[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do some smart high school students want to major in Music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: trumpet paperclip.jpg (44 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
trumpet paperclip.jpg
44 KB, 640x640
Note: I am talking about NON-AMERICAN countries where you can major in Medicine, Dentistry, etc as an UNDERGRADUATE)

Some high school students who got extremely good grades in their finals (i.e. good enough for Medicine in non-American countries) decide to major in Music. Why would they pick that?

It's a waste of their good marks to pick Music. The field is hard to break into. They pay is also significantly lower than many other fields. And really, all jobs become boring over time and each job has its own shitty aspects. Playing the same songs on a piano each day will become dull over time. And if you become a Music teacher, you need to deal with kids who don't give a shit about music.
>>
maybe because they enjoy it?
>>
>>61457614
Most people hate their jobs over time. Really all jobs are stressful and have their own shitty aspects. Work is not meant to be fun.
>>
>>61457608
Because that's just how they roll, and they don't give a fuck about no money or shit. And they don't give a fuck about anything.
>>
>>61457629
They hate their jobs over time because they do shitty STEM jobs
>>
>>61457608
You can always go back and get a useful degree later on. Use your youth to learn the things you love.
>>
>>61457629
no, i mean maybe they like to study it
>>
>>61457699

This. Life isn't about working to have fun later. You should be enjoying what you do 40 hours a week.
>>
>>61457699
>inplying music jobs are not shit
>>
smart ass kids are gonna be okay no matter what they do might as well enjoy
>>
File: 1422070342467.jpg (42 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1422070342467.jpg
42 KB, 400x400
not even possible in my country
higher musical education is the last level of a three-level program. you complete the first two before in a music school(while still attending normal school).
what's kinda shit is that the oldest you can be to get into 2nd level is 16.
>>
>>61457975
No, a lot of Music majors ended up in retail, fast food restaurants, etc.
>>
>>61457991
Where are you from?
>>
>>61458017
Poland my man
>>
>>61457991
>what's kinda shit is that the oldest you can be to get into 2nd level is 16.
How is this shit?
>>
>>61458075
because pretty much no kid wants to go to music school because they think it's boring and sucks so signing them up is 90% parents' initiative. by the time the kids whose parents couldn't be fucked to do it kind of grow up to realize they are interested in music enough to study it and get a degree, it's too late(like it was with me)
also sorry, I made a mistake. 16 is the oldest you can be to get into 1st level
>>
>>61458135
Kek studying a STEM field is beter than Music
>>
>>61458154
what about people who aren't interested in the STEM field and don't want to get into it just because of money but want to be trained in music?
>>
>>61458171
So what? A music job will become monotonous and boring over time.
>>
>>61458310
so can a lot of STEM jobs
but what point are we exactly arguing here? are you just stating your opinion about jobs in music or are you saying that no one should pursue a career in that field?
>>
Most music majors I've seen had parents who were quite well off, so if the music thing doesn't work out they can just get a decent regular job using their parents' connections.
>>
>>61458325
I am saying that since all jobs sucks, people might as well pick one which pays better
>>
>>61458431
not all jobs suck for everyone
some people actually like their job
>>
>>61458439
Read this: http://www.fastcoexist.com/3021789/everyone-in-the-world-hates-their-jobs-but-americans-hate-theirs-the-most
>>
>>61458477
>tens of millions of workers around the world
>survey of 8000 people
wew lad
>>
>>61458491
Why are you even replying to this guy? He is some troll/idiotic kid who posts different versions of this thread on /adv/ and other boards all the time for months.
>>
>>61458491
8000 people is large enough for sampke size
>>
>>61458491
>"I don't know statistics"
>>
You're gonna hate your job more if you do something you don't enjoy, even if you hrow to get tired of music it will still be more fun than some bullshit you never liked in the first place. Also, some people actually have ambition in their life to do what they want and not what they think is the "smartest" thing to do.
>>
>>61458763
How? Wtf
>>
>>61458439
Did you know people enjoy STEM u fucken druggo
>>
They are pursuing their dreams. It is totally okay to do that.
>>
>>61460467
>pursuing their dreams
Kek and how many people actually succeed?
>>
>>61457608
I just dropped out of architecture school and later computer science because I'd rather kill myself than not work with music and realize my dream of being a composer and song-writer. I know I'm privileged, but I've danced on peoples' hands my whole life and now I just want to not care about what others want from me, what's useful for society etc. and just do the things I actually want to do in life. If you have complaints about this, you can fuck off.

I've sacrificed stability and security and will probably become a nervous wreck, but I still think it's worth it. It has to be better than rotting away in something meaningless and regretting the roads you didn't take for the rest of your 60+ years of life. Even on bad days, music feels meaningful and somewhat tolerable.
>>
>>61460936
It sucks to be stuck at McDonalds flipping burgers though. You sure pursuing a career in Music is worth it? You may get sick of it in the future.
>>
>>61458431
are that dumb, really? stop posting and do something with your life, PLEASE.
>>
>>61460953
Then I'll just kill myself. I'll give it everything I've got to not fall down that slope though.
>>
>>61460972
I am not dumb. It's logical that if you sacrifice stability, you may end up at McDonalds.
>>
>>61460983
You sound like a high school kid.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.