[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/IDM/ is for: >Discussion of IDM albums, songs, and artists,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 9
File: Musichastherighttochildren.jpg (59 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Musichastherighttochildren.jpg
59 KB, 300x300
/IDM/ is for:
>Discussion of IDM albums, songs, and artists, from well-known to unknown
>Posting of IDM that you find remarkable in some way via Youtube, Soundcloud, or Bandcamp
>Discovering new IDM

If you are confused about IDM, want to get into the genre, or don't know who the "big 4" are please see these artists:

>Aphex Twin
>Autechre
>Boards of Canada
>Squarepusher
>>
dunno m8 just post the holy trinity of IDM

Aphex Twin
Boards of Canada
Autechre
>>
File: Squarepusher.ultravisitor.gif (67 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Squarepusher.ultravisitor.gif
67 KB, 350x350
Why do people on /mu/ always shit on Squarepusher? He's got some tunes mate.
>>
Not sure I'm in exactly the right place to ask but does anyone happen to have Autumnmonia by Jetone? Most links I can find are dead or torrents that are nearly dead
>>
>>61937207
>BoC better that Squarepusher
lolno
>>
>>61937554
Squarepusher has like 2 good albums wtf
>>
>>61937488
It's on soulseek.
>>
>>61937424

Solid discography
>>
>>61937137
>>Aphex Twin
ambient techno/jungle

>>Autechre
techno

>>Boards of Canada
downtempo

>>Squarepusher
future jazz

threads over.
>>
File: bloopthing11.jpg (214 KB, 600x575) Image search: [Google]
bloopthing11.jpg
214 KB, 600x575
Cool thread.

Why do all the best eyedee-em artists have names that begin with B?
>>
>>61937424
Agreed, although a lot of his albums have a bunch of filler.

https://youtu.be/8yA8MRphI8w

That song is GOAT
>>
File: cover.png (199 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
cover.png
199 KB, 600x600
Does anyone else genuinely like this? It's one of my favorite Squarepusher albums. I just think Tom found a very nice balanced style of production on it.
>>
>Aphex Twin
>Squarepusher
>Arovane
>Jega
>Bola
>Prefuse 73

Why have all the great early IDM artists fallen the fuck off? Occasionally they will put out a good track or two on an album, but no consistently good albums anymore.

The only artists I have heard that have maintained or increased their innovative material are Ae, BoC, and Cex/Rjyan Kidwell. Are there any others I may not have heard yet?
>>
>>61938079
FSOL is still breddy gud, although they're mostly sampling their old works nowadays.
>>
>>61938079
OPN, senpai
>>
>>61938079
IDM kind of dissolved away during the latter half of 00s, the last "golden age" centering around 2001. All of the artists that have "gone bad" have pretty much ditched the style. Also I wouldn't say Aphex Twin has fallen off, if anything in my opinion he has been better than ever recently. Also while Bola isn't quite as good as on his earlier work, he's still got it, same as Arovane. The rest I agree with. I honestly can't mention anyone else because little to no artists especially from the old days makes IDM anymore.

>>61938180
I can't say they've gone bad, but I'm nevertheless extremely uninterested in and unimpressed by their recent work. The way they churn out material just doesn't seem to allow them enough time to make the music in any way meaningful.

>>61938213
Lopatin doesn't do IDM.
>>
File: 1392142737423.png (32 KB, 116x145) Image search: [Google]
1392142737423.png
32 KB, 116x145
>>61938213
>OPN
>IDM
>>
>>61938271
Does Arovane do anything that's uptempo anymore? I've stopped paying attention.
>>
Friendly reminder that BoC, SAW I & II, and Incunabulae aren't IDM! They are all Ambient Techno.

>>61937580
So does BoC

>>61938285
It makes more sense than BoC
>>
>>61938364
He has produced something that's uptempo?

>>61938389
>BoC
IDM staple, nothing to do with techno. They use a lot of breakbeats but it's not like IDM can't include those. Plenty of it does in fact.

>SAW I & II
SAW I is very similar to the Artificial Intelligence compilations which are undeniably IDM (kind of what formulated the genre). It's ambient techno as well though, maybe even more than IDM but still. What's with people being willing to pin only one single genre to an album?

SAW II is mostly just ambient as far as I remember.

>Incunabulae
IDM. Again directly related to the Artificial Intelligence comps, but can also be labeled as ambient techno.
>>
>>61937656
I think you mean A.

