[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The hivemind is real
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
Why?

I'm convinced many people here don't enjoy music for it's own sake. Instead they treat it like a social competition where you earn points by conforming to invisible standards by having the "correct" records.
>>
youre not wrong
>>
because the other albums are not as well known as the counter-part
>>
>>61433119
what are the 2nd, 4th, and 5th albums from the bottom left
>>
>>61433175
5th one is m b v - my bloody valentine
>>
>>61433119
yeah probably
>>
You're correct to be honest.

Pretty easy cure, don't care about what some next anon pleb says. Enjoy music senpai.
>>
>>61433175
Helvetia - The Clever North Wind
Tortoise - Standards
My Bloody Valentine - m b v
>>
>>61433119
i dont listen to any music if i cant scobble it.
>>
>>61433119
who fucking cares? if you want discussion on those albums/bands stop being lazy and google it
you'll find plenty of forums discussing them.
>>
>>61433189

Basically, this. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion as well, but its a shame most people on this board never truly speak their own.

Also, personally, I prefer every album on the top except one, the Godspeed one.

Also also, what do you expect from /mu/?
>>
I swear, communities didn't use to be so critical of themselves.
>>
I dunno.

I like albums that /mu/ doesn't. Sometimes the albums I like are so 'bad' people think I'm joking when I have them on my chart
>>
>>61433213
That's bullshit, what forum discusses the clever north wind?

>>61433222
Be honest. Have you heard every album on the bottom?
>>
>>61433170
That's circular logic. If you truly enjoy an artist, it doesn't take much time to dig into their material.

I made this thread because I bought The Future of What when it came out. I owned or listened to every Unwound release for several years. Leaves has some interesting sonic ideas that are just unfinished, so to me its a frustrating listen.

It could have been great. There's a lot of lazy songwriting. Where are the hypnotic guitar riffs? Where are the complex melodies? Where is there any tension built in the arrangements? Where is the rhythmic interplay between the instruments? Where's the energy in the vocals?

Then it shows up on every chart and a few OPs a day sucking its dick and I'm left wondering if people here are even bothering to look past Pitchfork reviews to get their tastes.
>>
>>61433357
>I didn't like it so anyone who claims to like it must be lying to themselves
>>
>>61433608
>there is no such thing as an informed opinion
>>
>>61433119
I rarely see I Could Live In Hope posted outside of slowcore threads. Otherwise I completely agree with what you're saying.
>>
>>61433119
>m b v
>never talked about
Were you even here on /mu/ when it was released? People went apeshit over it for one reason or another. Even now, it still gets brought up from time to time. Isn't Anything is their best record anyways.

Women's s/t and especially Yanqui UXO have been discussed a fair bit too you fucking dummy.
>>
>>61433718
Okay. I concede your point to some degree. Although, the records you mentioned aren't discussed as much anymore as they once were. While the ones on top are still at meme status.

I'm sure you have better examples of this same phenomenon. You know it's happening.
>>
>>61433718
and I think you understand that I don't think the records on the bottom are necessarily better (except in a few cases). They have have different attributes that, in my opinion, makes them almost as great, just as great or even better than the meme records.
>>
>>61433765
I'm obviously not the first person to suggest this, but maybe it's for the best that not every single good record is an overblown meme?
>>
Culture is funny that way
>>
>>61433837
Have you ever heard of the saying
>History is a story told by the victors
>>
>>61433868
?
>>
>>61433119
MBV is discussed in /shugazi/ threads all the time. Loveless just happens to be their most influential and popular release.
>>
>>61433119
I've seen Repetition, m b v, 154 and Public Strain discussed here fairly often.
>>
>>61433357
not that guy, but it isn't circular logic. discussion here centers around certain albums because a fast paced discussion board will cater to the lowest common denominator, regardless of how many people listen to other albums by the same band
>>
>>61433921
Maybe you have better examples...do you?

>>61433904
Maybe the consequences aren't dire. It's frustrating when people INVENT justifications for why Repetition, m b v, or Standards are trash. And refuse to even acknowledge a record like Clever North Wind exists.

