[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
9.5/10 Agree?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 2
File: Blackstar_album_cover.jpg (22 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Blackstar_album_cover.jpg
22 KB, 800x800
9.5/10

Agree?
>>
8/10
>>
I was pretty disappointed actually - 8.7 max
>>
>>61608175
>using memefork rating system
>>
6.5/10

it was alright
>>
>>61608156
Yes
>>
>>61608156
if you didn't rate this 0.5 on rym you should be banished from your state
>>
>>61608175
>9/10 is disappointing
>>
>>61608216
the singles were so good ;_;

it's actually good and best Bowie since Outside, but I was really hoping for something even better
>>
/mu/ liking bowie so much is a real bad sign

this albums is a typical 7/10
>>
>>61608258
in a week or so everyone on here will (seem to) hate Bowie, just wait a little
>>
>>61608175
>well above average
>disappointed

Only thing I'm disappointed with is /mu/ trying to say 'tis a pity she was a whore isn't one of the top 3 tracks on the album
>>
4/5
>>
>>61608294
>Only thing I'm disappointed with is /mu/ trying to say 'tis a pity she was a whore isn't one of the top 3 tracks on the album

it's easily the best song on the album & the only one with an actual vocal melody.
>>
>>61608351
>the only one with an actual vocal melody.

well, okay so does the title track middle section (but it's cheesy as hell)
>>
>>61608351
the previously released version is much better
>>
>>61608156
7ish, low 8. I liked it well enough, and it's a great bowie album, but it felt lacking at some parts and the words sometimes seemed a bit out of touch with the music.
>>
>>61608378
yeah, the one that everybody calls a 'demo'. i agree, it's probably the better version. pity whore & god loves the girl are my favorite bowie songs from the comeback period.
>>
Sue is obviously the best song
>>
>>61608380
>but it felt lacking at some parts
yeah me too. Before I knew it the album was already over
>>
7/10 second half pales in comparison to the first
>>
8.5 is correct.
>>
Lazarus = Slip Away

I can't give everything away = Thursday's Child

sadly, bowie is really running out of ideas.
>>
File: pikachu on bus.jpg (43 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
pikachu on bus.jpg
43 KB, 720x720
I'm having a hard time getting into this album. It's too focused on its lyrical content and doesn't offer interesting instrumentals.
>>
>>61608823
It's completely mediocre. A real lack of melodic ideas. I've been a Bowie fan for 10+ years, have collected 80+ of his cds, and this may very well be the first album of him I'm not going to buy...

...call me a contrarian, whatever. I actually want to like Blackstar... but I can't.
>>
>>61608156
I gave it a 8/10 but I won't be surprised if I see people giving it a 9/10. I mean the album is indeed great and sometimes I even thought it was excellent.
>>
>>61608912
>have collected 80+ of his cds
so you bould like multiple copies of the same CD or did you get a CD/vinyl/casette or what?
>>
>>61609155
yeh, i bought pretty much every cd edition of his albums i could get (for a reasonable price that is). so quite a few german & japanese RCA cds, and all the rykos and '99 emi remasters.
>>
>>61608763
You are talking about a guy who spammed a whole era of great/excellent albums and even after that era still tried to remain relevant with some okay to good albums. At his age I doubt Bowie has that many more ideas. Dude left his mark and with Blackstar it just became bigger but not by much.
>>
>>61608763

You cans ay that about almost any artist

>Radiohead

pyramid song - Codex - Spectre

>Kanye

The one about shoes and feeling insecure
>>
>>61609182
ah that's impressive. Even if you don't like the album I'd buy it anyway just so your collection is complete
>>
>>61609263
>You cans ay that about almost any artist

i'm sure that's true. however so far i haven't had to say it about one of my all time fav artists, david bowie... so granted i'm disappointed.
>>
>>61609281
>Even if you don't like the album I'd buy it anyway just so your collection is complete

i'm sure i'll end up buying it eventually... however this time i will actually WAIT for the deluxe edition.
>>
8.8ish I think? Better than an 8.5 but not quite a 9, although it probably would be if the longer version of Sue was the one used because I liked that one a lot better. Title track is by far the best thing on the album.
>>
>>61608392

It is a demo, it was recorded at Bowie's home studio.
>>
8/10
>>
>>61608156
Eh, its 7/10 at a push, without "blackstar" and "Girl loves me" it would be sub 4/10 , and does anyone else like the second half of blackstar, but the build up until 4 mins in is pretty shit?
>>
Giving inflated scores to an album is the hallmark of the pleb. There should be at most 20 albums in the history of rock/modern music that you would give a 9 to.
>>
>>61609825
>There should be at most 20 albums in the history of rock/modern music that you would give a 9 to.