Actually I don't know many that start with B. Rec me some please.
>>
>>61938487
I would argue that A.I. should be considered an Ambient Techno album instead of IDM, with the term IDM being used to the more "out there" works that share A.I. as their origin or who follow the traditions of the already existing IDM artists.
Albums like Confield, Out From Out Where, and Cosmogramma would be IDM.
>>
>>61938389
BoC, SAW I & II and Incunabulae are IDM.
IDM is a fucking umbrella genre, not something specific and strict.

Also, yeah, BoC has two good albums, but the quality of those 2 albums is better than anything created by Squarepushe
>>
>>61938506
B12
Balil
Bauri
Bedouin Ascent
Bitstream
Blamstrain
Boc
Bola
Brothomstates
Brown (Uwe Schmidt)

Also worth a mention even though I'm not personally a fan:
Beefcake
Bogdan Raczynski

>>61938559
In the early days the genres/terms were pretty much interchangeable. It doesn't make that much sense now if you only consider IDM to be anything that happened after Tri Repetae (THE turning point of the genre), but that doesn't negate the origins of the music. I think it makes most sense to consider IDM the AI comps and everything that logically followed from them, to a reasonable extent. Also I wouldn't consider Flylo IDM because is much more rooted in hiphop and various more contemporary electronic genres like UK Garage or Skweee. Similarly I never really understood why Amon Tobin is considered IDM by some. He's music is much more rooted in jungle and various downtempo styles... or just him doing his... thing.

Also I have to quote Ishkur here:
>This is the realm of the uber-pretentious electronic music afficionados, with razor-thin eclectic tastes, who spend most of their waking energy arguing about what IDM is and what IDM isn't.

Let's not continue bickering about the the definitions and extents of the genre...
>>
>>61938698
>BoC, SAW I & II and Incunabulae are IDM.
Yet they have more things in common with Ambient Techno if you compare it to the more experimental and "true" side of IDM (Confield and Co.)

>anything by BoC better than Hard Normal Daddy
hohoho!
>>
>>61938726
>In the early days the genres/terms were pretty much interchangeable. I
But now that we can look into retrospective, it would be better to change the old meanings and replace it with more coherent ones.

>I think it makes most sense to consider IDM the AI comps and everything that logically followed from them, to a reasonable extent.
I think A.I. should be considered as the record that spawned the first IDM artists, but that record itself not being IDM, but Ambient Techno instead.

>Also I wouldn't consider Flylo IDM because is much more rooted in hiphop and various more contemporary electronic genres like UK Garage or Skweee.
To be honest, I have no idea where Cosmogramma is rooted. Sure, you could say Instrumental Hip Hop and Wonky, but I have never heard anything from those genres that resembles Cosmogramma.

>Similarly I never really understood why Amon Tobin is considered IDM by some. He's music is much more rooted in jungle and various downtempo styles... or just him doing his... thing.
Because of Out From Out Where. It shares some characteristics with Autechre's Sci-Fi style.

>Let's not continue bickering about the the definitions and extents of the genre...
>no music discussion allowed
>>
Why is Music Has The Right To Children so backloaded? What's in the front is decent, but the back is so much better.
>>
>>61938728
>Yet they have more things in common with Ambient Techno
Ambient Techno is part of IDM.
What gets me really mad about IDM is that it seems to be a buzzword for artists at Warp. No one considers OPN as IDM, yet his music is more 'dancey' and 'intelligent' than a lot of old-school IDM.

>implying that Hard Normal Daddy is better than Geogaddi
You're wrong in so many ways.
>>
>>61938728
Mate, there is no " true" side of IDM - it was literally a take a club music that really couldn't be played at clubs, and ambient techno fit under that. Like another person said, it's more of an umbrella term. I mean, early IDM was pretty much straight techno or breakbeat hardcore, then it became more akin to dnb, before finally becoming more experimental. It went through the several trends and iterations.
>>
>>61937631

>being this retard

bleepfag detected
>>
>>61938911
>Ambient Techno is part of IDM
That sure is a weird opinion. I don't think I have ever heard people calling stuff like Orbital IDM.

>What gets me really mad about IDM is that it seems to be a buzzword for artists at Warp. No one considers OPN as IDM, yet his music is more 'dancey' and 'intelligent' than a lot of old-school IDM.
Genres are defined based on musical traditions, not so much shared musical characteristics.
Now, I would like to argue about why OPN is or isn't IDM.

