[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>post-african repetitions >somehow innovative literally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4
>post-african repetitions
>somehow innovative

literally every tribe in Mali sounds like this
>>
Rec me some tribes that sound like this, I want to get more into African music
>>
>>61912202
just fly to africa
>>
>>61912179
Mali is also one of the poorest shitholes on Earth. If those niggers didn't suck at everything but banging the drums they'd be able to market their music properly and make some money on it. Sucks to be them, not my problem.
>>
the only good thing about this album is that jon hassell plays on it
>>
>>61912256
But Ebola, AIDs, Diahorreah and Malaria...
>>
>>61912179
>disliking RiL

wew lad
>>
>>61912287
everybody lyin

it's the western anti-ecological propaganda
>>
>white artists do thing black artists already do
>acclaim from everyone while nobody gives a shit about the black artists who originated it

What did all of rock music and its consumers mean by this?
>>
>>61912179
That's called White Privilege.

Brian Eno is also someone who loves taking advantage of it.
>>
>>61912300
it's a pleasure to listen to, but it borrows too much from african tribes and it is too repetitive

syncopated drumming? yeah, but repetitive nonetheless. ends up being just enjoyable dance music, apart from the last song which is talking heads doing joy division. although the song with the albatross imagery and screechy sounds is pretty good.
>>
>>61912319
see >>61912268

The only people who can make me care about "black artists who originated x" are those black artists themselves.

I'm not gonna look for them because of some dumb phony guilt. If I'm interested enough in whatever leads to those artists, I will sure find them anyway.
>>
>>61912391
Listening Wind, i meant

the one with the screechy sounds and the albatross imagery
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-21-17-52-24.png (808 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-21-17-52-24.png
808 KB, 1080x1920
OP is literally autistic this is one of the best albums ever made
>>
>>61912469
what's your favorite fela kuti album?
>>
>>61912469
that's what i thought
>>
>>61912516
Never heard of them
I usually prefer a good Andrew Lloyd Webber musical soundtrack
>inb4 sondheim butthurts
>>
AND YOU MAY FIND YOURSELF
SHITPOSTING ON A CHINESE CARTOON IMAGEBOARD
>>
>>61912572
Not him but MY favorite Fela album is Confusion/Gentleman and it's myopic to examine just the polyrhythms composed of the bass, rhythm guitar, drums and horns. David Byrnes lyrics, vocal tone and use of inflections as well as Adrian Belew's wild guitar and Bernie Worrell's keyboards make this record completely unlike anything out of Africa. Fela's records are great in their own way. The claims that Talking Heads just did a copy paste are just bullshit.
>>
I associate Mali with pleasant guitar music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIGU11nopN0
>>
>>61912741
do you really like remain in light that much?

how can you listen to the overload and not think about how it sounds like something of Joy Division's Closer, like low-tier Decades?

once in a lifetime is a throwaway song, too.
>>
>>61912818
I do like RIL, but that wasn't my point. I was just disproving your/OP's point that it was purely derivative.

You did pick the album's weakest songs in my opinion to critique. I don't listen to those very often, but they were attempting different styles and in the case of Once in a Lifetime, it was both unique and resonated with a lot of people to the point where it became massively influential--even iconic for its time.
>>
>>61912287
What's diahorreah, is that like a worse version of diarrhea?
>>
>>61912179

Man, I love the Talking Heads
>>
>>61913332
>the
Nah, m8. But I sure do love Talking Heads.
>>
>>61913416

That's why I didn't capitalize the.
>>
>>61912287
you know there are parts of africa where these things are not an issue.
>>
>>61913036
Yes, you can catch it from toilet seats. You have to put barbed wire down the toilet.
>>
>>61913594
I hope so...I can only pray for Africa.
>>
this album wouldn't exist without african people's unending creativity and musicianship

talking heads are just a bunch of plagiarists who used african art to further their career and to give some life to their boring, soulless, contrived white people music. fuck these privileged morons.
>>
>>61913726
what about kendrick? is he our savior?
>>
>>61913726
>White music for the white people
>black music for the black people

Leftist fascism is bullshit. Don't want to listen to them? Don't!

But when you keep injecting artificial context into all art you encounter, you enter into a fascist reality where every expression needs to convey a political identity: namely yours.

