[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Things you always wanted to know but were too afraid to ask
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 10
How did people find music before the internet?
>>
>>61420087
Friends, magazines, other people, local scenes, record stores, etc.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 640x481) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 640x481
We did this crazy thing where...get this... We actually went to a store (in public, as in walking outside your house) this store was filled with albums, be it cassette tapes, vinyls and even CDs. We would browse through the store until something tickled our fancy and purchased said record.
>>
They hung around record stores
Making jokes was their equivalent of shitposting
>>
>>61420165
>JUST
I've downloaded nine albums today. How does it feel to have been ¢ucked your entire life?
>>
>>61420290
>lel I don't buy music I'm superior than everyone because I get what I want from artists I dare to say I like for free when streaming services exist
>hey guys check my bandcamp, latest album is only 12 euros
>>
File: 652354.jpg (49 KB, 497x343) Image search: [Google]
652354.jpg
49 KB, 497x343
>>61420173
>actually talking to people instead of shitposting
scary...
>>
>>61421302
If I hear an artist's album enough, then I will show all my friends and try to spread the word to people that I also feel will enjoy it. I will also go see them in concert if they come near me, which is where most of the artist's revenue comes from anyway.

I mean fuck sorry Kanye is missing 20 dollars from me, but I'm sure he'll get over it.
>>
>>61421435
who the fuck cares about kayne? Record Stores usually had a lot of shit from local bands.
>>
>>61421435
>IT'S OKAY CAUSE THEY ARE RICH
>>
>>61421476
Local bands? I make it a point to go to their shows. Might buy a t-shirt or something.

Most of the local bands near me aren't good enough for me to listen to their albums. If they want to interest me, then they need to put their music up online.
>>
>>61421435
>download shit for free
>push music taste on friends
>go to concerts IF they are near to you
you're all take and no give eh?
>>
>>61421490
Not saying that and I understand that it's a compounding effect, but if I like an artist enough then I'll go to their show. But I won't know if I like them if I don't hear their music. If you're that good and enough people find out, you'll blow up and get higher paying gigs. Until then, the "local bands" can have fun playing at the local bar every couple of months.
>>
You should check out soundcloud, find a song you like and just browse the related tracks and what people like
>>
>>61421552
>But I won't know if I like them if I don't hear their music
What is streaming?
>>
>>61421547
Well there's a couple bands that I would travel just about anywhere to see, they just haven't been touring lately.

Me and my friends are always showing each other new music. It's a mutual thing.

And yeah, I'm a dick and download most of my music. Like I said, if I like you then I'll go to your show but I don't want to spend 10-15 dollars on an album that I might fucking hate anyway. That's like giving someone you don't know 15 bucks to surprise you with food. Could be pleasant or it could be an absolute waste.
>>
why does no body put out as much material as the beatles? multiple years they put out 2 albums
>>
>>61421520
But, what if, there was no online?
>>
>>61421637
Buckethead mate
>>
>>61421637
No idea. Some say it's because it's better to focus on one album and work hard on it than do quality over quantity. But I think it's possible to the more prolific artists, (for example Madlib if he wanted to do his own instrumental albums again) to be putting out more albums per year.
>>
>>61421637
That may have been a sustainable strategy back then but not so much now
>>
>>61421590
Well if the argument is about artist's not getting the money they deserve for their art, isn't streaming one of the worst things you could do? I really don't know much about how payouts go with that stuff, but I assume that's what all the Tidal stuff was about.

I just don't feel like the percentage of the money that goes to the actual artist is enough to justify me paying 15 bucks for something I might fucking hate. Then that artist might get 5 bucks for putting out shit on an album and then slapping a cover cool enough for me to want to buy it.

Plus if I can stream their entire album, why the fuck would I go out and buy it? Next time I enjoy an album, I'll just mail that nigga $10 directly to his address or something just to make you guys happy
>>
>>61421714
>Plus if I can stream their entire album, why the fuck would I go out and buy it?
So you can listen to it, know if it is shit or not, then decide if you want to buy it or just listen to the streamed version. Your post raises questions with answers on itself.
>>
>>61421658
If there was no online, then I would have to hear about new bands through my friends and find out about upcoming shows through my fucking newspaper or some shit dude.

I bet the people who made mixtapes by recording their favorite songs when they came on the radio are dicks too, right?