>You're wrong in so many ways
Sorry, I don't like filler albums.

>>61938913
>Mate, there is no " true" side of IDM -
We all know. This is about re-defining musical terms in a more coherent way.
>it was literally a take a club music that really couldn't be played at clubs, and ambient techno fit under that.
Hmm, in that case, would you consider Orbital to be IDM?
>Like another person said, it's more of an umbrella term. I mean, early IDM was pretty much straight techno or breakbeat hardcore, then it became more akin to dnb, before finally becoming more experimental. It went through the several trends and iterations.
Yup. But that doesn't mean it can't be defined in a better way.
>>
>>61937631
>Artists can only be one genre
>>
>>61938858
>But now that we can look into retrospective, it would be better to change the old meanings and replace it with more coherent ones.
>I think A.I. should be considered as the record that spawned the first IDM artists, but that record itself not being IDM, but Ambient Techno instead.
To be honest I don't have a huge problem with this, but the problem is that you'll end up with a lot of corner cases. For an example, the first Gescom EP, what would you label that? Really my solution is just that I tag early IDM, like the AI compilations as both Ambient Techno and IDM. I'd say that's the most sane solution. People who use only a single genre tag are weird.

>Because of Out From Out Where. It shares some characteristics with Autechre's Sci-Fi style.
Well yeah, but even so the way it's rooted in sampling and the overall mellow downtempo-y feeling doesn't work in its favor.

>no music discussion allowed
Because in my experience nothing good comes out of these discussions, and I've spent hours on this shit. Admittedly though so far it's been relatively refreshing. Music discussion welcome, of course, but arguing about what constitutes IDM bores me and is so stereotypical.
>>
Jesus Christ you guys must have some flamin fast fingers
>>
Why everyone is getting so autistic about IDM meaning? We all know that IDM means wacky 'experimental-yet-accesible' electronic music.
>>61939012
>Sorry, I don't like filler albums
>likes Hard Normal Daddy
>>
>mfw Aphex Twin sounds like someone wanking around with a sine wave generator 90% of the time
>no dynamic range, schizophrenic=/=complex beats

Why is he so rated? SAW 2 is good, but I actually think he had less of a musical grasp than Squarepusher
>>
>>61939055
>For an example, the first Gescom EP, what would you label that?
No idea about that one.
>Really my solution is just that I tag early IDM, like the AI compilations as both Ambient Techno and IDM. I'd say that's the most sane solution. People who use only a single genre tag are weird.
A.I. makes perfect as Ambient Techno only though.
>Well yeah, but even so the way it's rooted in sampling and the overall mellow downtempo-y feeling doesn't work in its favor.
Well, it's more IDM than BoC by that logic, imo.
>arguing about what constitutes IDM bores me and is so stereotypical.
Not to me

>>61939119
>implying HND isn't an album filled with constant greatness

>>61939119
>We all know that IDM means wacky 'experimental-yet-accesible' electronic music.
Progressive Electronic confirmed for being an IDM sub-genre!
>>
>>61938911
>Ambient Techno is part of IDM
How so?
>>
>>61938986
He's not really wrong though, and I say this as someone who doesn't get in a huff about the term.

>>61939012
For OPN, I wouldn't consider him IDM because his music isn't rooted in the same club music genres as the other artists. IDM is, at its core and historically, an alternate take on club/dance music, and that's why I don't consider OPN (or even BoC really apart from Hi Scores) IDM.
>>
>>61939119
I wonder this too. 25% of the time I make this general this is what it boils down to. 75% of the time it gets next to no replies.

I don't know exactly how I would define IDM, but I can identify it when I hear it.
>>
>>61939197
It certainly was part of the development of the genre, even if we're trying to retrospectively redefine it here. The entire AI series (not just the comps) were seen as the first popular exposure to IDM, and most of those could be more strictly defining as ambient techno.
>>
i like tycho very much
>>
>>61939301
We all know that IDM means 'Warp Records and friends' but the trips get autistic and start dropping comments like 'This is not IDM this is progressive house ambient' and shit.
We don't care about a textbook definition of X artist because we already know who are we talking about when referring to IDM.
They think they know a lot because they invent genres on RYM.
>>
>>61937424
He has a fuckton of wank in his discography and a few great albums
I wish Amon Tobin put out a breakcore album between Bricolage and Permutation, it would have btfo Squarepusher's discography desu
>>
>>61939192
>Well, it's more IDM than BoC by that logic, imo.
Honestly don't think Boc... at least since since and including Geogaddi has been IDM (well, Geo is debatable). Twoism and and MHTRTC and I'd also say Beautiful Place EP do fall into that camp though. Melodically they were quite close to Autechre and their contemporary IDM than say Ninja Tune (the prominent downtempo label released Amon Tobin's early work). Structurally their work also resembles artists like Bola much more. Apart from them using breakbeats their 90s work shares no resemblance to triphop/instr.hiphop/downtempo (of the ninja tune etc. variety). Alberto Balsalm by Aphex Twin is also also closely related to Boc's brand of IDM.