You want to recommend some more "authentic" music, go ahead. But no art should be disqualified from the public discourse strictly because of the artists background.
>>
I just posted an example of REAL musical plagiarism in another thread.

Enjoy!

>>61914137
>>
>>61913706
Ghana has a decently high standard of living in their cities, it's just that when you go out into the countryside you come across the stereotypical small farming village-type comunities.
>>
>>61913848
>fascism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkEt_5qOtq8
>>
>>61912818
>how can you listen to the overload and not think about how it sounds like something of Joy Division's Closer, like low-tier Decades?

>not realising that the whole point of The Overload was to sound like Joy Division
>>
>>61915142
>>not realising that the whole point of The Overload was to sound like Joy Division
how?
why?
how was that in any way a good idea?
>>
>>61912179
AND YOU MAY ASK YOURSELF
>>
>Fear of Music
>Remain in Light
How could they be such a hyped up band when they only have two decent albums?
>>
>>61913726
>[album] wouldn't exist without [influential album/musical movement], so therefore it is bad
>>
>>61915305
77 is better than them both and More Songs is better than Fear of Music.

Nice try though
>>
File: same as it ever was.jpg (67 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
same as it ever was.jpg
67 KB, 500x500
>>61913726

>whitey always be stealing our shiiiiit
>we wuz about to go in space when yall wuz being made in caves

Every medium ever was based upon borrowing (or plagiarism, if you'd like) elements from other songs and incorporating them in a new way. I know you're b8ing but some people are actually retarded enough to say this unironically.
>>
>>61915334

I meant cultures, not songs, but I'm sure you get the idea.
>>
>>61915334
dumb fishposter
>>
>>61912659
AND YOU MAY ASK YOURSELF "WHY IS THIS GUY SO AUTISTIC?"
>>
File: frisky.png (33 KB, 212x304) Image search: [Google]
frisky.png
33 KB, 212x304
>>61915305
>he doesn't know that 77 is their best album
>>
>>61912179
>post-african repetitions
Fuck off Stockhausen you're a hack.
>>
WE WUZ KAAAAAANNNNNGGGZZ
>>
>>61912256
confirmed for knowing nothing about what he is talking about
>>
for those that don't know this meme
>"I heard the piece Aphex Twin of Richard James carefully: I think it would be
very helpful if he listens to my work Song Of The Youth, which is electronic
music, and a young boy's voice singing with himself. Because he would then
immediately stop with all these post-African repetitions, and he would look
for changing tempi and changing rhythms, and he would not allow to repeat
any rhythm if it were varied to some extent and if it did not have a direction
in its sequence of variations." -Karlheinz Stockhausen
>>
>>61912391
where's the fucking patent that apparently the entire continent of africa filed for all syncopated rhythms ever
>>
>>61912391
what is wrong with repetition?

I guess you dont like house...
>>
>>61912268

Try Salif Keita. The golden voice of Mali. Really is
>>
Every Fela Kuti song is kind of like the first 4 songs on Remain In Light combined and extended to 15-20 mins
>>
>>61912179

/mu/ is shit
>>
>>61912659
kek'd
>>
>>61917739
i like herbert because he combines minimal house with jazz and sensual female vocals

good background music
>>
>>61912202
Deep Forest
>>
>>61912338
Actually it's Socio-Economic Privilege, it just so happens that European Imperialism happens to be propogated by white people, on account of y'know, Europeans being mostly white.

The distance between African Tribes living in 3rd World Nations and Western 1st World Nations is much larger than issues strictly relating to race, and using the shorthand of "White Privilege" which only really applies to a massively Americentric worldview is retarded.

If Japanese Musicians had Appropriated the sounds in a critically acclaimed work; even in a localized environment it wouldn't be White Privilege, and yet there would be no clamouring to label it as "yellow" or any other privilege based on factors of race as prescriptive.

Now just imagine if the Mongolian Empire didn't fracture.

I agree with you partly though.
>>
>>61913726
>Stockhosen was a sampling pioneer, all hiphop music is stealing from whites!

>Diatonic scales and polyphonic harmony are european inventions. Ergo jazz owes its roots to europeans!

>Africans playing sax, sax is european, blacks stealing white culture !!

>Microphones are a white invention, any black that records music is appropriating white culture !

You're an idiot.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.