The most profitable thing an artist can have is a fan. They are the ones who fill out the stadiums, request songs on the radio, and buy merchandise. The more people you reach, the more money you make.
>>
how did James Murphy know every band he name dropped in Losing My Edge. That stuff is bizarre to me I know nothing was too obscure but it seems like it takes a lot of effort to discover let alone listen to that many bands.
>>
>>61421626
>Could be pleasant or it could be an absolute waste

That's what makes it exciting to buy a new album
>>
>>61420087
It was fucking hard, unless you had like a cool older brother somehow or lived somewhere that had like a uni radio station. i remember when i discovered option magazine - had super small font cramped record reviews in the back. scanned furiously. got godflesh on cassette (mindblown wtf is this) and got throwing muses from reading the reviews. it was slow and incremental. you fuckers are lucky.
>>
>>61421795
back in the days getting good taste and discovering artists was something you had to work on. Visit lots of record stores and talk to people "in the know", not some anon who will ctrl+v some mega link for you in a sharethread.
>>
>>61421742
Not really. Apparently there's something wrong wth me downloading music so I asked "how am I supposed to know if I'm gonna like an album". The answer was streaming.

Now if I can stream an album that I like, why the fuck would I go out and buy it? To support the artist? If I feel like an artist deserves my support, I'll go to their show, where they make the most revenue anyway.
>>
>>61421851
>If I can just enter the farm and get the apples, why should I pay the farmer? To support him?
>>
>>61421821
I mean I see what you're saying but then you're getting into monthly gift box tier shit, except you can't return things you don't like.

I was thinking about getting a record player the other day, but even then I would only purchase albums that I already knew I enjoyed. I mean I guess if you're cool with the guy at the record store, you could swap records and try different ones all the time. Or you could just use the fucking internet cuz its 2015 + 1 day
>>
>>61420087
Difference between psych folk, prog folk, freak folk, and acid folk?
>>
Difference between shoegaze and dreampop?
Difference between dub and reggae?
Difference between blackgae and doomgaze?
Difference between ambient, drone, and noise?
>>
File: josh.jpg (101 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
josh.jpg
101 KB, 1280x720
>>61421851
>there is nothing more to a bought album than the music in it
>no files arranged per album, with the tracks in order
>no files with album artwork on them
>no high quality audio files
>no cool artworks and inserts on physical albums
>no lyrics sheets
>nothing, it's the same thing as streaming
>>
>>61421980
I know, I'm a dick and a pirate. Always have been. I don't feel like I'm stealing apples from the farmer. What if the apples are fucking rotten?

And if the apples are that damn good, then I'm gonna go to the farmer's house and buy some of that home made pie (the live shows) and tell all my friends to do the same.

If the apples were fucking rotten, then they aren't a very good farmer and should probably try something else.
>>
>>61421972
>Difference between shoegaze and dreampop?
one is rock and the other is pop god damn it

>Difference between dub and reggae?
Dub is inherently more electronic and more DJ-friendly

>Difference between blackgae and doomgaze?
One hails from Black metal and the other from Doom Metal

>Difference between ambient, drone, and noise?
Ambient music is supposed to be background music similar to muzak, that according to Brian Eno should be just as ignorable as it is interesting. Drone somehow similar to ambient being the kind of music where long notes are held through the track long, sometimes having the line between drone and dark ambient very blurred, and noise hails from noise experiments, musique concrete and european dadaism/futurism, and is way harsher and unpredictable than the other two.

Seriously the only arguably non-retarded question there is the second one.
>>
File: FOX.gif (111 KB, 223x207) Image search: [Google]
FOX.gif
111 KB, 223x207
>>61422035
>I'm gonna go to the farmer's house and buy some of that home made pie (the live shows)
MY FUCKING SOUL IS LEAVING ME
>>
What the fuck is art rock? How is it different from rock that supposedly isn't art? Why don't people consider progressive or experimental rock as art rock, even though it's usually more artistic, complicated, innovative than normal rock?
>>
>>61422035

No you're a butt-pirate, there's a difference
>>
Do we actually like In the Aeroplane Over the Sea?
>>
>>61422208
I don't tip either
>>
>>61422155
>though it's usually more artistic, complicated, innovative than normal rock?
i think you meant 'more complicated' m8
>>
Why do people like Harsh Noise?

Why do people like crunkcore?

Why do people like nerdcore?

Why do people like vaporwave?