>>61939366
This desu.

>>61939329
>the first popular exposure to IDM
What examples of IDM do you have that precede the AI comps? I mean, I have a couple but even those were released pretty much within on year of the first compilation. Just curious what you've got.
>>
>>61939366
Congratulations for completely missing the point about our discussion!

>>61939205
What were OPN's roots?
And couldn't he be IDM if he started to sound like other IDM artists?
>>
>>61939366
This
>>
>>61939507
This is IDM general, not 'look how much i know about electronic music history' general.
Sorry senpai, if you wanna talk about genre meanings then go back to Rateyourmusic ;]
>>
>>61939336
Do people really call Tycho IDM? I mean aside from his first record, but even then it's a bit of a stretch
>>
>>61939553
Never thought I would defend Avant-Math God, but he is discussing the history of IDM.

Better than the general failing like it does seven times out of ten.
>>
>>61939507
His roots are in synth-based ambient music, the kind that was all the rage in 70s and 80s, "progressive electronic" I suppose as well as noise music, drone and minimalism. What IDM artists does his latter output sound like?

>>61939587
People do but he's not IDM. The only reason is because his earliest stuff is reminiscent of some of Boc's music, which was IDM anyway (we're talking Geogaddi and TCH here).
>>
>>61939606
I really like AMG, but he is just going full autistic in this thread.

Saying that BoC isn't IDM? Then what the fuck is all about the ae-like beats on Telephasic Workshop for example? That is not downtempo at all

Also, the general fails because those same fags come here and start this discussion over and over.
>>
>>61939507
OPN is more inspired by ambient and electronic artists from the 70s (think Klaus Schulze) and people like Terry Riley

I will say that Garden of Delete could maybe be considered close to IDM as he was deconstructing certain dance genres there. But most of his stuff? Nah
>>
Holy shit this is a terrible thread. Do you people like to listen to IDM or just bicker about it?

Post some lesser known FUN IDM that has nothing to do with Warp artists who get their dick sucked here nonstop (deservedly, I guess, but still)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHaAsaV-xoU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwcbCCo_LmE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph13NmTEidA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvvexdXXZ-8
>>
>>61937137

Oh hey, I just finished burning through Squarepusher's entire discography like a week ago. His last three albums were quite disappointing, though. I like his first five albums plus "Just a Souvenir" (and the Numbers Lucent EP) most.

808 State is also pretty good, up to Don Solaris. Aphex Twin's RDJ album bored me, but I'll give his stuff after that a chance. Amon Tobin was okay, but he didn't really wow me, either. Boards of Canada is one I've heard brought up over and over but I haven't listened to them. I guess today's the day. Autechre is new to me, though, so I'll put him in my queue.

>>61938079
>Arovane, Jega, Bola, Prefuse 73

Also new to me. Anyone know of any particular IDM artists who have stuff that's just really varied? Like they'll do songs of all tempos, have a rich range of textures, and a strong sense of melody, even if simple? Squarepusher's my current favorite because of that.
>>
>IDM topic
>same old artists talked about that aren't even all that IDM

Beefcake - Drei

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_UrM2Gv_xQ

edIT - Crying Over Pros For No Reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iimujttqr_A
>>
>>61939676
This is all correct. It's an argument that's never going to be settled.

>>61939729
You're pretty much right about Squarepusher. I love RDJ album though, it must be a personal preference. Autechre is my favorite, but start with Tri Repetae.

To actually post about music, this is one of my favorite songs, it is absolutely beautiful, especially the last half:

https://youtu.be/1Qt1FmYYad4
>>
File: cover.png (549 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
cover.png
549 KB, 600x600
>>61939729
>Anyone know of any particular IDM artists who have stuff that's just really varied?
Brothomstates, absolutely. Go listen to Claro, it's wonderfully all over the place. It's my favorite IDM album ever.

