[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your opinion on artists putting effort into image
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: MOCA_still_05.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
MOCA_still_05.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
What's your opinion on artists putting effort into image as well as music?
>>
It works for some people (Björk) and for some people it's garish and retarded (Madonna)
>>
File: Pieriot_God.jpg (505 KB, 962x1377) Image search: [Google]
Pieriot_God.jpg
505 KB, 962x1377
>>61413547
It can help, but the music needs to be able to stand on its own.
>>
>>61413583
this
>>
>>61413547
It's alright if the image coincides with and enhances the music
It's not alright if the image compensates for the lack of substance in the music
>>
I think that's what every artist should do. It makes them stand out and can actually elevate the music.

The problem is when the image doesn't complement the music at all and completely overshadows it.
>>
Some genres depend on image, first an foremost rap, which is mostly about how much money the rap man has, and how big his penis supposedly is.
You remove the image, you remove the entire genre, and you leave millions of fans disoriented.
>>
File: BadGirls.jpg (96 KB, 750x305) Image search: [Google]
BadGirls.jpg
96 KB, 750x305
It's a very small group of artists who can flawlessly articulate sound into image.
>>
>>61413778
Maya is such a master of this
>>
>>61413819
Yeah. Maybe unfair to compare her to other musicians seeing as she was a visual artist before music.
>>
>>61413746
Not so much about big dicks anymore but the vague term of "aesthetic" is thrown about often when talking about the likes of Travis Scott or ASAP Rocky, and w/o it they'd be nothing.
>>
>>61413547

i like when the look is an extension of the values , of the world view of the artist. let's say i prefer punk rock diy stuff rather than fucking retarded BLING shit. a visual style conveys a lot of information.
>>
>>61413778
you mean very few have teams of people doing that for them, backed by money and third party interest in marketing them
>>
>>61414611
All you need is vision.
>>
File: image.jpg (402 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
402 KB, 1280x800
I think it is good
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.