At what point does Japanese music stop being "J-pop" and start being "World music"?
>>
>>61422222
>>61422222
>>61422222
>>61422222
if it's kpopp I kill myself
>>
>>61422223
Yes, but often for different reasons.
>>
Is the love for K-pop ironic, waifufaggery, or genuine?
>>
>>61422255
Both experimental and progressive rock are, by definiton, more innovative than 'generic' rock. You could argue about the artistic part, but I was referring to the intent of the creator. If someone tries to create experimental rock they usually try to create something of artistic merit, whether they manage or not.
>>
How did people live before 4chan?
>>
this is going to sound uppity but fuck it. Did people before the internet actually appreciate music as an artform?
>>
>>61421907
damn...
>>
>>61422262
because it's fun thing to do. I can't word it in easier terms.
>>
>>61422358
better
>>
>>61422384

2/10 made me reply
>>
>>61422035
>I don't feel like I'm stealing apples from the farmer. What if the apples are fucking rotten?
It's good to know that you aren't stealing as long as it is shit.

>Son, why did you steal this car
>well, it's a pile of shit, so what's the problem
>>
Discovering music pre-internet wasn't really any harder than as it is now (although this could highly depend on where you're from).

Mags like Spin (who were once an "alternative mag"), Mojo, Future Music, Mixmag, Alternative Press, and Urb did a pretty thorough job in covering the "obscure" and "underground." College radio and MTV (with shows like 120 minutes and AMP) in the pre-reality show years were also good for exposing you to new music.

The main difference between now and then was it was A LOT more expensive to be a so-called music hipster in those days. You see a cool music video on AMP or 120 minutes from Bjork (before stardom), Aphex Twin, Underworld, Autechre, Future Sound of London, etc, and you want the full length album, you might have to pay 20-40.00 for an import copy. And a lot of the obscure from the 60's,70's, 80's was only available on LP, and copies typically weren't cheap. But there were tape traders at least.
>>
File: 1445289583787.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1445289583787.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>61422384
If anything, the internet did the opposite.
>>
>>61422355
your intent is shit.
no one gives a fuck about 'generic rock' unless its acdc and im 6 beers in.
>>
>>61422315
Literally depends on the person. The entire fad definitely exists because of all three reasons.

>>61422358
Differently.

>>61422384
Why wouldn't they be able to? The only reason I could see is that, before the internet existed, they didn't have access to as much music, which made it a lot more difficult to listen to more music.
>>
>>61422437
yes it was.
>>
>>61422155
Art rock is just a term used for a brand of rock closely related to prog where a lot of the guys that started it went to arts schools. That's where it gets the name: it's not some claim that it's more artistic or anything
>>
>>61422462
I've genuinely absolutely no idea what you are trying to say. I don't really give a fuck about generic rock either.

>>61422437
>>61422490
It wasn't exactly difficult to listen to new music in general, but you couldn't be as picky, and discovering music of a particular niche-genre was very difficult. Sometimes you had to listen to what you could find.
>>
>>61422436
As if an album is anywhere near the worth of a car
>>
9 AM - Wake up
10AM - walk to record store and gamble on records you might like
5PM - return home after spending 90 dollars on records you might like
6PM - 12AM - Listen to music on low quality speakers while staring at the fucking wall. find you enjoy 2 out of the 9 records. can't return the rest so you put them on your vinyl shelf that takes up half your room.

9AM - Wake up
10AM - See 35 album torrents finished downloading last night
11AM - 12AM - Enjoy the albums that you selected free of charge that you know are good.
>>
How do musicians listen to their own music without absolutely hating their work?

I try to listen to music I've made but I end up cringing and deleting the file/ripping up the lyrics sheet.
>>
>>61421701
Why not now? I feel like it would probably be even better to do now, because recording costs have gone down, everyone has shorter attention spans because the internet, etc.
>>
>>61422626
because when you set out to make a song you have no idea what your dong, don't have intent, and don't have a clear picture in your mind. so you compare the final product to the great works you have listened to.

When they make a song they have clear intent on what they are trying to make and when they listen to the final product they can either cringe at the fact that they missed the mark or they could enjoy it because they accomplished what they set out to make.
>>
>>61422626
NO! DON'T DO THIS
Seriously dude, you're music has worth. You've always got to remember that there is no GOOD or BAD music. It's all noise, and you've made noise! Which is awesome! Save your noise, you never know who needs it!
>>
>>61422690
or just don't record anything at all. This is my way of playing.
>>
>>61422626
I tend to do the opposite. When I make something I think it is the firest fire of the universe, then I post it here and get called names by y'all (not that I care). I tend to REALLY like music that I make
>>
Music didn't exist until the dialup noise.
>>
>>61422804
the dialup noise exists in nature. first observed in 1304.
>>
>>61422566
But it still has a worth, you wingnut
>>
Watch High Fidelity
>>
>>61422830
>tfw no field recordings of ancient dial tones to jam to

Why even music?
>>
>>61422384

They appreciated it more. A hi-fi system was typically a family's biggest technology purchase in the 70's/early 80's. Music was mixed, mastered, and recorded better (shitty earbuds, Beats, laptop speakers, and car stereos didn't exist or weren't as prominently used in those days, so no Loudness War compression to accommodate shit setups).