Two ends of the spectrum:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XEyIDiTIX0
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQXPwPsnB6I

FYI, Autechre is a duo. Also Arovane and Bola especially are definitely worth listening to, the latter in particular.

>>61939792
What artists, specifically? Ironic that you'd post edIT, as he's not IDM.
>>
>>61939821
How's edIT not IDM?
>>
>>61939840
It's pretty clearly instrumental hiphop and downtempo, or glitch-hop. He does use a lot of IDM style percussions, which pretty much signifies glitch hop music.
>>
>>61939882
There's hip hop in there, but is definitely not straight up instrumental hip hop. His approach to glitchy beats is similar to IDM stuff. What makes him unique is that he makes IDM into really dancey stuff in a more hip hop way.
>>
>>61939726
>Post some lesser known FUN IDM
Kettel - Verkens In London
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHAE8xLC_yc
>>
Since when has non-strictly dancefloor electronic music been a catch all called IDM?
>>
Tycho is the best IDM producer.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>61939998
this is definitely not idm... sounds like any other liquid dnb song
>>
>>61939729
Here are good examples of each artist
Arovane
>intricate, pretty downbeat IDM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrgA_5s28IA

Prefuse 73
>one of the forefathers of glitch-hop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBRtulUdzD8

Bola
>otherworldly, abstract ambient IDM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6VSqiPREg0

Jega
>rave/acid flavored IDM, this album should be talked about with the classic Squarepusher/Aphex/Autechre records, but since he never truly reached these heights again, it's not as well known as it should be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4pqNxHvcDU
>>
>>61939940
Sure he uses some IDM percussion motifs, but take away the drum sounds and replace with typical boom bap sounds and there's no IDM left. It's just glitch hop. The rhythms overall are pretty much just hiphop rhythms, though admittedly I don't remember the album very well, only listened to it once. Quickly skimming through the only part that stroke me as IDM was somewhere towards the end (lost it already).

>>61939998
Kettel is lesser known? Also how in the hell is that IDM?

>>61940019
I don't know, is it? It never should've been.

>>61940032
Tycho isn't IDM, already discussed.

>>61940066
Well it's not dnb either, but at least it's closer to that than IDM.

>>61940070
You used a relatively minimal ambient passage as an example of Bola? For shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZviA0Kpyvlw
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utep6Hhp2a8
love this album. shares a lot of elements of with some early ae imo.
>>61940019
people tend to confuse /bloop/ and /idm/
>>
>>61940110
>Tycho isn't IDM

How is he not? He fits all the criteria for IDM in this thread so far.

What are ''IDM percussion motifs''?
>>
>>61939050
What other genre are they?
>>
Is this IDM?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fqpTZLgHIU
>>
>>61939119
''experimental-yet-accesible'' is relative

Grimes fits that bill to the average Skrillex fan
>>
>>61940110
I guess I just prefer those types of his songs. My favorite Bola song is Diamortem
>>
>>61940066
>>61940110
yes, as in he is known less, and fudge your subjective genre definitions, it's just as IDM as any other IDM music is 'IDM'
>>
File: folder.jpg (27 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
27 KB, 1000x1000
Is this IDM?
>>
>>61940150
Bedouin Ascent, yes! Science, Art And Ritual is one of my favorite albums as well. It's so brittle and otherworldly. The world music influences alรก Jon Haskell are so wonderful.

>>61940157
What criteria?

>What are ''IDM percussion motifs''?
For an example the kind of shuffles he does with the kick drum and the accent on the song around 18 mins.

>>61940236
>it's just as IDM as any other IDM music is 'IDM'
That's circular logic.
>>
>>61940288
So in other words you cherry pick what you want to be IDM, okay, typical pretentious /mu/ thread.
>>
>>61940329
I don't know what you're responding to.
>>
>>61939553
>genre general
>not allowed to talk about the history of genre
You fucked up really bad there, friend

>>61939672
>His roots are in synth-based ambient music, the kind that was all the rage in 70s and 80s, "progressive electronic" I suppose as well as noise music, drone and minimalism.
Any concrete examples?