that is just the sign of a miserable cunt.
>>
8/10 better than The Next Day. A little disappointed because I was expecting something much weirder and I was expecting some much interesting instrumentals. That said, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy each track for what it was as opposed to my expectations.
>>
>>61609797
>and does anyone else like the second half of blackstar, but the build up until 4 mins in is pretty shit?

no i think the build-up is pretty darn good & and hearing just that from the pre-release samples kinda got my hopes up. but the more tuneful part of blackstar sound really corny to me, sorry to say.
>>
>>61609825
>over 30 MILLION people on the planet
>only 20 bands (at most) capable of making great music according to anon
>>
>>61609840
depends, because ratings are a bit overdone now, like now a 9/10 is equal to a 7+/10 10 years ago
>>
>>61609882
i agree but there are easily more than 20 albums worth a 9+ rating in the history of rock music.
>>
6.5/10
>>
>>61609866
I think it would work if it was split into two songs, and an extra minute or two was added on to ends would be a lot better
>>
>>61610008

It was two songs originally, and it was 11+ minutes but had to be cut because itunes only allow singles to be 10 minutes. Tony visconti says there's 5 unreleased songs as well so we'll probably get an Extra version like TND with hopefully the original version of Blackstar.
>>
>>61610237
>5 unreleased songs as well so we'll probably get an Extra version like TND with hopefully the original version of Blackstar.
I really really really hope so.
>>
>>61610237
Probably will get a deluxe version, yeah, any Japanese bonus tracks?? But Visconti said they totally scrapped the 11 minute version of Blackstar because Bowie said he didn't want to put out two versions of the same song that were so similar as, to paraphrase, it'd confuse the plebs.
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6495250

VOTE
honour rule- multiple votes enabled, but you can only choose 3 songs
>>
>>61608165
yep
>>
It's a solid 8.
>>
Was I supposed to like the title track? Because that really lowers the standard of the rest of the album. Apart from that, it was okay. Hardly Bowie's best, but it seems he's not dead yet.

6/10
>>
I really really liked it. More than most music.
9/10
>>
I'll be honest, I didn't like this.

5/10, maybe 6/10 at most. But I thought it sounded cheesy as fuck
>>
8/10
Maybe 8.5/10, it's really good.
>>
8.5 out of 10, best new music I've heard
>>
>>61612184
Same. I'm not getting the appeal at all. For those that are diggin' it, what's the appeal?
>>
I'd give the album 6/10.

I Can't Give Everything away is my favorite song here, but I also find the title track and 'Tis a pity pretty good.
Rest of the material is kinda boring, but I like bits and pieces of it. For example the little ditty in the middle of Girl Loves Me, the guitar twangs in Lazarus and drum beats all around the album.

Anyone giving this album more than 8 is basically retarded because then stuff like Scary Monsters should be 12/10.
>>
>>61613296
Scary Monsters is a 12/10 tho
>>
I think it might be time for me to get into Bowie

I was never that impressed with Ziggy Stardust tho outside of the hits... what other album(s) should I try if I like this?
>>
>>61608823
The percussion is insane. Listen again.
>>
>>61613336
My favorites are Hunky Dory and Low.
>>
>>61613336
The Man Who Sold the World if you like rock

Low if you like a more bleep bloopy sound

Heroes if you aren't sure what you like
>>
>>61613336
Station to Station is great
>>
>>61613336
Heroes was the first Bowie album I heard, and blew me away
>>
>>61613336
Scary Monsters, lad.
>>
>>61608276
This. Which suck s because this album really is good. Probably an 8/10. But for a week or two everyone will be giving it 9s and 10s and then realize that it's popular and start trash talking it.
>>
It's a decent album. Blackstar and Lazarus are pretty good songs, the rest is ok. 'Tis a pity isn't as good as the version already released, which is a shame.
>>
>>61609869
30 million. you aren't very good at counting are you? I agree though
>>
>>61615718
over 30 million. you aren't very good at reading are you?
>>
Blackstar is my first introduction to Bowie and I fucking love it. It really hits all the strings for me. I love how the percussion almost reaches a hip hop sound, but remains in the jazz realm, I love the synths, and his vocals hit me. The textures could have a bit more depth, but are still great.

Slightly unrelated, do the bits on the bottom of the cover spell Bowie? If not, what are they?
>>
8.5/10
It kinda makes me sick that i gave it the same score as P4K.
>>
8/10 would have been higher if it wasn't for the repetition
>>
>>61608156
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.