You can see evidence of this in any thrift store. The used records from that era you typically find are classical, jazz, and "easy listening," which is actually better music than shit like Grimes, especially from artists like Les Baxter, Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman, etc.

A used record/CD collection from a younger Gen-X/Millennial will probably heavily feature Nu-Metal, Boy Bands, Champagne Rap, and bad Top 40.
>>
>>61422569
>Listen to music on low quality speakers

Are you kidding me?

An average 70's hi-fi system was world's better than the shitty logitech speaker system you're listening to your badly mastered /mu/core on.
>>
What's the difference between synthpop and electropop?
>>
>>61423157
synths
>>
>>61420165
And how would you know if something tickled your fancy? it's not like you could usually give something a sample listen in-store. so by liking the album-art?
>>
>>61421928
>psych folk
I mean, shit, how do you define psychedelia in the first place? Wouldn't it just be "folk that emulates the psychedelic experience"?
>prog folk
Folk that bridges the musical elements between folk and progressive rock.
>freak folk
This is a genre that I've never really gotten a solid definition of. The closest I could give you is "demented"-sounding folk that almost sounds like it could've been made by forest people.
>acid folk
Same as psych folk.
>>
>>61423358

Record stores had listening stations.
>>
>>61422262
>At what point does Japanese music stop being "J-pop" and start being "World music"?
"World music" is a lazy, catch-all term and should be used less.
>>
>>61423157
electricity
>>
File: 1326058340174.jpg (21 KB, 183x149) Image search: [Google]
1326058340174.jpg
21 KB, 183x149
>>61423410
>Record stores had listening stations.

duuuude
>>
>>61423157
Former is more sparse-sounding, latter is more dense.
>>
>>61423527

Yes they did, and still do. Did you only buy records at Best Buy or Walmart?
>>
>>61423594
what about cd's tho?
>>
>>61423645
>what about cd's tho?

You could sample used CDs in most cases. And with new releases, stores like Tower Records and Virgin would have listening stations set up to listen a variety of new releases, in a variety of genres, as well. I remember the Virgin here had a listening station for each genre section.
>>
Do people actually like pop shit like the new Grimes or Carly Rae Jepsen or is it all one big joke?
>>
history before the internet is entirely fabricated
>>
Why can´t girls really go to the bathroom alone?
>>
>>61423792
I'm sure some people are joking, but with the amount of people talking about it, the majority probably really enjoy them. And hey! What's wrong with a little pop in your diet :)
>>
>>61423857
it's against the law
>>
>>61423857

They hope the sound of obnoxious conversation will drown out the farting.
>>
do I really need to know music theory to make just like guitar music or can experimenting and just writing down the shit that sounds good work too
>>
I don't really understand how time signatures work. Can different instruments play different time signatures (drums 3/4; guitar 6/8, etc.) or does the song have only one overarching time signature that aggregates all the instruments together, if that makes sense?
>>
>>61424380
you can do whatever the fuck you want, but in most cases, it will sound incohesive, unless you really know wtf you are doing.

Certain songs i've listed to had a 3/4 back melody, but 4/4 lead.
>>
>>61423858
I will fight you if you talk shit about CRJ
>>
Why do people like Outsider music?
>>
>>61424489
If instruments are playing different time signatures, does the song have an overall time signature? If so, how is that calculated?

Also any songs with interesting time signatures you'd recommend?
>>
Why do consumers of music compete with each other?
>>
>>61424584
There's beauty in chaos
Plus some of it is hella interesting
>>
>>61422569
with inflation you just blew $560.55 and bought
about 30 albums. ..FYI
>>
File: 1316177738396.jpg (9 KB, 277x238) Image search: [Google]
1316177738396.jpg
9 KB, 277x238
>>61423527
I used a listening station this goddamned week. This isn't ancient history.
Even if you know the record is good, if you're buying it used you want to make sure it plays well.
>>
File: image.jpg (174 KB, 1200x798) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
174 KB, 1200x798
Does anyone listen to the radio anymore? (besides car)
>>
>>61425253
Plenty of people usually stream radio stations online or they listen to random playlist on streaming stations like Spofity or Pandora

[spoiler]I personally stopped listening to radio because most of the stations are shit and keep playing the same thing over and over again[/spoiler]
>>
File: 1445655225197.jpg (21 KB, 568x440) Image search: [Google]
1445655225197.jpg
21 KB, 568x440
>>61420165
>vinyls
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.