>What IDM artists does his latter output sound like?
Well, at least for Replica, it's like an even darker BoC's Geogaddi

>>61939676
You are the one going full autistic. I was nicely discussing about the genre with other anons until you came along.
Why do you have to ruin everything?
>Saying that BoC isn't IDM?
It's not that much of an unpopular opinion, and when people talk abut BoC, most of the time they have Children and Geogaddi in mind.
>Also, the general fails because those same fags come here and start this discussion over and over.
Lurk more
>>
>>61940110
You can say the same for every IDM out there. Take away the signature IDM percussion and replace it with something else then it won't be IDM. You posted Brothomstates initially who would also just be typical ambient downtempo if it wasn't for their approach to rhythms.
>>
>>61938867
Is this b8?

An Eagle In Your Mind is tied best track with Pete Standing Alone.
Telephasic Workshop is amazing.
Sixtyten is Geogaddi songified.
Torquoise Hexagon Sun is so dam chill.
Wildlife Analysis, The Color of The Fire, Triangles and Kaini Industries are all beautiful intermission tracks.

The back has Smokes Quantity, the worst song on the album. Open The Light is three minutes too long. Rue The Whirl ain't amazing either.
>>
>>61940288
>>it's just as IDM as any other IDM music is 'IDM'
>That's circular logic.
Point is there is no clear definition of IDM, most often it's used as a loose umbrella term. Consider posts like >>61937631 - the key artists labelled it are all over the place in terms of sound and style. It's like you've picked up on some similar percussion between a few artists and decided if something doesn't share that then it's not IDM. Good for you but not everyone will agree.
>>
>>61940348
'course you don't

>tycho isn't IDM
>boards of canada isn't

Just one obvious example.
>>
>>61938911
>No one considers OPN as IDM
I do.
>>
let's get a little /bleep/ here: any other mixes that incorporate idm? surgeon is the master of doing this imo - love that this one uses 3/4 of anvil vapre yet its integrated seamlessly into something really dance-y.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24JVS0JIrmQ
>>
>>61940599
Same. I wouldn't have agreed a couple years ago, but this track in particular from Garden of Delete:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be67Sb4S-ec
Feels so much like a rawer and more hectic version of Rsdio by Autechre, that I couldn't ignore it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UDP7TCGmw8
>>
>>61940110
Oh look it's the IDM police. Weewooweewooweewoo!

Anyone have a share for Test Shot Starfish selftitled album from 2005? Some of it was on a SpaceX webcast a while ago, it's very muzak-y but still p. cool.
>>
>>61940422
>Any concrete examples?
Well if I understood correctly, the entire Rifts compilation:
http://www.discogs.com/Oneohtrix-Point-Never-Rifts/master/498472

It collects almost all of his works preceding 2010's Returnal. Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bByUdkyZEk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLpIS8VWcDg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfd9TVK_d5U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Dxtn3nAog

>Well, at least for Replica, it's like an even darker BoC's Geogaddi
I'm not sure I agree, but fair enough, I can see what you mean. But I thought you didn't think Boc was IDM? For the record I don't think Geogaddi really is either, apart from maybe a couple of tracks.

>>61940477
Brothomstates uses a lot of similar harmony and melodies that Autechre does. The album also blends percussive and melodic instruments a lot so it's not as simple as removing only either one. In edIT's case I didn't also say replace the entire percussions, but if you would only replace the drum sounds and keep the rhythms. But in any case I listened to the album a bit more for refreshment and I think it could be thought to be IDM. Still it's mostly glitch hop, with a very strong leaning to the "hop" part, much more so that say Prefuse. My bad, I remembered the album very badly.

>>61940503
I agree with your first sentiment, and that's why it's a discussion. I'll respond to you soon in more detail.

>>61940523
I do consider Boc up until Geogaddi IDM. On that album they start to move onto their own stylistic corner a lot more, which is further emphasized on TCH. Tycho's early work happens to be very similar to certain songs of Geogaddi and a lot of tracks on TCH. Then again that's my only recollection of Past Is Prologue, I'd need to listen to it again. Anything after that has no resemblance to any IDM.
>>
Shut the fuck up you wankers.
>>
>>61937424
One of the most overrated "IDM" artists of all time
Squarepusher always sucked
Richard isn't that great either but at least he has versatility going for him
Squarepusher is a boring one-trick pony who consistently plays it as safe as possible, yet is constantly praised by his inept audience as being unique and envelope-pushing
>>
>>61940838
stop making retarded generals then for non-existent genres then
>>
File: IDM.png (1 MB, 1149x1600) Image search: [Google]
IDM.png
1 MB, 1149x1600
>>61937137
>>
>>61940070

Prefuse 73 was the only one that jumped out at me. I'll check his stuff out.