Also, I bought Transmission Flux when it came out, and no one gave two shits about Stratosphere until about a year ago. I hate when shit like that happens.
>>
File: unwound-leaves-turn-inside-you.jpg (12 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
unwound-leaves-turn-inside-you.jpg
12 KB, 500x500
>>61433959
That's mostly BS. When pic related is in the OP, how many different bands records do you need to discuss? And that's at least a thread every day.

I guess that makes sense for chart threads, though.
>>
>>61433995
>Maybe you have better examples...do you?
Not really, but you claim those albums on the bottom are "never talked about", while some of those are pretty regularly posted on the board.

Then again, you claim the top ones are popular on /mu/ when Low, Tortoise, and Pink Flag aren't being posted much more than the ones you listed on the bottom row.
>>
>>61434068
I just picked the bands I enjoy. I could give a fuck about Death Grips and Kanye.

I've been through the chart threads. I stand by my choices.
>>
>>61434053
>That's mostly BS
Why? popularity happens. people try to make informed decisions about the albums they check out, so they naturally trend towards certain ones. I doubt you've explored the discography of every band you've checked out. mu is fast and poorly informed, but not too pretentious
>>
>>61434115
I'm just sitting here asking myself how anyone else could possibly not think this is the best Godspeed album.
>>
>>61433995
> I hate when shit like that happens.
You hate it when bands you like get popular?
Don't get me wrong, what you said in the OP is true, but I don't understand why this bothers you. Sure, most people here only listen to an artist's most popular release which is a shame, but isn't it good that this sudden popularity makes at least some people want to check out an artist's other releases and side projects?
>>
>>61434115
You got me . You finally wore me down. This was just a frustrated
>start liking what I like
vent.
I just think it would be nice if the records on the bottom were discussed a bit more by more people.

Shows over, everyone.

Thanks for listening.
>>
>>61434177
It's bittersweet. I love talking about Stratosphere and sharing rare recordings with people. But a part of me is like: where were all these circlejerkers 10 years ago.
>>
File: handcorebrah.jpg (328 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
handcorebrah.jpg
328 KB, 1024x768
>>61434169
That's not handcore, brah.
>>
>>61435219
do you regret it yet
>>
>>61433119
This Helvetia album sounds good, senpai. DOes not sound a THING like Stratosphere though, like at least make a cogent comparison
>>
>>61435219
The Thumbnail makes it look like a furry Mario.
>>
>>61433119
the purpose of /mu/ is to recommend music

therefore we mainly listen to the music that has been recommended

this would be the case whether our tastes were influenced or not

get over it faggots
>>
>>61433247
google the album for reviews and you'll fine shit
stop being lazy. you're just as bad as the p4k drones who wanna be spoonfed.
>>
>>61433119
/mu/ is one of the worst boards but not because any of the reasons you mentioned
>>
>>61433119
Repetition and Public Strain get talked about all the time
MBV doesn't get talked about anymore because it sucked
Wire's first 3 albums get talked about equally, I'd go as far to say Pink Flag is probably the least discussed
>>
>>61436267
this
>>
>>61436174
Jason and Dove: that's 2/3
Every album comparison is from the same group or shares the majority of the members.
>>
>>61436300
I come here to get away from hugbox circlejerks so I can expand my musical horizons.
>>
>>61436353
For the boards discussing popular media, /mu/ is far more reasonable and intellectually curious than /tv/ or /v/. I just get frustrated at some hivemind aspects of this place.
>>
>>61433119
>some albums by certain artists get talked about more than others

hmm I wonder why
>>
>>61433357
>Where are the complex melodies
Do people who say this type of shit even know what they're saying
>>
>>61433357
>There's a lot of lazy songwriting. Where are the hypnotic guitar riffs? Where are the complex melodies? Where is there any tension built in the arrangements? Where is the rhythmic interplay between the instruments? Where's the energy in the vocals?
it's funny because those things you say are not there are some of the exact reasons why I think Leaves is great
could it be you who is blind? or maybe people think different things are good?
>>
>>61433119
repetition
mbv
women
yanqui
>never talked about
are all popular you fucking newfag
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.