool as it fits well as the next song from that, it sounds like the album is going somewhere but the other songs just suck to be frank. The song writing just isn't very good. Not catchy, interesting or memorable. Having a nice sound doesn't make up for uninteresting music.

I really don't understand how it's rated so highly. Siamese Dream is a very heavily produced album from the same period, but the song writing is infinitely better. Yet people seem to rate Loveless higher, which I don't understand. Just a meme I guess. Even on RYM it is ranked 9th overall - ahead of Led Zeppelin IV Is 10th. That is absolutely retarded.
>>
>>61973160
> The song writing just isn't very good. Not catchy, interesting or memorable. Having a nice sound doesn't make up for uninteresting music.
Tell that to any of the covers of this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jN8SII8ytI
>>
>>61973270
>mediocre girl pop
wewlad, you really proved your point there
>>
>>61973331
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PTluic0JEM
>>
Scaruffi started taking rock music seriously as an art form and working on his history of rock in the '90s, you dumb shit.
>>
>>61973359
you have fallen for a big meme if you think this is anything special whatsoever. it's not bad, but it's really nothing special or amazing either
>>
>>61973402
you've fallen for the biggest meme of all if you think people liking something you don't like is getting "memed" dipshit
>>
>>61973499
You've fallen for an even bigger meme if you think that using that phrase will make Loveless a great album
>>
>>61971356
smells like pasta
>>
>>61971815
fuck me
>>
>>61973551
whats yr metric for a great album. music is subjective dawg and no matter how many times you repeat the reductive same line nothing can change the fact that to a lot of people it IS a great album.
>>
>>61971300
MAYBE THERE WHERE NOT SO GOOD AFTER ALL
>>
>>61971300
Tmr is much better than loveless
Far more groundbreaking

also it's p arguable that rock like tmr in 1969 was plainly much more groundbreaking bc it had the potential to be given the time
>>
>>61971721
He gave in my tribe by 10000 maniacs a 7
Go listen
>>
>>61973688
a lot of people think justin bieber's "music" is great. does that make it true?
>>
>>61973909
yes, because taste is subjective. there is no "truth" when it comes to opinions. whatever "objective" reasons you apply to loveless or bieber could easily be applied to whatever your favorite music is. cmon hit me. give me an artist. let me be the grouchy internet man now.

and also bieber is such a poor example because he actually has a lot of talent. straight up. i don't like his music either but implying he's not skilled is so 15-year old level of tryhard anticonformity it makes me wonder if you just watched fight club for the first time.
>>
File: image.png (6 KB, 1420x104) Image search: [Google]
image.png
6 KB, 1420x104
>>61971300
see pic, OP
>>
>>61971300
It's funny because /mu/ is the only shithole in the world that jerks its ass over trout mask replica, while loveless is an undisputed classic almost everywhere else (even though I find it pretty lame and uninteresting)
>>
>>61974060
>/mu/ is the only shithole in the world that jerks its ass over trout mask replica

>Since its release, Trout Mask Replica has been acknowledged not only as Captain Beefheart's masterpiece, but as one of the greatest albums of all time. BBC disc jockey John Peel said of the album: "If there has been anything in the history of popular music which could be described as a work of art in a way that people who are involved in other areas of art would understand, then Trout Mask Replica is probably that work." Critic Steve Huey of Allmusic writes that the album's influence "was felt more in spirit than in direct copycatting, as a catalyst rather than a literal musical starting point. However, its inspiring reimagining of what was possible in a rock context laid the groundwork for countless experiments in rock surrealism to follow, especially during the punk/new wave era."[1]
>Filmmaker David Lynch has called Trout Mask Replica his favorite album of all time
>In 2003, the album was ranked 58th by Rolling Stone in their list of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (60th on the 2012 list):[22] "On first listen, Trout Mask Replica sounds like raw Delta blues", with Beefheart "singing and ranting and reciting poetry over fractured guitar licks. But the seeming sonic chaos is an illusion ... Tracks such as 'Ella Guru' and 'My Human Gets Me Blues' are the direct predecessors of modern musical primitives such as Tom Waits and PJ Harvey".[23] In his 1995 book The Alternative Music Almanac, Alan Cross placed the album in the #2 spot on his list of "10 Classic Alternative Albums". In 1995, Mojo put the album 28th on their "The 100 Greatest Albums Ever Made" list[24] and 51st on their list of "The 100 Records That Changed the World".[25] The album also appears on Mojo's 2014 list of The 50 Weirdest Albums Ever, coming in first place. On April 6, 2011, the album was added to the United States National Recording Registry for the year 2010 by the Library of Congress.[26]
>>
File: immortal-technique-31.jpg (25 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
immortal-technique-31.jpg
25 KB, 500x500
>>
>>61974205

>Ranked 58th

hahahah, cucks seriously call it the best album of all time. Looks like it isn't LMAO, BTFO.
>>
>>61971356
I've never seen this pasta reimagined. I was just thinking about this shit today too. Fucking wow.
>>
>>61974245
whats the original pasta?
>>
>>61974339
Some guy on /r/conspiracy. I still think about that shit to this day. He was so earnest about it.
>>
>>61974396
no like, what was the original, unchanged pasta word for word?
>>
>>61974410
>Look, you may be new here, but /r/conspiracy is where many top minds collaborate, and routinely outsmart the most well funded, well equipped and diabolical organizations on earth. How do we do it? Top thinkers, experts on every field, unparalleled investigative skills and fearlessness. I would trust a top comment here over pretty much any news source, especially a mainstream source, any day.
>>
>>61974410
>>61974444
Shit was not bait either. Also, check em.
>>
>>61971345
pick an album

it's better than trm
>>
File: bateman american psycho glasses.png (879 KB, 1248x540) Image search: [Google]
bateman american psycho glasses.png
879 KB, 1248x540
>>61974444
impressive... very nice
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.