Another question - anyone know any chiptune stuff that isn't the usual bright, cheery, jittery dance fodder? So far I only know of a lousy two artists that, to me, went above and beyond the usual - Volker Meitz (PRI) and Ari-Pekka Paljakka (Zardax). I'm just looking for artists who are more dark and moody with their chiptunes.
>>
Fuck, this thread was good until the tripfags showed up.
>>
>>61940778
really? i agree that g.o.d is actually slightly idm-ish, but more so because he's deconstructing certain genres like trance or even ebm/harder style techno. but i don't hear trirep era ae - rsdio (and most of tr) is so hip-hop that it's close to not even being idm imo.
>>
>>61940883
>this is a chart of unrelated albums with the actual genres at the bottom but we'll call them all IDM for no actual reason
>>
>>61937656
whatever happened to /bloop/ and /blip/
>>
>>61940955
It's ok if you don't know how to read, anon.
>>
>>61940869
Shut the fuck up you cunt.
I didn't make the general.
When OP says "IDM", we all know what kind of music he's talking about but then people like you with full blown mental handicaps have to spend the whole fucking thread arguing over the most fucking retarded shit.
You're arguing over WORDS. SYMBOLS. Jesus fucking Christ.
>>
>>61940964
/blip/ was always shit for retarded BS like vaporwave and oceangrunge stupid shit

/bloop/ never had enough replies to keep the threads alive
>>
>>61940883
>>61940883
I should listen to Plaid more. Used to be into them big time but not anymore.
>>
>>61940955

because idm is not really a genre
>>
>>61940985
Yes, ambient techno, sometimes jungle, sometimes downtempo, or maybe future jazz and lots of unrelated genres with a dumb label cherry picked for image
>>
>>61940996
I haven't listened too many albums of Plaid but I love Rest Proof Clockwork. Any similar artist?
>>
yo how do I filter tripfags, that "Avant-Math God of /mu/" turbopleb is shitposting everywhere
>>
>>61940935
For me, the biggest similarity comes with the textures being used. A bunch of those static-laden arpeggios on Mutant Standard would fit right if they were on a track from Tri Repetae. And while you could still see Autechre's b-boy origins on their early work, I feel like their hip-hop influence got a lot more subtle by the time Amber came out.
>>
>>61940985
OP here, you're right.

I just wanted to discover cool new IDM.

>>61940933
This too.
>>
>>61940905
>Prefuse 73 was the only one that jumped out at me.
Ugh, good luck. He is so inconsistent and has so many pseudonyms and has tried so many different styles and collaborations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Herren

I'd recommend you check the first two albums of each pseudonym but wouldn't recommend anything after the mid 00's. Delarosa and Asora is the "pure" IDM moniker. So for IDM fans I'd recommend Agony pt. 1.
>>
>>61941042
Try some Clatterbox, Doctor Rockit (both are from Clear Records where plaid used to release) Bola, Amon Tobin, Chris Clark (similar acoustic/electronic blends), some Nobukazu Takemura has the same vibe too.
>>
>>61940813
>But I thought you didn't think Boc was IDM?
It depends on how you define IDM. I think the most consistent way is to use Tri Repetae or Confield as a starting point (style-wise).

>>61940838
Go shitpost somehwere else then.

>>61940985
>When OP says "IDM", we all know what kind of music he's talking about
I too know, smartass
>but then people like you with full blown mental handicaps have to spend the whole fucking thread arguing over the most fucking retarded shit
What's the matter? It's not like we can run out of threads, or is it?
You're really dense, anon

>>61940933
>this thread was good until people started to discuss music
/kpg/ called, they want you back

>>61941102
Stop being a pussy, maybe?

