[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Grateful Dead
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
How do I into Grateful Dead? I know some of the hits, but what are the key records?
>>
American Beauty and Workingman's Dead for studio

Europe 92, Live/Dead for live albums. Then just go to Archive.org and start listening to random live shows for free.
>>
>>61949090
thanks! holy shit, though, do they have a lot of live albums...
>>
>>61949196
Fans are a bit obsessive about their live shows and like to record every single concert to listen to. Just listen to any of the ones released in the 70's and you can't go wrong.
>>
The studio recordings do not capture them at all, they were primarily improvisational. Late 60s sound was insane electric acid psychedelia, 70-72 brought in more roots/folk (they actually started as a bluegrass band and Jerry's unique guitar playing style stems in part from his banjo background), 73-74 had a lot of jazz fusion vibes, and the final great year for the band imo is 77 with some funk/disco influences. Generally played two sets and an encore, the first set is more song based and the second set is where the serious jamming comes in. I would start with something from 72 since that's sort of their most classic sound, in my mind, although I personally prefer the really long jazzy jams from 73 and 74 above all else. Go to archive.org as the poster above mentioned, search for the wembley empire pool show 1972-04-08 look for the Charlie miller tape (he's a really well known contributor to the community - he makes amazing remasters). Listen to the whole thing and hopefully you can find something in there that you like. If you want to skip right to the swirling typhoon of psychedelia listen to the Dark Star from that show.
>>
God Tier: Anthem of the Sun, Terrapin Station, Live/Dead, Skullfuck
Great: Workingman's Dead, American Beauty, Europe '72, AoxomoxoA, Wake of the Flood
Good: Reckoning, Shakedown Street, s/t, Mars Hotel
Eh: Go to Heaven, In the Dark
Avoid At All Costs: Build to Last (really anything with Brent on vocals)
>>
>>61950138
You didn't mention their pre 1967 material where they were a psychedelic garage band, like the first album, or the Warlocks' studio demos.
>>
>>61950278
When mentioning Anthem and AOXOMOXOA, are you talking about the original mixes, or the 1971 remixes? I think the original mix of AOXOMOXOA is better than the 71 version, imo.
>>
>>61950308
For AoxomoxoA, I'm talking about the original mix. But I believe that the remix of Anthem is better than the original.
>>
>>61950278
I have to disagree with you on Built to Last. I think its a good album, and Brent's songs are alright. Worth the price of admission for Victim or The Crime, and Picasso Moon alone.
>>
>>61950337
I actually like both mixes of Anthem equally, but I think the original mix of AOXOMOXOA is slightly better than the 71 version.
>>
>>61950350
I mean, yeah, Victim is a good song in the Dead's catalog, but Brent's vocals kinda ruins the aesthetics of the Dead to me. Sounds too much like a B-rate hair metal vocalist. But I can get why you have that opinion.
And plus, I have to account that by that time, Jerry nearly destroyed his voice with drugs.
>>
File: GarciaGarciaCD.jpg (15 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
GarciaGarciaCD.jpg
15 KB, 240x240
>>61949090
>>61950278
>>61950138
>>61950308
>>61950337
>>61950350
>implying pic related isn't the best Dead related studio release
>>
>>61949196
here's a good show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWQFZ7Lx-rg
>>
>>61950280
Yeah I was just trying to give a more general introduction, that material is interesting and definitely underrated but not a place I would probably use as a starting point for a new listener
>>
File: your opinion.jpg (60 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
your opinion.jpg
60 KB, 600x399
>>61950420
>>
>>61950470
>implying this isn't the best track Garcia ever did
Easily his best studio moment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_xvNtTn62I
>>
>>61950567
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR7z3cId_ZQ
here's the real best track
>>
>>61949090
>>61950278
just finished American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. really solid records, really enjoyed them.
>>61950280
i'll check that stuff out, i'm into a fair amount of psychedelic/garage stuff from that era, sounds interesting.

p.s. any rec's for Jerry's solo stuff?
p.p.s. thanks again for the rec's really digging 'em
>>
>>61950728
>p.s. any rec's for Jerry's solo stuff?
>>61950420
>>61950567
>>
>>61949037
dicks picks
i
c
k
s

p
i
c
k
s
>>
>>61950727
Might be 2 great tracks, but in terms of a studio song, To Lay Me Down is perfect.
>>
I just heard this Dark Star for the first time, its p good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKk8m4Bi1sM
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.