>>61941042
Listen to more Plaid. Threes and Double Figure are pretty cool.
>>
>>61941158
fair enough on the textures - i see what you mean - but man, i still hear loads of hip-hop influence with ae, particularly on trirep, ep7, draft, and exai. even on tracks like pen expers you can see the roots pretty clearly wrt their percussion. it's one of the things that's always made them stand out, even later in their career. i just love their brand of abstract hip-hop (and quaristice and parts of untilted are super electro to me), it's different from most glitch-hop or downtempo or trip hop.
>>
>>61941252
Thanks farn, Chris Clark is the only artist that I recognized in that list. His album 'Iradelphic' is severely underrated.
>>
>>61941296
pls stop mr avant-math god ur ruining my genrel
>>
>>61941454
>ruining
>>
>>61941410
Lots of ppl were really underwhelmed by Iradelphic when it came out, I think Totem's Flare is better personally, from his recent-est output.
>>
>>61941102
1. Go to Settings in the top right corner -> Filters and Post Hiding ->
2. Tick the box next to "Filter and highlight specific threads" and then click Edit
3. Enter the faggot's tripcode in the designated field. Then click tick the "Hide" box. Press Save.
4. One less egotistical piece of faggot shit on your /mu/. Enjoy.
>>
>>61941537
I love you, anon. Why are tripcodes enabled anyways? 4chan users should always remain anonymous. No special snowflakes.
>>
>>61937580
2 more than BOC then
>>
My Top 25 Glitch/IDM/Breakcore

1. Amon Tobin - Out From Out Where
2. Venetian Snares - Songs About My Cats
3. weyheyhey !! - Harlott
4. Igorrr - Nostril
5. Alva Noto - Unitxt
6. Autechre - Gantz Graf
7. Aphex Twin - Windowlicker
8. Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children
9. Goreshit - Tomboyish Love For Daughter
10. Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma
11. Nero's Day At Disneyland - From Rotting Fantasylands
12. Pan Sonic - Kesto (Disc One)
13. Ryoji Ikeda - Dataplex
14. Squarepusher - Hard Normal Daddy
15. Blaerg - Everything Was Altered
16. Oval - 94 Diskont
17. Sweet Trip - Velocity : Design : Comfort
18. ยต-Ziq - Royal Astronomy
19. Ametsub - Linear Cryptics
20. Cyclo - Id
21. Terminal 11 - Fractured Sunshine
22. Datach'i - The Elements
23. Eero Johannes - Eero Johannes
24. Plaid - Not For Threes
25. Samurai Jazz - Meme?

Only one album per artist

>>61941454
Discussing about IDM won't ruin an IDM general, so don't worry.

>>61941593
Because not being anonymous has some benefits too.
>>
>>61941599
lol
>>
>>61941642

Would some of Jon Hopkins' songs be considered IDM?
>>
>>61941642
>17. Sweet Trip - Velocity : Design : Comfort
I really don't get why this album is rated so much, it's just harsh and boring and the cover looks like psytrance shit lol.
>>
>>61941750
its bland as hell
>>
>>61941693
Immunity is p. idm imo. This live thing even more
https://vimeo.com/4393227
I really love it I get back to that vid once or twice a year.
>>
>>61941750
>>61941782
Listen to Dedicated and re-evaluate yourself.
>>
>>61941693
Haven't heard enough of him to tell.
I have heard that he is though.
Even then, it depends on how you define IDM anyways.

>>61941750
>harsh
For the weak
>boring
Agree. Some people might call it "immersing" though.
>cover
It's great! One of my favorites.
As to why it's rated so highly?
Entry-level weird-genres album
>>
>>61941693
its just microhouse/ambient
>>
I did a do:

>>61941882
>>
The average age of the users in this thread seems to be around 15, jesus christ
>>
>>61941593
They think that they deserve an identity on an anonymous website. They take advantage of the fact that we're all cool with being anonymous. That way, their trip stands out against all the anonymous. They think they're better than you or I and that they deserve extra attention.

It's egotism i.e low self esteem.
>>
>>61941909
That wasn't really necessary

>>61941947
There is only one way to know
http://strawpoll.me/6612083

>>61941995
If you want to interpret it that way, then go ahead, but you are lying to yourself.
>>
>>61941801
Shitty pad, shitty drums, annoying stutter/gate stuff. But those breaks + vocal are good. Maybe I'll get it one day.
>>
>>61941642
>Because not being anonymous has some benefits too.

such as...
>>
>>61941995
I never really understand why tripfag-haters give tripfags so much attention. Same thing happens on /p/.
>>
>>61942058
People who don't like me can filter me
It's easier to discuss music with people when they know you and can keep track of past discussions
Some people appreciate it
If you don't like it, you can always turn "make everybody anonymous for me" anyways.

>>61942101
This. It's like the image with the guy and the pigeons, wondering why they won't go away while he keeps giving them bread.
>>
>>61939138
>he had less of a musical grasp than Squarepusher
thats definite true

>>61939138
>no dynamic range
if you look up his albums in the loudnesswar archive websites and junk, his are praised for have an exceptional dynamic range. Also his beats are great. You might just be a dumbass.
Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.